• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this plagiarism? A tribute? An homage? Or did Square Enix hit a new sell-out low?

Rajang

Not that uncommon. There's a Dutch TV show called Expeditie Robinson and they use alot of music from TLoU. Have heard many soundtracks from different games in alot of different tv shows.

TalonJH

Reminds me of this:
vanilla-ice-itty-bitty-ting-o.gif

"We sampled it from them but it's not the same bassline. It goes 'ding ding ding di di ding ding… ding ding ding di di ding ding.' That's the way theirs goes. Ours goes 'ding ding ding di di ding ding… DING… ding ding ding di di ding ding.' That little bitty change -- it's not the same."

Lots of people never owned a Playstation. PS3 was my first Sony console. FF13 was my first final fantasy. FF7 is like. A billion years old at this point.

The h in homage is silent isn't it? It "oh-mahj"

Oh no, what a bad introduction to FF.

On topic: But yeah Sonto, you're right.

Mawarup

Neo Member
I remember when I was younger, my parents were watching lots of Thai dramas and my ears perked up when I Yuna's Theme just playing in the background of some scene in the drama. And it was not only just one drama that did it, several used even the same song for terrible scenes.

Roldan

no need to complain about the rotated image when the issue is on the sound. lol

anyway, what language is this?

JediLink

OP, you held your camera the right way, but then uploaded the video the wrong way, thereby somehow making it even worse than regular vertical video. I never thought it was possible.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iY59XIv8R7A

Liberi Fatali used in a Hong Kong drama from 2000,My Date With A Vampire 2.
Bonus plagiarism: King of Vampire walking out of flames aka Sephiroth in
Nibelheim.

Loved the show for its over the top, manga like plot though.
Ha, most of the YouTube comments are people asking where they can find that amazing music. :)

As for the topic at hand there's a comedy club near me that lays random jazz music in between acts. I immediately recognised stuff from cowboy bebop, had a bit of a chuckle to myself.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
In my country Chile there was a show about ghosts o some shit that used the Resident Evil music, it was hilarious. Of course they stole that shit without paying nothing.

m@cross

You could blow up my dog with a sonic canon of most games music and I wouldn't recognize it. I knew what this was immediately on hearing it though.

Bad sign of things to come for the female in the video. ...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Since it turns out they ripped an album recording I'd have to agree with you... but holding the position that you can't cover a song and then sell it or make money off of it is laughable.

You legally can cover a song and sell it, but you have to provide notice to the original artist and pay them royalties when you do that. At least that's how the US law works.

sakipon

Since it turns out they ripped an album recording I'd have to agree with you... but holding the position that you can't cover a song and then sell it or make money off of it is laughable.

You really think it's okay to sell a cover of a song without paying or crediting the original creators? So a great composer does all the work and some random artists can just steal it? Wow.

This is the FF7 theme guys..... lol. I really don't feel like the OP needed to clarify this but apparently he did.

Surprised so many people have no idea what the OP is talking about. Did you not hear the music?.

Y'all deaf.

Wow people either didn't know, or forgot about a song from a game that came out three generations ago. Shocking.

Super Mario Bros. is 30 years old. If the main theme from the game was used in a TV show without permission you think it wouldn't be immediately recognized?
Sorry but that is a really horrible comparison. First off all the theme from SMB is way more distinct than the theme from ff7. ( ok I guess that is something that is subjective and hard to measure) But SMB was wayyyy wayyy more popular than FF7 so more people are more likely to remember the smb theme than FF7 theme. Even if both SMB and FF7 sold to the same amount of people( which really isn't even close), the theme song from SMB is dominantly played and repeated throughout the game, and along with the replayability of the game, the smb theme is more likely to become lodged into somebody's long term memory. Factor in that the theme also is heard by people in other games with levels that are meant to be played over and over, and yeah I don't think it's a good comparison at all

Resilient

1. Surprised many people didn't know what this song was straight away.
2. Why would you record in potato-portrait and then potato-rotate it?! Why?!

god I feel old, people not knowing ff7.

That shit was everywhere when I was in high school (96-00)... FF7, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil.

What an era.

daveo42

Banned
While I don't speak the language, using the main theme from FF7 doesn't seem like it fits with anything happening on screen. I could be a biased...

As for the legality of it, I'm sure they didn't even consider the fact that anyone would care. I mean, it's just a video game or whatever.

I saw a commercial that used a quick cut of a clip from the final episode of firefly. Cant remember what the commercial was but to this day I wonder if they had permission.

The clip in question is when kayley and river are playing "jacks" at the end of the final episode. The clip in the commercial started right as the camera dropped and you couldn't see their heads. Just the rubber ball dropping and river grabbing her jacks.

=O

I never expected this from someone like Uematsu.

I mean, I always thought his music was original...

Oh wow, Square was rotten way before the Gooch left.

What a sad day for this revelation, I hope Kotaku writes about it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Guys, guys.

This just means we're getting a
Bollywood
Final Fantasy VII HD Remake.

Goteki_45

This is actually pretty common. I even remember this track from FFVIII being used on a news channel in Jakarta when they would sum up the news headlines for the day.

Burt

The real problem here

is not warning me

that this was a portrait video

that goes into inverted SSJ4 Evil Portrait Mode

And yeah, common stuff. No one has the means to pursue this sort of thing internationally outside of a few major markets.

I know an egyptian soap opera i watch occassionally plays that Call of duty "PRess X to" song during the funeral everytime something sad happens.

Top Bottom