• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's literally just hit me that Silent Hill is back - I cannot wait for the remake

It's a funny old situation isn't it? Fans wanted it back for so long, I've been dying for another since finishing Shattered Memories so long ago. I ended up playing that just after Downpour. Konami went, look guys, we're back! We're bringing Silent Hill 2 back with incredible graphics developed by Bloober team! Then fans went, Bloober team? Oh man, I'd rather it stayed dead.

But you know what, it took it's sweet time. But it's finally hitting me that it's back. I watched the trailer a couple more times and now I'm so freaking psyched it's unreal. I can't wait for it. Who's getting it on release? And who is waiting for after release and why?

I'm pretty skeptical about it until I see more. I haven't ever actually gone back to the Silent Hill series despite loving it when it was released. I don't know how much part 2 still holds up today honestly, or if a remake is the right answer.

Best case scenario is it turns out something like RE2 Remake. RE2 doesn't have much story though. I'm not quite sure how much SH2 story holds up. I hope it's good.

I'm also irrationally attached to Maria's face, and they haven't shown her off yet, so that will be a big thing to get right.

I'm more excited for new entries. I'd actually prefer a remake of Silent Hill 1 instead.

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

I can't wait, i watch the trailer almost every day and i look for new info every day!!!! It would be amazing if the city will be the real main protagonist of the remake, with all the public places (bar, cinema, shops) explorable as optional content, with creepy atmosphere related to the people who was used to live there, with enviromental storytelling, specific camera placements...maybe connected in some ways to James's story! The pontential of all of this would be very high! I know that Blooper team surely won't do this, but it's nice to dream! I hopw it's not a remake 1-1! However i can't waittttt!!!!! I'm dying here, Silent hill 2 city made in nanite with lumen will be amazing!!!!!!!!

Valt7786

While I think it might have been a mistake to start the resurgence with a remake of 2, should have started with 1, it needs it more. But I don't see anything majorly wrong with it in the trailer, It looks like Silent Hill 2 but without janky PS2 graphics so I'm all for it so far. Hopefully we get a proper gameplay trailer soon and can judge a little more there.
I would hope too that Bloober know they have EVERYTHING riding on how this game turns out, if they fuck it up, they're done.

Never played Silent Hill so going to be interesting experiencing it for the first time as a remake, provided the reviews are decent. I never understood the hype around the franchise but it gives me an opportunity to try it out without having to deal with how old the original was

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Never played Silent Hill so going to be interesting experiencing it for the first time as a remake, provided the reviews are decent. I never understood the hype around the franchise but it gives me an opportunity to try it out without having to deal with how old the original was
please just play silent hill 2 or something, this new remake looks terrible and soulless. Blooper Team doesn't have a good track record with this kind of stuff anyways. If it were gonna be a PS5 exclusive Konami should have picked some other studio like Naughty Dog anyways

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
We're bringing Silent Hill 2 back with incredible graphics developed by Bloober team!
Gorilla Reaction GIF

Markio128

I wasn’t a big fan of The Medium, but the developers seem passionate about the genre, so I have faith that they’ll do a good job with the remake. Looking forward to it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
f might be interesting but remake will be terrible sadly. We know there is no way to recapture the Japanese dread of horror. Not with bloober and what they did to James face.

Arachnid

I still can't believe it. After a decade, we've got 5 games on the way. Unreal.

I'm personally most hyped for f. It looks fantastic and the dude writing the story is a legend.

f might be interesting but remake will be terrible sadly. We know there is no way to recapture the Japanese dread of horror. Not with bloober and what they did to James face.
Thankfully, it looks like they're aware of the crybaby James backlash. Hopefully they de-age the dude a bit too. James is 29, just a few years older than RE4 Leon. Make him look like it.

8n9112f2nt6a1.png

SHA

The medium looked just fine, it was just missing the story depth and monsters, I don't really think they s at this cause it's part of the sh series and just by pulling it from a game doesn't make them a less capable team, it's really stupid to think they'll half a the remake and sell it incomplete, this won't happen and I'm not skeptical about it not even close, the graphics isn't bad even the original wasn't either, I wouldn't complain about the minimum pc requirements and the way it should've been with it since it's a totally different topic and a common issue with recently released games.

I think its going to turn out good, and the companies output will be similar to modern capcom. To bad Kojima and Konami fell out. Some of the titles might be outsourced for a while until they get strong again

MiguelItUp

Silent Hill 2 is one of my favorite games, and horror games, of all time. While I'm excited to see the Silent Hill IP come back, I'm still extremely cautious, and I think it's beyond fair to feel that way.

I'm REALLY unsure of how to feel about the remake thus far, on one hand I'm excited, on the other I'm curious but extremely hesitant to feel anything positive. At least until we see something that makes us feel like we should feel positive about it.

If it comes out being great, I hope we see them remake 1 and 3. But one step at a time.

The Silent Hill game stream they had was... overwhelming to me. It was almost like there was way too much going on, so much so that it's more concerning than exciting. At least for me.

I look forward to seeing where everything goes, but man, one step at a time for sure.

TonyK

I'm worried because recently I finished The Medium and I found it mediocre. I played all their games since Layers of Fear (because I'm an horror fan) and all of them seemed boring to me. They never have done an excellent game and what it worries me more: they never have done a game with combat.

I trust in their graphic quality, but I'm very cautious with their game design and gameplay capacities.

Any of you guys played their Blair Witch game where the enemies are giant tumbleweeds?
Yes, there are quite a few well known dev teams that have embarrassing histories about certain games they've made in the past. What matters now is what they do next, and that will either be a second chance or another nail in their coffin.

All it takes is one big hit to change any dev team's trajectory.

I'm worried because recently I finished The Medium and I found it mediocre. I played all their games since Layers of Fear (because I'm an horror fan) and all of them seemed boring to me. They never have done an excellent game and what it worries me more: they never have done a game with combat.

I trust in their graphic quality, but I'm very cautious with their game design and gameplay capacities.
Agreed about The Medium and their past works. It seems they have the potential but they have trouble making sure they match it.

Last edited:

Neff

If it was Silent Hill 1 being remade by a Japanese developer then I might sit up and pay attention.

But it's neither so I won't.

anthony2690

Gold Member
I'm quite curious about the silent hill game that you could easily mistake for fatal frame game with the super Japanese setting, hopefully that turns out good.

That being said, the Silent Hill franchise has like 2 or 3 good games, and then rest are 💩

I'm genuinely surprised to see this much demand for the SH franchise.

Hopefully SH2R turns out great too, it could do good things for Bloober if successful, I'd like to see them get a win. (Even if their prior titles haven't done much for me)

& I'm just happy to see Konami coming back with their ips, super excited for their upcoming Suikoden collection :D

Last edited:
I'm quite curious about the silent hill game that you could easily mistake for fatal frame game with the super Japanese setting, hopefully that turns out good.

That being said, the Silent Hill franchise has a like 2 or 3 good games, and then rest are 💩

I'm genuinely surprised to see this much demand for the SH franchise.

Hopefully SH2R turns out great too, it could do good things for Bloober if successful, I'd like to see them get a win. (Even if their prior titles haven't done much for me)

Even back on the day there weren't that hot (sales-wise).

But I think speaks to the huge influence they had.

anthony2690

Gold Member
Even back on the day there weren't that hot (sales-wise).

But I think speaks to the huge influence they had.
Did the first two games sell really well atleast? As I know these seem to be the ones that I know people played or have fond memories off.

I'll probably have to look into sales of the games in the franchise tbh.

I guess the influence is real, I've heard people (myself included) reference silent hill when it's very foggy outside XD

Last edited:
Did the first two games sell really well atleast? As I know these seem to be the ones that I know people played or have fond memories off.

I'll probably have to look into sales of the games in the franchise tbh.

I guess the influence is real, I've heard people say (myself included) reference silent hill when it's very foggy outside XD
They never sold as well as resident evil.
In fact, in Japan Silent Hill 2 was disliked.

And silent Hill 3 sold worse.

Kurotri

Never touched a Silent HIll before but I quite like psychological horror. But what I'm really super interested in is the f game, I really love the 80s Japan aesthetic they've got going on there, hope they manage to pull off all the games well!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I feel like it’s still going to be a super long wait until it’s out. This will be after like 10 big games come and go. Not to mention it feels like PT caused this whole “if I can’t see it, I don’t believe it”, so it’s “not real until I get to actually play it”.

One thing I’m not looking forward to is modern day woke crap. I feel like they’ve buried their claws into enough stuff already.

I’m excited for this Remake. I didn’t like Blair Witch at all. It was super boring to me.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I feel like it’s still going to be a super long wait until it’s out. This will be after like 10 big games come and go. Not to mention it feels like PT caused this whole “if I can’t see it, I don’t believe it”, so it’s “not real until I get to actually play it”.

One thing I’m not looking forward to is modern day woke crap. I feel like they’ve buried their claws into enough stuff already.

I’m excited for this Remake. I didn’t like Blair Witch at all. It was super boring to me.

Long wait? It's set for release in 2023. All they need to do is fix his face.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Long wait? It's set for release in 2023. All they need to do is fix his face.
I must have missed that. I thought that was Ascension. Wishlist could be anything TBA 2023. Again, I could have missed that.

I feel like his face could be displaying more than just blatant emotions. This is psychological horror.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I really like Silent Hill 4 but unfortunately the PC version has hauntings that were cut out of it which is stupid in my opinion.

kunonabi

I really like Silent Hill 4 but unfortunately the PC version has hauntings that were cut out of it which is stupid in my opinion.
considering how lame the hauntings were and the abysmal performance in the first-person sections I'd actually consider that an improvement.

Truth be told, I'm just glad the IP is back in business, but I'm kind of tired of seeing so many remakes myself. Very much so.

The good thing with the mythology around Silent Hill is that the games and related media has normally been 'its own thing' for most of the franchise's lifetime, so if a game ends up sucking, it doesn't particularly undermine the other titles in the franchise as a whole. You know?

But with RE games on the other hand, Capcom is (at least in my opinion) just throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. Their games get a bit of a pass because of course, Capcom has the budget and the talented team, but they honestly just took RE and made it so, so silly. Like with the move to action, buying crap from a vendor, and having a tall vampire bimbo and her daughters chasing you in a castle. What's that Bela Lugosi B.S. even doing in RE anyway? LOL.

I just miss the days when RE was the Night of the Living Dead-esque series it used to be, before Capcom went and made the series become all ridiculous. I just preferred the storylines about the viruses, and the zombies. But after RE4, each game has gotten to be gradually more dumb. That's the truth, and I know that like me, you know that's because Capcom has ran out of [good] ideas.

But with Silent Hill games, the only ones that were really connected in full were 1 and 3. So if some games were good, that was fine. If they were bad, then sure. It made me a bit mad that they weren't as good as the ones Konami put out during theTeam Silent era. But it didn't technically fudge up the other games from before it, as they were self-contained.

Enjoy the beginning to 2023, people. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom