• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ISPs can charge extra for fast gaming under FCC’s Internet rules, critics say

Spyxos

getty-network-800x533.jpg

"T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon are all testing ways to create these 5G fast lanes for apps such as video conferencing, games, and video where the ISP chooses and controls what gets boosted," van Schewick wrote. "They use a technical feature in 5G called network slicing, where part of their radio spectrum gets used as a special lane for the chosen app or apps, separated from the usual Internet traffic. The FCC’s draft order opens the door to these fast lanes, so long as the app provider isn’t charged for them."

Van Schewick warns that carriers could charge consumers more for plans that speed up specific types of content. For example, a mobile operator could offer a basic plan alongside more expensive tiers that boost certain online games or a tier that boosts services like YouTube and TikTok.

Ericsson, a telecommunications vendor that sells equipment to carriers including AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile, has pushed for exactly this type of service. In a report on how network slicing can be used commercially, Ericsson said that "many gamers are willing to pay for enhanced gaming experiences" and would "pay up to $10.99 more for a guaranteed gaming experience on top of their 5G monthly subscription."

Last edited:

Three

"many gamers are willing to pay for enhanced gaming experiences" and would "pay up to $10.99 more for a guaranteed gaming experience on top of their 5G monthly subscription."

Welcome to the fruits of Trumps killing of net neutrality (RIP 2018) and the UK abolishing EU Open Internet laws after brexit.

So cloud gaming dies one again?

No, now Sarah Bond can make deals with her former employer EE in addition to the BT deal, for this "special guaranteed gaming experience" and other companies might not have ties with the ISPs to offer the same.

I now have two Fiber companies and one Cable company offering gigabit downloads. Some offer up to 5gigabits. No caps yet.
Am I safe from pricing shinannigans with 3 companies competing?

StereoVsn

I now have two Fiber companies and one Cable company offering gigabit downloads. Some offer up to 5gigabits. No caps yet.
Am I safe from pricing shinannigans with 3 companies competing?
I am hoping this is for mobile shit only. On the plus side if this tanks mobile gaming maybe we will see real games on mobile again.

nikos

I already have a shit services with Optimum Online in the Bronx. Its the only service on my block.

door GIF

The ISP situation in NYC is complete bullshit.

Spectrum is the only one available to me. Verizon decided to stop running FIOS at the building next door. Probably some kind of agreement between ISPs.

Still have gigabit, and it's generally fine, but not having options and our ISPs not having competition is bad.

"T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon are all testing ways to create these 5G fast lanes for apps such as video conferencing, games, and video where the ISP chooses and controls what gets boosted," van Schewick wrote. "They use a technical feature in 5G called network slicing, where part of their radio spectrum gets used as a special lane for the chosen app or apps, separated from the usual Internet traffic. The FCC’s draft order opens the door to these fast lanes, so long as the app provider isn’t charged for them."

"many gamers are willing to pay for enhanced gaming experiences" and would "pay up to $10.99 more for a guaranteed gaming experience on top of their 5G monthly subscription."

So, basically they're throttling the bandwidth for normal monthly users and increasing the data cap or offer "data packs" (paid prioritisation) like microtransactions in games where we get coins/boosters.

This is a direct breach of the FCC's net neutrality rules which were reinstated. Isn't this one of Biden's promises when he was elected?

SHA

Why does that show a long ass Google link?

That's for single player loneliness,
Whoa, whoa, whoa
Whoa, whoa
If you're a lover, you should know
The lonely moments just get lonelier
The longer you're in love than if you were alone
Memories turn into daydreams, become a taboo
I don't want to be afraid
The deeper that I go
It takes my breath away
Soft hearts, electric souls
Heart to heart and eyes to eyes
Is this taboo?
Baby, we built this house on memories
Take my picture now, shake it 'til you see it
And when your fantasies become your legacy
Promise me a place in your house of memories
Whoa, whoa, whoa
Whoa, whoa
I think of you from time to time
More than I thought I would
You were just too kind and I was too young to know
That's all that really matters
I was a fool
Whoa, whoa, whoa
Whoa, whoa
Those thoughts of past lovers, they'll always haunt me
I wish I could believe you'd never wrong me
Then will you remember me in the same way as I remember you?
Promise me a place
Whoa, whoa, whoa
Whoa, whoa
In your house of memories
Whoa, whoa
Promise me a place (whoa, whoa)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
So, basically they're throttling the bandwidth for normal monthly users and increasing the data cap or offer "data packs" (paid prioritisation) like microtransactions in games where we get coins/boosters.

This is a direct breach of the FCC's net neutrality rules which were reinstated. Isn't this one of Biden's promises when he was elected?
They're trying to get around it because the wording in the ruling states they couldn't do this to companies, and favor a cloud gaming company over a different type of company, etc.. So instead they're trying to differentiate directly on consumers. Hopefully it gets aggressively shut down but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Anyone that knows anything about the ISPs and our infrastructure knows this all cloud gaming future is a joke, and won't happen.
It would be like expecting everyone to have an EV right now, like it wouldn't cause electrical issues.
Right, the infrastructure isnt even built to withstand the demand for EV charging if it was required of everyone, or ISPs having bandwith to service over hundred of millions of people with high speed data whe they already have data limits each month. Its all a pipe dream for short term profits and long term consequences.

Last edited:
Right, the infrastructure isnt even built to withstand the demand for EV charging if it was required of everyone, or ISPs having bandwith to service over hundred of millions of people with high speed data whe they already have data limits each month. Its all a pipe dream for short term profits and long term consequences.
and on top of that, every company is going to want a piece along the way. It won't make financial sense by the time they're all done trying to get theirs.

RayHell

Since they can no longer throttle 100mbps connection to 20mbps for their rival services they will offer 20mbps connection but speed up to 100mbps for their own services.

Codeblew

Xfinity is the trashiest broadband provider there is. 1.2TF limit. I would hit that half way through the month because I work from home, download a few games a month, and I am almost always streaming something on my computer or Roku. Almost anything is a better choice than Comcast/Xfinity. I have never had a problem with Quantum Fiber. No limits and speeds as advertised.

MarkMe2525

One thing to consider, the rules state they can't degrade your service if you don't pay, they can only charge you for even faster (lower latency) connections.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

One thing to consider, the rules state they can't degrade your service if you don't pay, they can only charge you for even faster (lower latency) connections.
They will have a new “minimum” standard for everyone and if you want a non shit experience, pay up.

My friend lives in a small rural town ( population 15,000) which setup community fiber and he gets gig up and down for $70 a month and their utility is completely profitable with only around 5,000 subscribers throughout their county, so you know the big dogs can offer even better service for less, but they are just totally greedy. The other part of this that is so maddening is that we keep finding ways to send even more data over existing fiber, meaning that companies don't need to be so stingy with their bandwidth if they upgrade the landing sites.

https://www.popsci.com/technology/fiber-optic-wavelength-record/

MarkMe2525

They will have a new “minimum” standard for everyone and if you want a non shit experience, pay up.
They can try, but they would opening themselves up to a suit from the FCC. It more likely is going to take the form of branded "gaming network" that will consist of a dedicated spectrum of the network.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Anyone that knows anything about the ISPs and our infrastructure knows this all cloud gaming future is a joke, and won't happen.
It would be like expecting everyone to have an EV right now, like it wouldn't cause electrical issues.
doesn't have to be n all or nothing offer. I have and love GEFORCE NOW, I also have a gaming pc, but hoping open my Mac for work and than at night gaming some on it is a treat and works wonderfully. Scream all you want but Cloud is going to be a real contender just like digital is the new norm even though everyone screams for physical media. It's inevitable.

Top Bottom