• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is there any chance for a system shock 2 remake or maybe a SH3 ?

samoilaaa

I know games like these are not very popular because they are very hard and require alot of thinking and attention span but still finishing the game was very fun and everytime i managed to finish a puzzle it felt very rewarding

So did the game sale enough to justify a remake of the 2nd game or a full sequel ? the only numbers i can find is 80k copies sold , is that good or bad for a game of this caliber ?

EDIT : i made a mistake in the title i should have put SS3

Last edited:
Doesn't Tencent own System Shock 3 rights? I'm pretty sure they gobbled up the studio that was making it and then development was halted. I'd say it's a low chance, but who knows, maybe Tencent will surprise us, but:

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
We just had the System Shock 1 Remake and I don't think it sold too well, despite being amazing.

It'll be a few more years until someone tries to do an Immersive Sim again I guess. Such an underrated genre. We will never see an actual System Shock 3 I think.

StereoVsn

We just had the System Shock 1 Remake and I don't think it sold too well, despite being amazing.

It'll be a few more years until someone tries to do an Immersive Sim again I guess. Such an underrated genre. We will never see an actual System Shock 3 I think.
This makes me sad since System Shock Remake was so good, but it just didn’t do well enough.

SS2 Remake in same manner as 1 would have been amazing. ☹️

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Doesn't Tencent own System Shock 3 rights? I'm pretty sure they gobbled up the studio that was making it and then development was halted. I'd say it's a low chance, but who knows, maybe Tencent will surprise us, but:

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF
You have the order flipped, the dev struggled on it for a few years and then their publisher (Starbreeze) pulled out and they halted development and sold the rights and assets off to Tencent, who don't appear to have done much with them. But I don't think you can blame Tencent for the game going off the rails, Otherside had a lot of issues as a dev and seems to have struggled all on their own.

It's a shame, as Otherside employed a lot of old-school veterans of Looking Glass Studios (their name was a reference to the "Other side of the Looking Glass"), and on paper they should have done great things, but their only shipped title Ultima Underworld released in a disastrously unfinished state (like, it didn't even have a functioning save system at launch). It did get some very substantial patches that eventually made it playable, but they never recovered and the game bombed catastrophically. System Shock was being handled by a separate team, but from what I understand it was probably not the game that fans wanted, and definitely more indie in scope.

I think they're making a Legally Distinct Thief game now.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
I know games like these are not very popular because they are very hard and require alot of thinking and attention span but still finishing the game was very fun and everytime i managed to finish a puzzle it felt very rewarding

So did the game sale enough to justify a remake of the 2nd game or a full sequel ? the only numbers i can find is 80k copies sold , is that good or bad for a game of this caliber ?

EDIT : i made a mistake in the title i should have put SS3
I think System Shock 2 has pretty good mods that bring its gameplay up to modern standards. You could try checking that out; and if you haven't, just play Prey (2017) for a modern System Shock experience.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

This makes me sad since System Shock Remake was so good, but it just didn’t do well enough.

SS2 Remake in same manner as 1 would have been amazing. ☹️
yeah the remake is an amazing game , i know its a hard game but it also feels so good once you manage to solve a problem

samoilaaa

I think System Shock 2 has pretty good mods that bring its gameplay up to modern standards. You could try checking that out; and if you haven't, just play Prey (2017) for a modern System Shock experience.
i played Prey , it was amazing , i think i played almost all immersive sims

i think its a curse that all immersive sims have poor sales :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You have the order flipped, the dev struggled on it for a few years and then halted development and sold the rights and assets off to Tencent, who don't appear to have done much with them. But I don't think you can blame Tencent for the game going off the rails, Otherside had a lot of issues as a dev and seems to have struggled all on their own.

It's a shame, as Otherside employed a lot of old-school veterans of Looking Glass Studios (their name was a reference to the "Other side of the Looking Glass"), and on paper they should have done great things, but their only shipped title Ultima Underworld released in a disastrously unfinished state (like, it didn't even have a functioning save system at launch). It did get some very substantial patches that eventually made it playable, but they never recovered and the game bombed catastrophically. System Shock was being handled by a separate team, but from what I understand it was probably not the game that fans wanted, and definitely more indie in scope.

I think they're making a Legally Distinct Thief game now.
Yeah, I couldn't quite remember what happened. I'm pretty sure Spectre came out and said that it was probably better that tencent took it than what they were doing with it.

Bummer all around though I guess.

Top Bottom