• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jackie Chan thought 'Rush Hour' was terrible when he first saw it

scust.png

In the late 1990s, his manager pleaded with him to make one more go at it: There was this project called Rush Hour, in which Chan would play a Hong Kong police inspector who teams up with a wise-cracking LAPD detective (Chris Tucker) to rescue a Chinese politician’s kidnapped daughter. Chan agreed to do the Brett Ratner-directed 1998 action comedy in large part because it allowed him to speak in broken English.
After Chan wrapped Rush Hour, he told his manager he would never do another film like it again. “That’s a terrible movie,” Chan recounted saying. “They don’t allow me to do my own style [of action]. The English, I’m not good. Chris Tucker’s English, I don’t understand. Terrible movie!” He sat there dumbfounded as moviegoers laughed through the premiere. “Why are they laughing, I just don’t understand,” he thought.
Full article and video

Like this world wasn't bad enough, can't believe he thought his second best
Hollywood
movie was terrible. WTF?
what.png

norm9

Lol. Reading the interview with the Jackie quotes as Lee.

Rush Hour is fucking fantastic and fuck you if you don't like it.

Slayven

Rush Hour and Bad Boys were once in a life time movies.

Looking on paper, no way they should have been as good as they were

Gravidee

So he thinks Rush Hour is terrible even though he has starred in quite a few actual terrible movies in recent years.

The first two movies are legit great, despite Ratner being at the helm.

I continue to believe that a Shane Black-written and -directed Rush Hour would be the movie of the fucking century.

Azuran

Banned
Jackie what are you doing? Shouldn't you be shilling for the Chinese government instead of destroying your masterpieces?

To be fair he didn't understand the humor. Big cultural difference there

It's the best movie he's been in since his hey day in Hong Kong action flicks tho imo. So damn entertaining

Chris Tucker was A1 in the 90s too. Kevin Hart tries to be like that (and he's more successful) but he fails at getting it

The first two movies are legit great, despite Ratner being at the helm.

I continue to believe that a Shane Black-written and -directed Rush Hour would be the movie of the fucking century.

Hell no. I love shane black but he does not have the rush hour humor in him. Plus he would have to shoehorn a stupid kid in the movie. Probably have Soo Yans daughter or son tag along with them or some shit lol

L Thammy

This was known for a long while. Even if he doesn't get the jokes, they're still hilarious though, so I don't care.

Strike

Yeah, I remember it coming out a few years ago about how he didn't get the humor in these films. It's still easily the best thing he's done stateside.

norm9

Chris Tucker was A1 in the 90s too. Kevin Hart tries to be like that (and he's more successful) but he fails at getting it

Nowadays it's Kevin Hart and Terry crews instead of Chris Tucker and Tiny Zeus Lister but less good.

Rush Hour and Bad Boys were once in a life time movies.

Looking on paper, no way they should have been as good as they were

I go Bad Boys 1 over Bad Boys 2 even though 2 is the iconic one. 2 skewed more towards Will and I liked Martin more.

farisr

So he thinks Rush Hour is terrible even though he has starred in quite a few actual terrible movies in recent years.
I think that's the reason he starred in those terrible movies. He probably didn't see the difference as he seemingly didn't get why Rush Hour worked.

There was an interview he did where he talked about Hollywood action needed everything to be planned and coordinated in advance. Compared to how he worked in Hong Kong it was very restrictive. Plus the amount of time allocated for shooting the action scenes was tiny compared to what he was used to.

I'm not surprised that he would think it was a bad film after shooting it. But I would be surprised if he still thinks it isn't a good film.

I'd also be sad if it turned out he didn't have fun filming it. Because it looks like everyone involved in those films is having a good time. I should watch them all again. I liked 3 when I saw it in the cinema, haven't seen it since. Rush Hour 2 was the first DVD I ever saw.

This coming from the man that insisted that the kid in The Forbidden Kingdom be a white guy instead of a Chinese-American like originally planned.

Oh and of course the whole shilling for the Beijing government thing.

norm9

I liked 3 when I saw it in the cinema, haven't seen it since. Rush Hour 2 was the first DVD I ever saw.

Rush hour 3 looked forced on the screen. Watched it a few times. The fun isnt there. Brett Ratner is really bad with third movies, but that's also a compliment too.

Rush hour 1, Spawn, and Saving Private Ryan were my first few dvds so thy had alot of play.

"My daddy'll kick your daddy's ass all the way from here to China, Japan, wherever the hell you from and all up that Great Wall too."

Jumeira

Banned
WTF its an all time classic, will rewatch tomorrow as ive been getting the usual yearly itch to revisit one of the best comedy's made.

"Clean this all this shit in here.....AND BUSH YO TEETH"

"They dont give a damn about you, the girl dont like you, i dont like you"

L Thammy

Doesn't Jackie Chan also memorize his lines by sound because he doesn't totally understand them? I seem to recall there being an outtake where someone fed him joke lines and he couldn't tell why everyone was laughing.

"My daddy'll kick your daddy's ass all the way from here to China, Japan, wherever the hell you from and all up that Great Wall too."

Lmao and then he says "Don't talk about my daddy" like he didn't start that whole argument in the first place

Love the second movie as well but 1 is on another level. Carter is such an asshole to Lee haha. Just second to lethal weapons for me for GOAT buddy cop series

Alastor3

This coming from the man that insisted that the kid in The Forbidden Kingdom be a white guy instead of a Chinese-American like originally planned.

Oh and of course the whole shilling for the Beijing government thing.

But... But..... Jackie is a international treasure!

jerry113

Banned
It's a terrible Jackie Chan movie, but it's an entertaining movie by its own right.

For someone who likes to make good action, Rush Hour had jack shit for action.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
here's hoping there are more jackie style stunts on the 4th movie than the foreigner

Dude's not getting any younger and has talked over and over about trying to be respected as an actor and not just a martial artists. Not saying we won't see big stunts or action scenes in future Jackie movies but I don't think he's going to be sacrificing his body like he used to.

Top Bottom