• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's easier to drop games than return when you forget the controls/mechanics

cormack12

Gold Member
Especially those with deep control mechanics

I put down FFVII Remake a while back and I'm up to that fucking annoying house boss. I've forgotten a lot of the summons and buttons and am dreading it.

Surely it's about games added some sort of refresher mechanic now. It's most likely to end in frustration.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s rare I drop games I almost research every game purchase. I knew FF7R had awful combat but it’s led by good story, characters and game design.

cireza

I always play RPGs in two sessions, separated from several weeks/months. Never was an issue. Buttons eventually come back in the middle of the action, and nowadays you have tutorials/hints available in the menus, so you can read them quickly.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Often happens to me with VR games. I recently fired up Half Life Alyx and spent good 5 minutes trying to figure out why my SMG won't eat more than one clip of ammo before I realized that I needed to upgrade it first.

I also need a while to get my bearings whenever I return to play Elite Dangerous after a longer break. That game has like a billion controls ans features.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Very few games do "re-onboarding" well. Especially difficult action-adventure games or RPGs with complex systems rarely come with an in-game "training" mode that the player can scale back to basics, like Sekiro or Sifu.
It's the source of my love-hate relationship with DLC - nothing better than an expansion of a banger game right? Especially when it comes a year after the release with end game ultra hard missions you need to perfectly navigate all systems to face, when you already forgot which button is jump.

Last edited:

Inuteu

dropped Sekiro on the very last boss cause I couldnt defeating him and I was stressed after the grind of beating all the opional bosses including deamon of hatred

Im pretty sure I will never go back now cause I lost all the pratice

Aesius

I go about halfway through Metroid Prime 2 when Elden Ring came out. ER took over and I recently tried to get back into MP2 and had no idea WTF I was doing.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Ever since I cleared most of my backlog I tended to always focus on one game until the end, no matter how much I enjoyed it. Only recently I figured that I actually hate this. Now I started juggling many games and occasionally dropping a game for weeks, like God of War recently. Stopped playing it once it started to bore me and only picked it up again the other day. And surprisingly it’s not that bad. Only needed 10-20 minutes to find myself into it again and story bits I forgot I can easily read up on wiki. Not ideal but now I’m actually enjoying the game again instead of dragging myself through. Gonna stick to this playstyle in the future for sure. With these long as games and their horrible pacing there is no other way for me.

Flutta

Banned
I remember walking around in Skyrim with my sword drawn because I could not for the life of me remember how to put it away.
Google is one click away???
Homer Simpson Thinking GIF

Bartski

Gold Member
dropped Sekiro on the very last boss cause I couldnt defeating him and I was stressed after the grind of beating all the opional bosses including deamon of hatred

Im pretty sure I will never go back now cause I lost all the pratice
There is an immortal zombie warrior in the dilapidated temple that is perfect for practicing. It's a great warmup - I spent like an hour there after booting the game when they released boss rush, just to remember controls and get a feel of parry timing. This update also allows you to practice against individual bosses. I actually think Sekiro is a good example of a game that does it well.

Ryu Kaiba

Ever since I cleared most of my backlog I tended to always focus on one game until the end, no matter how much I enjoyed it. Only recently I figured that I actually hate this. Now I started juggling many games and occasionally dropping a game for weeks, like God of War recently. Stopped playing it once it started to bore me and only picked it up again the other day. And surprisingly it’s not that bad. Only needed 10-20 minutes to find myself into it again and story bits I forgot I can easily read up on wiki. Not ideal but now I’m actually enjoying the game again instead of dragging myself through. Gonna stick to this playstyle in the future for sure. With these long as games and their horrible pacing there is no other way for me.
God of War is one of the few games I've been able to successfully drop and months later pick back up and regrasp the controls. I think it was the moves list in the menu that helped a lot.

Top Bottom