• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jagex: RuneScape on mobile will make the MMO a "second-screen experience"

Chris1

Nobody expected it to live longer then a few months because it would be stagnant forever until they started doing community stuff and OSRS only updates, which is brilliant in hindsight but still CRAZY and unprecedented

Even with updates noone expected it to last this long, at least not Jagex anyway.

Remember when Mod Nexus went back to RS3 after 6 month? Mod Ash was supposed to go back aswell, and OSRS support was supposed to be cut completely. But Ash stayed on OSRS and ever since that point, the team got far more support (engine guy, hired a ton of people, proper development tools, etc).

6 months was how long Jagex gave it and they got proven wrong and ended up being forced to double down on it.

13ruce

Banned
Never visit the official osrs (runescape 2007 reddit) reddit tho place is pure cancer full of racistic and homophobic pieces of shit and dumb memes currently one named #gayretards is goin on.

They even had a stance against an lbgt event when a rainbow colored scarf was added to the game (rioting/protesting in game too with crazy racistic and homophobic comments). So while osrs is a great game it has a pretty dark side too so if any of you peeps try it out the game on mobile avoid peeps such as those, there are luckily also awesome peeps playin the game who are helpfull or are just nice/friendly. So don't let that ruin it i just wanted to warn in advance.

Runescapes 3's community is fine altho a bit whiny sometimes. But i can understand why sometimes. Also a great game to be honest and nice community too, again just avoid the bad apples.

Cody_D165

Banned
I still strongly urge anyone looking to scratch their nostalgia itch to check out OSRS... every now and then I still get the urge to go back and play RuneScape and it's so incredible to have Old School servers available that bring me back to a time in life where everything was much simpler.

OSRS is free-to-play these days as well, which is awesome. The mobile update should be incredible and I look forward to seeing how it all pans out.

Say what you will about RuneScape, but that game actually taught me real-life skills like mathematics, economics, and online safety. It taught me not to trust people lightly, and it taught me how rewarding hard work can be. I suppose it could have been any MMO that taught me those things, but I will always remember RuneScape for those reasons.

I think to this day it's still very popular. I don't know if it still has 100k+ concurrent players daily, but I haven't played it for a long time.
Looking at the world list I would say there's an average of around 50k concurrent players daily at least on OSRS. And this mobile announcement should breath some new life into the game whether from old or new players.

EMT0

Banned
Never visit the official osrs (runescape 2007 reddit) reddit tho place is pure cancer full of racistic and homophobic pieces of shit and dumb memes currently one named #gayretards is goin on.

They even had a stance against an lbgt event when a rainbow colored scarf was added to the game (rioting/protesting in game too with crazy racistic and homophobic comments). So while osrs is a great game it has a pretty dark side too so if any of you peeps try it out the game on mobile avoid peeps such as those, there are luckily also awesome peeps playin the game who are helpfull or are just nice/friendly. So don't let that ruin it i just wanted to warn in advance.

Runescapes 3's community is fine altho a bit whiny sometimes. But i can understand why sometimes. Also a great game to be honest and nice community too, again just avoid the bad apples.

Yuuuuup. OSRS is a cesspit

I mean thats the point I'm making. You are talking about 100k people, WoW has at least 50x that. You could never justify the cost it would take to maintain Vanilla AND the Live servers.

WoW really has 5 million people online at once? Because the 100k RS players is what you see online at one time, not the entire playerbase.

Clauss

This is ultimate hype. I remember when I scored my 1st gen iPod touch (later smartphone) thinking how rad it would be to farm xp on the go. Hopefully Jagex didn't miss the boat on this? I haven't had a regular membership for the last year two years or so, so I'm not sure where the player base is at. I just feel like this may have exploded a little bigger if they would have jumped in before games like Albion Online and some of the chintzier mobile only MMOs. Do kids still want to chop wood and kill goblins?

Linkark07

Banned
Say what you will about RuneScape, but that game actually taught me real-life skills like mathematics, economics, and online safety. It taught me not to trust people lightly, and it taught me how rewarding hard work can be. I suppose it could have been any MMO that taught me those things, but I will always remember RuneScape for those reasons.

Oh yes, that reminded me when I was desperate to be a member, and a "friend" said to me he will make me one. Next day when I try to login I noticed he changed my password and tried to steal my account. Luckily, Jagex had a period of 4 days before secret answers were changed.

After that, I have never given any password to anyone else, regardless if it is best friend or family.

The outrage over the LGBT event was pathetic and embarrassing.
Nobody had any issues over Christmas and Easter events, but when it comes to a short even promoting LGBT we have to "Keep politics out of video games!"

Top Bottom