• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is your avatar a bunch of crappy text? The thread to fix that lives again!

I had NO idea that avatars over 90 px wide were allowed (assuming it stretches to 120 or less vertically), even after readingthe FAQ multiple times. I can utilize that to make my avatar a hgh res picture!

I was wondering why some people, when avatar quoted, they had a high res picture. I always figured that the users doing the avatar quoting searched Google or something for the high res picture.

Zoe

Why would you do that? said:
I had NO idea that avatars over 90 px wide were allowed (assuming it stretches to 120 or less vertically), even after readingthe FAQ multiple times. I can utilize that to make my avatar a hgh res picture!

Er... please don't. It looks like shit and picks up jaggies when they get sized down.

Red Scarlet

I added the right click thing in the OP, that's how I check. So far they seem good in this thread.

jrricky said:
So how about letting me be able to have an avatar,pretty please?

I had nothing to do with that one, so I can't undo what someone else already did. :(

noneofexion said:
current one should resize to 90x104. within limits. the auto-resize tripped me up last time, thanks for the update.

edit: can you please reset? i have set the 90x104 (after resize) as my av in the user CP but still have the placeholder. thanks!

I didn't change yours, either. :(

Peronthious, yours should be working again now. Sorry for using you as a guinea pig.

Zoe said:
Er... please don't. It looks like shit and picks up jaggies when they get sized down.
Hmm... Maybe it depends on the browser and the picture? I haven't actually noticed anyone's avatar with jaggies. I'll have to look again, and maybe experiment with stuff.

To be safe, I always make them 90x120 anyway.

DogWelder

Hmm... Maybe it depends on the browser and the picture? I haven't actually noticed anyone's avatar with jaggies. I'll have to look again, and maybe experiment with stuff.

To be safe, I always make them 90x120 anyway.
It does depend on the browser. In general, Chrome scales pictures better than Firefox. No idea about IE.

Red Scarlet

Platy said:
So .. no problem with my 50x50 ?

It's fine, but because of the upscale it's 2x as large as the original, so you could add blank space to the original if you don't want it to expand. But if you like how it looks anyway, then it's completely fine as it is.

KevinCow

Banned

Why would you do that?

Seriously, just stick with 90 wide and 120 or less tall. The way the board scales larger and smaller images looks like shit.

Nizz

Shin_Kojima said:
Posting here so I can review it.
I checked yours and it seemed a little big so I trimmed it up a bit.

2s67b0m.png

If you want to grab it and rehost. It's 90x120 now.

Checking mah avatar

e: So, it adds to the width until it reaches 90, then adds the same amount to the height? Mine should be 90 x 90 then.

Nilla

Banned
Whoops - mine was too large (filesize).

I've no idea how to shrink down an animated gif, so I'll just go with this picture of my dog for the moment.

KevinCow

Banned
Nilla said:
Whoops - mine was too large (filesize).

I've no idea how to shrink down an animated gif, so I'll just go with this picture of my dog for the moment.

Download GIMP. It's a free sort of Photoshop-light. Not nearly as fully featured as Photoshop, but it kicks the shit out of something like MS Paint. It'll let you shrink down a gif pretty easily.

causan

KevinCow said:
Download GIMP. It's a free sort of Photoshop-light. Not nearly as fully featured as Photoshop, but it kicks the shit out of something like MS Paint. It'll let you shrink down a gif pretty easily.

Thanks for the link. I was able to resize my gif with it.

*edit. Fixed. All good now :D

Majmun

Use the properties function and check your avatar(s), jeez!

edit-

hmm, never knew mine was 100x100.
Fixed it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
If you're using Chrome and you want to check (it doesn't have Image Properties)

right-click the image and press 'Inspect element'. Then look for the box 'Metrics'

11jn50y.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
KamenSenshi said:
my dimensions are good what about the size for some reason it varies when i check in ie compared to my normal

I'm getting 10.65KB in Firefox. It's well under the 150KB limit.

JaseC

Knux-Future said:
i'm no good at this avatar stuff...

how's mine?

Fine: 143x100 scaled to 90x63 @ 125.24KB.

GregLombardi said:
Is my avatar okay? I don't know how to measure pixels to be honest but I don't want to lose my avatar :)

Also fine: 71x93 scaled to 90x118 @ 46.61KB.

JaseC

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I've decided to update my Avatar Failures script. It will only "FAIL" avatars that are large.

Soooo, now you can do this more efficiently.

Bad avatars will look like this:

2vbpveu.jpg

And when clicked you'll see the size.

Top Bottom