• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this because my video card is fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackMage

Banned
Right now the screen is perfectly fine on my notebook like nothing is wrong. When I go to play video games on it, something like this happens:

untitled.jpg

Is my video card pretty much fuxxored? Stupid ass notebook computer.

Crow

most obvious questions

- whats your video card?
- have you recently upgraded your drivers?
- have you tried reinstalling/upgrading your drivers?
- what are your current drivers?
- have you ever overclocked your video card?

BlackMage

Banned
Crow said:
most obvious questions

- whats your video card?
- have you recently upgraded your drivers?
- have you tried reinstalling/upgrading your drivers?
- what are your current drivers?
- have you ever overclocked your video card?

1. Ati radeon mobility 9600 64mb
2. No
3. Yes
4. The ones that came with the notebook. I had omega drivers when this shit went bad.
5. ... ok yes! I was using ati tools but I've been overclocked at a safe level. At least I think so, as i've been using ati tools with it for almost a year at the same speed.

Crow

ok yeah...a fried video card might be the issue, and I assume that you have already clocked it down to its default settings.

just;

- Make sure you have uninstalled the previous drivers before reinstalling. Installing ontop of old drivers can cause problems (especially when it comes to ATI)

- If you have a system restore before the Omega drivers try that.

- IF ALL ELSE FAILS backup and reinstall windows

but yeah, there is not much more advice for me to give. Maybe some bright spark will jump in this thread and save the day...but it seems to me that the vid card is fried. Notebooks have less ventillation then PC's and not really suitable for overclocking.

Diablos

Hopefully it's a driver issue. If not, then yeah, your fan is dying and the core has likely overheated and thus ruined... there's no comin' back from that, based on what I've read.

If that only happens in games, and the rest of the time the thing works fine, then I'd have blame it to overclocking shnanigans. If the card is indeed fried, you shouldn't be seeing a damn thing.

Clock it down to default, reset the drivers, have a shot of tequila, and see what happens.

Crow

Shogmaster said:
If that only happens in games, and the rest of the time the thing works fine, then I'd have blame it to overclocking shnanigans. If the card is indeed fried, you shouldn't be seeing a damn thing.

Clock it down to default, reset the drivers, have a shot of tequila, and see what happens.

When we say fried, we don't mean the chip burnt to cinders...overheating can permenantly damage a chip to a point where it can do so much but in the case of the video card...it may be able to process 2d environments but fails to render 3d envronments, shaders and such.

Definetly check out the drivers and all first. Would be my first guess, even reinstall windows if it comes to that. But it is entirely possible that the card is mulfunctioning from damage caused by overheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom