• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It was 5 years ago today Abdulrahman al-Awlaki was killed by his own government

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morat

Banned
Obama's embracing of assassination by drone is probably my biggest issue with his presidency. Thanks for making the thread, OP.

daxy

Obama's embracing of assassination by drone is probably my biggest issue with his presidency. Thanks for making the thread, OP.

But he's just so damn charismatic!

Agree entirely. These strikes are such insane overreach. I'm surprised it's been tolerated for this long.

KRod-57

Banned

But he's just so damn charismatic!

Agree entirely. These strikes are such insane overreach. I'm surprised it's been tolerated for this long.

I agree, I find his drone program very troubling.. but really it's the US's foreign policy as a whole that needs to change.

Mark L

OP thank you for making this thread. And for those who feel a need to rush to defend Obama's policies because Hillary will no doubt follow through on them and expand on them, don't bother: anyone who watches his bellicose rhetoric for ten seconds can tell that Trump would be as bad or worse. This is about the use of drones as a policy, not about the politicians who use them.

Riposte

giphy.gif

Obama's legacy will have a hard time distancing itself from the normalization of drone assassinations (blowing up weddings, double tap to kill first responders). Whoever is the next president (Hillary) will almost certainly continue this, as what usually happens with abuses of power and future presidents.

It does seem the US and many of its citizens are okay with this happening in another country. But if it where to happen in America does anybody think it'd be okay? So what makes it okay in another country?
There's a saying -
As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy.
We may not be quite there yet, but we're not far off.

steamingsarcasm

Neo Member
It does seem the US and many of its citizens are okay with this happening in another country. But if it where to happen in America does anybody think it'd be okay? So what makes it okay in another country?
There's a saying -
We may not be quite there yet, but we're not far off.

Something about "cultural ties" where they cannot empathize with people who they don't have a geographical/cultural/national/racial/humanical relationship with...
I don't know what it means either, but the logical hoops that people leap through to justify themselves are seriously depressing.

It does seem the US and many of its citizens are okay with this happening in another country. But if it where to happen in America does anybody think it'd be okay?

For 'this' to happen quite a lot of other things would need to happen as well:

-America would have a second Civil War
-The New Confederates would take over a large part of the country, killing or expelling all federal government officials
-In this New Confederacy slavery would be reintroduced, women would be forced to dress modestly, music would be banned and non-Christians massacred
-What was left of the US government would be unable to retake the lost states
-From the New Confederacy terror attacks would be launched against other countries

Now we'd be in a similar situation. Say a country like Brazil is being attacked from these rebel held territories and with the permission of the US government launches a drone attack a town in Mississippi where terrorists are gathering.
And they hit a US civilian who traveled out of his own free will to the New Confederacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom