• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan’s anime pilgrimages give economic boost to local towns

Forkball

IwMagSI.jpg

There is a god and its name is ANIME

The popularity of the blockbuster anime film ”Your Name." went beyond movie screens, with fans flocking to the real-world locales depicted in the romantic fantasy.

Gifu Prefecture has seen more tourists since its sites appeared in the movie. The city of Hida attracted more than 1 million visitors in 2016 for the first time at least in three years.

Such sightseeing — walking in the footsteps of fictional characters — is not new. It's called seichi junrei (sacred pilgrimage).

But given the immense popularity of Japanese anime overseas, Japan wants to further promote this type of tourism to international visitors.

The following are some questions and answers about anime tourism:

When did the trend first start?

Avid anime fans had been retracing the steps of their favorite characters since the 1990s, according to Takeshi Okamoto, an associate professor at Nara Prefectural University who researches anime tourism.

Fans of the ”Sailor Moon" series, which first aired on TV in 1992, would visit a shrine in Tokyo featured prominently in the program.

The activity was still low-key back then, he said, only to heat up with the widespread use of the internet in the mid-2000s.

”Before that, all fans did was visit and take pictures. But the internet allowed them to share their experience and give other fans information about where to find these locations," said Okamoto.

Now a simple online search yields details on the real-life places behind the anime.

Why does anime depict actual locations?

Since the late 1990s, producers have increasingly been creating stories with real-life settings to depict the lives of ordinary people, said Okamoto

The 1970s and 1980s saw a rise in the popularity of science fiction titles, especially stories that take place in space, such as ”Space Battle Ship Yamato" and ”Mobile Suit Gundam."

Many recent anime programs still incorporate sci-fi elements but tend to take place in worlds that closely resemble our own.

”Current anime needs intricately detailed backgrounds" that looks realistic, said Okamoto, noting that animators who specialize in background images told him it is quite difficult to design such scenes from scratch. Thus it is easier to use the real locales as models.

The production process has also moved away from traditional animation methods and background images are now typically traced from digital photos in an effort to lower production costs, said Okamoto.

Therefore, many anime scenes parallel real-world sites.

How will Japan promote anime tourism to international visitors?

”Anime tourism has become more common within Japan, so we think our mission is to expand it to overseas," said Fumiyuki Kakizawa, who is in charge of public relations at the Anime Tourism Association.

The association was established last September by various firms, including anime distributor Kadokawa Corp., travel agency JTB Corp. and Japan Airlines.

The group designated more than 80 cities, towns and wards as destinations in what is being dubbed the ”Anime Tourism 88-Stop Pilgrimage" in August.

The venues were chosen based on votes from about 50,000 anime fans.

The association offers the list of spots in various foreign languages and plans to post a map on its website.

Okamoto said some anime-linked locales are in rural areas and are hard for inbound tourists to find, so ”I think it is a good thing that the association is making it easier to access them."

The Anime Tourism Association also collaborates with municipalities whose sites appear in programs.

How much of an impact could anime tourism have on towns and cities?

Anime tourism could provide a huge windfall for areas that would otherwise see few visitors.

The city of Kuki in Saitama Prefecture is often touted as a success story, well known within anime circles because of ”Lucky Star," a series that aired in 2007.

Featuring the everyday life of local high school girls, the show highlights an area in Kuki formerly known as the town of Washimiya.

While several locations appear in the anime, the local Washinomiya Shrine became especially popular. Before ”Lucky Star" premiered, the shrine saw about 90,000 visitors for the New Year season, compared with around 300,000 in 2008.

Shinji Matsumoto, an official at the Kuki chamber of commerce, said it was shortly after the first broadcast of the anime program that local residents began to notice out-of-town visitors roaming about the sleepy community.

”It was really surprising to see young people strolling around on weekdays," said Matsumoto.

In 2007, anime tourism was still a little known phenomenon in the country, but local residents soon wanted to provide something for ”Lucky Star" fans other than just sightseeing, especially as many probably come from far away, he said.

It takes more than an hour to get to Kuki from central Tokyo.

So the chamber of commerce contacted Kadokawa, which was the publisher of ”Lucky Star," to see if it could hold events and sell original goods at local stores.

Matsumoto said Kadokawa was happy to cooperate. The town created 1,000 ”Lucky Star" themed straps for cellphones in December 2007 that sold out in just 30 minutes.

”Also on that day, we had an event featuring a voice actor from the anime, and people had already started lining up the night before ... we never had that kind of experience, so it was really mind-blowing," he said.

This year marks the 10th anniversary of the series' premiere broadcast. Matsumoto said the number of visitors on regular days has declined, but many fans still attend seasonal events, such as the birthdays of the characters.

Since the country plans to promote anime tourism, more towns are expected to partner with anime programs.

Matsumoto said his city was lucky to have been featured in a popular show, but he was in no position to give advice to other towns. He said, however, that the key is to respect the fans.

”I believe it's not about pushing what the local areas want. We should always consider the fans' perspectives," Matsumoto said.

Anime tourism website

Here is the 88 stop pilgrimage planned for next year (PDF warning)

Aizo

Banned
Must be interesting to native citizens of small rural towns to suddenly see people starting to visit random locations around them.

Darksol

Coincidentally, I went to the famous staircase at the end of 君の名は two days ago. At the top is Suga shrine -- many of the ema tablets have people's drawings of the main characters.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I went to Hakone because of Evangelion, it's a beautiful place to visit, and I'll be visiting it again next year. I'm glad to see real life locations get benefits from use in media.

mdubs

Banned
Can confirm that Suga shrine was busy on a random Friday at noon. Wonder what the person who owns the house beside the steps thinks

You'd think this would occur more... artificially than it does now. That tourism money would be appealing to any podunk Japanese town. Just fund a popular anime to have at least one episode take place in your town. Make it a fancy summer trip episode with the obligatory hot spring or Beach scene.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
One day I wish to visit the great pantsu farms of Japan.

DiGiKerot

All I'm getting from this is how Lucky Star has some 10 year long massive following.

They still make figures and everything, it's kind of insane. Like, they released a set of KanColle crossover figures for crane machines just last year, as I recall.

As for the main gist of the article, Yeah - even I personally know folks who have gone to Oorai (Girls und Panzer) or Sendai (WUG) for anime-tourism related reasons, and that's just the stuff I know about because it was actually out of the way. I gather the park from Garden of Words was a thing for a while as well.

You'd think this would occur more... artificially than it does now. That tourism money would be appealing to any podunk Japanese town. Just fund a popular anime to have at least one episode take place in your town. Make it a fancy summer trip episode with the obligatory hot spring or Beach scene.

It's been tried - note how every episode of Rinne no Lagrange has Kamogawa mentioned in its title, I'm pretty sure there was a recent Tenchi spin-off which was doing exactly what you suggested, and WUGs locations were all pretty intentional - but the main issue is that it's real hard to predict what will actually end up being popular.

Can confirm since... uh... I've been to lots of places, including places shown in Lucky Star, Haruhi, K-On, Sound! Euphonium, Your Name, 5cm per Second, Garden of Words, Wolf Children, Flying Witch, Your Lie in April, Girls und Panzer, Steins;Gate and more :p

http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/

The venues were chosen based on votes from about 50,000 anime fans.

That's not 100% true since they also had to get the rights holders to agree for stuff to be put on the list. A bunch of Kyoto Animation and any kind of Ghibli stuff are missing because of that.

kamakazi5

Never heard of this show but I just watched the first 5 minutes of the first episode on YouTube and it's hilarious.

Edit: Referring to Lucky Star

Whenever I go to Hakone, there is always a corner reserved for Evangelion-themed goods in most of the souvenir shops.

I didn't even realize that Eva was set in Hakone until then.

KarasuEXE

Too bad we can't visit Morioh in real life.

Well, it's based on Araki's hometown, Sendai, so...

EDIT: From Jojo Wikia:

The town is actually based on Hirohiko Araki's hometown, Sendai. He states that Sendai was an old historical town, but began residential construction in the 80s, causing new houses to be built everywhere. Intimidated by the rapid increase in strangers, Araki used this experience for the basis of the setting in Part 4. However, Araki felt using the real name of the city in his manga may anger people, so he changed the name to Morioh. Morioh is instead a town within S City in M Prefecture, still referencing the real life city of Sendai in Miyagi Prefecture.

kapowza

I was devastated to find out that Hidimari apartments isn't based on a real location. No point going to japan now...

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Absolutely kimoi.

And please pilgrims stop crowding the intersection at 鎌倉高校前駅 taking photos for 15 minutes. No one on your instagram cares you went to the train station that's in the Slam Dunk opening!!!!

Nia

When I finally go to Japan this is one of the things I'm going to do. For one I want to go to Izu and Scuba Dive because of Amanchu. I was in the middle of getting my certification as the show was airing.

I gather the park from Garden of Words was a thing for a while as well.

It's been tried - note how every episode of Rinne no Lagrange has Kamogawa mentioned in its title, I'm pretty sure there was a recent Tenchi spin-off which was doing exactly what you suggested, and WUGs locations were all pretty intentional - but the main issue is that it's real hard to predict what will actually end up being popular.

When we went to take pics at the Garden of Words park back in 2015 there were other people there taking pics of the pavilion as well.

Some locations/store names/local tourism associations are listed in the credits of the shows sometimes.

This thread makes MikeHattsu happy.

Hey!

Aizo

Banned
Absolutely kimoi.

And please pilgrims stop crowding the intersection at 鎌倉高校前駅 taking photos for 15 minutes. No one on your instagram cares you went to the train station that's in the Slam Dunk opening!!!!
My friend from Kamakura says people always go to the beach from the OP to take pics. I read the manga, so I had no idea what she was talking about.
One day I wish to visit the great pantsu farms of Japan.
My other friend is a security guard there, and she'll kick your ass if you try to enter.
No gaijin allowed.

Phu

Banned
All I'm getting from this is that Lucky Star aired 10 years ago.

And now I feel incredibly old.

Fuck, now I'm feeling old about everything. You're avatar's from something 10+ years old, my avatar is from something 10+ years old.

Aizo

Banned
Fuck, now I'm feeling old about everything. You're avatar's from something 10+ years old, my avatar is from something 10+ years old.
My avatar is a dog that's still alive, so I feel very young and beautiful.

oni_saru

I remember reading about Mirage of Blaze fans visiting all the locations mentioned in the novels. I thought that was pretty neat!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I mean, honestly this isn't just Japan.

Bridges of Madison county still has people visiting to see the bridges.

I think any semi-popular movie worldwide that casts an idealistic situation (as in Your Name, where the small town is filled with likable characters, with fun festivals, slower pace of life than Urban centers, etc) that are beautiful is going to have people wanting to go see it in real life and try and experience some of that.

I want to visit Shibuya just because of Digimon.

I want to visit the Pacific Northwest in USA because of Twin Peaks and Alan Wake.

I want to visit Iceland because of Interstellar and Prometheus.

Considering that Northern Ireland is milking the hell out of the fact that large chunks of Game of Thrones is filmed there, I can totally understand this.

Seiryoden

Many years ago I tracked down some locations from my favourite J-Dramas. To my surprise this site is still going (it still looks like it did 15 plus years ago). It's updated every season and is absurdly comprehensive - a great resource if you want to find a shooting location.

Top Bottom