• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Ayumi

Ah damn, I would've loved to come, but going to a beach camp festival.

Next time!
Enjoy your festival, I hope you can join us next time!

Looks like another pricey night. Lol

Met up with some friends from Waseda last night. 4000 yen Nomihoudai in Shinjuku. Then we all thought it would be a good idea to head to an Irish Pub, where if you want a pint of Guinness, be prepared to pay 1000 yen. (泣)
It's not really that pricey since food is included. If you drink at least 5 drinks, it suddenly becomes very reasonable!

Desmond

Enjoy your festival, I hope you can join us next time!

It's not really that pricey since food is included. If you drink at least 5 drinks, it suddenly becomes very reasonable!
Ah, forgot about the food. (-_^)

Hmm, on that map, which station would be best? Just the Akasaka one, 浅草駅?

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Hey JapanGaf, thought I'd check in.

I've been here for just over a year so far and work at a couple of junior high schools just outside Nagoya.

Anyone in the area?

Ayumi

Ah, forgot about the food. (-_^)

Hmm, on that map, which station would be best? Just the Akasaka one, 浅草駅?
All those stations are pretty close to each other, so it would depend on where you're coming from and what train line is the most convenient for you. It takes about 5-6 minutes to walk from Akasaka Mitsuke Station to the place we're meeting at.

Jijidasu

Hey JapanGaf, thought I'd check in.

I've been here for just over a year so far and work at a couple of junior high schools just outside Nagoya.

Anyone in the area?

I live and work in Nagoya, too.

I'm working at a private junior/senior high school in Showa ku.

P.S. This rain needs to stop.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Japan OT: So many CC's of Lemon
Japan OT: Circa 1995
Japan OT: Chotto motto Hotto Motto
Japan OT: We need more burritos

midramble

Then come to Osaka. One of the best* Mexican food restaurants in Japan is here!

*that I have tried...

Gotta try it out. Some friends told me about a pretty nice place in kokubunji as well.

Actually one of my long standing dreams to open an Americana restaurant in Tokyo. Selling US and Mexican food. (obviously incorporating 100 yen slices of pizza, NYC style)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Gotta try it out. Some friends told me about a pretty nice place in kokubunji as well.

Actually one of my long standing dreams to open an Americana restaurant in Tokyo. Selling US and Mexican food. (obviously incorporating 100 yen slices of pizza, NYC style)

Would patron.

Slice in shibuya is kind of new and apparently the pizza is good but around 250 or 300 ¥

Aizo

Banned
Japan OT: We get complimented when using chopsticks
So true... Even weirder is when you answer a question with one word, and they're all like 上手いですね!
What made you interested in Japan?
Hmm well, I've liked anime and Japanese games and stuff since I was a kid, but I never actually cared about coming to Japan, until I got into an idol.
Ummm. What does that mean??
Sounds lewd.

Where in Kokubunji?? I just moved there this week!

midramble

Would patron.

Slice in shibuya is kind of new and apparently the pizza is good but around 250 or 300 ¥

Yeah, I always find it kinda hard to get good cheap food in shibuya and roppongi (actually try to avoid roppongi as much as I can). Though there was this pretty awesome udon shop underground across the street from hachiko. Used to frequent it pretty often until I found all the good places in asakusa.

I want to try some experiments with akamiso in my pizza sauce. Can only buy shiro around here at the moment though :/

Where in Kokubunji?? I just moved there this week!

Sorry, got them mixed up. Kichijoji. (Girlfriend lived and worked in kokubunji and we often met up in kichijoji for food and expensive movies) If I remember right its among the alley way shops a few blocks north of Kichijoji station. Near a Starbucks, Doutor, and Choco Cro (I know that doesn't help much hahaha). If I remember right it's just called メキシコ料理. (mexican cooking).

hitsugi

Let me know when you want to branch out and open a Western style breakfast joint. I remember having steamed bacon somewhere in Kyoto one morning.. steamed bacon.

The current alternative is waiting in 1-2 hour line and spending 2000 yen for pancakes at Bill's or Slappy Cakes... neither of which are Japanese in origin, anyway.

midramble

Let me know when you want to branch out and open a Western style breakfast joint. I remember having steamed bacon somewhere in Kyoto one morning.. steamed bacon.

The current alternative is waiting in 1-2 hour line and spending 2000 yen for pancakes at Bill's or Slappy Cakes... neither of which are Japanese in origin, anyway.

Hahahaha that's awesome and sad. When my SO was over here she had american bacon ever single morning. She really couldn't get enough of it. All of my Tokyo friends are down for the idea. The khaosan hostel chain owner has even considered funding it in asakusa haha.

I had plans to start it up this year until my SO got an opportunity for a full ride masters program scholarship in San Francisco. So the dream is going to have to wait at least a year.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Hire me pls.

Actually my dream is to go out into the country and work on a farm. Very tempting.

midramble

Hire me pls.

Actually my dream is to go out into the country and work on a farm. Very tempting.

Very funny that you mention that because the other half of the dream is my SO wants to do that. We've found a good amount of older homes out in the country (specifically outside hiroshima and some right outside Tokyo) that are going for 1,000,000-25,000,000 yen (roughly $10k-$25k) We both want to get a small apartment in asakusa and buy a larger house in the country side for farming. We'd host homestays for farm workers so we wouldn't have to worry about it being unattended for too long and use a lot of the product at the restaurant.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
For burritos there is always

1. Junkadelic in Nakameguro
2. Frijoles in Roppongi, Azabujuuban and Otemachi

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Very funny that you mention that because the other half of the dream is my SO wants to do that. We've found a good amount of older homes out in the country (specifically outside hiroshima and some right outside Tokyo) that are going for 1,000,000-25,000,000 yen (roughly $10k-$25k) We both want to get a small apartment in asakusa and buy a larger house in the country side for farming. We'd host homestays for farm workers so we wouldn't have to worry about it being unattended for too long and use a lot of the product at the restaurant.

Lemme work on your farm and make produce for your restaurant please ;_;

Want a wasabi farm just for the scenery but anything will do.

Then come to Osaka. One of the best* Mexican food restaurants in Japan is here!

*that I have tried...
I bet you're talking about El Pancho :). A little pricey but worth it. To anyone going for the first time, don't let your eyes be bigger than your stomach since the portions are pretty big!

There's a Mexican restaurant in Odaiba called La Salsa. The food itself is alright (it's no El Pancho but good for Japan) but the view from the veranda is beautiful and worth it.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Updating info.

Hello,

GAF official meet up unless is canceled by any circumstance:

When:

September 6th (Saturday) 7:00 PM

Where:

わらやき屋 赤坂 (Warakiya Akasaka)

Address

Continental Akasaka V, 3-12-3, Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 107-0052

Map

00000099.png

* The arrow is the start 赤坂見附駅 (Akasaka-Mitsuke Station)

Access

Subway Chiyoda Line Akasaka Station Exit 1 1-minute walk
Subway Marunouchi Line Akasaka-Mitsuke Station 4-minute walk
Subway Nanboku Line Tameike-Sanno Station 5-minute walk

Who:

• Ayumi
  • Desmond
  • CHusson91
  • Mercurio
  • AlabastreAizo
  • Geobobfrank
  • m3r4
  • BombStrike
  • ElectricKaibutsu + wife
  • MightyKAC
  • Evilore
  • Gromph
  • Jijidasu picture.

I will be able to meet people in the station and walk with they to the Izakaya.

If you need my phone please PM me and will give it for contact.

I will make a second meet up for people who can't come on Weekends.

In case someone wants the information in English:

Place name:
わらやき屋 赤坂
WaraYakiya Akasaka

Date:
Saturday, September 6th, 19:00 to 21:00

Course:
アラカルト
A la carte

Phone number:
03-3568-1340

Address:
Minato-ku, 3-12-3 Akasaka Continental V

Could you include a bit more information? For instance, how much each person needs to bring in cash (I can picture a lot of people just bringing their card, or 1man). I'd also like to know which A la carte you have chosen. And I think there's a 2 hours nomikai included in the menu?

I didn't chose any preset menu.

Mik2121

I bet you're talking about El Pancho :). A little pricey but worth it. To anyone going for the first time, don't let your eyes be bigger than your stomach since the portions are pretty big!

There's a Mexican restaurant in Odaiba called La Salsa. The food itself is alright (it's no El Pancho but good for Japan) but the view from the veranda is beautiful and worth it.

Exactly that one! El Pancho in Shinsaibashi, right next to LoFT. Place is pretty good if, indeed, a bit on the expensive side. Still worth it imo.

matt360

El Pancho in Shinsaibashi is legit. I make it a point to go there every time I go to Osaka. I've been to a couple in Tokyo that were supposed to be really good, but they don't really compare. The enchilada platter is my go-to.

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
Chiming in on the mexican places: FONDA DE LA MADRUGADA was great! Nice atmosphere, excellent food and live music. The staff seemed a bit helpless (broken Japanese/English and I don't speak Spanish), but it was really pleasant evening alltogether. It's a... 10 minute(?) walk from Harajuku station, so if you have the time, check it out!

Ayumi

Chiming in on the mexican places: FONDA DE LA MADRUGADA was great! Nice atmosphere, excellent food and live music. The staff seemed a bit helpless (broken Japanese/English and I don't speak Spanish), but it was really pleasant evening alltogether. It's a... 10 minute(?) walk from Harajuku station, so if you have the time, check it out!

Great place! Was there last year or so, very delicious food!

Great place! Was there last year or so, very delicious food!
Nice, next time I'm in Harajuku I'll check it out :)

Munin

Hey so I am currently living in Taiwan and was wanting to finally check out Japan for a little bit sometime in the Winter. I was mainly wanting to go to Osaka and then somewhere like Hokkaido for snow and nature stuff. I'm planning on skipping Tokyo since it doesn't really...attract me that much, is probably really expensive and I've already seen / lived in huge cities around Asia in the past 5 years so it probably wouldn't be all that impressive to me.

So my questions though would be,

1) How tough is it to get by in Osaka without a word of Japanese? (I may have a friend to help me but in the worst case I have to travel alone)? What about restaurants etc?
2) How is the nightlife in Osaka? Will I get rejected from clubs for being white? Will I be the only white guy in these places and will it be super awkward because I'll look like some desperate yellow fever weeaboo? I just want some good music and drinks and enjoy myself, but if I'll stick out too much or will get stared at then I'd rather not go out altogether during the trip
3) Where should I go in Hokkaido? I wanna do some skiing or snowboarding but as the last time I did these things was when I was 13, I probably have to take lessons. Any place that has English-speaking teachers? How English-friendly is the place overall? Heard that huge swathes of Australians tend to go there yearly...so that gives me hope

JPKellams

Exactly that one! El Pancho in Shinsaibashi, right next to LoFT. Place is pretty good if, indeed, a bit on the expensive side. Still worth it imo.

Loft doesn't exist anymore. It is an H&M now.

Also El Pancho is good. Zocalo Burrito in Yotsubashi has a better burrito though. Also El Pancho's service is HORRENDOUSLY bad.

Finally, my top 2 best napoli pizzas in Japan (and I eat so much pizza that people I don't even know are aware it is referred to as my vitamin P), are without question:

Azzurri - Kobe - This place is so good, that Italian pizziola and the owner/chef's of all the best Italian places in the country have signed the wall proclaiming it amazing. The water in Kobe is amazing, which makes this pizza even more amazing. Lots of amazing here. http://www.azzurri-p.com/

Cesari - Nagoya - The quick service pizza is cheap and amazing. The restaurant is also great. My recommendation is to grab a quick service STG or marinara, go into the bar area and have a stand up cappuccino for lunch. http://www.cesari.jp/

I still haven't been Scugnizzo de Shigeo (http://pizzeria-scugnizzo.com/) here in Osaka, which got a Bib Gourmand from Michelin for their pizza and are currently the highest rated pizza restaurant in Japan, or Sakuragumi (http://www.vera-pizza-sakuragumi.co.jp) in Hyogo, near Himeji, which might have the best view of any good restaurant in the country and are the number 2 rated pizza place in Japan.

1) How tough is it to get by in Osaka without a word of Japanese? (I may have a friend to help me but in the worst case I have to travel alone)? What about restaurants etc?
You won't have any problems. They're used to foreigners. Just speak slowly when ordering or just point to what you want :)
2) How is the nightlife in Osaka? Will I get rejected from clubs for being white? Will I be the only white guy in these places and will it be super awkward because I'll look like some desperate yellow fever weeaboo? I just want some good music and drinks and enjoy myself, but if I'll stick out too much or will get stared at then I'd rather not go out altogether during the trip
No one is going to think you're a weeaboo, lol. White people have to go to clubs too. If you're that worried about it there are clubs where more foreigners hang out, like Sam and Dave's, though I've never been much of a fan of that place. You know, if you ask nicely, JP might be able to give you advice. He's a pretty good DJ and knows his stuff when it comes to Osaka clubs.

Sorry, I don't know much about Hokkaido.

Ayumi

Will I be the only white guy in these places and will it be super awkward because I'll look like some desperate yellow fever weeaboo?

From what I've seen/heard, only fellow gaijin might look at you as a weeaboo. Japanese people don't care. You'll be loved by them, anyone who shows interest in the culture/language/whatever are always interesting to them. At least most of the time. As long as you don't show up in a Naruto headband. =3=

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
At least most of the time. As long as you don't show up in a Naruto headband. =3=

To me, personally, that would fall in the category of "so bad, it's good".

Oh, and there are always other foreigners in clubs. It doesn't even matter where you go. Either it's a well known place where you shouldn't be surprised to also find non-japanese, or it's a niche thing with the token white guy who chose that club as his "insider's tip".

I really wanted to go to Japan for a short 10 day stint, but the air fares from Sydney to Tokyo are kind of ridiculous in late December ($1600 return). Need some kind of crazy sale or we might not be able to go...

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I will be waiting in Akasaka-Mitsuke Exit 11 from 6:40 to 6:55.

For the people who need a guide.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
have a good one tomorrow, maybe next time there's a GAFup i can make it.

Also - Gromph - can you add my pics to the OP please? :D

For Mexican in Tokyo, I recently discovered a Mexican delivery place called Triceratops Tacos.

http://www.ttttt.jp/

I was fairly impressed with their food, and you can't beat having it delivered to your door through online ordering.

Also if you are here in Tokyo just for a little while I really would suggest trying Shabu Shabu and visiting MK in Shinjuku to do so near Shinjuku-sanchome station. It is a Thai style Shabu Shabu place and they are rather english friendly by having a touch screen menu that can be switched to english to order all your meat and veggies. Its roughly 2000 yen for unlimited shabu shabu and dim sum and soft drinks for two hours.You can have more meat then you will ever know what to do with if you like, and various other great things to try all a click away. Try the spicy chige soup and well it is something I love eating at all times Shabu Shabu is one of my absolute favorite things in Japan and it is a really fun thing to try if you haven't.

Oh and about me here in Japan

What made you interested in Japan?
Honestly I remember being in Junior High School and High school after discovering Japanese Rpgs and old school anime such as Cowboy Bebop and feeling so jealous that I couldn't play or watch them as soon as they came out.My high school at that time offered Japanese classes, and I started to take them. Eventually I ended up doing a few exchange programs including one for a year during my High school days to Shizuoka. After graduating I also came back for another year during university, and now I work in Tokyo teaching at Junior High schools

Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?)?
At first I wanted to learn it simply to import video games, I remember importing final fantasy 8 and it was a magical experience playing it months ahead of my friends. Eventually my interests broadened and going to high school for one year dramatically helped my Japanese speaking ability

Are you currently living in Japan?
Yes.

How long have you lived in Japan?
Throughout my life roughly 4 years now.

What is your favorite Hotto Motto meal?
I have never been to Hotto Motto to be honest, I recently found a burger place near my house http://www.bakerbounce.com/ in Sangenjaya in Tokyo that is really good, and even serves root beer.
What is your favorite place in Japan?
I really love visiting Nikko, and I have a special place in my heart for Setagaya ward in Tokyo where i have lived and worked for the last two years as I find the area to be quite comfortable and has a different atmosphere then some of the other areas I feel. Also pokemon is made here.

What is your favorite Japanese food & drink?
Technically it is a chinese food but I love gyoza. Japanese style gyoza is one of my absolute favorite foods followed by karage and sushi.
As for drinks I tend to like the various sours and I am a fan of umeshu. I do like some of the micro brewery beers that have begun to pop up. I like http://bairdbeer.com/en/ quite a bit to be honest for example.

What is your favorite season to be in Japan?
Spring or fall. I still find it amazing and almost magical to see the cherry blossoms bloom and the world outside is this peaceful rainbow of colors and smells(granted I have to take a ton of allergy medicine at that time of the year though) and fall because it is comfortable and I like some of the seasonal foods that can be found at that time.

Where are you from, and which languages do you speak? (conversational and above)
English and Japanese are the two I have full conversational ability with.

What should we call you if we ever met you IRL?
Rob, I rather not go by my weird username that I started using roughly twenty years ago when the internet was new and I was a child in school, but I still use it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
My initial impression upon hitting Tokyo put it at a jarring contrast to Seoul. I was in another Asian megacity, but stripped of the chic, modernity, and straightforward ease of use.

After a full day here, though, I see the charm to it and I'm adjusting to its quirks. Rush hour aside (was fun being at Shibuya and Shinjuku stations during that time frame), Tokyo evokes a relaxed, peaceful state of mind. The politeness often feels genuine. It seems better connected to nature. The food culture seems fantastic. The women aren't all trying to emulate popstars or getting plastic surgery to look identical, and aren't afraid to smile. There's definitely a je ne sais quoi to this place that instantly appeals.

Top Bottom