• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Did you have them put a note on your account? Never had an issue with BofA purchases.

They started the dumb ip blocking way before the psn hack too. I remember being confused lol. At least send an email or something and let us know.

As for using the home credit card wiring money back home can be expensive as fuck. It's like 2000+ jpy at SMBC with some percentage on top of it. And you have to sign tons of papers to prove you ain't a Yakuza, don't have friend who are Yakuza, didn't adopt a pet previously owned by Yakuzas, etc...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I kinda doubt many of us here are seishain, especially those of us who are teaching.

That said, my US credit card gets frozen here all the fucking time (Bank of America). I find myself calling my credit card company every few months to get them to unblock my account. They've frozen it twice for adding fucking Skype minutes.

And ever since the great PSN hack, I can no longer use my US credit card on my US PSN account while living in Japan. If I want to add money to my PSN account I have to either ask a friend/relative in the states to buy me a card and read off the number, or go to Amazon and get one of those instant PSN cards. Pretty big pain in the ass.

Matt use paypal thats if you use paypal, since its what I do to refil my US PSN. Saves a TON of time.

You can also buy digital US PSN cards IF you have a US Amazon Account w US address / your CC is tied to a US billing address.

matt360

Matt use paypal thats if you use paypal, since its what I do to refil my US PSN. Saves a TON of time.

You can also buy digital US PSN cards IF you have a US Amazon Account w US address / your CC is tied to a US billing address.

Yeah, the amazon thing I mentioned was referring to the digital cards, I just didn't explain it well. I used to be able to use paypal, but for whatever reason can't anymore.

Desmond

Ehhhhhhhhh not uncommon in a big electronics store like yodobashi. Was it the cashier or did someone help you out?

Cashier = weird
Helped you out = Not weird
Helped me out. Then rang up the order.
I wasn't aware router was simply ルーター in Japanese so I was using every bit of Japanese I knew to explain the situation. Lol. I have to go back soon to buy a laptop.

Also, do I just need a residence card to open a post bank account? I know a stamp etc is not needed. I was told to just register with the local ward office.

matt360

Did you have them put a note on your account? Never had an issue with BofA purchases.

They started the dumb ip blocking way before the psn hack too. I remember being confused lol. At least send an email or something and let us know.

I tell them every single time they block my card to put a note on my account that I'm living in Japan and will be for the foreseeable future. They tell me they've done so every time, but then every time my card is eventually blocked and I call, they say there's no mention of me living in Japan. Just lazy ass employees I guess.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I wasn't aware router was simply ルーター in Japanese so I was using every bit of Japanese I knew to explain the situation. Lol. I have to go back soon to buy a laptop.

Also, do I just need a residence card to open a post bank account? I know a stamp etc is not needed. I was told to just register with the local ward office.

The hankos not a huge deal but get one. I'm sure the new gaijin card is all you'll need. Why doesn't the person who told you go with you?

But tell us more about what this router situation sounds like.

Parakeetman

Yeah its kinda weird how chicken and egg some stuff is with a bank account / residence card.

Go to the city / ward whatever office wherever you are living and register for one. Since you will need it for a lot of stuff here in Japan.

And correct you dont need a hanko for the bank as you can open an account with a signature or should be able to as thats how mine is set up.

Apologies on the double post. D:

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I don't understand why people in this thread aren't using their home country credit cards if they don't have Japanese ones. I used my Icelandic credit card for all purchases I couldn't pay via bank transfer. I thought that was the norm?

If you need Japanese credit cards, Rakuten doesn't really rejected any applications, especially if you are a seishain. They love adding people into their financial enslavement roster.

Mmmm, i have a clear debit record, i don't have any loans at all and they still declined my application.

I'm an expert

Mmmm, i have a clear debit record, i don't have any loans at all and they still declined my application.

Not having any sort of credit history and your length of stay/visa is what's most likely pushing them away. A good idea is to have someone cosign something like a car payment with you. Or having your job give you a corporate card. Or department store cards or stuff like Saison. Anything to put get your name in the system. Opt for ikkatsu as well. About a year in I had no issue opening any personal card.

Anyone knows a good place anywhere in Tokyo where I can sell/give all the junk PC hardware/consoles I have? I've got like 2 X360 I don't use (no cables) and a bunch of PCs laying around. Maybe book-off for the consoles?

Parakeetman

Anyone knows a good place anywhere in Tokyo where I can sell/give all the junk PC hardware/consoles I have? I've got like 2 X360 I don't use (no cables) and a bunch of PCs laying around. Maybe book-off for the consoles?

PC stuff you would have to check the used PC stores in Akiba.

consoles book off usually.

since you put "give" in part of the expectations dont really expect much $$$ for X360s lol no idea what kind of $$$ you can get for used PC stuff though. think the problem would be getting them to said store though that deals with used PC stuff. if its actual whole towers

still might be cheaper than trying to throw them away the proper way which is pretty expensive.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
consoles book off usually.
Thousand times NO.
Book off has by far the worst prices for selling them stuff out of all the stores.
Your options are, in no particular order, since the price varies depending on what you're selling:
- Tsutaya
- GEO
- DORAMA
- Super Potato (for both new/retro stuff)
And some little stores that I know nothing about since I always use one of the above.
I think some Softmaps/Bic Cameras also allow you to sell them stuff, but it depends on the store.
I'd say avoid book off for games if you can find what you're looking for in other places.

Edit:
You can also sell stuff to Amazon through their site, but I think they only give you store credit for it. Not 100% sure, since I've never used it.

Parakeetman

Thousand times NO.
Book off has by far the worst prices for selling them stuff out of all the stores.
Your options are, in no particular order, since the price varies depending on what you're selling:
- Tsutaya
- GEO
- DORAMA
- Super Potato (for both new/retro stuff)
And some little stores that I know nothing about since I always use one of the above.
I think some Softmaps/Bic Cameras also allow you to sell them stuff, but it depends on the store.
I'd say avoid book off for games if you can find what you're looking for in other places.

Edit:
You can also sell stuff to Amazon through their site, but I think they only give you store credit for it. Not 100% sure, since I've never used it.

its not like they are going to get anything for the 360 anyways.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
its not like they are going to get anything for the 360 anyways.
That sadly is true. My post was more like general advice, since book offs are usualy the first place which comes to mind when you think "selling used games/consoles".

Gromph

Staff Member
Hi guys!

Next GAF meet up is: Tuesday 16th 7:00 PM

No reservation this time

Where: Any place with an Izakaya. I accept sugestion.

Where to go: Izakaya.

Policy: No drinks for Evilore.

Gromph

Staff Member
Not having any sort of credit history and your length of stay/visa is what's most likely pushing them away. A good idea is to have someone cosign something like a car payment with you. Or having your job give you a corporate card. Or department store cards or stuff like Saison. Anything to put get your name in the system. Opt for ikkatsu as well. About a year in I had no issue opening any personal card.

Yeah, sounds like that, my visa is for 3 years, i had been here for 1 and a half and my contract is no term.

Parakeetman

That sadly is true. My post was more like general advice, since book offs are usualy the first place which comes to mind when you think "selling used games/consoles".

Its more like its the easier to find ones, since the other shops are less common depending on area. D:

My town used to have a good place but it closed down due to the president of the company passing away due to old age. I know sofmap is a ripoff though as they just have everything "pre-priced" by a list and are not willing to bend on it.
Traders used to be good, but no idea how they are now as have not sold anything to them in literally 10 years.

Hi guys!

No reservation this time

Nice! :D hopefully will be able to make it, since its on the weekday!

Ludono

Hey newbie GAFer here, I'm flying into Tokyo from Hong Kong in a few days for TGS. I was directed to this thread to inquire about any sort of a GAF meet up during the event. So....

Hi? :)

JulianImp

Hi guys!

No reservation this time

Oh man, it just had to be on the day of the Pre-TGS party! I wish I could make it to this one, but I guess I'll have to pass again...

Aizo

Banned
Since I had so much fun hanging out with JapanGAF, I thought I'd go to a party I was invited to yesterday. I try to avoid ~the outside~ as much as possible for various reasons, and it didn't take long until I realized it's gonna be hard finding nice people like you guys, and then I started wishing I could go home. Yesterday was fun but I ran into someone rude who pretty much ruined my day. Not sure why I'm telling you all - probably just wanted to say thanks again for being so awesome. I'm not often comfortable around people but you guys rock. 。゚(。ノω\。)゚。
Awh... I'm sorry some rude person spoiled it for you. You need to have more conbini alcohol and karaoke time! That's what will make your night fun!
Sorry you didn't have a good time :/. We should have another J-GAF get together some time.
I wish I could go ;_;
Hi guys!

No reservation this time

Tomorrow? Whoa. I... may actually be able to stop by. I'm meeting up with my family at 10pm, so it really would be for a short time. I won't even eat/drink. I hope I can!

Ayumi

Hi guys!

No reservation this time

There is a 90% chance I will be able to join! It depends on tomorrow.
Is it okay if I give a late answer on whether I can join or not?

urfe

Hi guys!

No reservation this time

I am most likely down (need to confirm with wife to see if I can go out and play).

Hibiya Oktoberfest is always there. I work in Shinjuku, and live in Chiba, so would be very flexible.

Parakeetman

As long as its someplace too not out of the way of the main line Ill be able to make it. Something that would take too many transfers out and away from like the yamanote for example since my commute back home takes long enough as is lol.

Let's decide on a location soon, it's very short notice already.

yeah since its tomorrow isnt it? lol

kudoboi

so might be going to tokyo this december. where do you guys recommend for shopping? the hotel will most likely be in Shinjuku. Also might get out of the city area for 2 or 3 days. where do you guys recommend?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
so might be going to tokyo this december. where do you guys recommend for shopping? the hotel will most likely be in Shinjuku. Also might get out of the city area for 2 or 3 days. where do you guys recommend?

Shopping for what? If clothes then I can help otherwise ┐(´ー`)┌

Ayumi

If you're a girl, Shibuya 109 might be alright (they have different styles in there, but mostly a lot of ~girly~ clothes). There's also 109 Men's. Never been there but it might be alright? I don't even know your gender or style, so you could try checking the websites if you like, then make plans accordingly.

http://109mens.com/

You can never go wrong with H&M. They have foreign friendly sizes, and is probably cheaper than where you come from (unless you're from the US - who tend to find Japan semi-expensive). There are various shops around central Shibuya and Harajuku Station. There's Takeshita Dori, a famous shopping street, but be warned that it is mostly for females.

Zornica

Banned

arriving on the 17th... maybe next time :(

speaking of: I was looking for a bank (I'll probably need to make an account to pay the rent) when I came across this thread (german). Basically they claim that there are problems for foreign money transfers at certain banks. If your account is "too new", the japanese bank wont accept money from your homeland. It sounds kinda strange, but being japan it might be true.
Do you have any recommendations/advice? (I'm in Kanagawa btw, around Yokohama)

they also recommended an account with the 7-bank.. At first glance the bank seems decent, but there's got to be a catch, right? like enormously high fees or something...

also, there's a fee for using ATMs in japan? even for the ones owned by the bank?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
If you're a girl, Shibuya 109 might be alright (they have different styles in there, but mostly a lot of ~girly~ clothes). There's also 109 Men's. Never been there but it might be alright? I don't even know your gender or style, so you could try checking the websites if you like, then make plans accordingly.

http://109mens.com/

You can never go wrong with H&M. They have foreign friendly sizes, and is probably cheaper than where you come from (unless you're from the US - who tend to find Japan semi-expensive). There are various shops around central Shibuya and Harajuku Station. There's Takeshita Dori, a famous shopping street, but be warned that it is mostly for females.

Uniqlo Ginza. 12 stories of awesome.

Gromph

Staff Member
Hi guys!

Next GAF meet up is: Tuesday 16th 6:30 - 7:00 PM

No reservation this time

Where: Shimbashi East Exit.

Where to go: http://r.gnavi.co.jp/a444751/

decaf

I'd like to come to this but I'll be a bit late.

Would it be alright for me to join you folks at the venue?

Karaoke after!?

Top Bottom