• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JACK THOMPSON STILL HAS A GRUDGE

This is an interview with the disgraced lawyer Jack Thompson and how he hasn't changed his mind about his outrageous claims of video game violence.

Probably still bitter that people didn't pay attention to his nonsense.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
obi-wan-star-wars.gif

NickFire

Poor Jack. If he started trying to shut down games just a few years later he'd have a huge patreon by now. He'd have to twist himself into pretzels explaining why Harry Potter is so dangerous to keep the juice flowing, but small price to pay to market your outrage.

MiguelItUp

I feel sad for the guy, it's not going to go the way he wants it to, just as it hasn't this whole time. So he should just give up and enjoy life, lol.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Someone is still paying attention to this moron?

When you think about it he was just ahead of his time. Now cancel culture based on outlandish claims is the norm.

He really was blazing the path for the modern day games media to follow.

He can easily start a right wing grift.

Say videos games are indoctrinating our children! CRT! Devils work! Guns don’t kill people, video games kill people!

Has all the “talent”, no ambition.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I never took his claims seriously until i started to look at all the school shootings have followed in the 2000s and 2010s. Before that we only had columbine in 1999. As games got more violent and shooters became more popular, the school and college shootings definitely exploded. Correlation isnt causation but im curious to see why this became a thing in the 90s and then exploded in the 2000s and 2010s.

if not video games then what? What changed?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
For those who don’t remember, Thompson was the attorney who led the charge against violent video games and helped morph a fringe topic into a dominant wedge issue of the mid-2000s.

I don't remember that. Like, at all. In fact, as someone who is into video games, I'd never even heard of Jack Thompson until an article in Game Informer talked about a parody of him in GTA IV. Jack Thompson is a nobody.

“It made me sick to my stomach,” said Thompson when I asked about the first time he saw Grand Theft Auto up close. “I was in my house, I put [Grand Theft Auto III] in a video game console, and it was disturbing. You weren’t passively watching something; you were participating in it.”
I've always loved to laugh at this idiotic thinking. By this logic, Jack Thompson should be going on murdering sprees against various groups of people. I'd bet real money that he played cowboys and indians, and cops and robbers as a child. This moron pantomimed killing people because of their ethnicity and profession as a child, by his logic that should mean he's a mass murderer today.

Last edited:

Honey Bunny

If he changed his thesis from 'video game depictions cause violence' to 'video games depictions cause sexism' he would get widespread industry support from the same people who shunned him. Think about it Jack.

LavosBit

Neo Member
I never took his claims seriously until i started to look at all the school shootings have followed in the 2000s and 2010s. Before that we only had columbine in 1999. As games got more violent and shooters became more popular, the school and college shootings definitely exploded. Correlation isnt causation but im curious to see why this became a thing in the 90s and then exploded in the 2000s and 2010s.

Like everything? We might be too close to the times to fully appreciate it, but the last two decades have probably been more fast moving and consequential than any other time in history outside of the Industrial Revolution.

mitch1971

gun laws?

A.Romero

He should update his arguments. He could have supported the movement against sexism in games and later against loot boxes.

Less and less people care about violence in games. Sometimes it's brought up when it's revealed that a shooter was a CoD fan or something like that but it usually doesn't get traction. Political fanaticism is a much more attractive point to be milked by media.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
If he changed his thesis from 'video game depictions cause violence' to 'video games depictions cause sexism' he would get widespread industry support from the same people who shunned him. Think about it Jack.
No he wouldn't. No one thinks video games cause sexism. People have a problem with how sexism effects depictions of people in games. If you can't figure out what people are saying maybe you should listen more.

Bakkus

If only he was a woman and said similar things trough a feminist lens. Would he be adored by a lot of people who has bashed him for 15 years? I don't know, maybe?

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.

Parenting, social media, liberal extremism

Last edited:

Vaelka

'' Jack Thompson is a grudge ''.

Same game journalists: '' OMG SARKEESIAN OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH YES YOU'RE RIGHT VIDYA GAEMS CAUSES SEXISM ''

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
It's a perfectly reasonable question to ask when I don't live in a country where I can go to my local superstore to purchase a gun?
sorry you live in a country where you don’t have the right to protect yourself or your property

This is an interview with the disgraced lawyer Jack Thompson and how he hasn't changed his mind about his outrageous claims of video game violence.

Probably still bitter that people didn't pay attention to his nonsense.
Honestly I don't blame him. Anita Sarkeesian became famous and celebrated in the industry by stealing his homework and changing the title from "violence" to "sexism."

Top Bottom