• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jade Empire fans...UNITE!

AFreak

Banned
I've been talking with a friend lately whether Jade Empire or Mass Effect was the better game. He has his heart set firmly with Mass Effect, while I lean towards Jade Empire.

Jade Empire, to me, just has the better setting (historical fictionalized China is rarely used, space is used often), better main character( I just love my hot Chinese chick :)), and much better missions (no Mako here).

However, Jade Empire is usually remembered as the red herring of the Bioware RPGs, but I'd give that crown to ME myself.

What I'm really trying to say is: I WANT MY JADE EMPIRE 2!

Thoughts gaf?

Bernbaum

I was thinking about this game just before.

Rented it, but always wanted to play it all the way through. I might give the Steam version a burl.

Cant0na

Banned
wasnt there some talk about Jade empire2 for awhile......it completely fell off the map after that

guess it took a back seat to ME2 and Dragonage.............fall 2010?

Speevy

Banned
Nah, I didn't hate Jade Empire, but after a few years of reflection I can't say it's left a positive impression on me.

Jade Empire had a great setting and theme but they ruined it by having a completely broken combat system and coming after KOTOR the whole dark side/good side thing felt played out. I sort of view it as a noble failure but a failure never the less.

I had a lot of fun with the game. It was a good game, but the main problem for me was combat...interesting at first, but eventually it just became way to repetitive.

I'm a definite fan of the game, but prefer Mass Effect to it.

red herring of Bioware rpgs? That Sonic DS game.

Cartman86

Banned
For me it's this

Mass Effect
Better setting and mythology
More immersive
Didn't feel painful to finish it

Jade Empire
Better missions
Better combat

Overall? Mass Effect.

Timber

I enjoyed it the first time around but its flaws were maginified when I tried to replay it. What annoyed me most is the triggering of cutscenes before nearly every encounter, especially near the beginning of the game. I was all "argh stop interrupting me and let me play this game!" Got up to the first city and quit out of boredom. Mass Effect got a lot more playtime and playthroughs from me.

UNDERSTAR

Banned
I think this might be the only RPG I ever played and beaten out of my whole gaming life.:D I loved the game cept the shitty ending which I didn't like. Also like one of the NPC's name is "Cook Teh"

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stoney Mason said:
Jade Empire had a great setting and theme but they ruined it by having a completely broken combat system and coming after KOTOR the whole dark side/good side thing felt played out. I sort of view it as a noble failure but a failure never the less.

The setting was shit. It was barely wuxia like they promised. Did a pretty poor job of incorporating asian myths and legends in too.

Wasted opportunity.

AFreak

Banned
Zod the Bear said:
I had a lot of fun with the game. It was a good game, but the main problem for me was combat...interesting at first, but eventually it just became way to repetitive.

I'm a definite fan of the game, but prefer Mass Effect to it.

red herring of Bioware rpgs? That Sonic DS game.

Oh yeah, completely forgot about the Sonic game. Never played it.

I don't know, I love good/evil(I hate middle of the road shit, honestly if I wanted grey areas in my life I'd walk outside and talk to someone). That's another reason I hated MAss Efffect. You were either a douche or a lamer. Besides a couple of spots, what you did wasn't that good and the evil you caused wasn't that great either.

I played KOTOR so I could kill kittens and then dance on their graves, and I want more games to let me be as evil as I want to be. Sadly, almost every good/evil game is going the way of The Witcher/Mass Effect and there's always some underlying grey area that I don't care to see.

So yeah, wasn't played out to me, just more of what I love.

SlickVic

I enjoyed Jade Empire but overall I preferred Mass Effect. Thought the combat was much better, the main plot line was more interesting, and it just felt more immersive to me. I really loved how all the dialogue from the main character is spoken in ME even though you constantly have a choice of what to have Shepherd say. Don't know why but it really made me feel more immersed in Shepherd's character versus just having another mute protagonist.

I guess it's a bit unfair to knock Jade Empire on not having a speaking protagonist since it was an original XBOX game but that was definitely one of things I loved so much about the presentation of ME. I do think JE had some better side quests though.

AFreak

Banned
Ronabo said:
Paralyzing Palm! One Thousand Cuts! repeat ad nauseam

I do admit combat was a little easy, but I loved what I had on me. I upgraded Stone Golem all the way, and upgraded Betsy(the gun) all the way. Nothing could touch me after that, lol. I think I beat the last boss in 3 hits with Stone Golem all the way up/

I liked Jade Empire. It didn't live up to my expectations (thanks for the overly gushing preview, Play magazine!), but it was a solid game. The battle system was better than KotOR's (which is incredibly boring), even if the transformations kinda broke the game.

...I don't think it beats KotOR in any other way, just to be clear. I recently restarted KotOR and was reminded how damn well made it is, stupid "pod racing" sections aside. (Why can't Bioware ever get the action-based stuff right?)

So yeah... Jade Empire is not a great game, but it's certainly a good one. I'm glad I played it.

Bresson

Neo Member
As Bioware first attempt to mix action and RPG, it was decent, but they toned down the RPG aspect too much. I liked how you have only 1 type of item to equip in the game and it was still a huge pain to manage. Does Bioware own a patent for poorly designed inventory management?

I liked it enough back then, but combat was so unbalanced, I don't remember a game where I owned the final boss that easily.

I remember watching my friend play the game, he was making a really big deal about it on the phone.

I then remember seeing and hearing "thousand cuts! thousand cuts!" probably a thousand times.

it was an odd first impression, and being a huge combat mechanic guy i didn't come off impressed much.

MechaX

Jade Empire was... okay. I can't say I have a lot of exciting memories of the game, but I finished it at least. The atmosphere and setting was okay, I suppose. I would pretty much get pulled right out of the experience when I see a Chinese worker with Cam Clarke's voice (Liquid Snake), but eh. That's one of the falliblities of voice acting, especially when you get to trans-settings. The combat was rather boring, especially when considering that jumping over some one and using Thousand Cuts proved to be more effective than.. well, anything else.

The only thing I remember about the story was how
your master opened a dojo for the past two decades just for the sole purpose of training you to be an unstoppable killing machine except for how he taught you to have one opening in your stance that only he could exploit, betrayed you because he foresaw that you would be the best martial artist ever after... killing your parents or stealing you from somewhere or something, would take revenge on the evil emperor, and then took the throne for himself.
The entire way the event unfolded was so ridiculous that it still amuses me even to this day.

Persona7

Banned
I think Jade Empire has the best setting and mythology out of all their games, but like all bioware games it suffered from a ton of technical problems.

I enjoyed it though.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Jade Empire was a pretty good game, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as KOTOR or Mass Effect.

hyduK

Banned
Both are great, but Mass Effect trumps JE. That reminds me though, I should play through JE again....anyone know if the Xbox Originals Version is good? Is it the special edition?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Timber said:
red herring, black sheep... same difference!
lol no.

To me JE is definitely Biowares most unremarkable game. The only thing i remember is that the plot was overly ridiculous (which seemed to put in a "twist" for the hell of it) and the part with the Easterner (omg in our universe the east is the west and the west is the east!) with the rifle voiced my John Cleese. If you havent had the chance to die to him, i highly suggest doing so.

Aaron

Number 2 said:
lol no.

To me JE is definitely Biowares most unremarkable game. The only thing i remember is that the plot was overly ridiculous (which seemed to put in a "twist" for the hell of it) and the part with the Easterner (omg in our universe the east is the west and the west is the east!) with the rifle voiced my John Cleese. If you havent had the chance to die to him, i highly suggest doing so.
Don't forget the girl on girl kiss! Mature content!

I actually liked the combat, though it could have used more refinement. Everything else, especially the plot and setting, was pretty terrible.

Chichikov

The game has plenty of problems, but it has one of the best settings of any RPG.
Kung Fu >>>>>> prancing elves and midgets.

So yeah, I hope there's a Jade Empire 2, lord knows we had enough Lord of the Rings ripoffs.

vesp

Jade Empire was fine....

until it randomly ended 8 hours after you started it and you started wondering how the fuck an rpg was shorter than halo.

firex

uniting Jade Empire fans is a good idea. once they're all rounded up we can bury them under concrete and get rid of one group of people with horrible taste.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
firex said:
uniting Jade Empire fans is a good idea. once they're all rounded up we can bury them under concrete and get rid of one group of people with horrible taste.

I'm all for this.

There is one area where Jade Empire is better than all other Bioware games: its side-quests. Quests like "The drowned orphans" and "Aishi the Mournful Blade" were incredibly well-written, and actually quite moving.

g0atcheese

Neo Member
firex said:

Then burying you would get rid of another :D

I severely enjoyed Jade Empire (severely seems like the right word here for some reason). Perhaps it's just nostalgia but that was a good summer for me (I bought the game's collector's edition used along with a bunch of other games and an xbox). Yes the combat was terrible, and I really wasn't a fan of the vertical shooting sections, but I loved the characters and I was really into "kung fu" movies back then.

I would prefer to have fond memories of this game, so I probably won't ever go back and replay it.

Top Bottom