• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iVRy, “Sony has enabled nVidia support on PC in PSVR2”

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
And I was joking 😂
Jesus Christ wtf is going on at Sony

Elbereth

jurassic park water GIF

Mr Moose

Last edited:

Cohetedor

My mini PC actually has a 10gbps usb-c port with display support, could I use it to watch YouTube vr now? I know I won't be able to play games, it's like a 15w ryzen 3750 with integrated graphics.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
And I was joking 😂
Jesus Christ wtf is going on at Sony
You must be living under a rock. We all knew this was coming and the closer we get, the better. THere's no bad news or some kind of gotcha.

I am worried about their janitorial staff.

Wonko_C

I have a Quest 2 but next year I am buying a PSVR2 (hopefully it gets a price drop by then), and the year after that I'm buying a PS5 Pro (hopefully that gets a price drop by then too) to finally play Resident Evil Village, RE4 Remake and all other PSVR2 exclusives (and whatever comes out in the future like Astro Bot 2). But it will be nice to be able to use this headset on my PC before I finally get the PS5 Pro. Good times all around!

I'm very excited for this. I wanna play games with my PSVR2 on my PC even though I own a Quest 2 for my PC already. I hoped PSVR2 would be getting some PC support which is why I went for it in a bid to kill two birds with one stone since I already own a PS5. It took longer than I wanted for Sony to announce it but I'm very happy it's happening.

Kerotan

I'm very excited for this. I wanna play games with my PSVR2 on my PC even though I own a Quest 2 for my PC already. I hoped PSVR2 would be getting some PC support which is why I went for it in a bid to kill two birds with one stone since I already own a PS5. It took longer than I wanted for Sony to announce it but I'm very happy it's happening.
Do you play gran turismo 7? What's it like if so?

MarkMe2525

I would have never bet on Sony officially supporting PC. Though, I'm glad to hear it.

Crayon

Do you play gran turismo 7? What's it like if so?

It's the one really killer app. Even RE8, which is totally amazing, does not give you that feeling of... "this was worth the money" lol. GT7 in vr with or without a wheel is such a sweet spot of easy to play and immersive simulation. Bonus: you can take the headset off and it seamlessly switches to tv output so you can fiddle with all your map and menus.

Me and my friend jump in free lap lobbies with our headsets. Now, we used to play the absolute shit out of GT2 in highschool. I had a good imagination then and I did envision us being able to play this in vr some day in the future. So it's literally like a dream come true. When we were playing on the couch, we were together there in the room, but more importantly we were together on the track, in our cars. Hanging out and driving in vr, we both feel like we're very convincingly in a real space together. It's dope, I should call him now.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What does this mean in non nerd terms?

Sony is adding PC support to PSVR2. But they need to remove many hurdles.

Previously tinkerer could only make PSVR2 work with AMD card on PC. With this update, tinkerer can now make PSVR2 work on both AMD and Nvidia card. And most PC users use Nvidia card.

In other words much more PC players can potentially meets the hardware requirement to use PSVR2 on PC.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

StueyDuck

This is smart for them.

The psvr2 shits on most of the high end headsets on PC. Unless you are willing to spend the price of a small house🤣

ArtHands

What is dp-aux emulator and where I can get one?

It's a circuit board that act as a middle man between the PC and PSVR2. Basically tells the PC to recognize the PSVR2 as a VR headset.

Previously it only work on PC with AMD card. The circuit board won't work with Nvidia card.

With the latest update, it can work on PC with Nvidia card. And PC with AMD card do not need the board anymore to recognize the PSVR2 as a VR headset.

Future update might means you do not need the DP-Aux emulator entirely.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I wish someone would make this headset for PC with a bit more resolution, pancake lenses and a wider FOV, and keep the OLED, at a reasonable price....

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Can someone explain in layman terms ? I have a PSVR2 and a 4090 PC. Does this mean i can play PC VR games like Half Life Alyx using my PSVR2 ? And will i need some sort of adapter ?

Chukhopops

the quest 3 isn't very capable, it's a fantastic standalone headset but as PCVR is concerned it is still middle tier mostly.
I don’t know what you mean by not very capable, it’s considered either best or second best option right now for PCVR.
Can someone explain in layman terms ? I have a PSVR2 and a 4090 PC. Does this mean i can play PC VR games like Half Life Alyx using my PSVR2 ? And will i need some sort of adapter ?
Not yet but you might be able to do so sometime this year.

StueyDuck

I don’t know what you mean by not very capable, it’s considered either best or second best option right now for PCVR.

Not yet but you might be able to do so sometime this year.
explain pls
guys the vr market has many SKUs, i'm not gonna sit and link every single vr headset for you. If you don't know then use google.

Quest 3 is considered the best for it's price. but there are much higher end VR headsets one can get for PC and for PSVR2 price point you get one of the more high quality VR headsets for a reasonable price now on PC

Last edited:

Chukhopops

guys the vr market has many SKUs, i'm not gonna sit and link every single vr headset for you. If you don't know then use google.

Quest 3 is considered the best for it's price. but there are much higher end VR headsets one can get for PC and for PSVR2 price point you get one of the more high quality VR headsets for a reasonable price now on PC
But the two cost the exact same amount. That doesn’t make any sense whatsoever and the only reason you’d buy a PSVR2 for PC use is if you already have one or can use it for both PC and console.

StueyDuck

But the two cost the exact same amount. That doesn’t make any sense whatsoever and the only reason you’d buy a PSVR2 for PC use is if you already have one or can use it for both PC and console.
Again...do the research. Google exists.

Psvr 2 has nicer oled panels and a slightly higher FoV, it also has the adaptive trigger controllers so if the PC version adds that support that already steps up the entire game.

Psvr 2 also supported 120hz refresh rate where quest 3 was in a testing phase but at standard its 90hz. Whether that support is there I don't know.

Last edited:

Kdad

Should have been done day one, the market was primed for them and they fucked up. Never buy SONY non core products...they let them die on the vine. PSP (which I love) was an anomaly (and even there I don't think they gave it the 1st party support they said the would). Hopefully this will allow PSVR2 to gain some traction...but SONY has a long history or lukewarm marketing and support for 'add ons'. Same shit with the Portal...we all know damned well what it could do...yet here we are.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Sony is adding PC support to PSVR2 officially. This tweet means they have removed one particular hurdle which was preventing PSVR2 from being used on Nvidia PC (eg the one you are using right now). This hurdle can only be removed by Sony.

There are other hurdles in place though which will take time to be removed.

You'll likely still need an adapter though.

Last edited:

Danknugz

It has OLED and eye tracking. But it has Fresnel lenses and a wire. So it all depends on what you would be mainly using it for. Sim stuff it might be the best option.
eye tracking is not driver level and needs to be tacked on to every game i the software. iirc

Danknugz

explain pls
for me the quest fails due to small FoV and i won't buy one until they make one with a decent FoV. i currently have a valve index still in the unopened box (been in my closet since 2001) but plan to use it eventually.

Minsc

Gold Member
Again...do the research. Google exists.

Psvr 2 has nicer oled panels and a slightly higher FoV, it also has the adaptive trigger controllers so if the PC version adds that support that already steps up the entire game.

Psvr 2 also supported 120hz refresh rate where quest 3 was in a testing phase but at standard its 90hz. Whether that support is there I don't know.

PSVR2 has:

A lot of bad / noticeable mura in grays. Like terrible at times. And there's not a damn thing you can do here.
Very, very poor edge to edge clarity with text/details due to the fresnel lens. Stuff like using your PC in a virtual screen sucks, same for watching movies, as the clarity just goes down the shitter.
Bad image retention, makes games with high motion even like Synth Riders look less detailed than on the Quest 3.
A very small sweet spot that will often need re-adjusting in higher motion games.
Poor/non-existent MR.
No built in speakers.
No Wi-Fi / Native game support.
None of the side-loaded games from Team Beef, which may change, but there's a good number of great games there.
None of the meta exclusives.
Almost none of the PSVR1 exclusives people want either.
Despite being wired, the controllers will need constant recharging of their batteries, expect ~4-5 hours (like 2 sessions, sometimes not even) battery life.

That said it has its advantages too. Just don't go in thinking it's anywhere close to being the best there is. You're totally overselling it. Quest 3 looks like literally a generation ahead of the PSVR2 in clarity. And it does absolutely run at 120hz. And the FOV is identical too.

Here's VR-Compare list.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

PSVR2 has:

A lot of bad / noticeable mura in grays. Like terrible at times. And there's not a damn thing you can do here.
Very, very poor edge to edge clarity with text/details due to the fresnel lens. Stuff like using your PC in a virtual screen sucks, same for watching movies, as the clarity just goes down the shitter.
Bad image retention, makes games with high motion even like Synth Riders look less detailed than on the Quest 3.
A very small sweet spot that will often need re-adjusting in higher motion games.
Poor/non-existent MR.
No built in speakers.
No Wi-Fi / Native game support.
None of the side-loaded games from Team Beef, which may change, but there's a good number of great games there.
None of the meta exclusives.
Almost none of the PSVR1 exclusives people want either.
Despite being wired, the controllers will need constant recharging of their batteries, expect ~4-5 hours (like 2 sessions, sometimes not even) battery life.

That said it has its advantages too. Just don't go in thinking it's anywhere close to being the best there is. You're totally overselling it. Quest 3 looks like literally a generation ahead of the PSVR2 in clarity. And it does absolutely run at 120hz. And the FOV is identical too.

Here's VR-Compare list.
i found a little quest fan club obviously.

There is alot of your facts that are very "opinionated" and not really based in any object reality, some people prefer fresnel some people prefer pancake lens, they both have positives and negatives.

i never said it was the best there is... please do quote me sayin it is THE BEST THERE IS. Im not over selling it plus all your points are silly because i am talking purely PCVR... PCVR... as in plug your VR into your PC... MR and wifi and all those silly things you mention have nothing to do with PCVR. In terms of Using a headset to play Half life alyx for example the PSVR2 will be the better choice if you value image/framerate and FOV. they aren't identical PSVRs FOV is 110 diagonally while quest 3s is horizontallly and i don't know about 120hz now but when it released the quest 3 was in an experimental state and that is why they essentially said 90 was standard at releases.

depends what your definition is on clarity. then yes the quest 3 has a slightly higher resolution per eye. slightly.

if you are talking about literal in game rendering then again you are a chop because we are talking about using the headset as a standalone PCVR headset. your PC will be doing the heavy lifting

Last edited:
Top Bottom