• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Desmond

I move to Kyoto tomorrow. I'm taking the Shinkansen and have unreserved seat tickets. There is no time given, nor the speed of train. Can I take it anytime tomorrow?

Ayumi

I move to Kyoto tomorrow. I'm taking the Shinkansen and have unreserved seat tickets. There is no time given, nor the speed of train. Can I take it anytime tomorrow?

Yup, any time you want! I think it's valid for 4 days? If you bought a ticket, you can read the date on it.

Since no one replied to this yet, I'll try my best.

I have no experiences with this in Japan, but it wasn't that hard to find something when Googling. There doesn't seem to be much on Google about this though, other than links to actual clinics instead of reviews/experienced. Where in Japan will you move to?

I had to get stuff done after being run over by a car here. You'll probably have to have your doctor transfer your info and get it translated so that the peeps over here can help you or at least get a reexamination (most likely they will just do this part). My experience was really good but you're gonna wanna make sure your Japanese is up to snuff or find an English speaking doc.

I'll be in Osaka, and I don't think my Japanese will be good enough to talk about physio haha. Right, maybe I can get someone to help translate if I don't get an English-speaking physiotherapist. I'll try speaking to the university when I arrive as well, maybe they'll have a clinic nearby that they usually refer students to.

Thanks for your help guys, if I see you while I'm over there I'll buy you a drink.

I'll be in Osaka, and I don't think my Japanese will be good enough to talk about physio haha. Right, maybe I can get someone to help translate if I don't get an English-speaking physiotherapist. I'll try speaking to the university when I arrive as well, maybe they'll have a clinic nearby that they usually refer students to.

Thanks for your help guys, if I see you while I'm over there I'll buy you a drink.
I find there's quite a few English speaking doctors. You can find some lists online. Here's one: http://www.kansaigaidai.ac.jp/asp/p...student_handbook/English_Specking_Doctors.pdf

I just bought my first Steam game in yen. I was worried that they would start charging an arm and a leg, but I was happy to see it seems to just be American prices with the exchange rate factored in. This means games can actually be cheaper! I just got Lili for 396yen when it costs $3.99 in America. Eh, not much cheaper, but every little bit helps!

Give me a tittle and i will do in 0 seconds!
There were a couple ideas earlier. Sorry if I missed anyone's.

Japan OT: So many CC's of Lemon
Japan OT: Circa 1995
Japan OT: Chotto motto Hotto Motto
Japan OT: We need more burritos

Japan OT: We get complimented when using chopsticks

"Japan OT: Not a single goddamn drop of Diet Coke in this whole goddamn country"

Japan GAF OT: I'm not planning a trip, I live here!

Jubern

I actually really dislike izakayas. Well, I like the eating and smoking and the atmosphere and sitting beside random drunk salarymen but my clothes smell too awful after. I need a hazmat suit or less expensive clothes for a izakaya outfit.

Yeah, it's part of the package unfortunately! You gotta be ready to throw everything in the washing machine when you get home...

I've been expecting you!

What a coincidence! I'm actually going there this Saturday for my going away party thing.

Oh really? Tell me what you think about it!

----

I might be able to get away from my ELT job for a faaar better one soon, I really hope this pans out. A lot of people told me it could be hard to get out of that gig find a better job without good connections, and I can definitely see what they meant by that.

JulianImp

How's the room?

Looks good, the bed/futon was comfortable at night (if only a bit stiffer than the matresses I'm used to). The humidity wasn't too kind on me carrying lots of bags while being in poor physical shape, and the sakura house rep probably noticed this as he offered me a cup of water to drink. I had to take a shower as soon as I got to my room before I could do anything else.

I'm still getting adjusted to the twelve-hour difference, but it looks like being a late sleeper helps a bit. Now I'm waiting for FedEx to deliver my JR Pass, so I guess I won't be going out until the delivery arrives just in case I end up missing it.

Also, I actually overshot the Sakura House building since it looks like it's undergoing renovations (so the front is covered by some fabric), but luckily that helped me notice there's a Maruetsu petit supermarket just two blocks away. Not knowing a thing about japanese cuisine yet, I stuck with a good old pack of spaghettis, some tomato sauce, and then onions and some sunflower oil to sautee and add to the sauce. An acuaintance of mine took me to a 100-yen shop yesterday so I could know what kind of things I could get there, and then we ended up having dinner at a sushi bar. I guess next time I'll have to try ramen, udon and other stuff.

By the way, I remember drinking a bittersweet drink that had some kind of cucumber as its base ingredient, but I can't go and purchase it since I don't even know what it's actually supposed to be. Does anyone know?

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
+1 for the chopsticks, definitely something that both foreign residents of Japan and people coming to visit alike can relate to. And it's so edgy!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
People care about chopsticks? Sometimes I get asked if I can use them but there's not much surprise after saying yes.

Buying / eating nattou, on the other hand.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
+1 for the chopsticks, definitely something that both foreign residents of Japan and people coming to visit alike can relate to. And it's so edgy!

I never got any compliment when i use the chopsticks.

Ayumi

I never got any compliment when i use the chopsticks.

Sometimes I do by old people, like obaasan working in her own restaurant, but it's very rarely.

Ironically, I got yelled at once for not using my fork and knife properly. Had never thought of this before, I quickly became aware that I switch around every time I cut stuff, since I can't cut it with my left hand nor eat it with (I eat with my right). I also apparently hold the fork/knife like a kid. Didn't even know there was a proper way with your "index finger on top". ._.

Sometimes I do by old people, like obaasan working in her own restaurant, but it's very rarely.

Ironically, I got yelled at once for not using my fork and knife properly. Had never thought of this before, I quickly became aware that I switch around every time I cut stuff, since I can't cut it with my left hand nor eat it with (I eat with my right). I also apparently hold the fork/knife like a kid. Didn't even know there was a proper way with your "index finger on top". ._.

This happened to me as well...I didn't know I was holding my silverware wrong until my Japanese girlfriend scolded me for it!

Well, the "American" way of using a knife and fork is to hold the fork in your right hand, cut your food with your left hand, then put down the knife and switch the fork to your right hand to eat with. Its not universal in America, but just about everywhere else you keep the fork in the left hand, cut with the right, and just eat with your left.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_utensil_etiquette

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
People care about chopsticks? Sometimes I get asked if I can use them but there's not much surprise after saying yes.

Buying / eating nattou, on the other hand.

People I meet do... from all different kinds of backgrounds, too. I know it's a dumb thing to get worked up about, but more often than not this happens AFTER I tell how long I've been involved in the country, so yeah... when I'm having a bad day I compliment them on their fork and knife skills
and explain to them why I'm so agitated afterwards
. This is one of the few instances where I agree with Arudo Debito (I know, ugh).

Natto and other neba neba things are the devil.

Aizo

Banned
I'd like to make a couple changes to the OP title. Hate to be a stickler, but wouldn't it also be good to use the same |OT| thing that everyone else does?

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip—I live here!

or

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

I'm a big fan of chopsticks. Especially with salad.

btw this conversation kind of reminds me of this stand up routine:

Those were my thoughts exactly. I can't go back to eating salad with a fork. It's just so inefficient!

urfe

People I meet do... from all different kinds of backgrounds, too. I know it's a dumb thing to get worked up about, but more often than not this happens AFTER I tell how long I've been involved in the country, so yeah... when I'm having a bad day I compliment them on their fork and knife skills
and explain to them why I'm so agitated afterwards
. This is one of the few instances where I agree with Arudo Debito (I know, ugh).

Natto and other neba neba things are the devil.

In my experience, it's people trying to start a conversation in an awkward way.

The OT is incorrect English (not your fault, Gromph). Hate to be a stickler, but wouldn't it also be good to use the same |OT| thing that everyone else does?

kgcVCEG.gif

Ayumi

There a festival tonight? Tons of kimono

May be because of Kiku no Sekku ("Chrysanthemum Day"):

Chrysanthemum Day on September 9 is a celebration of the chrysanthemum, Japan's national flower. The tradition started in 910 CE, when the imperial court held its first chrysanthemum show. Various flower shows are held and popular historical scenes are depicted by clay dolls dressed in robes made from chrysanthemum petals.

Those were my thoughts exactly. I can't go back to eating salad with a fork. It's just so inefficient!
I'm glad I'm not alone! When I was visiting the family in America I asked for chopsticks to eat my salad. Yeah, it was weird asking, but screw it, I spent my whole life eating salad with inferior utensils. No more!

Aizo

Banned
There a festival tonight? Tons of kimono
Try to fit in and look super Japanese. Wear as many hakama as you can.
I'm glad I'm not alone! When I was visiting the family in America I asked for chopsticks to eat my salad. Yeah, it was weird asking, but screw it, I spent my whole life eating salad with inferior utensils. No more!

I'll be using 'em back home for salads still. Can't go back. I won't be restricted!

Ayumi

Best part about chopstick is that your other hand is completely free and you can multitask! Pretty great for when you're eating dinner alone (so ronery) and wanna browse on your phone or something. 8)

Aizo

Banned
If only I were ambidextrous. I could eat with two sets of chopsticks—then Japanese people would accept me!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May be because of Kiku no Sekku ("Chrysanthemum Day"):

That probably explains. The whole kimono thing is pretty great, btw.

Climbing Fuji tomorrow. Knee is swollen, but out of time, so yolo. I'll wear a brace.

Ayumi

If only I were ambidextrous. I could eat with two sets of chopsticks—then Japanese people would accept me!

It's actually not that bad. I found is way more easy than writing with my left hand. You should give it a try - you might surprise yourself.

Climbing Fuji tomorrow. Knee is swollen, but out of time, so yolo. I'll wear a brace.

Weren't you just there? :3 I can't even bother to leave my apartment most of the days.. I should start doing more stuff outside.

Take a warm jacket if you are going for the sunrise. It is freezing at the top in the morning.

Sakura

I've been asked if I can use chopsticks, but when I actually do use them, I don't think people even really notice because it's not something they really think about.
I get asked a lot of random questions when I'm working with the middle aged ladies. "Do you like milk?" "Do you like pasta?" "Do you like ramen?" "What about tonkotsu ramen?" "Do you like animals?" and then whenever I answer they always tell the other ladies working too. "He says he likes/doesn't like X!!". It's a little weird.

What do people do about the NHK guy? He came in June but I told him I didn't have a TV.
Someone has come knocking on the door a few times since then, but I never answer it for fear of having to pay money. Can you actually get in trouble?

Welcome to my neck of the woods! I can see the lights on the Fuji trail from my living room window.

May your knee hold well. I did it last year on a non stop run up and down. I couldn't walk right for a few days. Lol

I also hope the weather at the top is good when you get there. It was somewhat clear during the day but this evening is pretty cloudy. But that super moon out tonight is pretty cool.

You guys should include what you're doing here (for work or whatever)( ≖‿≖)
I'm a system engineer working for a japanese company with 100% japanese staff (beside me) and a boss who's dream is to make this country a better place for tomorrows generation. Very, very great guy.

What made you interested in Japan?
I grew up with import games and later on I got into manga and anime. I'm now more interested into the many aspects of this country (manner being a big part) but I still love gaming and I'm a heavy manga fan (mainly 70s, 80, 90s stuff), but I have almost lost all interest for anime, beside some classic stuff.

Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?)?
Wanted to understand the language and always had the dream of living here.

Are you currently living in Japan?
Yes, with my wife in Fukuoka.

How long have you lived in Japan?
11 months now.

What is your favorite Hotto Motto meal?
Not a huge fan, but the karaage is not bad I guess.

What is your favorite place in Japan?
Fukuoka and Miyazaki.

What is your favorite Japanese food & drink?
Fukuoka Udon/Ramen and Motsunabe as for food. Kurokiri as for drink.

What is your favorite season to be in Japan?
Autumn I guess.

Where are you from, and which languages do you speak? (conversational and above)
Munich, Germany.
German, Croatian, English and Japanse.

What should we call you if we ever met you IRL?
Tommy :)

P.S. Mik, you moved back to Osaka before we could meet... (T ^ T)

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos

Climbing during the day or climbing during the night to see the sunrise, and which path?

One of the best sunrises I've ever seen. The people who live up there are pretty awesome as well. You can also send a postcard from the post office on the peak.

Damn, can't believe I'm flying back to the Netherlands in 10 days after a full year of studying here. It's going to be hard to say goodbye.

Hey, another Miyazaki fan! I used to live in the city ("the city") and loved it. I also share your enthusiasm for Kurokirishima, though I haven't drank it very often since I moved away from Miyazaki.
My wife is from Miyazaki (Takaharu) so I've been there quite often. Miyazaki city is great and the people are very nice. Kurokiri only the 20% alc. version^^. Love it hehe.

Top Bottom