• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Me Again With AI Characters! Stanford University Hyena Hierarchy Uses 100 times Less Computing Power Than ChatGPT

Bluecondor

Perhaps we should just create an AI and gaming sticky, but with all of the interesting AI innovations being announced and discussed this year, I continue to get caught up in the hype around AI tech that appears to make AI-generated conversations with NPCs viable/possible.

The latest article discusses Stanford University's Hyena Hierarchy, a technology for relating items of data (words or pixels in a digital image). The technology can reach similar accuracy in benchmark AI tasks as current large language models like ChatGPT, but with as little as 100 times less computing power:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/this-new-technology-could-blow-away-gpt-4-and-everything-like-it/

In previous posts I have made on my enthusiasm for AI tech, several people have (rightfully) pointed out that it would not be feasible to have AI-generated conversations with NPCs in games for a number of reasons, with the computing power that is needed to run large language models being a significant barrier.

Admittedly, I have no real frame-of-reference for "100 times less computing power," but the fact that an innovation like this is already in development has me hyped for AI-generated conversations with NPCs. As always, please feel free to tell me to "slow my roll." But, I really enjoy the regular occurrence of interesting news on AI tech developments that promise more immersive video games.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
In previous posts I have made on my enthusiasm for AI tech, several people have (rightfully) pointed out that it would not be feasible to have AI-generated conversations with NPCs in games for a number of reasons, with the computing power that is needed to run large language models being a significant barrier.

I don't agree with the dismissal of AI dialogue in games; it will absolutely be here at some point (although not all genres are appropriate for it of course). For now it will likely require a quick cloud call for each new generation of text, but eventually, we'll see gaming systems with a dedicated GPU or tensor-ready chip solely used for AI tasks (could even be something more like the M-series from Apple, rather than a traditional GPU, who knows).

The latest article discusses Stanford University's Hyena Hierarchy, a technology for relating items of data (words or pixels in a digital image). The technology can reach similar accuracy in benchmark AI tasks as current large language models like ChatGPT, but with as little as 100 times less computing power:
Hyena seems... interesting, but there's very little buzz around it in the AI circles that I follow.

There are a lot of innovations happening, however. Stability AI (the people behind Stable Diffusion) have just released their first models in the "StableLM" series, which means fully open sourced models that will gradually approach the best from OpenAI. If you're skeptical about that outcome, remember what has already happened with Stable Diffusion: as a fully free and customizable set of models, it has already eclipsed paid services like OpenAI's own Dall-E (who even cares about Dall-E anymore? open source fully defeated it in one year). In time, powerful language models will be available and customizable for any project.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Like I said in the other thread it is early days for this. OpenAI is not the be all end all and it’s quite possible it ends up in the AltaVista/Friendster/Netscape graveyard. Customized AI to handle focused tasks is a given.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Like I said in the other thread it is early days for this.

It's the beginning of the large AI wave, to be sure, but I wouldn't say it's early if you mean "not yet."

I've been in software engineering & tech for decades, and I can tell you that recent AI breakthroughs are completely reshaping everything right now. It's the biggest change in decades, and likely will be one day looked back on as a comparable historical dividing moment to pre-internet / post-internet.

The tech world is completely different right now from a year ago. Everyone is still trying to come to terms with it, and trying to figure out how to survive when the landscape is so different going forward.

GMCamaro

great migrations hyena GIF by Head Like an Orange

Hyena you say?

Top Bottom