• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'It' Producer to Adapt Sci-Fi Epic 'Ma.K' for Warner Bros.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...roducer-adapt-sci-fi-epic-warner-bros-1041130

ma.k_deck1-1_-_p_2017.jpg

Roy Lee has teamed with Scott Bernstein to adapt the Japanese property for the big screen.

Fresh from the record-breaking box-office haul of horror-thriller It, producer Roy Lee is now setting his sights on giant robots and two-legged tanks.

Lee has teamed with Scott Bernstein, the Universal executive turned producer, and Warner Bros., which released It, to adapt Ma.K, an epic sci-fi property out of Japan.

Originating in the early 1980s in Hobby Japan magazine, Ma.K was a monthly comic that also tied into customizable model kits. It was created by artist and sculptor Kow Yokoyama, who worked with the magazine's editors to create an expansive universe inspired by Star Wars, Blade Runner and World Wars I and II. The combination of manga and models took off, gaining a worldwide cult following over time.

The story is set far, far into the future after a nuclear war caused survivors to flee Earth. When the planet is habitable once again, new colonies are set up, but it's not long before a battle over resources begins. When one side wants to make Earth independent, a new revolutionary war begins, this time with mechanized armor and robots.

"Kow is a world creator in the truest sense, and this project finally gives Ma.K a global audience who will experience this epic and rich sci-fi property as fans have for the last 35 years," says Kevin Munroe (TMNT), who will executive produce with Yokoyama, Rick Privman and Yumiko Miyano.

Whoooaaaa. Cool for mecha / ma.k fans, provided it isn't shit. That teaser image mech isn't looking round enough though :(

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
That sounds as niche as it gets. Hopefully its given the breathing room it needs instead of mining the source material and translating it into Hollywood schlock.

Not

Banned
CAST A JAPANESE-AMERICAN ACTOR

DO IT YOU FUCKS

NO MORE RACIST DOG WHISTLES

JAPANESE PEOPLE HAVE TONS OF EXPRESSIONS AND ARE NOT A MONOLITH

NO, IT'S NOT "COLORBLIND" TO CONSTANTLY PREVENT ASIANS FROM BEING THE LEADS IN FAVOR OF WHITE ACTORS

A WHITE LEAD ACTOR IN A BAD MOVIE IS THE SAME AS AN ASIAN LEAD ACTOR IN A BAD MOVIE

I'M SURE IF YOU GO TO THE TROUBLE OF CASTING THE PERFECT UNKNOWN CHILD ACTORS YOU CAN GO TO THE TROUBLE OF CASTING A JAPANESE PERSON WITH AN AMERICAN ACCENT IN YOUR MOVIE

YOU TAKE BIGGER RISKS PUMPING 170 MILLION INTO UNKNOWN-IN-THE-WEST JAPANESE PROPERTIES IN THE FIRST PLACE

COME ON YOU FUCKS

Ross61

CAST A JAPANESE-AMERICAN ACTOR

DO IT YOU FUCKS

NO MORE RACIST DOG WHISTLES

JAPANESE PEOPLE HAVE TONS OF EXPRESSIONS AND ARE NOT A MONOLITH

NO, IT'S NOT "COLORBLIND" TO CONSTANTLY PREVENT ASIANS FROM BEING THE LEADS IN FAVOR OF WHITE ACTORS

A WHITE LEAD ACTOR IN A BAD MOVIE IS THE SAME AS AN ASIAN LEAD ACTOR IN A BAD MOVIE

I'M SURE IF YOU GO TO THE TROUBLE OF CASTING THE PERFECT UNKNOWN CHILD ACTORS YOU CAN GO TO THE TROUBLE OF CASTING A JAPANESE PERSON WITH AN AMERICAN ACCENT IN YOUR MOVIE

YOU TAKE BIGGER RISKS PUMPING 170 MILLION INTO UNKNOWN-IN-THE-WEST JAPANESE PROPERTIES IN THE FIRST PLACE

COME ON YOU FUCKS
Well then.....

Pyccko

Oh SHIT

Maschinen Krieger movie? I am way way into this. Playing destiny has put the MK aesthetic on my mind a lot lately. (It was a big inspiration for the look of the Fallen's tech).

Busty

Banned
I had never even heard of this property before I read the article on THR but I can guarantee you that if this does ever get made the studio will completely redesign all those mech/armoured suits as they have to be some of the ugliest designs/aesthetic I have ever seen.

Expect this to have a more 'mainstream' look closer to Halo or Titanfall or even something like Macross than this..,

cb6c8efc0f10f5a678f3ddf109174e1c.jpg

Warners aren't making a $200m sci-fi epic with action figures that look anything like this.

Top Bottom