• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Vehemently denying a games existence despite it being all but confirmed wrong?

EDarkness

This is why we have: No Comment

Exactly. I'm not sure why people are so accepting of flat out lying. There's no reason to lie and it's wrong to lie...especially about something not worth lying about. Just say, "No comment." It's easy and simple. I think we should stop the lying in the games business and just not say anything at all. I don't agree with Jim that often, but in this case, I do. I don't believe anything any company has to say because they lie about so much stuff. A non answer is better than lying about it.

It couldn't be more morally neutral.

There is literally no ethical discussion to be had about this.

The only people who could possibly be hurt by this are devs being harassed because they dared to try to keep what they're working on secret.

Kant was against lying seeing it as morally wrong in any circumstance because it diminishes the value of truth. Anyway, I don't think you have to be a Kantian to dislike lying even when noone's hurt.

Head.spawn

I feel like if it were your money on the line, you financing and meticulously planning the marketing around a product, pitching ideas back and forth, contracting art, licensing music and doing all the logistics around making sure your product is best presented while arranging previews, media spots, commercials, interviews, putting in tons of hours with a team to make sure everything is just right and marketed as well as it should be... you'd probably have a different take on things.

Then someone leaks your shit to Kotaku.... you just throw it all away? Eat all the money spent?

They want their products presented in the best way possible, not some limp toss out on a page for a few clicks with no details behind it by someone who really doesn't know wtf they're talking about.

Don't get me wrong, I personally like reading the stuff that gets leaked but I totally get why the companies aren't fond of it.

The problem more often than not is that the company has an exclusive deal with whoever is expected to make the initial launch announcement and leaking the information or acknowledging leaked info affects that exclusivity.

People pay good money to ensure they are the ones that get the reveal... it's kind of a big deal, so it makes a lot of sense to deny it until an official announcement just from the business side of things.

Thorgal

just posting again for the new page but i realize that making it a right /wrong question was probably not the right way to go .

The problem with "no comment" is that these days, that gets read into as a tacit confirmation by enough people that various marketing deals lose their full value, especially if the project is real and close by.

If someone at Bioware gave a "no comment" on them making Kotor 3 after a rumor came out that they were working on it, then you know damn well there'd be a 5 page thread up within the day.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't see why it's a matter of right or wrong.
Because for a medium that has an audience as big as gaming, way too few in that audience seems to ever take a step back and think about real life things like marketing schedules, it's always about anthropomorphized studios who're evil because reasons.

The problem with "no comment" is that these days, that gets read into as a tacit confirmation by enough people that various marketing deals lose their full value, especially if the project is real and close by.

If someone at Bioware gave a "no comment" on them making Kotor 3 after a rumor came out that they were working on it, then you know damn well there'd be a 5 page thread up within the day.
This is also true.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It's really stupid that there's so much secrecy. Like, we know movies are coming years in advance, whether or not they actually end up being filmed. The title being out there isn't going to keep people from buying your game.

Not if you give the exact same answer to all rumors, whether they're true or not.

Don't say "no" to false ones and "no comment" for true ones. That's super dumb.

"We don't comment on rumors or speculation" is good enough to cover all situations.

Does this happen often? I only remember 2 cases where the developers said "No, not happening" only do be real and indeed happening. one was PlatinumGames denying working on Metal Gear Raiden and the other one was Jaffe denying he was working on whatever game he was indeed working at that time.

maxcriden

"Say that I laughed" is my favorite no comment, especially since it preceded the announcement of MM3D by well over a year.

”Please write that I laughed," Aonuma told IGN in response (after, indeed, laughing). "Don't make it sound like I laughed because I was troubled or inconvenienced or put out. I don't want them to read anything into it. But if you want to say that I laughed, I think that would be a good answer."

When pressed about how fans should interpret that, Aonuma simply told us, ”it's really up to them. If they want to interpret my laughter as, ‘yeah, we're making it' or ‘no, we're not,' I guess that's really up to them."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/12/zelda-producer-on-majoras-mask-remake-say-that-i-laughed

As that article mentions, at the preceding E3 a few months before Aonuma's comment, Miyamoto had mentioned MM fans were "still in [his] memory." This was in response to a question about what happened to the potential MM remake, as back in 06/2012 (a year prior), Miyamoto had said Zelda 3DS would be either a MM remake or something involving LTTP. (Then in 04/2013, LBW was announced.) So us MM fans were teased for a looong time before the game was finally announced in 11/2014 (and thankfully released just a few short months later in 02/2015).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/20/nintendo-still-thinking-about-majoras-mask-remake
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/12/zelda-3ds-its-majoras-mask-vs-link-to-the-past

Fake edit: in brushing up on MM3D's development history on its Wiki page, I learned fans were teased even longer than I'd realized:

The Legend of Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma and co-developers Grezzo had started the development of Majora's Mask 3D immediately after the release of Ocarina of Time 3D, in June 2011. The project itself, however, was put under wraps for the majority of its development, with Aonuma and others involved with its development neither confirming or denying the existence of the game, but rather, suggesting that a Majora's Mask remake was "not an impossibility", depending on interest and demand. Following the release of Ocarina of Time 3D, a fan campaign called "Operation Moonfall" was launched to prompt Nintendo and Grezzo to remake Majora's Mask for the 3DS, in vein of Ocarina of Time 3D. The campaign name is a reference to a similar fan-based movement, Operation Rainfall, set up to persuade Nintendo of America to release a trio of role-playing video games for the Wii. The petition reached 10,000 signatures within five days.[citation needed] In response to the feedback, Nintendo of America released a statement: "At the risk of dampening the excitement you feel, I must be clear that no official announcements have been made regarding a remake of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask for the Nintendo 3DS. However, we like hearing what our consumers find important." In an interview with GamesRadar in November 2011, Aonuma acknowledged Operation Moonfall, and told fans that he hopes to respond to their request sometime in the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Majora's_Mask_3D

It's really stupid that there's so much secrecy. Like, we know movies are coming years in advance, whether or not they actually end up being filmed. The title being out there isn't going to keep people from buying your game.

This was actually a really long thread a while ago, so someone else should go find it lol.

The difference between those two forms of media is that when movie buffs here about changes made during production, they don't throw the same tantrums that gaming fans do. A developer on Twitter talked about how all the developers swap stories about what they're working on, but they never comment publicly because if gamers ever found out about a project, they'd stir up enough crap about various features that the project would either end up overhyped or prematurely vilified.

I found the tweet that started that thread.

Not if you give the exact same answer to all rumors, whether they're true or not.

Don't say "no" to false ones and "no comment" for true ones. That's super dumb.

"We don't comment on rumors or speculation" is good enough to cover all situations.

People did do this. But honestly, what do you think the ratio of BS rumors to real ones is these days? Most of the time, write-ups are closer to accurate than not (even the inaccurate ones are just working on slightly older builds that have since changed).

If there were more "RUMOR: Mario to appear in Halo 6" articles, then sure, people could point to that as a time when "no comment" was attached to a false story. But those articles are rare.

Again, most people these days hear "no comment" and assume what that means. It isn't correct (logically or otherwise), but them's the breaks.

watership

The reveal, marketing, hype and all the related work that goes into those things means a company likes to control the information. There is nothing inherently wrong with that. Calling them out on that is silly. We don't have rights to private information, no matter how much we might love a publisher/dev or property.

SMD

It's just as morally reprehensible as vehemently denying that you are preparing a surprise party for anyone when you are, in fact, doing so. People that do that should go to jail. So horrible. Disgusting.

You in the habit of being friends with companies?

Either it's a business and there's journalism or it's all just PR and we're mugs.

It's exactly the same as investigating films, TV shows, music, sports - ultimately these are things people want to know about as soon as the information is available but knowing early is utterly useless unless there's a direct impact to your purchasing decisions.

This obsession with reveals is weird, though not as much as the people defending companies' PR.

Spman2099

I very strongly disagree with Jim Sterling on this one... The game company is NOT obligated to confirm ANYTHING. They get to release information at their own pace, based on their own strategy. There is no moral obligation whatsoever. It isn't their fault if a journalist gets criticized for something they write, even if that criticism is unjust. The game company is not obligated to save that journalist from themselves. Personally, I think Jim is way to close to the subject and completely incapable of being impartial here.

This obsession with reveals is weird, though not as much as the people defending companies' PR.

I am quick to cynicism when it comes to big companies. However, I am not going to criticize them when they aren't functionally doing anything wrong. I will save my criticism for the many actual injustices.

Those PR firms are staffed by workers though, not fat cats. And leaks can hurt their chances at landing these contracts.

"Here's our resume of all the PR we've worked on."
"Ah, I remember how everyone found out about this one way before you guys actually did anything. Leaky ship, eh?"

That's not a question people want to deal with. Tight ships and impactful trailers still get talked about, and that helps those workers who put it together.

Ultimately, I'm sympathetic to Dale, but she's in the business of leaks, and that means you'll take some punches until the reveals come out.

Edit and double post, sorry. Checked the dates.

I half expected this post, so just to break these down (which I've done before multiple times on gaf in precisely this argument):

Colter is NOT the central character of H5, Chief (arguably Chief and Cortana) is, the story is fundamentally about them, with barely even backstory on Locke (Colter's character) and yes, that's separate from the perfectly valid complaint that you don't get to play as chief enough - and further, this interview happened in the middle of testing and development when that balance wasn't actually finished. So you can put that one down as either "wrong" or "argument" but it certainly wasn't a deliberate lie.

I could look it up if I had some time, but on the H2A doesn't exist, I can't tell from that quote if I was deliberately obfuscating MCC by stating that H2A didn't exist as a product (which I did several times to hide the bigger surprise of MCC) or (just as likely since I had to do it several times) this was before we greenlit that aspect of MCC (the switchable H2 anniversary graphics) and it literally wasn't true at that time no matter how you sliced it.

And you can also look at the more recent and vehemently clear H3 denials, where there was no surprise to obfuscate so we were super literal.

SECOND EDIT: I think the CA thing was literally before MCC was greenlit, so there's no mystery there at all. CA did work on some H4 stuff. Maybe that was what the original news item was?
Thanks for clearing that. I didn't want to say you lied if that seemed so, but I think it's valid to say that some statements were "misleading", which actually was you point. I'm totally on board that there no need to confirm every leak or blind guess that comes up. Having this big first announcement is pretty important for creating a hype fora game. In general it's great that 343i is pretty active on reddit, neogaf, etc. In the end it just felt disappointing if the community understood a statement in a plausible different way than it was meant to.

jennetics

Before I proposed, my (now) fiancee was eager to figure out what my plan was. She knew that something was up and kept asking me but I kept denying anything was going on. I put way too much effort into my proposal to simply tell her just because she was interested.

If I'm okay with "lying" to my fiancee, I'm okay with video game companies "lying" to me about their upcoming projects. They don't need to tell me anything until they're ready.

This may not have been the greatest analogy lol

SMD

I am quick to cynicism when it comes to big companies. However, I am not going to criticize them when they aren't functionally doing anything wrong. I will save my criticism for the many actual injustices.

Apart from when they hang out journalists to dry?

Those PR firms are staffed by workers though, not fat cats. And leaks can hurt their chances at landing these contracts.

"Here's our resume of all the PR we've worked on."
"Ah, I remember how everyone found out about this one way before you guys actually did anything. Leaky ship, eh?"

That's not a question people want to deal with. Tight ships and impactful trailers still get talked about, and that helps those workers who put it together.

Ultimately, I'm sympathetic to Dale, but she's in the business of leaks, and that means you'll take some punches until the reveals come out.

Eh? I'm talking about normal people defending really bad PR like lying just to claw a few days worth of plausible deniability.

Spman2099

I don't see why they are obligated to do anything but answer a journalists answers in any way they see fit. People being shitty sucks, but a company has no obligation to protect that journalist. I just don't think there is any moral obligation there.

The focus there should be the people being awful. Not on a company having some kind of moral obligation to come out and say "you got us, all the information that you dug up, that we had strategically attempted to hide, is correct".

When a game is announced the developers are staking their reputation that the game will be completed and its content will be consistent with the details that are included in the announcement. Before the game is announced it's important that the developers have the freedom to cut features, cancel the whole project, or entirely change creative directions without having to worry about a fan backlash (and many gamer subphylums have the well-earned reputation of being incredibly toxic).

I believe that, "We don't comment on rumors and speculation", "We have no comment", "we have nothing to announce", or even "(laughter) we have no such project under development" are entirely fair and true statements to give in response to rumors about games that are under development but haven't yet been officially announced. It's not fair to expect developers to pre-announce projects before they're ready and then have to endure toxicity when the actual announcement or released game doesn't conform to what people were expecting.

To boil away everything and get to the underlying ethical issue, I consider a false denial to be "ethical lying" if it's in response to someone prying into private details they are not entitled to and where disclosure could cause problems.

Things are different from a PR point of view, but that discussion is much less interesting to me.

Plum

Eh? I'm talking about normal people defending really bad PR like lying just to claw a few days worth of plausible deniability.

Who are you talking about? Because Supermassive didn't lie nor did they hang out LKD to dry.

Devs don't owe anyone shit in this case. They have a marketing plan. They don't owe journalists who publish leaks anything and consumers are not entitled to know about projects under development. Hell, even investors aren't always informed about what is in development.

No problem with leaks but thinking it is wrong for devs to deny them is just crazy

Floody

I don't mind it, but as others have said a simple "we do not comment on rumours or speculation" is all they need to say. But they always have to say it, not pick and choose when it suits them.

Rellik

Unlike some people in here, I don't like being lied to.

No problem with them keeping things private, but when your shit is out there then don't lie to my face and deny it. Just say something like "We don't comment on rumours" and all is good.

L Thammy

I'm not sure why anyone would think this. It's a product. You always have the option of not buying it if you're that anal retentive about knowing about the game as soon as anyone starts working on it.

Wink

Yes, I think vehemently denying is wrong. Being silent is perfectly acceptable. "We have nothing to announce atm" is perfectly fine. A company has to be able to deal with things as leaks professionally and I don't consider vehemently denying very professional if you know you're vehemently lying. Just do company speech, PR speech, leaks happen, deal with it professionally, don't act out of spite. You will look like a Jackass and especially viewed in the context of Jim's argument (which I found as most of the time presented too one sided to completely agree with him, but) I find it fair to point out how the little white lie is really only the tip of the iceberg when companies open their mouths... so yeah, a little "neither confirm nor deny" would be preferred to the lie in my eyes.

And to everyone comig up with clever analogies: big companies do not view you as their beloved or best friends and their games as the betrothal surprise or secret parties!
Even vehemently denying such a thing for the benefit of a person you're close to probably comes off as endearing, you trying your hardest to make them happy. If you instead vehemently deny the suspicion of your friend that you hope you can get him to do something for you (aka give you 60$) and are just waiting for the perfectly planned out sequence of events to play out so that he will be more likely to do that something for you, even if you offer him a service in return... you're not endearing, you'd be a scammer. Think through your analogies people ;)

Sheroking

I understand why companies "stick to the plan", lie and deny the existence of something that clearly exists. I also understand that for the time between that denial and the ultimate announcement, the journalist who claimed it's existence is made to look like a fool.

And while I agree that Laura Kate Dale and others who report on unannounced products are just doing their jobs, I don't think the studios and publishers behind the games are morally obligated to respect that. Just like it's her job to root out any news or announcements (potentially furthering her career) at their expense of their plans, it's their job to maximize the PR of the game and often that means timely reveals and announcements.

So I choose to see the many idiots who rush to social media to attack journalists or prematurely slash at their credibility as the villain here. These are the only people without a point.

If you instead vehemently deny the suspicion of your friend that you hope you can get him to do something for you (aka give you 60$) and are just waiting for the perfectly planned out sequence of events to play out so that he will be more likely to do that something for you, even if you offer him a service in return... you're not endearing, you'd be a scammer. Think through your analogies people ;)
Devs lying about what game they are working equals them scamming you?

o_O

It's their product, so I feel they should get to reveal it how they want to. And if that includes lying, that's fine by me; I don't really have a sound reason to compel a company to just stick to "no comment" — a limp response compared to denial of existence — if I can't prove harm is done otherwise. As long as the product doesn't officially exist, I don't think there's any moral or ethical compulsion to be honest about it exactly because it doesn't exist. No consumer has a consumer-producer relationship through a product that doesn't officially exist. So naturally, this doesn't apply the moment it's announced, but otherwise, seems like fair game to me.

I'm not sure why anyone would think this. It's a product. You always have the option of not buying it if you're that anal retentive about knowing about the game as soon as anyone starts working on it.

Well that's the discussion then, isn't it. Is a denial of existence egregious enough to be critical or to go as far as to not purchase the game.

Blam

The game industry's inane secrecy makes no sense to me. no other entertainment industry does this. I don't know why they can't simply say "yeah we're working on this game".

Then again we've seen how gamers react when companies don't do exactly what they want.

Because unlike a movie these things are going to be able to be enjoyed much longer then a 1-3 hour movie.

I honestly don't find anything wrong with it.

Here's the trade-off: that company's statements become bunk. If you've proven that you'll lie in an official statement once—and openly stating something is untrue even though you know it is true is lying—then there's nothing stopping you from doing so again in the future. You give up trust and credibility.

You're better off simply saying "No Comment". I'm sympathetic to companies, because there are contracts and significant amounts of money involved in announcements, but I don't think an outright denial if you know something is true is the correct way.

//ARCANUM

To me it all boils down to this: publishers / game creators don’t owe us anything. They can announce their game how and when they please. It’s their game after all.

To me it all boils down to this: publishers / game creators don’t owe us anything. They can announce their game how and when they please. It’s their game after all.

They owe us nothing but this behaviour also implies they have no respect for our faith in their word; customer goodwill is really expendable in this industry. This speaks volumes about gamers and how terrible consumers they are too of course.

Blam

I don't see the logic there.
It's mainly for spoiling certain surprises or even just hype not being as big if they were more indie dev open about it givvijg daily blog posts. I mean sure movies don't do that but not everyone is gonna be looking at a leak for a set compared to a leak for a game.

Jyester

I thought Jim was really off base with this one, and I usually agree with him. Like others have mentioned, it came across as though he's looking out for LKD. The harassment leveled at her is awful, but you can't fault the PR reps (or Michel Ancel) when they refuse to confirm whether a game is in development. In the cases mentioned here, it doesn't sound like anything is being denied outright.

A game like BG&E2 obviously needed a strong E3 showing, considering both the situation with Vivendi and the on and off development of the game itself. I'm sure Ancel and Ubi were nervous about info coming out ahead of time, because they needed to come out guns blazing.

Companies have no obligation to confirm anything that they're working on. I'd imagine that answers like the ones given by Supermassive and Ancel are common in a semi-casual interview setting. A "no comment" will lead to more questions, so the developer or PR rep will do their best to redirect the conversation without completely discrediting the information. Whatever the case, we aren't owed anything if a journalist happens to uncover something.

Dryk

Personally I think that falsely accusing people of lying to save face is wrong. But apparently I'm in the minority there.

DesiacX

No, because i assume anyone involved in a project is under an NDA to not acknowledge it exists until Marketing says it exists. If there is a leak in a dam, you don't bomb the whole thing, you try to patch the hole.

I say try, because at that point, they are no longer in control of the title's discussion anyways, and are practically applying duck tape till the scheduled explosion. Saying "No Comment" or "It doesn't exist" is like saying there is no war is Ba Sing Se, you've basically confirmed it for anyone speculating on the subject.

Top Bottom