• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata implies he may resign over poor business performance

Pociask

Wii could have been a sound strategic move, had the ideas it presented been followed through to completion by Nintendo. As it is, Wii was a brilliant tactical move. Had Nintendo been entirely dedicated to their new approach they wouldn't have made some of the business decisions that they did, and I for one believe the market would have responded more favorably to them in the long run.

The whole point of Wii - at least according to consumer perception which made it an early hit - was a return to the values of the NES era. Among other things this meant simpler, cheaper to develop games, but at the gain of high quality and deep replayability and also a diverse and original lineup. Nintendo should have realized from the start they would need to collaborate much more with 3rd parties in order to fulfill this promise. They needed to make it as easy as possible for developers to get their original concepts on the platform, while still keeping a watchful eye on quality. I guess they assumed the Wii would build-up its own ecosystem similarly to how the DS did, but they should have been much more proactive in making sure this was indeed the case.

I think what's frustrating is that, IMO, all Nintendo had to do was follow their traditional model: innovate, then refine. NES -> SNES, 2d graphics, N64 -> Gamecube 3d graphics, Wii -> Super Wii motion controls. The Wii's original promise was somewhat limited by the technology in the Wiimotes not being up to what people thought it should do. Nintendo solved that with Wii Remote Plus. They just needed to make Wii Remote Plus the standard controller for the Super Wii, and then make something easy to develop for and as graphically impressive as, say, $299 retail could have produced (WITHOUT CARING ABOUT HOW MANY WATTS IT USED OR HOW BIG THE CASING IS WTF NINTENDO ARGHHH!!!).

It's a false dichotomy to say Nintendo could either do another gimmick or get into an expensive arms race with Sony or Microsoft that they could never hope to win (never mind that at one point Nintendo was the largest company in Japan by market cap). They could have produced an impressive machine that was capable of easily handling downports from the PS4 and Durango. They didn't.

Your point about the software is also well taken. I've been saying for a long time, I don't think Nintendo themselves fully understood what made the Wii successful, and their failure to provide the kind of software the market was clearly desperate for was stunning.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I think what's frustrating is that, IMO, all Nintendo had to do was follow their traditional model: innovate, then refine. NES -> SNES, 2d graphics, N64 -> Gamecube 3d graphics, Wii -> Super Wii motion controls. The Wii's original promise was somewhat limited by the technology in the Wiimotes not being up to what people thought it should do. Nintendo solved that with Wii Remote Plus. They just needed to make Wii Remote Plus the standard controller for the Super Wii, and then make something easy to develop for and as graphically impressive as, say, $299 retail could have produced (WITHOUT CARING ABOUT HOW MANY WATTS IT USED OR HOW BIG THE CASING IS WTF NINTENDO ARGHHH!!!).

It's a false dichotomy to say Nintendo could either do another gimmick or get into an expensive arms race with Sony or Microsoft that they could never hope to win (never mind that at one point Nintendo was the largest company in Japan by market cap). They could have produced an impressive machine that was capable of easily handling downports from the PS4 and Durango. They didn't.

Your point about the software is also well taken. I've been saying for a long time, I don't think Nintendo themselves fully understood what made the Wii successful, and their failure to provide the kind of software the market was clearly desperate for was stunning.

It's funny how everybody was calling Iwata's business strategy 'ballsy' in 2005-6, when in hindsight I think most would agree it wasn't ballsy enough. It needed to be more refined and better focused in order to send the intended message across to gamers and developers. It took far too long to accumulate enough quality software to make a meaningful argument in favor motion and gesture controls or to demonstrate some of the benefits of having a lower-tech development environment with quicker turnaround times, and in the mean time the market was flooded with crap by third parties who were just in it for the cash.

And the fact that Wii U is perceived as a change of direction does even more harm to Wii's legacy since it basically allows developers to move on without ever fulfilling the promise of the original concept. 3DS may be perceived more as an incremental update, but the DS was able to build up the software library it needed in order to prove to the market that its core concepts were viable. The Wii never really made it that far before it was essentially killed, and in that sense it was a failure.

But to be fair, lets not forget the bitter reaction of gamers to Nintendo's new direction, and the clamoring for more 3D Zelda, more Metroid Prime, more 3D Mario, when what the console really needed was more Wii Sports and the like.

Superb job at what? Failing to sell the Wii U to consumers? Failing to get third party developpers on board for their AAA games? Failing to make hardware powerful enough to interest both groups?

lol

I think?
He cultivated Platinum Games to make two exclusives for the system, gained Monster Hunter 4 as a Nintendo exclusive, funded one of the three best RPGs this last generation, made developer updates free on the console, and is doing DLC how it ought to be done. The man has my endless praises right now. Considering that Bayonetta and Monster Hunter Tri were my favorite two games this last generation, that secured both for Nintendo this coming generation means he's doing more for me than the other two big platforms have thus far.

Plus, he brought us Nintendo Direct and Ask Iwata, two ways to reach out to the fanbase to keep them up to date. He let Sakurai have free reign with Kid Icarus, resulting in what I consider to be the best non-RPG handheld ever made.

I think most people are just upset that he isn't cultivating western developers, but that was never going to happen anyway. People need to get over it. That's not what Nintendo is about. Iwata is cultivating good games, and that makes me happy.

pswii60

He cultivated Platinum Games to make two exclusives for the system, gained Monster Hunter 4 as a Nintendo exclusive, funded one of the three best RPGs this last generation, made developer updates free on the console, and is doing DLC how it ought to be done. The man has my endless praises right now. Considering that Bayonetta and Monster Hunter Tri were my favorite two games this last generation, that secured both for Nintendo this coming generation means he's doing more for me than the other two big platforms have thus far.

Plus, he brought us Nintendo Direct and Ask Iwata, two ways to reach out to the fanbase to keep them up to date. He let Sakurai have free reign with Kid Icarus, resulting in what I consider to be the best non-RPG handheld ever made.

I think most people are just upset that he isn't cultivating western developers, but that was never going to happen anyway. People need to get over it. That's not what Nintendo is about. Iwata is cultivating good games, and that makes me happy.

Nintendo is a business. Whether you like what Iwata has done or not is irrelevant. It doesn't change the sales figures.

Shiggy

I think most people are just upset by Nintendo's current offerings on 3DS and Wii U, especially the latter. They just seem to be too focussed on Mario and simple sequels like Animal Crossing, NSMB, or even Wii Fit U.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Nintendo is a business. Whether you like what Iwata has done or not is irrelevant. It doesn't change the sales figures.

I'm pretty sure securing Bayonetta 2 and especially Monster Hunter 4 are not irrelevant business moves. XD

IMHO Iwata has got to go.

I do not understand how Nintendo managed to screw the Wii U up as badly as they have. They've had years to prepair for the systems launch, as well as the finances and human resources to really come up with something spectacular.

Instead what they've served up is:

A system with a buggy and poor performing OS, complete with system freezes. Years in development right here.

Out of the two games Nintendo have released so far, one is a pack in title, and the other was a port from Wii. Nintendo couldn't even get a serious game out with the system's launch window. Instead we get a port and a pack in title. Awesome. Not just that but the promise of Pikmin coming by March, yeah where's that gone?

Online service that still ties online sales to hardware. Nintendo still cant figure out user account systems. The Nintendo network is also slow as shit. How many people who downloaded Lego Cities were waiting 12+ hours to suck it down.

A system that is at most marginally powerful then the Xbox 360 and PS3. 7 years of tech improvements and the best they could come up with is a system that maybe and with some effort, can exceed 7 year old consoles. Amazing stuff this.

No 3rd party developer really cares about.[/B][/B] We've seen it miss game after game, and even devleopers like Ubisoft cancel once exclusive games to go multi platform. Seems no 3rd party gives two shits about the system. Then there's developers refusing to commit to future DLC or patches for the Wii U versions of their games.

Despite the Wii U's hardware being technologically weak, apparently it's quite expensive to make. Nintendo decided it'd be a great idea having IBM build a custom PPC 750 multi core CPU. Yeah totally awesome idea that one, investing millions or more on a 20 year old CPU architecture. Then there's the MCM, or the customised GPU from AMD that if we're lucky is 400 gigaflops. For the money Nintendo have spent on their MCM, CPU, and GPU, they could have got a far more powerful sollution. But instead they cripple their entire console for the stupid idea of low power consumption and because they cant be assed learning a new CPU architecture.

Iwata craps on about how the Wii U is going to have better 3rd party support then the Wii thanks to its more powerful and modern architecture. Bullshit. PS4: 1.8 teraflop GPU, 8GB GDDR5, dedicated HDD, 8 core x86 AMD CPU, yeah like hell the Wii U is going to get any significant downports or multi plats. The Wii U is so far behind the PS4 it's not in the same leauge.

Then there's the questions over how prepared Nintendo are internally for HD development. Not a single game out for Wii U other then a pack in and Wii port. Pikmin delayed. Massive amounts of job adverts running in Japan for everything from OS development, network engineers, to HD game developers. Nintendo only managing one patch in 4 months for the Wii U's OS. List goes on. Seems to me like Nintendo have been caught totally with their pants down and unprepared for the Wii U, and are now in a mad rush to salvage the system.

This post sums up my feelings about the Wii U, minus the bolded. I'm really only sad that the launch window titles just did not work out. It's really infuriating when you purchase a system for a specific reason only for those reasons to deteriorate week after week.

Pociask

Nintendo got Monster Hunter because it threatened their handheld dominance. Monster Hunter single-handedly made the PSP a serious competitor to the DS (in Japan). It wasn't a gesture of goodwill toward gamers. It was, again, solely about protecting their product (in one particular region - more on that later).

Bayonetta may be a good title, but it wasn't picked up for a sequel by anyone except for Nintendo for a reason. It's not going to move a lot of units.

Nintendo is "about" selling hardware and software across the globe. Japan is their SMALLEST market. To the extent they produce stuff that is quirkily Japanese, they're focusing on their smallest potential for profit. Cultivating developers outside of Japan is absolutely the job of Nintendo. They're terrible at that. They don't have to be - Sony, another Japanese console maker, managed to do a pretty great job at it.

But to be fair, lets not forget the bitter reaction of gamers to Nintendo's new direction, and the clamoring for more 3D Zelda, more Metroid Prime, more 3D Mario, when what the console really needed was more Wii Sports and the like.

Would people still call it a drought, if Nintendo had only been producing Wii Tennis, Wii Bowling, Wii Brain, Wii Cooking, etc. etc. etc.? I don't know, but you're right, they sure would have bitched.

Box

I can't tell if people want Iwata to go because they're optimistic about other people who would take over or if they just want someone to pay.

I'm not optimistic about someone new and that's the main reason that I want Iwata to stay.

RedSwirl

I blame it more on lack of compelling software, miserable demand generation and poor word of mouth. But that's my opinion.

I also wouldn't blame a console that sold 100 million units for the failures of a completely new console, but you seem pretty sold on the idea that Wii is the cause of all Nintendo's console problems.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about the whole Wii U situation right now, but we're still only what? Five months in? I still don't like to judge until the first Christmas after launch, but that's just me.

I totally agree with you and it's a good point you brought here.

Wii wasn't a failure, but like you said, wasn't a console to compete for a full console gen and by 2011 should have been succeed by Wii U. It's true that Wii is the reason for Nintendo staying on the console market, but I agree with Cheerilee's post when it says if Wii was a 720p-capable dev-friendly machine with motion controls would have revolutionized the industry and Nintendo would be the leader with an iron fist.

I think the problem for the Wii beyond 2009 was just lack of software. If Nintendo had kept the damn thing alive with new software in 2010 and 2011, maybe the idea of the Wii would still be alive to make people notice the Wii U. I don't care how weak the hardware is, if it can still get good software people will still give a shit. I think it should've had at least one more Wii Sports or Wii Fit-like hit.

Wii could have been a sound strategic move, had the ideas it presented been followed through to completion by Nintendo. As it is, Wii was a brilliant tactical move. Had Nintendo been entirely dedicated to their new approach they wouldn't have made some of the business decisions that they did, and I for one believe the market would have responded more favorably to them in the long run.

The whole point of Wii - at least according to consumer perception which made it an early hit - was a return to the values of the NES era. Among other things this meant simpler, cheaper to develop games, but at the gain of high quality and deep replayability and also a diverse and original lineup. Nintendo should have realized from the start they would need to collaborate much more with 3rd parties in order to fulfill this promise. They needed to make it as easy as possible for developers to get their original concepts on the platform, while still keeping a watchful eye on quality. I guess they assumed the Wii would build-up its own ecosystem similarly to how the DS did, but they should have been much more proactive in making sure this was indeed the case.

These are good points too. A big part of the problem is that no one could really advance the idea of motion controls beyond Wii Sports Plus. The sword mechanic didn't really get mastered until very late-on with Red Steel 2 and Skyward Sword.

However, I'm not sure if Nintendo could have convinced 3rd parties (at least western ones) to really get in on the idea of the Wii if they tried. A few tried -- you had things like Just Dance and EA Sports Active, but by and large 3rd parties weren't gonna veer that far off from what they were already used to making. The problem of the Wii is that it required developers to rethink their game ideas from the drawing board on up, something they weren't prepared to do. A lot of them probably paid for it with their jobs and businesses (at least by making bigger and bigger action games that had no chance of selling enough to justify their huge budgets).

I think a central problem here is that Nintendo itself is ideologically and philosophically opposed to most other companies in this industry, especially those the west.

That might have worked, especially since they'd JUST figured out sword fighting with the Wii Remote.

In that respect, you could look at the Wii as the sort of N64/PS1 era of motion controls. Most 3D games on those console have downright awkward controls compared to today's games. But once again like I noted above, I don't think most developers were really willing to support motion controls. They were too different. Compared to that, the GamePad looks like an easier pill to swallow. I honestly don't understand why so many people hate it.

They still need to. The business of console games is increasingly becoming an American's game. Plus, so much of their money comes from overseas markets right now that they probably need to have more content on their consoles targeting those markets. It's nice when you can just have third party support come to your console with those games, but when that doesn't happen Nintendo needs to find a way to make it happen.

Yeah I know their internal games have true international appeal. That's great, but it still isn't enough to hold up a whole game platform. It sucks but that's kind of how it is.

Earendil

I think a central problem here is that Nintendo itself is ideologically and philosophically opposed to most other companies in this industry, especially those the west.

This is pretty much the best explanation for the entire situation. The ideology of Nintendo is diametrically opposed to that of the typical western developer. This is the same for me as well. With the exception of a few things like Portal and Starcraft (which I can play on my PC), 90% of the games released by 3rd party western developers these days do not interest me in the least.

Azih

This is pretty much the best explanation for the entire situation. The ideology of Nintendo is diametrically opposed to that of the typical western developer. This is the same for me as well. With the exception of a few things like Portal and Starcraft (which I can play on my PC), 90% of the games released by 3rd party western developers these days do not interest me in the least.

The problem is that Nintendo seems to be out of step with the most powerful counter cultures to big budget western console development as well, which are the Steam style PC published games and the App Store style iOS/Android games.

Nintendo is the Cheese.

I can't tell if people want Iwata to go because they're optimistic about other people who would take over or if they just want someone to pay.

I honestly don't know if Iwata is the primary cause of Nintendo's misfortunes or not, but often people don't take time to think about all the factors in these situations. I've noticed in sports that when a team has a particularly bad year, you always start hearing cries of "Fire the Coach!" even when the problem was a lack of available talent or injuries. The leader always takes the blame for what happens under his watch, even when it is beyond his control.

Well, I've noticed in sports that when a team has a particularly bad year, you always start hearing cries of "Fire the Coach!" even when the problem was a lack of available talent or injuries. The leader always takes the blame for what happens under his watch, even when it is beyond his control.
It's bad news for Iwata if the factors that led to Wii U's current situation have been out of his control since 2008 when they started making the Wii U.

jineha

Neo Member
Nintendo didn't get MH. Capcom decided it because they want to sell MH outside Japan.
MHF is still alive in 360 and look at the new MH online in China. Where is Nintendo? People are complaining less third party support for Nintendo. But when third party releases their game for Nintendo system, they also complain about it.

It's bad news for Iwata if the factors that led to Wii U's current situation have been out of his control since 2008 when they started making the Wii U.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to comment on Iwata's role in Nintendo's misfortunes, I'm sure he does deserve some blame. I was simply giving the poster I replied to a parallel where ordinary people want to "throw the bum out" even when they haven't really thought about the causes of an organization's failure. "Anybody would be better than this guy" seems to be the primary response from fans in Sports when a team has had a particularly bad year.

Somnid

To put things into perspective the smartphone market barely existed in 2008. It's peaking now. The idea of the modern app store would have been created that July. PCs had a bright future, and the modern idea of a tablet didn't exist. You aren't going to claim Iwata had direct control over all of these things are you?

About the most we can say is that he's currently (because this ain't over) missed his foresight 1 of 4 times. Whether that alone should account for removal is I suppose up to people in charge. But I'd say pretty much this whole thread is driven on "what have you done for me lately" syndrome.

Coolwhip

Banned
Listen carefully. Off in the distance. Do you hear it? The bells toll for thee, Iwata.

You would be very sad if Iwata wouldn't give you a reason to bash Nintendo anymore though. Not that whoever would follow Iwata up would do things differently.

royalan

This is all well and good, but Nintendo needs the support of western markets and, more importantly, they WANT that support. So they cannot continue to ignore the realities of what type of games are most popular in the west. There's no having your cake and eating it too, as Iwata is now learning with the Wii U.

Ideally, Nintendo needs to go back to operating like it did in the SNES and N64 eras. NOJ was the heart of Nintendo, pumping out those games that really defined the company. But, to balance that out they had a MUCH stronger NOA that was able to go out and independently secure and fund popular western titles to balance out Nintendo's first and second party offerings.

But Nintendo no longer allows that, and It make no damn sense that Nintendo continues to become MORE Japan-centric at a time when western development is becoming more and more vital to the industry, all the while claiming to want to appeal to that market. No fucking sense.

Iwata must go.

You would be very sad if Iwata wouldn't give you a reason to bash Nintendo anymore though. Not that whoever would follow Iwata up would do things differently.

I'd imagine whoever followed Iwata would have to present a plan that... would be pretty much doing things differently.

Tobor

I'll be incredibly pissed if they hire some Iwata sycophant. I'll be incredibly stoked if its a progressive hire willing to change course.

I want Nintendo to succeed and become a modern company.

Azure J

Humor me for a second, let's say Iwata does get booted, wht would that mean for current fledgling initiatives like Web Framework and the openness towards indies that Nintendo put into motion? I want these initiatives to keep going and become bigger, but wouldn't a change in corporate have a bigger chance of killing this before it gets anywhere than going with it any further?

This isn't a "leave Iwata alone" in disguise by the way, so don't go there.

Shiggy

Humor me for a second, let's say Iwata does get booted, wht would that mean for current fledgling initiatives like Web Framework and the openness towards indies that Nintendo put into motion? I want these initiatives to keep going and become bigger, but wouldn't a change in corporate have a bigger chance of killing this before it gets anywhere than going with it any further?

These initiatives seem to be primarily led by NoA and NST, even though NCL definitely had to give approval. But I guess that's why we see so many Western eShop announcements.

Lunar15

Well, there's just as much possiblity of someone else coming in who wants to do that stuff even more, and places a greater priority on it.

Nitnendo's been slow going on adapting to web connectivity. Someone who isn't afraid to jump into this stuff faster may not be a bad thing. But there's always the chance that the next guy could be worse. It's a coin flip.

I wonder why NOA doesn't make any game for western market.

They're the most Japanese-centric out of any major Japanese gaming company right now.

Their primary audience first and foremost is Japan.

So at the moment they're outsourcing Western development. To that end, they have funded SiNG Party and LEGO City Undercover, with more Western titles to come.

It also helps that Mario is a global brand...that appeals to all territories.

royalan

To put things into perspective the smartphone market barely existed in 2008. It's peaking now. The idea of the modern app store would have been created that July. PCs had a bright future, and the modern idea of a tablet didn't exist. You aren't going to claim Iwata had direct control over all of these things are you?

About the most we can say is that he's currently (because this ain't over) missed his foresight 1 of 4 times. Whether that alone should account for removal is I suppose up to people in charge. But I'd say pretty much this whole thread is driven on "what have you done for me lately" syndrome.

I'm sorry, but this is a poor excuse. It completely disregards the heap of mistakes Iwata has made that are COMPLETELY independent of the success of the mobile industry.

The Wii U is a travesty of a device with no clear focus, terrible marketing, no system selling games, poor 3rd party support that Nintendo continue to not fight for, a price too high for what it is, a laughably shitty OS, and an expensive controller gimmick that's practically DOA.

These are ALL fuckups that Nintendo can blame on nobody but Iwata's poor leadership and complete lack of vision. Not the burgeoning mobile industry, not the resurgence of PC gaming, not the bad economy. Iwata.

jineha

Neo Member
Why are you all discussing WiiU? Iwata said 100 billion yen income in this year, not WiiU success. Obviously Nintendo wants to do it by 3DS alone.
WiiU is suck. But this is another problem.

NotLiquid

Why are you all discussing WiiU? Iwata said 100 billion yen income in this year, not WiiU success. Obviously Nintendo wants to do it by 3DS alone.

Because they're losing money on the Wii U and they need to acknowledge it's existence and turn a profit out of it. Pokemon X & Y and a million Mario titles is great for 3DS but they need to turn the Wii U situation around so investors can see that Iwata can sustain their console business after the Wii's success.

The Wii U is equally part of the equation and the 3DS would have to do beyond gangbusters to both shoulder those losses and give the company a 100 billion yen increase alone. With all the R&D that's being put into some of the Wii U and some of it's bigger games it would be a massive waste for them to ditch it and do even worse with it now.

wrowa

I'm sorry, but this is a poor excuse. It completely disregards the heap of mistakes Iwata has made that are COMPLETELY independent of the success of the mobile industry.

The Wii U is a travesty of a device with no clear focus, terrible marketing, no system selling games, poor 3rd party support that Nintendo continue to not fight for, a price too high for what it is, a laughably shitty OS, and an expensive controller gimmick that's practically DOA.

These are ALL fuckups that Nintendo can blame on nobody but Iwata's poor leadership and complete lack of vision. Not the burgeoning mobile industry, not the resurgence of PC gaming, not the bad economy. Iwata.

You are aware that Iwata is not a dictator who makes every decision on his own while the rest of the company does whatever he says? You can probably blame Nintendo's complete management, their board of directors, for what went wrong in the company. That's also why getting rid of Iwata probably wouldn't improve the company's condition all that much if at all. Nintendo doesn't need a scapegoat, they need the realization that their strategy -- especially outside of Japan -- has serious flaws.

royalan

Sadly, I think this is correct. Rather than face the music on his completely shitty handling of the Wii U and Nintendo in general, he's going to put everything they company has into the 3DS in an attempt to hide the Wii U in its shadow.

Eh, it's what he did with the 'Cube and GBA.

I expect a lot more joint "3DS and Wii U" language in the near future.

I thought the quote was that they could only reach that profit by making Wii U a success. Maybe someone can find it.

JordanN

Banned
You are aware that Iwata is not a dictator who makes every decision on his own while the rest of the company does whatever he says? You can probably blame Nintendo's complete management, their board of directors, for what went wrong in the company. That's also why getting rid of Iwata probably wouldn't improve the company's condition all that much if at all. Nintendo doesn't need a scapegoat, they need the realization that their strategy -- especially outside of Japan -- has serious flaws.
Can you explain what Iwata's powers are?

Responsibilities of a CEO said:
-Creating, communicating, and implementing the organization's vision, mission, and overall direction. Leading the development and implementation of the overall organization's strategy.

-Leading, guiding, directing, and evaluating the work of other executive leaders including presidents, vice presidents, and directors, depending on the organization's reporting structure.

-Soliciting advice and guidance, when appropriate, from a Board of Directors.

-Formulating and implementing the strategic plan that guides the direction of the business or organization.

-Overseeing the complete operation of an organization in accordance with the direction established in the strategic plans.

-Evaluating the success of the organization.

-Maintaining awareness of both the external and internal competitive landscape, opportunities for expansion, customers, markets, new industry developments and standards, and so forth.

- Representing the organization for civic and professional association responsibilities and activities in the local community, the state, and at the national level. (Other executive leaders bear responsibility for these vetures as interested or assigned as well.)

-Demonstrating the leadership necessary to make the organization's mission a success. This leadership includes providing leadership vision, leadership that attracts followers, and all other aspects of successful leadership.

Seems very influential to me.

Top Bottom