• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ISIS fighters are on meth, claims captured ISIS militant - Connection to Saudi Prince

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGM1966

So let me get this straight. They kill civilians whom Muhammed many times stated were not to be harmed in war. They commit suicide which is against Islam, and they get drugged up which also against Islam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_military_jurisprudence

How is this open to interpretation?
Funny sent it. Small group of people (senior ISIS leaders) willing to leverage their troops to break their own rules to try and attains their strategic goals. Depressingly familiar throughout human history. It's what makes the religious angle laughable: in the end it's all about fanatical individuals convincing themselves the ends justify the means and willingly tossing out their supposed higher principles into the bargain.

Funny sent it. Small group of people (senior ISIS leaders) willing to leverage their troops to break their own rules to try and attains their strategic goals. Depressingly familiar throughout human history. It's what makes the religious angle laughable: in the end it's all about fanatical individuals convincing themselves the ends justify the means and willingly tossing out their supposed higher principles into the bargain.

Yeah, I think the fact that ISIS was going around destroying ancient religious structures not too long ago was clear evidence that religion was no longer the driving force in this. It's also not surprising that these looney tunes get drugged up in order to carry out these attacks. It's a sure fire way to ensure that actual emotion doesn't get in the way of the "goal". There's a lot to think about there...I really can't figure out what turns people in the direction of such a group initially, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom