• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It seems like EA are banking on Call of Duty platform exclusivity in the future

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

Gudji

Seems to me like he’s saying he hopes it goes exclusive so that battlefield has a larger audience.
Yup that's my take too. If playstation fans don't have CoD they'll play whatever is available on the platform.
Not everyone is suddenly going to switch platforms for one game unless you only play that game.
That's why Sony is also agressively persuing more GaaS titles in hopes that one or more strucks gold.

HTK

Banned
EA needs to learn how to make a good Battlefield game because regardless of the market landscape and competition, if you can't make a good game it won't fucking matter EA.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I still don't think it will go exclusive; as I've been saying.

But if it does, it's likely going to increase competition instead of limit it; as I've been saying. You'd see more FPS games being made, not less. Sony is in a very dominant position currently, and so is Call of Duty. This would allow a strong 3rd system competitor, and allow other FPS games a chance at more investment and more of a spotlight. That's kind of the opposite of monopolistic.

anthony2690

Gold Member
I can understand why EA CEO would hope for cod to go exclusive, as it means they would have the playstation market to themselves.

I don't think cod will go exclusive under Xbox though, unless they really wanted to go all out with maybe the next Xbox generation? But I don't know and nor does anyone else here know what the future plans are, unless you're Phil Spencer on a secret account.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up porting cod mobile to switch. (Assuming it would be suitable for the platform?) I've never played it, so it might not translate well for all I know.

GHG

Gold Member
There's also marketing deals to consider. It's unlikely Microsoft will continue to persue exclusive marketing deals for the BF series should they manage to tie up ownership of COD.

There's potentially an opportunity for EA to take whatever money Sony were previously spending on their COD marketing deals for future BF titles.

Bragr

Banned
Hum they did?

They’ve expanded the Star Wars universe more in the last 7 years than Lucas did in 40, and not just through novelization
Yeah but it's been pure shit, they reinvented it in a negative way. It's anti-creativity. It's like reinventing a car with a horse pulling it around.

I would actually go so far as to say that the new Star Wars push is treason and punishable by death or at least life in jail.

Of course ea would be fine with Microsoft exclusive. They could corner PlayStation market with battlefield, given if they can figure out how to make a competent one.
However, I assume Sony is working on a cod alternative. Either with Bungie or maybe the new developer made of old COD veterans.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I came here to understand how Fifa benefits from this, then I saw Battlefied name... It was good laugh thank you. This is not like banking, it's more like mortgage though.

HTK

Banned
Vince Zampella is now ahead of the franchise so I'm hopefully he will come up with something good. Titanfall was good so is Apex legends.

I definitely believe in Vince Zampella, I just don't know to what extent he's involved and on what type of a BF game...but it's definitely little bit more comforting with him at the Battlefield Helm.

Not sure why Sony hasn't thrown a bag of money at Vince Zampella to create a new exclusive FPS for PlayStation...

xHunter

There's also marketing deals to consider. It's unlikely Microsoft will continue to persue exclusive marketing deals for the BF series should they manage to tie up ownership of COD.

There's potentially an opportunity for EA to take whatever money Sony were previously spending on their COD marketing deals for future BF titles.
People that are already complaining about Sony moneyhats are not going like it in 3 years when Sony has all that CoD marketing money available for more moneyhats. Will be a fun time.

Saber

To even muster the courage to poop talks like that, the bare minimum would be release a good BF first.
And like, its EA. Scum practices its what they do for living. I dont even know why this deserves a thread, only if people think both him and Spencer are the same side of a crap.

Last edited:

NickFire

To even muster the courage to poop talks like that, the bare minimum would be release a good BF first.
And like, its EA. Being scum its what they do to farm money. I dont even know why this deserves a thread, only if people think both him and Spencer are the same side of a crap.
What did he say that was remotely untrue?

He acknowledged short-comings in the last couple releases --> TRUE
He didn't say it was going exclusive, only that there are questions over it --> TRUE
And he said being platform agnostic could be an opportunity if it goes exclusive --> TRUE

Saber

What did he say that was remotely untrue?

He acknowledged short-comings in the last couple releases --> TRUE
He didn't say it was going exclusive, only that there are questions over it --> TRUE
And he said being platform agnostic could be an opportunity if it goes exclusive --> TRUE

What he said could be valid for basically everything.
If it was Nintendo case, if it was Sony case, etc. He is just an oportunist, a vulture.

SLB1904

Banned
Yeah, but this isn't really a negative view of cod going exclusive and doesn't really suggest that it will be.
its a negative for Microsoft and a positive for EA. oh definitely suggest it will be exclusive . if phil spencer dodging the direct question about cod staying indefinitely on ps was evidence enough

Top Bottom