• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: Here we teach heretics of the Fallout series

Cyberpunkd

I see the discussion spread across many different threads that have to do with TV show and also in each news thread, so I thought us old farts can make a single thread to answer all the questions related to the series.

Long story short: there is Fallout 1/2 and Fallout 3/NV/4. The latter were made my Bethesda (NV was outsourced to Obsidian) after they acquired the IP and can be referred to as "Elder Scrolls with guns".

Does Fallout 1/2 hold up today?
Yes, it does. The games are much slower paced and the combat system is turn-based so you can take your time. The only way to play them is on PC and:eek:r Steam Deck, so either way you are using mouse / mouse emulation.

This is the original world, this is where it all started.

Is Bethesda's Fallout shit?
No, it's not. I have fond memories of each installment, it didn't blow me in general like Witcher 3 did, but each game has incredibly strong quests - here New Vegas DLCs like Dead Money or Old World Blues are particularly memorable (the game was outsourced to Obsidian, and it shows in the quality of writing). I think it's worth it to experience every installment, probably not back-to-back (my NV PCR version shows 134 hours...)

Which one should I play?
If you are looking for the most QoL you should start with Bethesda's games, they are the easiest to get to. However IMO Fallout 1/2 is stronger story-wise and taking into account world building. So to rank it I would go:

F2 > F1 > F:NV > F4 > F3

You're welcome.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Only one I ever played was part 3. Really enjoyed it.

Probably doing either 76 or 4 next. Then I guess in several years I'll try NV.

Probably not ever playing 1 and 2.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’ve never given the Fallout series a fair shot, despite having all of them.

The show got me itching to revisit either F4 or F76, and after watching a couple streamers it’s definitely what I’m playing next.

Sethbacca

Dissenting opinion : Fallout 1 & 2 need a remake, that UI is definitely feeling its considerable age, and it feels janky as fuck. I've tried playing it a few times since I got into Fallout 3 and I just couldn't get into it. I can't imagine most people tolerating it unless they're playing the game through nostalgia glasses.

Last edited:

Zheph

F1/2 are great games (and much better than Bethesda works imo) but they did age a lot

no mention of FT?

*Pulls up in Highwayman*
Now this is an interesting thread. Let's take it back to the originals, for once. I remember the second one more, as I played it more recently.
Atmospherrrrrrrrr. Nice, moody music. Good dialogue. Crazy, random encounters.
If anyone is feeling like these games are outdated, there are mods to upscale the UI and the game itself.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Every time I get the urge to play a Fallout game, I remember it’s supposed to take place like 200 years after nuclear war, yet people are still living in rubble-strewn ruins of pre-war buildings and scrounging around pre-war grocery stores for non perishable foods. It bothers me to an irrational degree.

Every time I get the urge to play a Fallout game, I remember it’s supposed to take place like 200 years after nuclear war, yet people are still living in rubble-strewn ruins of pre-war buildings and scrounging around pre-war grocery stores for non perishable foods. It bothers me to an irrational degree.
A fair nitpick, I guess. But, once we do that, it defeats the purpose of why this was created in the first place. I would pile on and nitpick how everything looks like it was crafted with the 50s-60s aesthetic, but, again... I didn't make the game. It is what it is. I think that was a big part of why I didn't try FO3 earlier. I didn't like how it looked and I didn't like a lot of FPS back then, and didn't know you could change the POV. I think the game is legitimately good, too. If I didn't I don't think I would have endured a PS3 Platinum.
For those of you In-The-Know: PS3 version of Fallout 3 is one of the most bug ridden fucking games ever shipped, in human history.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think the show kind of highlights the absurdity of the whole premise. If you can accept that it's a post-apocalyptic parody then it falls into place a bit.

Cyberpunkd

Dissenting opinion : Fallout 1 & 2 need a remake, that UI is definitely feeling its considerable age, and it feels janky as fuck. I've tried playing it a few times since I got into Fallout 3 and I just couldn't get into it. I can't imagine most people tolerating it unless they're playing the game through nostalgia glasses.
Are you for real? I am playing F4 right now and the amount of UI Bethesda rubbish is insane. Thrash that needs to be transferred? Thrash that doesn't need to be broken down, since it will be used regardless? Being careful what you mark as salvage since you don't want the other items to "untick"?

I will play NV next and years later I still remember Repair requires you for some reason to have multiple copies of the same item and figure out how to click on them to repair it because FUCK YOU.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Are you for real? I am playing F4 right now and the amount of UI Bethesda rubbish is insane. Thrash that needs to be transferred? Thrash that doesn't need to be broken down, since it will be used regardless? Being careful what you mark as salvage since you don't want the other items to "untick"?

I will play NV next and years later I still remember Repair requires you for some reason to have multiple copies of the same item and figure out how to click on them to repair it because FUCK YOU.
I'm not saying they need to be remade as a Bethesda style game. I'd be fine with them being remade in their classic strategy form but with some tweaks to the gameplay and modern features.

F:NV > F4 > F3

F3 > F4 > FNV.

You're welcome. Anyone who finds New Vegas's story good, snorts farts. The others have garbage stories as well but at least they dont pretend to be some fancy fedora wearing cunts. "but but you have multiple choices in new vegas!!!" - who gives a shit when its insanely boring. With that out of the way, it boils down to atmosphere, and Fallout 3 is still king out of all games. Gameplay-wise obviously Fallout 4 since its more modern but F3 still holds up quite well. FNV's atmosphere was dog shit. The most uninteresting world to explore in gaming. HAIL CAESAR. Lmfao. Really?

Cyberpunkd

F3 > F4 > FNV.

You're welcome. Anyone who finds New Vegas's story good, snorts farts. The others have garbage stories as well but at least they dont pretend to be some fancy fedora wearing cunts. "but but you have multiple choices in new vegas!!!" - who gives a shit when its insanely boring. With that out of the way, it boils down to atmosphere, and Fallout 3 is still king out of all games. Gameplay-wise obviously Fallout 4 since its more modern but F3 still holds up quite well. FNV's atmosphere was dog shit. The most uninteresting world to explore in gaming. HAIL CAESAR. Lmfao. Really?
game of thrones you know nothing GIF

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Played 1 & 2 as they were released great games imo.

FO3 I gave maybe 45 minutes to then bounced off of it and didn't play the others. I picked all of them up thinking I would give them a try at some point. If I did go back to try one it would be NV probably.

Only one I ever played was part 3. Really enjoyed it.

Probably doing either 76 or 4 next. Then I guess in several years I'll try NV.

Probably not ever playing 1 and 2.
Microsoft should totally remake 1 and 2 while we wait for Fallout 5.
If it helps, a first person mod is being developed for Fallout 1:

There are also two different versions of a first person Fallout 2 in development:

First one:

Second one(Project Arroyo using Fallout 4 as a base):

Last edited:
Obligatory fallout 3 plot recap for the lulz

fallout-3-plot-8589882112
The story is one of the reasons I'm fine with the OP having Fallout 3 on the lower end. That and the map being inconsistent in quality. I feel like nostalgia plays a huge part in why people revere it so much.

The game has great moments though, I'll give it that.

Edit: For context, I played Fallout 3 and Fallout NV for the first time 3 years ago. I have no nostalgia for them, and due to that I recognized that F3 is a solid B rating while NV is an A- rating (complete bug fixes would make it an A+).

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The story is one of the reasons I'm fine with the OP having Fallout 3 on the lower end. That and the map being inconsistent in quality. I feel like nostalgia plays a huge part in why people revere it so much.

The game has great moments though, I'll give it that.

Edit: For context, I played Fallout 3 and Fallout NV for the first time 3 years ago. I have no nostalgia for them, and due to that I recognized that F3 is a solid B rating while NV is an A- rating (complete bug fixes would make it an A+).

The map in FO3 pisses on the map in FO4 and NV.........many times over as well. It's probably one of the best open world maps I've explored.

The map in FO3 pisses on the map in FO4 and NV.........many times over as well. It's probably one of the best open world maps I've explored.
The reason NV is higher rated for me isn't due to the map, but also keep in mind I never called FO3's map bad. I just felt it was inconsistent.

My issue with the FO3 map had to do with the underground tunnels and the outer areas. That's where the inconsistencies in quality lie for me. Everything else is designed really well and is actually memorable in a way that old school games before it used to be when it came to map design. If they had cut the map down by about 20% it would have been much better.

Lunarorbit

You should never watch Threads.

