• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel Defense Minister Quits, Warns Of 'Extremist' Takeover

Status
Not open for further replies.
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel's defense minister announced his resignation on Friday, saying the governing party had been taken over by "extremist and dangerous elements" and that he no longer trusted Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu following reports that he was to be replaced.

Moshe Yaalon's departure removes a strong voice of moderation in the Cabinet and deepens the rift between the security establishment and the hardline politicians.

Yaalon told reporters that "Israel is a healthy society" with a "sane majority" that is tolerant of minorities and strives for a liberal and democratic society.

"But to my great dismay extremist and dangerous elements have taken over Israel, also over the Likud party, and are shaking the house and threatening to hurt its inhabitants," he said. "I fought with all my might against manifestations of extremism, violence and racism in Israeli society that threatens its sturdiness and is seeping into the army and already damaging it."

Yaalon said earlier he told Netanyahu that "following his conduct in recent developments and in light of the lack of trust in him, I am resigning from the government." He added in a Facebook post, that he was also resigning from Israel's parliament and was "taking a time out from political life."

Yaalon and Netanyahu have repeatedly butted heads over the role of the military in public discourse. Netanyahu was enraged earlier this month when a senior officer made public comments viewed as critical of the government, while Yaalon backed the general's right to freely express his views.

Yaalon said he always put Israel's security and other interests above his own, but "unfortunately I found myself lately in tough disputes over moral and professional issues with the prime minister and several ministers and members of parliament."

Tensions between Yaalon and Netanyahu escalated in March, when military leaders criticized a soldier who was caught on video fatally shooting an already-wounded Palestinian attacker. The solider is now on trial for manslaughter. While Yaalon has backed the military, hard-liners have backed the soldier.

Reports over the past few days indicate that Netanyahu intends to appoint former foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman to the post of defense minister. Lieberman, 57, is one of the country's most polarizing politicians. Over three decades, he has at times been Netanyahu's closest ally and at other times a fierce rival.

Netanyahu said he regretted Yaalon's decision and that he would have preferred him to stay on as foreign minister. The prime minister also said the political shakeup was not because of differences with Yaalon but out of the need to widen the coalition to "bring stability to Israel against the big challenges it faces."

He said the military "will continue to preserve the highest moral standards" and added that the army must remain outside of politics. "In a democracy the military echelon is subordinate to the political echelon and not the reverse," Netanyahu said.

Netanyahu this week invited Lieberman's ultranationalist Yisrael Beteinu party to shore up his shaky parliamentary coalition and negotiation teams have been meeting to hammer out the details of their alliance.

Yaalon's resignation solidifies the takeover of hard-liners in the party.

Cabinet Minister Gila Gamliel said that Yaalon's leaving was a "tremendous loss" for the ruling Likud. She told Israel Radio she believes it was a "mistake" not to offer Yaalon another position and keep him in the coalition.

Many Israelis have questioned the wisdom of appointing Lieberman to the sensitive post of defense minister over Yaalon, a former army chief of staff who is generally respected for his knowledge of military affairs. Lieberman has no such military experience, though he has held a number of Cabinet posts in the past, including stints as foreign minister.

His hard-line stance has made him an influential voice at home but has at times alienated Israel's allies overseas. He has questioned the loyalty of Israel's Arab minority and confronted Israel's foreign critics. He has expressed skepticism over pursuing peace with the Palestinians, and is now pushing a proposal to impose the death penalty against Arabs convicted of acts of terrorism.

With Israeli-Palestinian peace efforts stalled, Lieberman's addition to the government could push the prospect of reviving talks even further away.

Yaalon's departure also paves the way for Yehuda Glick — an Israeli-American activist who campaigns to allow Jewish prayer at Jerusalem's holiest site, sacred to both Jews and Muslims — to enter the government. Any perceived change to the status quo that bans Jews from praying at the site has sparked Palestinian violence in the past.

The hilltop compound in Jerusalem's Old City is revered by Jews as the Temple Mount, site of the two Jewish biblical Temples. It is the holiest site in Judaism. Known to Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary, it houses the Al-Aqsa Mosque and the gold-topped Dome of the Rock. It is the third-holiest site in Islam after Mecca and Medina in Saudi Arabia.

Tensions over the site erupted in September and months of bloodshed followed with dozens of Palestinian attacks on Israeli civilians and security personnel. Since then, Palestinian attacks, mostly stabbings, shootings and vehicular assaults, have killed 28 Israelis and two Americans. About 200 Palestinians have been killed during that time, most of whom Israel says were attackers.

Glick survived an attempt on his life in 2014 when shot several times by a Palestinian.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/isreal-defense-minister-warns-extremist

It's a shame people are still being labelled anti-semites for criticising Israel.

Especially politically in the UK right now.

cameron

That is depressing. Huge loss for the cabinet.
Yaalon and Netanyahu have repeatedly butted heads over the role of the military in public discourse. Netanyahu was enraged earlier this month when a senior officer made public comments viewed as critical of the government, while Yaalon backed the general's right to freely express his views.
The senior officer was IDF Deputy Chief of Staff Maj. Gen.Yair Golan.

Tensions between Yaalon and Netanyahu escalated in March, when military leaders criticized a soldier who was caught on video fatally shooting an already-wounded Palestinian attacker. The solider is now on trial for manslaughter. While Yaalon has backed the military, hard-liners have backed the soldier.
Tell me this isn''t mental.

And his replacement is the guy who said disloyal Israeli Arabs should be beheaded...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...alls-for-disloyal-israeli-arabs-a7039061.html
The man reportedly offered the role of Israeli Defence Minister has called for "disloyal" Arabic citizens of Israel to be beheaded.

Avigdor Lieberman, who has previously served as Foreign Minister between 2009 and 2012 and 2013 to 2015, leads the ultra-nationalist Yisrael Beiteinu party and has been described by some academics as a "far-right extremist".

The controversial cabinet move follows the resignation of his predecessor, Moshe Yaalon, who said he "no longer had faith" in Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Lovely.

Im no fan of the Israeli government, but if your defense minister is quitting becuase of extremism It is greatly concerning.... anytime you have any form of extremist in governing bodies, no good can come from it

Faustek

Oh, I remember this guy.
He was highly critical of the camp's Israel was using as housing for refugees. It's more akin to prisons than refugee camps.

Anyway, nothing good will come of this. If the religious nuts gain to much power the country as a whole will gain even more troubles.

EmSeta

It's a shame people are still being labelled anti-semites for criticising Israel.

Well there IS a lot of dubious anti-Israel stuff going around as well.

But yeah, the Israeli government is clearly peppered with some nasty far right extremists.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It sounds like the guy should probably leave the country. He's probably a marked man.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What is the opposing party like, how come they don't get enough votes?

In some ways the opposing parties are more well liked for their more leftist domestic policies. Netanyahu won by making Israeli voters afraid of palestinians and feel safer with him.

Ogodei

I feel like this recent cabinet marks the end of an era one way or another. The next election will be a tipping point for Israel. Not a move all the way to the left (which is nigh-impossible), but a move to a solidly moderate coalition which will begin to re-engage the peace process and pull back from the brink. Or the next election will lead to a Yisrael Beteinu led-coalition of nutters who will annex the West Bank and expel all non-citizens from the territory.

I could really see it going either way, though Yaalon is right in that a lot of Israelis aren't on board with this, but they clearly aren't willing to stand up to the slimier elements in Likud either.

Faustek

In some ways the opposing parties are more well liked for their more leftist domestic policies. Netanyahu won by making Israeli voters afraid of palestinians and feel safer with him.

Well he should know how to do it. He has a whole book about it.

Btw does he still hold. 70%+ something approval rating?

Nothing can change until they lose political power, and that'll be up to the Israeli people during their elections.

I fear overt outside influence in causing change will only make them attempt to consolidate even more of their ppwer.

Really hoping they vote them out when the time comes, for everyone's sake.

This is the big thing. Netenyahu has gotten outrageously good at playing the fear game, which is... pretty fucking unfortunate.

On the plus side, we're probably just one to two elections from seeing him and his tossed out; even with the really despicable stuff he threw around at the last election, he still needed the far-right minority's support to maintain power. I think his party's on its last legs.

So, who has control of those handful of Nukes now?

Probably his loony replacement.

Not that they're going to go on the offense, mind. Netenyahu's currency of power is fear, which he can best maintain when Israel is in a state of being at almost war.

M.D

Netanyahu is a scum and he needs to go.

Are you referring to this by any chance (Telegraph)?

ukfeuv5.jpg

Yup, no antisemitism. None at all.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
It sounds like the guy should probably leave the country. He's probably a marked man.
lol. This is Israel, not the Congo.

What is the opposing party like, how come they don't get enough votes?
They got around 4 less seats than Likud in the past election, but it's more complex than that. They don't get enough votes because the biggest block of voters in Israel are right-winged, and that's helped by the religious voting for the religious parties (who are also right-winged).

Additionally, the biggest "alternative" (Labour) did not produce any candidates that looked like good "leaders" to most of the populace.

Well he should know how to do it. He has a whole book about it.

Btw does he still hold. 70%+ something approval rating?

He never held 70% approval rating. Usually hangs around 40-50%.

Speaking of polls, a poll from Friday ( http://news.walla.co.il/item/2962594 ) shows 50% of Israelis prefer Yaalon (the previous DM) to the new one's 29%.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Netanyahu is a scum and he needs to go.

Are you referring to this by any chance (Telegraph)?

ukfeuv5.jpg

Yup, no antisemitism. None at all.

Independent of the OP news, what the UK politicians are saying is definitely antisemitism. 'Hitler the greatest man in history' and 'Wipe Israel from the map' isn't antisemitism? Is sure is.
Going by the name, the UK politician seems that she is of Turkish ancestry.

FoxSpirit

Man, just crazy that there are people supporting that soldier. I mean there's a video, it's an execution.
Israel has been in a steady decline into an absolute right-wing extremist state in the past 10 years. Incidents that caused media stirs 10 years ago don't even have people batting an eye anymore.

Dear US, please don't vote Trump. All hell will break loose with that nutjob completely, unconditionally supporting Israel.

bionic77

Other than Canada it seems like a lot of major nations are moving way out to the right.

That concerns me. I don't really understand why either.

effzee

Other than Canada it seems like a lot of major nations are moving way out to the right.

That concerns me. I don't really understand why either.

I don't get why either but my theory is that terrorism works when you see people react in elections by going further and further right and picking candidates who are xenophobic, racist, and or religious fanatics.

One of ISIS's stated goals is to eliminate the "grey" zone where Muslims live happily in the west. They want to make it a us vs them world War and electing far right candidates fits.

Scary stuff.

Israel has been in a steady decline into an absolute right-wing extremist state in the past 10 years. Incidents that caused media stirs 10 years ago don't even have people batting an eye anymore.

Dear US, please don't vote Trump. All hell will break loose with that nutjob completely, unconditionally supporting Israel.

Trump is not religious at all, so he really doesn't care about Israel. We do have to worry about his hate for Muslims though.

Well there IS a lot of dubious anti-Israel stuff going around as well.

But yeah, the Israeli government is clearly peppered with some nasty far right extremists.

I'm not really sure the right / left axis can be applied to Israeli foreign policy, really. It's basically unique in the world.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Minister of Environmental Protection also quit for the same reasons. http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.721822

Not really going to change anything, and the next election is (probably) too far off for the short memory of the public to even remember this at that time, plus-- I'm pretty sure the people who vote for Likud won't be against this move on the whole

Also, regarding polls, this recent poll shows that only 26% of (Jewish) Israelis are "satisfied" with Netanyahu's performence as PM (I imagine this is much lower in non-Jewish circles), and that 72% of all social media chatter regarding him is negative. However, alarmingly, the younger the voter the more likely they are to be satisfied with Netanyahu (and males are more likely as well), we can see similar trends in other countries and that's unfortunate.
Even with these 'poor' ratings he is still by far the most likely candidate to win an election if it is performed today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom