• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata's approval up 3%, Miyamoto's down 6%, everyone else slightly to fairly down

Hmm, I would assume Hiroshi Yamauchi exercised his voting rights prior to his passing?

Would that have materially affected the composition of the voting, as his 10% holding is now non-voting Treasury Stock?
?

I remember seeing posts that said if Iwatas approval was in the 50-60% he would resign or get kicked off the following fiscal year. I'll look back to see if I'm remembering incorrectly or not.
If Iwata's approval rating does fall to 50-60% he would presumably make a dignified resignation from the CEO position rather than forcing the Board to act upon the will of the shareholders and remove him. That wasn't prediction, it was hypothesis.

random25

Sympathy vote is a real thing. Do people think that elections have never been important until this one?

I'm surprised you are still going on with this lol. This is a vote for leadership of a company. It's not a popularity contest where sympathy is a thing that can help you win. You think a person's health is an advantage to help a person win a position of power? That's a severe disadvantage. It will be a concern that will linger in the voters' minds whether the man is still physically fit to do his job or not.

FZZ

Banned
If Iwata's approval rating does fall to 50-60% he would presumably make a dignified resignation from the CEO position rather than forcing the Board to act upon the will of the shareholders and remove him. That wasn't prediction, it was hypothesis.

Yeah all I was saying was the flow of the conversion in the thread was based around this hypothesis.

Tomohawk

On the topic of sympathy votes, i would assume that Iwata having health problems would lower his approval rating since being sick affects Iwatas ability to run the company negatively. Also it wouldnt be good if the CEO passed part way through the year.

Wow didn't even know they had these. You'd think they were running for office or something.

Every public corporation has this, silly.

The CEO and the Board are ultimately accountable to the shareholders who determine whether or not to re-elect them every year.

But according to Japan's Financial Instruments and Exchange Law, it's required for Japanese companies to file the annual voting results with the Ministry of Finance.

AniHawk

Hmm, I would assume Hiroshi Yamauchi exercised his voting rights prior to his passing?

Would that have materially affected the composition of the voting, as his 10% holding is now non-voting Treasury Stock?

does it really matter? i mean if yamauchi had voted before his death (if he knew he was seriously ill, or always supported iwata at the beginning of the fiscal year or whatever), then wouldn't that affect 2003-2013's view of him too? it's not like yamauchi was absent from voting in 2013 but would have been present in 2014 to offset anything.

don't mean to be antagonistic but i just don't know where you're going with this.

random25

Many leaders were elected due to sympathy. This is very common actually.

You are talking about company leaders, right? I have some anecdotal evidences since I work for a company and have witnessed political elections with politicians carrying health problems so I can attest to the opposite of that. But I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Tomohawk

Many leaders were elected due to sympathy. This is very common actually.
Does that sympathy stem from health issues, cause I dont see how something that can be seen as a hindrance to some ones ability to carry out their job, makes people want to vote for them. Also theres plenty of examples of leaders hiding health issues to keep public confidence.

What has Miyamoto done for us lately? Or for that matter, ever?

Guy's a bum.

I'd say that his work on Pikmin 3 was pretty amazing, but honestly, what point is there to defend the guy if I'm only going to get the retreads of Miyamoto hate that GAF keeps harping on and on and on?

I mean, is there really a necessity to submit myself to that? Maybe I'll bite the bullet this one time.

I suppose that everyone needs a scapegoat from time to time, and I guess in this instance, GAF's preferred flavor of the month is one Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto.

Furthermore, I'd turn those questions around to you, lad - what have you done for us lately? Or for that matter, ever?

Convincing us that his demos (while admittedly rough around the edges) are a waste of time, or that the man's past his prime? Or perhaps that he hasn't made any valued contributions to Nintendo whatsoever? Come on, there are other yahoos who've listed that time and time again, what makes you any different than them?

But keep that little spark of positivity buzzing in my mind, I do hope that the younglings that Miyamoto mentored have managed to be a chip off the old block, and the like. Maybe EAD Tokyo's brimming with that new energy we've been all seeking from Nintendo for some time now. Maybe Miyamoto should really get in gear and loosen up a bit.

Say what you want about the guy, but reconsider that retort - you were going so well until you called him a bum.

Dont hate the player hate the game. Miyamoto is in charge of games, there for by induction we hate Miyamoto.

So transference of anger then? Seems legit.

I'd say that his work on Pikmin 3 was pretty amazing, but honestly, what point is there to defend the guy if I'm only going to get the retreads of Miyamoto hate that GAF keeps harping on and on and on?

I mean, is there really a necessity to submit myself to that? Maybe I'll bite the bullet this one time.

I suppose that everyone needs a scapegoat from time to time, and I guess in this instance, GAF's preferred flavor of the month is one Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto.

Furthermore, I'd turn those questions around to you, lad - what have you done for us lately? Or for that matter, ever?

Convincing us that his demos (while admittedly rough around the edges) are a waste of time, or that the man's past his prime? Or perhaps that he hasn't made any valued contributions to Nintendo whatsoever? Come on, there are other yahoos who've listed that time and time again, what makes you any different than them?

But keep that little spark of positivity buzzing in my mind, I do hope that the younglings that Miyamoto mentored have managed to be a chip off the old block, and the like. Maybe EAD Tokyo's brimming with that new energy we've been all seeking from Nintendo for some time now. Maybe Miyamoto should really get in gear and loosen up a bit.

Say what you want about the guy, but reconsider that retort - you were going so well until you called him a bum.

You're so busy trying to construct a persecution narrative that you just typed 7 paragraphs rebutting a completely sarcastic two liner.

Cuburt

Good. With all the talk for the last 6 months about how Iwata should be fired from his vocal detractors, it's good to see the investors believe in his plans for the company.

There are a lot of good changes in the pipelines and we are beginning to see the fruit of their labor. 2015 should be a great year for them.

Zalman

Wow, I don't understand why Miyamoto's approval rating went down. Has he done anything wrong? Anyway, I'm glad Iwata's' up, I think he deserves it.

Tomohawk

Wow, I don't understand why Miyamoto's approval rating went down. Has he done anything wrong? Anyway, I'm glad Iwata's' up, I think he deserves it.
Software isnt done on time. I assume hes also some what in charge of 3rd party support. No meaningful gamepad games.

He has the huge responsibility of managing the EAD's software development. One of the biggest issues that Nintendo's been encountering recently is that the software is consistently delayed, and games like Steel Diver are underperforming. The burden of shouldering that falls on him.

NolbertoS

Sympathy vote is a real thing. Do people think that elections have never been important until this one?

I'm wondering if you were serious or ever attended a shareholders meeting. I've been to one that wasn't videogame related and I can tell you there is no sympathy for anybody thats sick. As an investor you look at long term results and value for your money. If they they a risk analysis on potential candidates that could lead Nintendo, I'm sure they realized Iwata was still the best choice and bang for there buck to at least make more money or keep shares as is. Even health has a financial risk to it. You can also say that if your CEO is on medical leave, the risk of increasing profit could diminish greatly, so why choose him?? Unless he's still the best candindate to make you money. I doubt Iwata's health played into "sympathy" votes for him.

Cuburt

So transference of anger then? Seems legit.
You can see Miyamoto's influence on game design across the company. Like hearing the Splatoon devs saying how they developed the game concept and mechanics before they decided what the characters would be is definitely in line with Nintendo's development philosophy and based on how long Miyamoto has repeated that same philosophy, I wouldn't be surprised if it's origin's traced right back to him.

Their "gameplay first" philosophy (my words, not theirs), has been something it seems Miyamoto always wants to drill into developers heads whenever I read them talking about behind the scenes moments with Miyamoto. He started in an era where gameplay was everything and has worked hard to make sure that is still a part of Nintendo's DNA.

Cheerilee

Miyamoto's rating would have gone up, thanks to E3, but Iwata picked the locks on the ballot boxes and stole Miyamoto's positive votes.

What Miyamoto did wrong was that he didn't personally guard the ballot boxes, nor did he steal Iwata's votes.

That's what happens when you go out fishing for the weekend, Miyamoto. All you end up with is ideas for new games. And fish. What a loser.

I'm wondering if you were serious or ever attended a shareholders meeting. I've been to one that wasn't videogame related and I can tell you there is no sympathy for anybody thats sick. As an investor you look at long term results and value for your money. If they they a risk analysis on potential candidates that could lead Nintendo, I'm sure they realized Iwata was still the best choice and bang for there buck to at least make more money or keep shares as is. Even health has a financial risk to it. You can also say that if your CEO is on medical leave, the risk of increasing profit could diminish greatly, so why choose him?? Unless he's still the best candindate to make you money. I doubt Iwata's health played into "sympathy" votes for him.
Q16: President Iwata is too sincere and seems to be taking on the company's slump by himself. Is this the cause of his illness? Miyamoto-san seems to be aloof. (audience laughter) I want President Iwata to have that brazenness. Please tell him that. (audience laughter)

You are talking about company leaders, right? I have some anecdotal evidences since I work for a company and have witnessed political elections with politicians carrying health problems so I can attest to the opposite of that. But I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Does that sympathy stem from health issues, cause I dont see how something that can be seen as a hindrance to some ones ability to carry out their job, makes people want to vote for them. Also theres plenty of examples of leaders hiding health issues to keep public confidence.

Iwata's case is different. He removed an early stage cancer and, fortunatelly for him, probably won't evolve even further, so it won't become a chronic disease which would require constant treatment and, furthermore, cause health deterioration.

There was an expectation for his recovery and resume of his activities, as some NeoGAF threads are solid examples of this solidarity, so it's very likely that shareholders shared this same feeling.

Its hard to tell because the other board members had a huge drop in approval, when looking at the past few years they were relatively the same.

Unless I'm completely wrong in which case just ignore what I said.

I'm looking at raw numbers, not percentages.

Tomohawk

Iwata's case is different. He removed an early stage cancer and, fortunatelly for him, probably won't evolve even further, so it won't become a chronic disease which would require constant treatment and, furthermore, cause health deterioration.

There was an expectation for his recovery and resume of his activities, as some NeoGAF threads are solid examples of this solidarity, so it's very likely that shareholders shared this same feeling.

I feel that nintendo shareholders meeting and nintengaf are two completely different entities, but some fool wasted a question on zelda so I could be wrong.

AniHawk

I feel that nintendo shareholders meeting and nintengaf are two completely different entities, but some fool wasted a question on zelda so I could be wrong.

then there was this line of questioning:

q15 are you really the head of the hardware division?
a15: (takeda) yes

q16: really?
a16: (takeda) yes

q17: you?
a17: (takeda) yes. i hope this has been enlightening for you.

You're talking about investors here. These are people that have poured immense amounts of money in hopes of the company's success. These people need to have the capacity to both sympathize with Iwata's situation while still being impartial in judging their business acumen, because they have way too much at stake to not do so.

If these investors did not have some degree of confidence in Iwata's direction, then they would have shown it regardless of Iwata's current well being.

Seik

Banned

You've got to be kidding me. That's not for real, right? :lol

Their "gameplay first" philosophy (my words, not theirs), has been something it seems Miyamoto always wants to drill into developers heads whenever I read them talking about behind the scenes moments with Miyamoto. He started in an era where gameplay was everything and has worked hard to make sure that is still a part of Nintendo's DNA.

I feel like that approach will keep making their games very enjoyable for years to come.

Also, you just reminded me that Iwata Asks is due for a return soon. I really want to see one for Splatoon later down the line.

Isn't that attributed to the buy back of Yamauchi's shares?

So there's less votes overall?

Then that means Yamauchi voted in opposition of Iwata. I don't believe that.

There are ~50,000 less shares being used in voting against Iwata. But only ~5000 more shares being used in voting for Iwata.

atr0cious

Umm.. this is obviously a plant question to take the heat for the albatross that is the WiiU, thus ensuring Iwata's approval.

random25

Gamers and investors are not the same. Investors pour money at their chosen companies hoping to get a profit or a good return of investment. Like I said, sympathy due to health concerns won't work when electing for position of power. And it's also a job. They can sympathize all they want to Iwata the person, but when looking at Iwata the CEO, health issues will be a concern for them. And the fact they they got an update on his status gives more of an assurance that he's still capable for the job, earning him the votes almost the same from last time, rather than sympathy.

JoeM86

Umm.. this is obviously a plant question to take the heat for the albatross that is the WiiU, thus ensuring Iwata's approval.

Conspiracy theorist much?

Voting ended Thursday. The meeting was Friday. Ergo, any questions in the meeting had no bearing on the result.

Gamers and investors are not the same. Investors pour money at their chosen companies hoping to get a profit or a good return of investment. Like I said, sympathy due to health concerns won't work when electing for position of power. And it's also a job. They can sympathize all they want to Iwata the person, but when looking at Iwata the CEO, health issues will be a concern for them. And the fact they they got an update on his status gives more of an assurance that he's still capable for the job, earning him the votes almost the same from last time, rather than sympathy.

Indeed. Health concerns typically result in people being removed and company value going down.

Indeed. Health concerns typically result in people being removed and company value going down.

Not always.

chart-of-the-day-apple-after-steve-jobs.jpg

Half of them has a nearly identical 93.33% approval rating with 45k opposing votes. It's like they all went "I don't know you but screw you all".

Happy to see Iwata stay.

Dr. Buni

Good to see Miyamoto's approval rate went down.

I thank him for the ideas for games he had 30 years ago, but now IMO he does more harm than good to Nintendo.

A company run by GAF would be fun to watch... or depressing.

Still, I'm not surprised. Iwata has laid out a plan to go ahead including a restructuring of their R&D, a new venture for business that could hold significant value and a unified system for the future. Miyamoto has failed to deliver enough hit software to help their hardware business so it makes sense that his approval is down. He is the head honcho of software at Nintendo, so it's his responsibility to make sure that the software is ready to sell hardware.

Why is this a good thing? You realize all this will do is (at worst) remove him from the board but still keep him in charge of all Nintendo software (and as General Producer EAD)?

I'd personally prefer Mr. Miyamoto spending 100% of his time knee-deep directing games instead of worrying about the administration duties of a Board member.

You're talking about investors here. These are people that have poured immense amounts of money in hopes of the company's success. These people need to have the capacity to both sympathize with Iwata's situation while still being impartial in judging their business acumen, because they have way too much at stake to not do so.

If these investors did not have some degree of confidence in Iwata's direction, then they would have shown it regardless of Iwata's current well being.

That's exactly the problem here. Nintendo is in the red for three years in a row.

2012: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...in-three-decades-over-500-million-in-the-red/
2013: http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/24/4260062/nintendo-2012-earnings
2014: http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/7/5689878/nintendo-earnings-fy-2013

From 2012 to 2013, Iwata took a huge shake in it's rating, from 90.60% to 77.26%. No need to guess the losses are the reason for shareholders's unhappiness. The rating drop was around the time Nintendo suffered the second loss.

This year was the third loss. Iwata admitted he misread the market and need to redefine what Nintendo need to do.

Makes difficult to believe profits are the reason for this rating boost.

Top Bottom