• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's literally just hit me that Silent Hill is back - I cannot wait for the remake

kunonabi

Truth be told, I'm just glad the IP is back in business, but I'm kind of tired of seeing so many remakes myself. Very much so.

The good thing with the mythology around Silent Hill is that the games and related media has normally been 'its own thing' for most of the franchise's lifetime, so if a game ends up sucking, it doesn't particularly undermine the other titles in the franchise as a whole. You know?

But with RE games on the other hand, Capcom is (at least in my opinion) just throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. Their games get a bit of a pass because of course, Capcom has the budget and the talented team, but they honestly just took RE and made it so, so silly. Like with the move to action, buying crap from a vendor, and having a tall vampire bimbo and her daughters chasing you in a castle. What's that Bela Lugosi B.S. even doing in RE anyway? LOL.

I just miss the days when RE was the Night of the Living Dead-esque series it used to be, before Capcom went and made the series become all ridiculous. I just preferred the storylines about the viruses, and the zombies. But after RE4, each game has gotten to be gradually more dumb. That's the truth, and I know that like me, you know that's because Capcom has ran out of [good] ideas.

But with Silent Hill games, the only ones that were really connected in full were 1 and 3. So if some games were good, that was fine. If they were bad, then sure. It made me a bit mad that they weren't as good as the ones Konami put out during theTeam Silent era. But it didn't technically fudge up the other games from before it, as they were self-contained.

Enjoy the beginning to 2023, people. :)
the later games did end up undermining the originals especially book of memories but nobody played that since it was on the Vita so it didn't really matter. Hulett and co. absolutely did try to recontextualize things though. Hulett even wanted to rewrite the script for the remaster of SH2 back in the day.

Last edited:

Komatsu

People here excited for Silent Hill F but I frankly can't see the franchise in a Japanese setting. We've got tons of J-Horror games already.

I just miss the days when RE was the Night of the Living Dead-esque series it used to be, before Capcom went and made the series become all ridiculous. I just preferred the storylines about the viruses, and the zombies. But after RE4, each game has gotten to be gradually more dumb. That's the truth, and I know that like me, you know that's because Capcom has ran out of [good] ideas.

The RE2 remake was glorious in the sense that it kept the extended universe, action hero film-ey vibe to a minimum, bringing the series back to its roots.

It's interesting that you should say that, Komatsu. Dusk Golem on Twitter believes the setting doesn't have to be in Silent Hill itself. Although I agree that it ought to be the case.

Rickyiez

It's not back lol. The remake is made by Blooper and there's nothing solid yet about the other entry. Sorry to spoil your party

Mozzarella

All i want from this remake is to improve the gameplay and not touch the story, its already a huge red flag that the camera is over the shoulder.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Can someone explain to me why Bloober is bad? I really don't know anything about them except I think it's a really stupid name for a company.

Doom85

its not back since its a lame remake instead of a new game.

The remake was announced along with two brand new entries, so like it or not, Silent Hill be all:

dkgVbwq.gif

PillsOff

Banned
Business properties n franchises yay
Now life finally has some meaning
We can be happy that it is back then sad that it's mismanaged then die of old age
Hooray!

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Truth be told, I'm just glad the IP is back in business, but I'm kind of tired of seeing so many remakes myself. Very much so.

The good thing with the mythology around Silent Hill is that the games and related media has normally been 'its own thing' for most of the franchise's lifetime, so if a game ends up sucking, it doesn't particularly undermine the other titles in the franchise as a whole. You know?

But with RE games on the other hand, Capcom is (at least in my opinion) just throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. Their games get a bit of a pass because of course, Capcom has the budget and the talented team, but they honestly just took RE and made it so, so silly. Like with the move to action, buying crap from a vendor, and having a tall vampire bimbo and her daughters chasing you in a castle. What's that Bela Lugosi B.S. even doing in RE anyway? LOL.

But with Silent Hill games, the only ones that were really connected in full were 1 and 3. So if some games were good, that was fine. If they were bad, then sure. It made me a bit mad that they weren't as good as the ones Konami put out during theTeam Silent era. But it didn't technically fudge up the other games from before it, as they were self-contained.

Enjoy the beginning to 2023, people. :)

Nah, Code Veronica is to blame.

Aenima

Can someone explain to me why Bloober is bad? I really don't know anything about them except I think it's a really stupid name for a company.
They are not bad for this project. They are not great at creating an original game, like the Medium, but i seem them perfect capable to do a good SH2 Remake. They have good visual artists and a passion for horror games. SH2 is a game that was already made, the story is made, characters and monsters is made, level design is made. Only thing they could be weak at is in adapting a combat system to the remake, hard to say cuz the Medium dont has any combat, but the combat system in the original was nothing especial to begin with.

As long as they make it faithfull to the original in recreating the same story, same athmosphere, same characters, same gameplay loop, thers really nothing they can really mess up.

I'm guessing nothing in the 3 announced Silent Hill games are gonna come anywhere close to the mindfuck ideas I'm sure Kojima would have jam packed into his version.

Top Bottom