• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Halloween, post your favorite horror games

andymcc

Banned
here is why castlevania iv should be considered a horror game:

evilromero said:
Baroque and dark jazz-infused soundtrack (the best in the classic series), brilliant atmosphere that really instills a sense of dread- like a dark disease eating away at your flesh. Then there's the awesome gameplay mechanics- 8-way whipping, crouching crawling, whip swinging, moon walking on the stairs, jumping on the stairs just to name a few conventions that have all been REMOVED from the series since.

Just watch the intro. And yes, it's a dreary trip through the Transylvania countryside. A trip that makes you feel ill from the darkness that constantly looms throughout. No crappy techno-rock here.

ZauMelz

Neo Member
HA! Somone beat me to it - no need for me to post any pictures; my three fave horror games right here:
Baloonatic said:
2104_1240452458VlB4.jpg

Forbidden-Siren-2.jpg

splash.jpg

Good taste Baloonatic, good taste... :D

The Shadow Hearts series has a really great creepy vibe.

Also, I'd really love to play Shadowgate for NES right now. VC please.

avp1-aliens-vs-predator-pc-boxart.jpg

- Not exactly a horror game, but one of the few games that can guarantee a jump from me (especially while playing as a marine).

5197.2.jpg

- A lesser known horror/adventure game, but one of my all-time favourites.

KAL2006

Banned
The only time I have ever been scared of a game was Resident Evil (PS1). I think that was because I was younger back then, and it was my first scary game.

No games really scare me anymore, even movies dont do it for me.

i just recently picked up Folklore, it's nowhere near anything scary but the art style and atmosphere has a halloween look to it imho. I love it thus far.

Aru

Project Zero is the scariest game I've ever played.
I will never play this game in the dark with high sound volume again !

Nowhere near enough love for:
condemned_2_bloodshot2.jpg

The police station level is one of the scariest, most freaky moments in any game I have ever played, second only to Eternal Darkness' bathtub scene.

I love horror games!

I bought Penumbra and I'm planning on playing it soon, what is the official order for the three games? I was planning on playing them in order unless somebody suggests I shouldn't.

As far as my personal choices, Silent Hill 2 is a great game but it's not that scary to me. It's incredibly thoughtful, oftentimes depressing or somber, but as far as being outright scary it's not as terrifying as Silent Hill 1 was at the time.

Dead Space, Condemned.... all good games, but more on the adrenaline scares, a bit like RE4... they're intense for sure and if that's what you're after you should play them. Dead Space especially is one of my favorite games this generation because of the awesome world they've built for it.

But even today, the scariest game I think I've ever played is Fatal Frame 2:
thumb-fatalframe2_5.jpg

I don't know what it is, but this game really gets to me, and I love it. The camera mechanic is perfect for this kind of game. You don't have real "weapons" and the choice to force you into first-person works by limiting your view and giving you a close-up of the ghosts. Couple that with the fact that you have to let them get close to you in order to kill them, and that they often "rush" you when they get close, leads to a fantastic, horrifying experience.

So if you want my vote for the game that is going to scare you this Halloween, give Fatal Frame 2 a try.

Ricker

I'm downloading Siren for the PS3 right now,finally hehe,hope it's good...quickly,off the top of my head I have to say Residen Evil...to this day,I never jumped out of my chair in a game like I did with the hallway doberman entrance and getting a headshot shotgun kill, out of sheer panic(the second floor/camera angle/zombie in your face part) =)

Jme

Midnight Snack scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. Did not age well (obviously) but holds a special place in my gaming past.
MidnightSnack_0.png

Alone in the Dark (Original)
Resident Evil (All of them, but 4 is my favorite.)
Silent Hill (All of them but 2 is my favorite.)
Fatal Frame
And last but not least:

cover.jpg

Talyn

timetokill said:
I bought Penumbra and I'm planning on playing it soon, what is the official order for the three games? I was planning on playing them in order unless somebody suggests I shouldn't.
Yes, they need to be played in order. The 2nd one begins right where the 1st one ends. Official order is Overture, Black Plague and Requiem. Note that the last one is more focused on puzzles than anything else, the main plot wraps up in Black Plague.

ManeKast

Demons Souls - evil, scary and tense. Pure Black World Tendency for Halloween as well, which makes it, even harder and more intense.

Talyn said:
Yes, they need to be played in order. The 2nd one begins right where the 1st one ends. Official order is Overture, Black Plague and Requiem. Note that the last one is more focused on puzzles than anything else, the main plot wraps up in Black Plague.

Thanks much, I'm downloading Overture on Steam now :D

Penumbra is the scariest game I've ever played. It made me physically shake with dread.

I want to play Clive Barker's Undying but I think there's a problem in Vista where it causes the character run really slowly and I've never been able to figure out how to fix this. If that's the way the game is then it's kind of a deal breaker.

kai3345

Banned

faridmon

None, because i am not man enough to play a horror game.

the scariest one for me was RE4 and that's not considered a horror game

codecow

Great games listed here. For me it would be: The Lurking Horror, Resident Evil, System Shock 2, and Call of Cthulhu.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Sega1991 said:
I guess it's time to preach about Afraid of Monsters again, a Half-Life 1 mod that borrows its mood very heavily from games like Silent Hill.

huf39v.jpg

Scares the hell out of me as much or more than any game can, even with its dated graphics. If you want to see it in motion to get a better feel for it, I uploaded a little over an hour of video from it to my Youtube channel a couple weeks ago.

The director's cut is truly great. The gameplay is balanced with just enough ammo and batteries to get by, and the challenge is consistent. Only boring part was the city imo, but that only makes up maybe a fifth of the game. The hospital, forest, apartments, and the last stretch of gameplay after the forest which I won't spoil....all so excellent. I played a Sven Co-op level based off of it and it was good fun as well. Half-Life has so many great atmospheric mods. I took a look a Mod DB because someone linked to the Dear Esther page, and I saw a mod called Mistake-1 that looks fairly similar to the first part of AoM.

btw lol I loved Sonic and was born in 1991. It was indeed a good year.

Ecto311

My wife really liked watching me play though all 3 of the fatal frame games. My self, I liked the suffering a lot more.

GhaleonQ

Pretty much covered except for:
Silent Hill 3 (another vote, just for fighting's sake)
Rule Of Rose (another, 'cause it's Punchline)
Resident Evil 0 (it scared me more than any other one, shut up)

shrapnelmagnet said:
This game was epic, lol
915-1.jpg

0620-hugo.jpg

Hated the part where you gotta get past the dog...

That was one of the first graphical adventure games I ever played, awesome game and one with a lot of nostalgia value for me. It's quite short when you know what to do, but oh well, it's fun while it lasts, and there are two sequels. Overall the game doesn't try to be too scary, but there are a few moments... When I went into the dining room without a mask it definitely made me jump or something like that. "Do you want a chop, sir?" :)

Overall though, number one isn't even close. Eternal Darkness. It's a fantastic, fantastic game, one of my favorite games on the Gamecube, and definitely my favorite horror game. I know some people dislike it... but I'm not one of them, that's for sure. Gameplay, graphics, music, story, world design, all the little touches... it was all just absolutely brilliant. The few minor flaws (such as that it's maybe too easy to heal your sanity when you have the Book) do little to blemish its greatness.

Top Bottom