• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata to become Nintendo of America CEO, NoA CEO promoted to NCL Managing Director

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=38483

Reggie remains as President and COO as he always was.

NINTENDO CO., LTD. ANNOUNCES PROMOTION OF NOA CHAIRMAN TATSUMI KIMISHIMA TO NCL MANAGING DIRECTOR

Led Nintendo of America Since 2002

REDMOND, Wash., April 24, 2013 – Nintendo Co., Ltd. (NCL) today announced a planned promotion for Tatsumi Kimishima, current chairman and CEO of Nintendo of America (NOA) and a director of its parent Nintendo Co., Ltd. Subject to shareholder approval, he will become NCL managing director, and transfer from NOA in Redmond, Wash., to NCL headquarters in Kyoto, Japan. In his new position, he will assume the roles of general manager of Corporate Analysis and Administration, and general manager of the General Affairs Division. These titles are currently held by Yoshihiro Mori and Masaharu Matsumoto respectively, both of whom are retiring. Kimishima will assume his new duties in Kyoto later this summer.

Kimishima was named to his current position at NOA in 2006. He first joined Nintendo in Japan in 2000, and was subsequently named president of Pokémon USA in 2001, before moving on to become president of the Nintendo of America subsidiary in 2002. Previously, he spent 27 years at Sanwa Bank of Japan, with multiple postings in North America and Central America.

Many of his current responsibilities, including the CEO title, will be assumed by Global President Satoru Iwata. The move will support the company’s unified global strategy, allow streamlined decision making and enhance Nintendo's organizational agility in the current competitive environment. Reggie Fils-Aime will continue in his role as president and COO of NOA, reporting to Iwata.

Other changes announced to Nintendo’s global board of directors can be found at http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/.

Hero

This is either the best move or the worst move.

Also people expecting him to resign must be furious.

Iwata: Resign as CEO? How about I become CEO of NoA in addition? (laughs)

FStop7

Banned
my mind

dr_weird.jpg

Redhood

So he got booted from japan?
What will happen to Reggie now? :p Will he be undermined more? More power will be given to him or more will be stripped of him?

I think it was about time. Nintendo isn't lighting up the charts and also factor in some questionable moves they've done in the past, there was bound to be some shuffling in the top brass.

Sandfox

Its pretty funny that a ton of people on GAF want him fired and his role ends up expanding.

On a serious note this could potentially be a good thing if it makes NOA's output more like NOJ's but I'm not going to expect it just yet.

monome

More Iwata is a good thing.

I'm sorry for his sleep time and his wife though.

Its pretty funny that a ton of people on GAF want him fired and his role ends up expanding.

It's reggie I want out, even though I'm european.

Iwata is a sound person.
I think he's stuck between two situations :

1/ huge retail market which Nintendo approaches moslty through high volumes retaliers like Walmart/Carrefour etc...
2/ Brand recognition. In many aspects Nintendo is your childhood. They don't know how to value except by rehashing memories.
I'm pretty sure there is amiddle ground between selling xM units and favoring people who embrace your brand.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This is one of those cases where the only thing I can think of is

Iwata: *LAUGHS*

Seriously :lol

This is absolutely fucking hilarious. Whatever it means for the future of Nintendo aside, just the idea of everyone on GAF who have been grumbling for Iwata's blood being presented with this news makes me laugh so hard :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
So basically Reggie has to report directly to Iwata now.

I think this means Iwata has 2 titles now, Worldwide President and CEO of NOA

Kangi

This actually sounds like a really good move.

NoA needs to get on board more with what NoJ does; this seems like just the trick.

Exeunt

Regarding the bolded, I hope this really does lead to better communication and localization practices between the branches. If it helps things like the release of Earthbound and the simultaneous global launch of Pokémon X and Y become the norm, I think things will be better for all Nintendo gamers—or at least those in Japan and North America for now.

Jackano

I prefere this insted of Iwata retiring period. But it's still a sad day for Nintendo... except for NOA I assume!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom