• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron: "I’m in the Avatar business. Period. That’s it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. I hadn't seen this little nugget before. From a couple weeks back.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04...-cool-about-the-avatar-sequels-and-spin-offs/
James Cameron: Laeta Kalogridis collaborated with me on a few scenes in the first Avatar, but she never really wrote drafts. I wrote the story, I wrote the first draft, she came in to help me solve a couple of narrative problems that I was having. I was having some problems just getting the story kickstarted and she had some good ideas. She wrote a line or two here or there, but it was pretty much a solo effort. I’m writing the sequels by myself.

But we’re good collaborators. She had written the Battle Angel script and we work really well together. If I go shoot Battle Angel I’ll be shooting the script she wrote.

For those not in the know. Kalogridis also wrote Shutter Island. If Cameron really didn't write the script (though I'm pretty sure he wrote the first draft and Kalogridis has done the second draft), it would be the first time Cameron shoots a film that isn't written by himself.

Tobor

If you actually read Cameron's original treatment, it looks like she just helped him streamline a lot of the film. You really need to read that original scriptment Tobor. So much you don't know that you're missing.

Maybe. I'm just not a fan of the basic plot, so I'm not sure what it would fix for me.

I will promise you I'll be open minded about the sequel.

Maybe. I'm just not a fan of the basic plot, so I'm not sure what it would fix for me.

I will promise you I'll be open minded about the sequel.

The story isn't as straightforward. There is a ridiculous amount that is cut out. Avatar handlers committing suicide, entire other characters and conflicts cut out. The main thing is that there isn't such a stark black and white depiction of who's good and evil.

MYE

Thats what happens when you have an ego the size of a small pla

tumblr_lbqtgcWpFF1qcm31qo1_500.jpg

... Hmmmm

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Believe it or not, at the time the way SW told its story was pretty unique and revolutionary. You seem to lack context of cinematic history in your overblown defense of a soulless movie.

And don't act like there wasn't room for sequels in SW. Yes, the Death Star blew up, but Luke still had to become a proper Jedi, the Empire still needed to fall, and the mystery about Luke's father wasn't completely resolved. Avatar in comparison feels like a dead end.

And Avatar wasn't unique? People were amazed when they saw that in the theaters. The hatred on forums such as this became pretty common once it became a huge success but that wasn't my experience from the reactions of the people leaving the theater or from my friends and family. The reaction to Star Wars was very similar to the reaction to Avatar, amazing effects for the time and world you really wanted to visit.

And please, talk about lacking historical context, there was no mystery about Luke's father after the first movie. NO ONE was going into Empire waiting to find out more info about what happened to Luke's father, that's why the Darth Vader reveal had so much impact, it came out of nowhere.

There are plenty of places that Avatar can go story wise. It doesn't have the galactic scope that Star Wars has but that doesn't mean there are no more stories to tell.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I just wish there was a "we're totally sorry about oppression, guys" movie that wasn't based around a white guy being better than the natives at everything they do.

Yup, it's just that easy. Everyone is doing it and making billions!
Not everyone has schulii in team. Avatar is like a wii. Everyone wanted to see what it is about. What is the future of cinema. Unlike wii which I love I did not enjoy avatar that much.

I just wish there was a "we're totally sorry about oppression, guys" movie that wasn't based around a white guy being better than the natives at everything they do.

Are you talking about john carter?

Dead Man

Avatar was a terrible movie but the universe is certainly not a dead end. On Pandora alone you could have films focusing on the underground parts of the world, different climates/biomes, the oceans. To say nothing of the other moons mentioned in the lore material. I have no problem believing Cameron can come up with more stories to tell in the Avatar universe. I just hope they're told with more flair and creativity now that the tech is more or less locked down and he can focus on the script more in the sequels.

Yes, it will be a very pretty documentary...

Would have been much more interested in a Battle Angel Alita movie than another Avatar...mainly because the world is far more interesting stylistically...

Avatar was a decent movie, and I'll probably watch the sequels until they become sub-par...but really tread no new ground thematically, stylistically, and in terms of narrative...frankly I wish people were producing much better sci fi stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom