• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iVRy, “Sony has enabled nVidia support on PC in PSVR2”

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Some interesting discussion in this thread about the benefits of both Quest 3 and PSVR2.
I sure would love to try PSVR2 on PC. Some nice dark levels in HLA.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
and quest3 has terrible blacks, worse colors, lack of hdr, lack of any vibration and lack of dynamic foveated rendering ;)
and it's 500 dollars to use.

PSVR2 is 900 dollars in total unless you'd like to pretend everybody who's interested in VR has a working PS5 in their home

Tams

and it's 500 dollars to use.

PSVR2 is 900 dollars in total unless you'd like to pretend everybody who's interested in VR has a working PS5 in their home

This is a thread about using PSVR2 becoming useable on PC.

So depending on the model of Quest 3 you get, a Quest 3 is either a bit cheaper or a bit more expensive.

2 things it has over Quest 3:
- OLED
- Standard strap is way more comfortable then the Quest 3

Quest 3 on the other hand:
- Can be used wireless with PC
- Can be used outside (I once took it with me and let passers by try Ritchie's Plank etc)
- Pancake lenses ergo MUCH more clarity. Way less distortion
- Software library

No contest. Quest 3 wins.
Forgot a few little things like eye tracking and foveated rendering which almost trumps all your pluses from quest 3 on its own with ease. Such bias you have. Both headsets are equally great in their own way. PSVR2 will also be usable on pc soon so that pros are not really pros anymore as well.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Forgot a few little things like eye tracking and foveated rendering which almost trumps all your pluses from quest 3 on its own with ease. Such bias you have. Both headsets are equally great in their own way. PSVR2 will also be usable on pc soon so that pros are not really pros anymore as well.
Eye tracking and foveated rendering help with performance, they don't actually make things that much better if you already have a beefy GPU.

As far as I'm concerned, the thing that makes psvr2 interesting is the OLED screen, but that is held back by bad lenses and mura. Perhaps it's a tie there between the two as quest has the superior pancake lenses.

For me having a wire is a deal breaker. So quest wins hands down. I spin around in a lot of the games I play or more quite quickly (eg boxing). Can't be snagging no wires, also would be extremely problematic to run a wire between my PC and where I play.

Psvr2 has too many disadvantages to make it interesting beyond the OLED screen ATM. If they somehow add a wireless dongle that would make it a hell of a lot more competitive with the Q3.

Minsc

Gold Member

The main plusses for Quest 3 are the pancake lens which nothing on the PSVR2 compares against, the two headsets really are day and night.

Pretty much nothing the PSVR2 is great at the Quest 3 is great at, and nothing the Quest 3 is great at the PSVR2 is great at.

Two headsets are entirely different and great at different things.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Is there PCVR games that take advantage of dynamic foveated rendering with eye tracking?

Nevadatan

I think just about all of them do.
what about cards like the RX 7900 XTX which have an USB-C port on them?
00-TTp-KB0-Ift-Eg-Pov-P9-X9h-Fy-7-fit-lim-size-1050x.jpg

Rudius

Perhaps for low detail toon shaded games where banding/posteurization is the biggest problem, but for realistic high detail stuff you're much better off using the 550mbps h.264 profile. AV1 is more efficient, but nowhere near 175% more efficient. Very high bitrate h.264 will put it to shame 9 times out of 10. The Quest 3's decoder is the weakpoint.
What about gamea full of foliage and high frequency detail?

cyberheater

its my understanding that the USB-C port on graphics cards is a virtuallink port which does provide 12vdc as power delivery.

That’s great. I wonder if there is a list of compatible cards somewhere and if newish cards have that support.

its my understanding that the USB-C port on graphics cards is a virtuallink port which does provide 12vdc as power delivery.
I would have thought the inclusion of displayport/hdmi stuff is the important piece, but it is the power?
My work PC has one USB port with a lightning symbol, which means I think fast charging ready, but not necessarily this virtuallink thing I have not read ever in any USB ports symbols explanations...
VR1 had its own power supply for the connector box, and the headset was powered via that and USB or whatever? So maybe they can make just some small power box again with the special USB port out and HDMI/DP + USB + 12V in. I would not expect such a thing costing more than 5-10 bucks, maybe selling it for 19-29 bucks? Putting it in for free in a revised package. Afair splitting HDMI was not really easy either when VR1 came out hence the many cables in its first iteration, but with the second one they basically already did a one cable thing, so I guess a company sitting in boards deciding about standards should be able to make easy solutions if necessary and not rushing a release.

Bry0

I would have thought the inclusion of displayport/hdmi stuff is the important piece, but it is the power?
My work PC has one USB port with a lightning symbol, which means I think fast charging ready, but not necessarily this virtuallink thing I have not read ever in any USB ports symbols explanations...
VR1 had its own power supply for the connector box, and the headset was powered via that and USB or whatever? So maybe they can make just some small power box again with the special USB port out and HDMI/DP + USB + 12V in. I would not expect such a thing costing more than 5-10 bucks, maybe selling it for 19-29 bucks? Putting it in for free in a revised package. Afair splitting HDMI was not really easy either when VR1 came out hence the many cables in its first iteration, but with the second one they basically already did a one cable thing, so I guess a company sitting in boards deciding about standards should be able to make easy solutions if necessary and not rushing a release.
yeah exactly, will likely just be a splitter like the valve index tether that splits the usbc connection to DisplayPort/usb/power adapter plug.

That gives you video/data/power. It’s not a complex problem for Sony at all, they just need to provide it in some way.

Danknugz

foveated rendering isn't a hardware level feature, it would need to be tacked on to any existing game or implemented in new games using some kind of api which I don't believe sony has detailed releasing for any kind of PC development at this stage.

foveated rendering isn't a hardware level feature, it would need to be tacked on to any existing game or implemented in new games using some kind of api which I don't believe sony has detailed releasing for any kind of PC development at this stage.
Exactly, that is just a software thing that a quest 3 could never do. Thank you for affirming my point.

Nevadatan

Thanks Nevadatan
Sorry i just realize i gave like one option but from the top of my head the list goes like
Nvidia:
GTX 2070 (some models)
GTX 2070 TI
GTX 2080 regular and TI

AMD:
(seems only the reference models have these, not the AIBs, according to Bry0 Bry0 )

RX 6900 XT
RX 6800 XT
RX 6800

RX 7900 XT
RX 7900 XTX

i know im gonna pick a second hand PSVR2 to replace my old Lelnovo Explorer before Microsoft kill WMR with windows 12.

Last edited:
Top Bottom