IDKFA

The reason NV is higher rated for me isn't due to the map, but also keep in mind I never called FO3's map bad. I just felt it was inconsistent.

My issue with the FO3 map had to do with the underground tunnels and the outer areas. That's where the inconsistencies in quality lie for me. Everything else is designed really well and is actually memorable in a way that old school games before it used to be when it came to map design. If they had cut the map down by about 20% it would have been much better.

Damn. What a take.

I felt the map was too small. Should have been at least 250% bigger.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Does Fallout 1/2 hold up today?

These RPGs offer rich stories, but their age is noticeable in the graphics and gameplay. So the answer is NO.

Is Bethesda's Fallout shit?

The quality varies. Fallout 3 offers a good starting point with action and RPG elements. New Vegas is more classic RPG, while Fallout 4 leans towards action-adventure.

Which one should I play?

Start with Fallout 3 to get a feel for the franchise. If you enjoy it and crave a deeper RPG experience, try New Vegas. For a more action-oriented game, Fallout 4 might be a good fit.

well, I think it's kinda intended to. they're highly irrational games (& highly enjoyable because of it). I mean, i'm pretty sure that no one would want to play a game set in an accurate/realistic version of a world 200 years after nuclear war. it'd be right up there with playing a game set in an accurate/realistic version of a soviet gulag in siberia. authentic 'survival horror'...

Damn. What a take.
I'm also a guy who has said before that Elden Ring is too large and the second half of that game suffers from this, especially certain areas(the second snowy area being the worst offender).
I felt the map was too small. Should have been at least 250% bigger.
250% bigger just crosses into MMO/Ubisoft 'forever game' territory to me. I feel that there is such a thing as a map being too large, and I also feel that maps suffer greatly when they become too bloated.

I've had many more memorable experiences in single player games with smaller, but denser well-designed maps over gigantic maps.

IDKFA

I feel that there is such a thing as a map being too large, and I also feel that maps suffer greatly when they become too bloated.

What do you think of the new game from Hello Games, Light No Fire.

The map for that game is a whole planet the same size as planet Earth. Would take you decades to see every inch of it.

That's the sort of Open World I'm talking about. Actual Open Worlds. Not poxy little maps I can walk across in under an hour.

What do you think of the new game from Hello Games, Light No Fire.

The map for that game is a whole planet the same size as planet Earth. Would take you decades to see every inch of it.

That's the sort of Open World I'm talking about. Actual Open Worlds. Not poxy little maps I can walk across in under an hour.
I'm excited for it, and one of the main reasons I am is because it's not being advertised as a narrative experience like the Fallout I.P. The draw of the Light No Fire is the vastness of it's map in combination with exploring it's systems, much like a Minecraft or even their previous game in a sense, No Man's Sky.

There's much less pressure because you're not being fed 100+ hours of narrative where only maybe 50 hours of it is actually interesting.

If I could make another comparison, Guild Wars 1 and 2 are good examples as well. Guild Wars is an MMO series that has a large focus on narrative. I personally felt that Guild Wars 1 delivered a much better narrative experience than 2 due to how the game was built, in a more 'biome' sense rather than the more open world structure like GW 2 was built upon. GW 2's cutscenes suffered from this and it's narrative was stretched thin and made a bit grindy because of it.

Somehow, even though GW 2 was structurally more open world Than GW 1, it felt much, much less like a grand adventure and more like giant land masses with multiple checklists. For MMOs, that's to be expected, but for narrative games, that's not a good feeling imo. Since Guild Wars 2 was half and half, it was just alright to me. However, GW 1 has persisted in my top 5 all time MMOs due to how well it handled the narrative and how it affected the biomes around you depending on where you were in the story.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
F3 > F4 > FNV

F4 is technically better than F3, but it was kind of samey. F3 was incredible except the shitty ending where it all stops, so you if you wanted to explore do the final part at the end when you know youve done playing the game. Broken Steel DLC lets you keep going.

I always heard FNV was a great game after a bunch of patches, but I played it vanilla and it was a terrible glitch fest. I probably saw more quirks and glitches in 5 hours than all of F3 gameplaying combined. Bailed and never bothered.

xrnzaaas

I'd expand the recommendations to non-Fallout games as well. If you liked F1 & F2 chances are you will like Wasteland games, Atom RPG or Underrail.

Top Bottom