• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Comey answering questions at Capitol Hill today about Trump/Russia

NandoGip

Quick summary (I might be missing a few details, please feel free to correct me)

1) FBI took out a botnet, captured a russian hacker on his trip to barcelona
2) Comey denied being a leaker or authorizing leaks
3) Information he has on leaks is classified
4) Mentioned that they haven't been able to beat phone encryption about 50% of the time
5) Said his hand was forced to reveal reopening Clinton emails to Republican congress

As of this post they're discussing his stance on surveillance and encryption

RCSI

Again, expect less Russia/Trump investigation and more a job performance review, with Comey selling the importance of the tools the intelligence community uses for work.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Comey has cleared Clinton twice in this hearing. I expect Grassley will be the last smeary attempt to throw shade on her. Yes I feel confident in this.

I also got the distinct feeling from comey that the "Loretta Lynch free pass" email doesn't exist. At least not in the way chaffetz dreamed about.

No he didnt conceal it, nobody knew about it. Hes not concealing the thousands of investigations being conducted right now. Everyone knew about the Clinton probe because it was already publically closed and Clinton claimed innocent

His point was that people's faith in the FBI would be completely eroded if there was something in the emails and they didn't inform Congress about it and then Clinton won.

Now it looks like there may be something in the Trump investigation that started well before the election and yet he said nothing about it. How does this not also erode faith in the FBI? The candidate who won and is actively being investigated is himself blatantly shitting on the FBI. Comey fucked up big time.

NandoGip

His point was that people's faith in the FBI would be completely eroded if there was something in the emails and they didn't inform Congress about it and then Clinton won.

Now it looks like there may be something in the Trump investigation that started well before the election and yet he said nothing about it. How does this not also erode faith in the FBI? The candidate who won and is actively being investigated is himself blatantly shitting on the FBI. Comey fucked up big time.

He's making excuses as we speak right now

JayB1920

No he didnt conceal it, nobody knew about it. Hes not concealing the thousands of investigations being conducted right now. Everyone knew about the Clinton probe because it was already publically closed and Clinton claimed innocent

Except he was a candidate for President of the United States just like Clinton was which was his reason for mentioning the new emails in the first place. If he wanted people to be aware of possible charges on Clinton after being elected why not for Trump? Im not talking about a random investigation here. Also people were somewhat aware of Russia stuff during that time as well.

Ugh, I actually wanted to hear Comey's response. Leahy(?) just wants to run through his list instead of listening to the actual answers of the questions he's asking.

Kyzer

Banned

No, Congress's faith in the FBI would be eroded if they found out that the Director came out and said Hillary Clinton was innocent and the case was closed and it turns out that the case was actually reopened and he didn't say anything. It had nothing to do with there being something in the emails or not, he said he couldn't even consider the potential impact to the election because he absolutely would not conceal that information after having publically closed the case. Also, it had nothing to do with "the people", he went to congress to notify them because he had just given them a sworn testimony. It was about being a professional investigation bureau. The Trump investigation was only a couple months in and its normal for them to not say anything about these things. If you're asking "How come Trump didn't get the same treatment" its because they were totally different cases, different investigations, at completely different phases of investigation, and one was already a public matter and the other wasn't. Its not about treating two people the same because theyre both presidential candidates, its about FBI operating procedure.

Except he was a candidate for President of the United States just like Clinton was which was his reason for mentioning the new emails in the first place. If he wanted people to be aware of possible charges on Clinton after being elected why not for Trump? Im not talking about a random investigation here. Also people were somewhat aware of Russia stuff during that time as well.

No, it wasn't. The investigation was over and he announced it publicly and that Hillary was innocent based on their findings, and that was based on intense public interest. Announcing that Trump is also investigation but that they dont know what to think of it yet and just wanted to let everyone know, is a totally different scenario. Trump and Hillary both running for president doesn't make both of their investigations the same exact thing.

Boke1879

Cornyn with the Clinton burn haha.

She continues to blame everyone except herself.

She took full responsibility yesterday.

Also it is a fact Wikileaks and Comeys letter did have an impact on the election. Nothing about those two statements contradict each other

No, Congress's faith in the FBI would be eroded if they found out that the Director came out and said Hillary Clinton was innocent and the case was closed and it turns out that the case was actually reopened and he didn't say anything. It had nothing to do with there being something in the emails or not, he said he couldn't even consider the potential impact to the election because he absolutely would not conceal that information after having publically closed the case. Also, it had nothing to do with "the people", he went to congress to notify them because he had just given them a sworn testimony. It was about being a professional investigation bureau. The Trump investigation was only a couple months in and its normal for them to not say anything about these things. If you're asking "How come Trump didn't get the same treatment" its because they were totally different cases, different investigations, at completely different phases of investigation, and one was already a public matter and the other wasn't. Its not about treating two people the same because theyre both presidential candidates, its about FBI operating procedure.

It was never closed, and it was never reopened. Christ man, this misinformation is still being spread

Stinkles

Cornyn with the Clinton burn haha.

She continues to blame everyone except herself.

That's literally the opposite of what she did in her speech yesterday which was also a response to a direct question not just rambling.

So you should listen to the whole thing and edit your response. I'm sure that will happen.

Kyzer

Banned
It was never closed, and it was never reopened. Christ man, this misinformation is still being spread

What are you even talking about? It was over, the FBI recommended no charges. They got Wiener's emails which had access to thousands of emails from a different domain for Hillary, and they reopened it because it might have information pertaining to her intent. Comey JUST went over this.

JayB1920

No, it wasn't. The investigation was over and he announced it publicly and that Hillary was innocent based on their findings, and that was based on intense public interest. Announcing that Trump is also investigation but that they dont know what to think of it yet and just wanted to let everyone know, is a totally different scenario. Trump and Hillary both running for president doesn't make both of their investigations the same exact thing.

Except they didnt know anything about the new emails or what to think yet when they mentioned Hillary emails again. They said they may or may not pertain to the previous investigation. So it more or less sounded like a were just letting you know were investigating new emails.

What are you even talking about? It was over, the FBI recommended no charges. They got Wiener's emails which had access to thousands of emails from a different domain for Hillary, and they reopened it because it might have information pertaining to her intent. Comey JUST went over this.

The case was never officially closed until after the election was over. Several news outlets announced it as being 'reopened,' but it was not officially closed to begin with.

That's literally the opposite of what she did in her speech yesterday which was also a response to a direct question not just rambling.

So you should listen to the whole thing and edit your response. I'm sure that will happen.
Already edited. And I didn't see the entire speech, so that was my error. Only saw the stuff she said about Comey and the email investigation, via the article I had read.

But anyway. Not to continue any derailing.

Kyzer

Banned
Except they didnt know anything about the new emails or what to think yet when they mentioned Hillary emails again as well.

He notified congress that despite his sworn testimony under oath that there were new emails and they were investigating, and would let them know if the testimony had to change. Are you even paying attention to his reasoning and trying at all to see it from a reasonable point of view or are you just going for the throat at every statement he makes to find out how its a lie and hes a secret Trump supporter? Do you not see how going in front of the country and swearing that Hillary should not be prosecuted and that the FBI did a thorough investigation and then finding out that theres more to investigate is different than just completely announcing Trumps investigation despite having no information to share?

The case was never officially closed until after the election was over. Several news outlets announced it as being 'reopened,' but it was not officially closed to begin with.

The FBI announced no charges. Maybe they still had some paperwork to do but you're clearly talking about a technicality. It was essentially over.

BigDug13

Clinton tried to go after Trump on the Russia stuff. Shit had no teeth because nobody announced an investigation, while Trump's team kept talking about her emails which had teeth because of the investigations.

JayB1920

He notified congress that despite his sworn testimony under oath that there were new emails and they were investigating, and would let them know if the testimony had to change. Are you even paying attention to his reasoning and trying at all to see it from a reasonable point of view or are you just going for the throat at every statement he makes to find out how its a lie and hes a secret Trump supporter? Do you not see how going in front of the country and swearing that Hillary should not be prosecuted and that the FBI did a thorough investigation and then finding out that theres more to investigate is different than just completely announcing Trumps investigation despite having no information to share?

The FBI announced no charges. Maybe they still had some paperwork to do but you're clearly talking about a technicality. It was essentially over.

That is true. Still to me it doesn't seem like something he had to do until they had more information regarding the new emails. I guess a lot of people are upset at Trump being President and understandably so.

Yeah, a 'technicality.'

What sounds worse? More emails found in ongoing investigate, or BREAKING NEWS: E-mail investigation reopened after more e-mails found.

Stinkles

Already edited. And I didn't see the entire speech, so that was my error. Only saw the stuff she said about Comey and the email investigation, via the article I had read.

But anyway. Not to continue any derailing.

Props where they're due and apology for tone but more disingenuous posters have been running that for 24 hours solid.

Props where they're due and apology for tone but more disingenuous posters have been running that for 24 hours solid.
Definitely wasn't my intent. I'm out of town on a business trip this week so my usual access to the latest news has been a bit intermittent the past few days. Catching up today though. 👍

Kyzer

Banned
That is true. Still to me it doesn't seem like something he had to do until they had more information regarding the new emails. I guess a lot of people are upset at Trump being President and understandably so.

Yeah basically. I think it was a really high pressure situation too, I mean. Imagine you went out of your way to do what he did with the press conference and hearing and then finding out they found more emails. The debate must have been intense. Im with you 100% on that last part.

Yeah, a 'technicality.'

What sounds worse? More emails found in ongoing investigate, or BREAKING NEWS: E-mail investigation reopened after more e-mails found.

It doesnt matter idk all I know is I have faith in Comey because everything hes said makes sense to me, and also if anything the craziest thing hes really done was when he came out and cleared Hillarys name (or tried to...) citing public interest. I was really grateful for that

Ithil

Am I supposed to like Graham or is he all talk?

He's one that clearly sees when something is not right, and will talk about it in such a way that you can tell he understands why it's bullshit, but ultimately he never does anything about it, like McCain, which makes him no more help than the most staunch idiot stooge Republican.

Top Bottom