• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Its crazy how many female world records are from the 80s...

Raonak

Banned
I did a quick scan through the data, doesn't really look like 80's is much of an outlier at all....?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I did a quick scan through the data, doesn't really look like 80's is much of an outlier at all....?
I skimmed and sorted the charts too. There's a bunch of 1980s stuff. But what the OP is trying to get at is why are 35-40 year old records still holding up. You'd think modern day athletes would blow past them by now.

However, for a bunch of those records, they are still there but outdated. For example the races in imperial measurements (yards) arent really done anymore. Even stated in the wiki. But races now are in metric (meters). So those old records will last forever. It's not like someone can just banish a 100 yard race record just because meters is the standard.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Soviet steroids were best steroids comrade.

rocky-iv-dolph-lundgren.gif

Gp1

Open the wiki's entry on every single 80's world record holder and you will find a "Allegations of performance-enhancing drug use".

There is even one where a East Germany athlete is complaining that her training partner received a higher dose than her.

Top Bottom