• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak & Daxter series (best ND game series) can succeed if they return to form. Analysis of the Jak series and what a new game could bring.

So, "to be fair, the mission is not terrible mission design because you can cheese it"? I still maintain this is terrible design that should never have been allowed to stay in the game.

To be fair, you're supposed to know ahead of time to upgrade your gun so you can clear them out and take out those drop ships, but the game doesn't make that a priority until after the mission. They assumed you would have already done so by that point.

Not the best decision but it wasn't something that was just poorly designed without checking and thrown in like you believe, it's just they forgot to tell the player what to do, or guide the player in the direction of upgrading their weapons before that mission opens up.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
To be fair, you're supposed to know ahead of time to upgrade your gun so you can clear them out and take out those drop ships, but the game doesn't make that a priority until after the mission. They assumed you would have already done so by that point.

Not the best decision but it wasn't something that was just poorly designed without checking and thrown in like you believe, it's just they forgot to tell the player what to do, or guide the player in the direction of upgrading their weapons before that mission opens up.
It's not primarily an issue of upgrading weapons, the problem is that there are way too many projectiles flying around randomly and then on top of that, when you die, you retain the ammo-situation from before your death.

It's not primarily an issue of upgrading weapons, the problem is that there are way too many projectiles flying around randomly and then on top of that, when you die, you retain the ammo-situation from before your death.

Yes, because half the enemies don't appear if you destroy the drop ships, and iirc upgrading increases the ammo count as well.

I never said it was a well designed level but that seems to be what you want to believe. All I'm saying is the mission is much easier if the weapons are upgraded, there are videos of people only having minor trouble doing so. But I never said the mission was great.

Yoshi

Yes, because half the enemies don't appear if you destroy the drop ships, and iirc upgrading increases the ammo count as well.

I never said it was a well designed level but that seems to be what you want to believe. All I'm saying is the mission is much easier if the weapons are upgraded, there are videos of people only having minor trouble doing so. But I never said the mission was great.
My point was that it is terrible game design.

Enjay

Banned
Naughty Dog's talent just isn't there anymore (to make a platformer). They all wanna make movies now. Weren't they working on a dark edgy Jak and Daxter and eventually it became The Last of Us? Just imagine a jak and daxter like that.

Yoshi

Naughty Dog's talent just isn't there anymore (to make a platformer). They all wanna make movies now. Weren't they working on a dark edgy Jak and Daxter and eventually it became The Last of Us? Just imagine a jak and daxter like that.
They worked on "realistic" Jak, but I think it was just cancelled before they started work on Last. Edgy Jak already exists in Jak II and Jak 3 though ;).

But who is going to the be developer? Naughty Dog has long abandoned the cartoon/platformer genre, and Sony has been closing studios if a long running I.P isn't doing so hot (i.e Wipeout & Sony Liverpool).

It's kinda hard to bring back a franchise if the original developers don't want to do it.

At least with Ratchet & Clank, Insomniac aren't worried about being versatile and doing new things.
Now that Insomniac is a first party studio, they could do it if they wanted to, as they're split up into different teams.

Top Bottom