• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

it feels good to be a nintendo fan again

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

My first console was NES and so my earliest memories of video games was on that console. I was lucky enough to be able to experience the stable of classic nintendo franchises as they were coming out and it was a fantastic time. Nintendo I felt really came into their own with SNES and on some of my more cynical days I will argue that video games peaked with that console. In my mind there are few games better than Mario World, Link to the Past and Super Metroid.

After that I remember being blown away by the demo of Mario 64 at a blockbuster and I desperately wanted a N64 for christmas that year. Unfortunately, they were sold out everywhere and my parents ended up getting me a PSone. This is when I started parting ways with nintendo. I briefly had a gameboy advance and a gamecube but never really dived into those libraries. I borrowed a wii from a friend to play through mario galaxy and resident evil 4 with pointer controls but since then I have been completely lapsed as a nintendo fan. I imagine my story is similar to many of you.

very recently I have fallen into some health issues and so I've picked up a n3ds to play in bed. I have been reliving the SNES era through virtual console and have been plugging away at link between worlds. it has been great to experience these favorite games of mine again.

With all this being said, I couldn't help but get caught up in the switch hysteria and I recently bought a bundle with mario kart 8 deluxe that I'm still waiting on to come in. With Switch it feels like Nintendo is on some kind of return to form. I really like what I'm seeing with how they are planning a major title every month and I can't wait to dive in to Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey. I also like that they are pushing new franchises that are sure to reach "classic" status one day (ARMs, Splatoon). And of course, the fact that I'll have the freedom to play wherever is a really nice bonus too. It's like they finally nailed a gimmick that is practical and attractive to me.

So I guess to sum all this up, it just feels really good to enjoy Nintendo again after so long and I was wondering if anyone else in the community is feeling this way too? I'm riding high after the spotlight yesterday.

related photo of me as a kid:

DmNkFR9.jpg

Kolibri

I've been a fan of Nintendo's creative side since the 80's.

But I'll never be a fan of them as a business. It's far to hard to defend some of their stupid crap.

Well for me it never really stopped. I think the Wii U had some of Nintendo's best first party efforts in their history, even if there weren't very many. Nintendo will never go back to being my solo console but their output is so consistently high quality that owning a Nintendo piece of hardware always feels necessary to me.

mindsale

I never left them as a fan, they just made hardware decisions that made me begrudge having to buy them to keep up with Smash Bros and Mario and Zelda.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
E3 Thread Locking Rules:
During E3, we have a standing policy against "5 second reaction threads". What is a 5 second reaction thread? It's a thread that you make immediately after an announcement, or in some cases after a lack of an announcement, where you are really just blowing off steam. These threads include things like: "Wow Sony just won E3!", "Where's Retro's game???", "How will the other conferences match Ubisoft's?!?!", "Wow every game had playable female characters", "Was GAF's hype for Fallout premature?", "Damn how will Sony match the Scorpio?", "Are you buying an Vita 2?". Short version: If your thread is a question that popped into your head a few seconds ago, you shouldn't be posting it right now.

Why do we do this? During E3 lots of news and announcements are breaking and it can be hard to keep track of it all. Low content reaction threads make it hard for users to find what they're looking for, and because passions are running hot they also tend to lead to people yelling at each other. If you just wanted to make a quick comment, try to make it in reply to the relevant thread.

This also include poll threads like "Who do you think won E3?", "Best graphics of the show", etc. Typically we get 5 or 6 of these every E3, and while we'll eventually let one go unlocked, it won't be until at least the end of the show.

One final note: if you post a thread based on fake news (i.e. claiming something was announced when it wasn't), your thread starting privileges will be revoked.

If you still believe this subject requires a thread, polish it up a bit and re-post when stuff cools down no earlier than next Friday. Thanks. You can check this policy post from E3 2015 for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom