• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Shit gromph if youre hiring send me the info. I know how to hard reboot a pc.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Shit gromph if youre hiring send me the info. I know how to hard reboot a pc.

I had a friend working as IT (manager) at PwC, and he moved out of the b4 and now is working as manager (IT) at ferrovial, with a more simple life and a lot of time to stay with his two daughters.

I wish my company recruits lol..

The only real downside is i have a 365/24x7 on call.

Also i run with some friends a association and we organise security congress (IT)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Yup - as Groumph knows - I had a period of loooong hours , thankfully that's now at an end but yup : quality of life is the key thing.

Futaba

Damn, all things considered I guess I'm doing well for myself, 10m and work from home 99%. (other 1% is travel to LA/HK/Paris for meetings)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Im too used to the quality of life for the time I put in at this point. Anything less than like 60mil for me wouldnt be worth my time. Doing a 9-5 for anything less is just a waste. I'd just take a few years off then.

What are you into Futaba? IT/software?

Btw this convo wasnt supposed to be about money lol, more the greater than 90% work from home lifestyle in Japan.

Gromph

Staff Member
Im too used to the quality of life for the time I put in at this point. Anything less than like 60mil for me wouldnt be worth my time. Doing a 9-5 for anything less is just a waste. I'd just take a few years off then.

Btw this convo wasnt supposed to be about money lol, more the greater than 90% work from home lifestyle in Japan.

The 90% work from home in this country is just a myth, you are asking for something so rare... When the 99% of corporates preferred the presence over the productivity.

I like to work from home sometimes, but I like to go to the office sometimes.

For me personally work at home 90% of the time is a big no.

Money and sex move this world so is normal in any life conversations any of both subjects appear:)

I'm an expert

Im well aware lol, Im a product of corporate Japan. But recently Ive come across the digital nomad movement of people being able to freelance and just go wherever. I mean back in our day this was stuff like day trading or online poker or digital design..but nowadays theres all these back end shared services boutiques as well. Like a US firm could hire me to be their controller and Id do everything from wherever I have an internet connection. It's very cool. Doesnt mean Im working for Japan, just in Japan.

So yeah i dont care if your japanese employer lets you work from home, i work from home too. I more like the idea of working for a contract in sweden or pakistan or mexico while im actually here. That seems like a cool existence.

Gromph

Staff Member
Im well aware lol, Im a product of corporate Japan. But recently Ive come across the digital nomad movement of people being able to freelance and just go wherever. I mean back in our day this was stuff like day trading or online poker or digital design..but nowadays theres all these back end shared services boutiques as well. Like a US firm could hire me to be their controller and Id do everything from wherever I have an internet connection. It's very cool. Doesnt mean Im working for Japan, just in Japan.

So yeah i dont care if your japanese employer lets you work from home, i work from home too. I more like the idea of working for a contract in sweden or pakistan or mexico while im actually here. That seems like a cool existence.

Well as everything you need to do the step forward, if you think is a cool existence, why don't you try it? :)

Futaba

If you've enough money to live happily for the rest of your life without additional income, do something that you'll enjoy regardless of whether or not you consider it worth the time.
If you want to learn a new skill, either go self-teach or attend a class.

A close friend of mine here was on close to 85m and left his job last year, aged 36 (at the time) now all he does is surf at enoshima beach and work on restoring his rusty old split screen VW camper.

As for me I'm in industrial design, it would be easy to say I work 9-5 every day from home but in reality I do about an hours work a day at most, and spend the rest on personal endevours, sure I don't get paid anywhere near as much, and could likely make much more by working longer hours, but i am satisfied to spend an evening reading a book on the balcony watching the sun come down, and that costs the price of a book, the generic high-earning lifestyle of expensive restaurants, expensive cars, exotic locations and fancy home has never appealed to me.

In general I don't think the at-home lifestyle or nomadic work environment is well suited to those looking for high earnings in most cases, I consider myself, even at only 10m to be one of the more extreme examples of work-at-home, you'll occasionally get people that struck lucky and earn insane amounts from the comfort of home, but in most cases I think you would find the average person working from home earns lower than the national average, Japan just isn't the environment for it in most cases.
Likely the only reason I earn what I do is because much of my business is conducted outside of Japan.

I'm an expert

Of course thats the reason. Thats why I brought that setup up. The alternative doesnt exist here lol.

DD

Hey Japan Gaf! I really enjoyed the Japanese part on yesterday's closing ceremonies at Rio. I effin' love the Japanese sense of aesthetics, visually and musically speaking. So, do any of you guys know the names of the songs played yesterday on Japan's part of the ceremony? I'm specially interested in that electronic music played on that LED cubes part, and that jazz song was awesome too (reminded me a little of Soil & PIMP Sessions, which I love).

Cheers!

Hi everyone! I've been working as an SAP technical consultant for almost 6 years now (4 of those in one of the big4) and after a few visits to Japan I've been toying with the idea of working there.
Are there any other consultants here who want to share their story? Things such as how did you end up in Japan, how's the usual relationship with clients, how open are they to foreigner consultants, etc Maybe that will help me get a point of reference about where and how to start make it feasible.

Gacha-pin

【悲報】ドラえもんはどこでもドアを使えばいいものを代わりに地球にどでかい穴をあけてしまった件について

Hey Japan Gaf! I really enjoyed the Japanese part on yesterday's closing ceremonies at Rio. I effin' love the Japanese sense of aesthetics, visually and musically speaking. So, do any of you guys know the names of the songs played yesterday on Japan's part of the ceremony? I'm specially interested in that electronic music played on that LED cubes part, and that jazz song was awesome too (reminded me a little of Soil & PIMP Sessions, which I love).

Cheers!

I don't know the name of that electronic music but the composer is Nakata Yasutaka (中田ヤスタカ). The jazz part is 望遠鏡の外の景色 by Shiina Ringo (椎名林檎) .

DD

【悲報】ドラえもんはどこでもドアを使えばいいものを代わりに地球にどでかい穴をあけてしまった件について

I don't know the name of that electronic music but the composer is Nakata Yasutaka (中田ヤスタカ). The jazz part is 望遠鏡の外の景色 by Shiina Ringo (椎名林檎) .

Someone uploaded the exact song I was looking for on Youtube. Unfortunately its a rip from the ceremony, so the quality isn't great. This seems like a custom made song, not something you can buy elsewhere, sadly. But at least with a name I can look for his other works. Thank you, bro! (•̀ᴗ•́)و ̑̑

It's so trippy and epic... I love it!

inafking

Now back on the jobs topic, do you think that it's too crazy to work in a software development company that pays at least 6m/year (JPY), 9-6 working hours and live in a 2K apartment in the outskirsts of Tokyo (well, not so far away, let's say in the Kita district on in Chiba close to Nishi-Funabashi) paying about 80k of rent a month and all the other expenses (utility bills, food, transport, cleaning supplies, toiletries and occassional buying of clothes, shoes)?

That somewhat my plan when I finish my japanese lessons in 4 years more. By that time I'd only have an N3 level but the jobs offerings I'm looking for don't ask for knowledge of japanese:

Software developer jobs in Tokyo that don't ask for japanese knowledge

Besides, I don't plan to get a job that deals with being in a leadership position because I don't like being in charge and being responsible for someone's work (I only wanna be responsible for my own work) and I think there are some job offerings with that condition there.

Pls tell me If I'm being too optimistic. IDK if these conditions are gonna remain the same 4 years later.

(BTW, I'm studing japanese to achieve a daily conversation level to survive outside of the office and home)

Greets!

EDIT: There are better paid jobs in careercross, but I think a lot of them are also listed in daijob

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hey guys,

This is a super random question:

I own my own business that generates plenty of income, but can be run virtually from anywhere. I have business partners in Japan (several of our board games are Japanese imports).

My question is, if I wanted a Visa that let me rent an apartment and travel back and forth, is there any real feasible way to do so? It seems the Japanese government wants me to have a sponsor? Maybe I could get that from one of my business partners? Or would they have to say they are paying me money?

Edit: Cross posted from visiting japan gaf because I didn't know there was a living in Japan GAF.

Double Edit: I should also note, my Japanese is relatively terrible.

hwalker84

Is there a Time share market in Japan? In the next 5 years I'd love to own property in Japan but since I'd only be there two weeks a year I'd rather co-own something. Any knowledge on this subject?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Heads up on that. You may have to pay income tax in both the usa and japan. Kind of a tricky situation

Yeah, that's my accountants question.

It's a US company though that pays me a salary.

My expectation would be corporate profits stay in the US, personal income tax moves to Japan, and I'd get a credit back on my US taxes for foreign taxes paid.

But again, if I can do it, it'll be down to my accountant to figure that much out.

I'm an expert

Hey guys,

This is a super random question:

I own my own business that generates plenty of income, but can be run virtually from anywhere. I have business partners in Japan (several of our board games are Japanese imports).

My question is, if I wanted a Visa that let me rent an apartment and travel back and forth, is there any real feasible way to do so? It seems the Japanese government wants me to have a sponsor? Maybe I could get that from one of my business partners? Or would they have to say they are paying me money?

Edit: Cross posted from visiting japan gaf because I didn't know there was a living in Japan GAF.

Double Edit: I should also note, my Japanese is relatively terrible.

I must advise you to seek the services of an actual accountancy firm and anything I say should not be relied upon as advice.

Just to be clear, are you talking about coming to Japan just for fun every few months..? Or to actually come for the purposes of business? The quick answer to your question is no, your partners are not the ones that would be able to sponsor you (unless your partnership is actually registered in Japan as a GK?).

The issue you will run into is whether or not your activities in Japan will trigger Japanese consumption tax (JCT) and whether or not you will eventually create full on a permanent establishment for your company which will have corporate income tax (CIT) implications, all of this putting aside that you may have personal income tax obligations (PIT).

In regards to the visa, this is where you will need professional advice looking at all of the factors of your situation, but if you plan to go on secondment with your company as the sponsor, you would have to register your company as a Japanese entity (relatively simple to set it up as a GK) and have the entity apply for your sponsorship. The question becomes if you want to actually do this because it will for sure create a bunch of tax consequences that may not be necessary depending on the reasons for your visit. There are also other visas you may be eligible for (self-employment, highly experienced) but if you only plan to come a few times a year, say 2-3, then the tourist visa is honestly fine.

If you simply plan to come to Japan to meet a bit with your partners and spend the rest of the time relaxing in Japan, you can definitely structure your activities in a way so they don't force you to deal with all of the formalities of Japanese taxes, but note that the amount of days you spend and your business activities (this is a complicated topic) in a year are cumulative. You would want to check your country's tax treaty with Japan to check what the threshold is before someone is considered a permanent resident for tax purposes - this would have your worldwide income taxed in Japan. Yes, there are a bunch of systems in place for foreign tax credits or just outright exemptions, but each situation will be different.

This is a very broad, generic, and summarized version of some of the considerations..but in all honesty, assuming I have the right idea of what you want to do during the year, this could be done relatively painlessly. There are services in place to rent weekly or monthly mansions/apartments for business travelers and plenty of share house options. If you really want to have your own permanent rental for your private use during the year, then you are definitely going to have to consider some of the issues I brought up and seek some professional guidance.

A very basic analysis of your circumstances usually runs about $3k from any of the Big4 firm's personal advisory services.

Is there a Time share market in Japan? In the next 5 years I'd love to own property in Japan but since I'd only be there two weeks a year I'd rather co-own something. Any knowledge on this subject?

Time-sharing sort of exists but not exactly in the same sense as I think an American would think of it i.e. owning short periods of guaranteed time at a property. The concept of time-shares here is usually like a resort or hotel agency renting a place out, basically like an airbnb. It's more a cultural thing than anything due to how vacations are taken in Japan (differences in seasonality compared to Western countries). Property and rental business in Japan are very different in general, especially once you get out of any of the major metro areas. That isn't to say you can't find a vanilla time-share, but you will most likely be looking through foreign channels rather than native ones.

It's definitely a bigger investment/giant headache to do, but buying a mansion(condo) a bit out in the inaka is quite common. A used 1DK in a more rural area can cost as little as USD $25k and can be used as your base of operations when visiting. Now that I'm back in Tokyo I rent a mansion in the area for work, but own one in Osaka where we actually live, and then we have our house out on Shikoku for family/relaxing. You might think oh wow that's crazy but to be honest I think the total values of the house and Osaka mansion would shock you (the Tokyo one would probably shock you for the normal reasons).

The issue is always where is your primary target for travel. If Tokyo always needs to be your center of Japan, then you'll look at places 1.5-2 hours outside of Tokyo, but this is totally normal and most people have a daily commute of this length. Grabbing a place 15 minutes from say Takasaki and then coming into Tokyo on the Takasaki line is a totally viable option. And if Tokyo doesn't have to be your center of Japan, it becomes even easier and cheaper.

hwalker84

I must advise you to seek the services of an actual accountancy firm and anything I say should not be relied upon as advice.

Just to be clear, are you talking about coming to Japan just for fun every few months..? Or to actually come for the purposes of business? The quick answer to your question is no, your partners are not the ones that would be able to sponsor you (unless your partnership is actually registered in Japan as a GK?).

The issue you will run into is whether or not your activities in Japan will trigger Japanese consumption tax (JCT) and whether or not you will eventually create full on a permanent establishment for your company which will have corporate income tax (CIT) implications, all of this putting aside that you may have personal income tax obligations (PIT).

In regards to the visa, this is where you will need professional advice looking at all of the factors of your situation, but if you plan to go on secondment with your company as the sponsor, you would have to register your company as a Japanese entity (relatively simple to set it up as a GK) and have the entity apply for your sponsorship. The question becomes if you want to actually do this because it will for sure create a bunch of tax consequences that may not be necessary depending on the reasons for your visit. There are also other visas you may be eligible for (self-employment, highly experienced) but if you only plan to come a few times a year, say 2-3, then the tourist visa is honestly fine.

If you simply plan to come to Japan to meet a bit with your partners and spend the rest of the time relaxing in Japan, you can definitely structure your activities in a way so they don't force you to deal with all of the formalities of Japanese taxes, but note that the amount of days you spend and your business activities (this is a complicated topic) in a year are cumulative. You would want to check your country's tax treaty with Japan to check what the threshold is before someone is considered a permanent resident for tax purposes - this would have your worldwide income taxed in Japan. Yes, there are a bunch of systems in place for foreign tax credits or just outright exemptions, but each situation will be different.

This is a very broad, generic, and summarized version of some of the considerations..but in all honesty, assuming I have the right idea of what you want to do during the year, this could be done relatively painlessly. There are services in place to rent weekly or monthly mansions/apartments for business travelers and plenty of share house options. If you really want to have your own permanent rental for your private use during the year, then you are definitely going to have to consider some of the issues I brought up and seek some professional guidance.

A very basic analysis of your circumstances usually runs about $3k from any of the Big4 firm's personal advisory services.

Time-sharing sort of exists but not exactly in the same sense as I think an American would think of it i.e. owning short periods of guaranteed time at a property. The concept of time-shares here is usually like a resort or hotel agency renting a place out, basically like an airbnb. It's more a cultural thing than anything due to how vacations are taken in Japan (differences in seasonality compared to Western countries). Property and rental business in Japan are very different in general, especially once you get out of any of the major metro areas. That isn't to say you can't find a vanilla time-share, but you will most likely be looking through foreign channels rather than native ones.

It's definitely a bigger investment/giant headache to do, but buying a mansion(condo) a bit out in the inaka is quite common. A used 1DK in a more rural area can cost as little as USD $25k and can be used as your base of operations when visiting. Now that I'm back in Tokyo I rent a mansion in the area for work, but own one in Osaka where we actually live, and then we have our house out on Shikoku for family/relaxing. You might think oh wow that's crazy but to be honest I think the total values of the house and Osaka mansion would shock you (the Tokyo one would probably shock you for the normal reasons).

The issue is always where is your primary target for travel. If Tokyo always needs to be your center of Japan, then you'll look at places 1.5-2 hours outside of Tokyo, but this is totally normal and most people have a daily commute of this length. Grabbing a place 15 minutes from say Takasaki and then coming into Tokyo on the Takasaki line is a totally viable option. And if Tokyo doesn't have to be your center of Japan, it becomes even easier and cheaper.
Fukuoka and Osaka are my favorite cities. Wasn't even thinking Tokyo. Thanks for the info.

I'm an expert

Then I would def look into buying a place. It's not as difficult in those areas to nab something for what would ultimately be cheaper than a home share in the long run. Also the option to make money off it.

inafking

Sorry if I'm being bothersome: Anyone has worked in the IT industry in Japan so you can give me some advice about this plan?

Now back on the jobs topic, do you think that it's too crazy to work in a software development company that pays at least 6m/year (JPY), 9-6 working hours and live in a 2K apartment in the outskirsts of Tokyo (well, not so far away, let's say in the Kita district on in Chiba close to Nishi-Funabashi) paying about 80k of rent a month and all the other expenses (utility bills, food, transport, cleaning supplies, toiletries and occassional buying of clothes, shoes)?

That somewhat my plan when I finish my japanese lessons in 4 years more. By that time I'd only have an N3 level but the jobs offerings I'm looking for don't ask for knowledge of japanese:

Besides, I don't plan to get a job that deals with being in a leadership position because I don't like being in charge and being responsible for someone's work (I only wanna be responsible for my own work) and I think there are some job offerings with that condition there.

Pls tell me If I'm being too optimistic. IDK if these conditions are gonna remain the same 4 years later.

(BTW, I'm studing japanese to achieve a daily conversation level to survive outside of the office and home)

Greets!

EDIT: There are better paid jobs in careercross, but I think a lot of them are also listed in daijob.

I basically filter all the job offers ignoring the ones that say プロジェクトマネージャ, project manager or the ones mentioning "lead". Forgot to mention that I have 8 years of expertise in software development, with some years in Java and the rest in .NET (a little more on the .NET side though)

Thanks in advance!

dani_dc

Greets!

EDIT: There are better paid jobs in careercross, but I think a lot of them are also listed in daijob

I don't see why any of that isn't feasible, 6 million yen per year is more than enough to live comfortably in Tokyo, I'd say you can even survive easily with around 2.0 million yen per year (when I was doing an IT internship I was being given around 170K yen per month).

The biggest issue you'd get would be finding a job from overseas, as far as I can tell in IT companies tend to be more reluctant to hire from overseas. You'd be better off looking into something such as a working-holiday visa to come to Japan and look for a job around here.

inafking

I don't see why any of that isn't feasible, 6 million yen per year is more than enough to live comfortably in Tokyo, I'd say you can even survive easily with around 2.0 million yen per year (when I was doing an IT internship I was being given around 170K yen per month).

The biggest issue you'd get would be finding a job from overseas, as far as I can tell in IT companies tend to be more reluctant to hire from overseas. You'd be better off looking into something such as a working-holiday visa to come to Japan and look for a job around here.

Unfortunately Japan doesn't have a working-holiday program with my country (Chile). I guess I'll have to go directly to the Japan Embassy in my country to apply for a working visa. The problem is they'll probably ask for a concrete job offer from Japan so I can apply and the truth is that what I plan to do is stay in Japan for a few months until I find a job using my savings to survive (I can survive about more than 6 months looking for a job considering the rent, transport and food with my current savings, it can be more months if I take in consideration money in another savings account I have saved)

You're from Portugal, aren't you? I'm sure you suggested the working-holiday visa because Portugal has that benefit and there's no limit in the amount of people that can apply. I hope it's not too hard to get a working-holiday visa in the embassy. Well, these are plans in 4 years more.

Hugs!

dani_dc

Unfortunately Japan doesn't have a working-holiday program with my country (Chile). I guess I'll have to go directly to the Japan Embassy in my country to apply for a working visa. The problem is they'll probably ask for a concrete job offer from Japan so I can apply and the truth is that what I plan to do is stay in Japan for a few months until I find a job using my savings to survive (I can survive about more than 6 months looking for a job considering the rent, transport and food with my current savings, it can be more months if I take in consideration money in another savings account I have saved)

You're from Portugal, aren't you? I'm sure you suggested the working-holiday visa because Portugal has that benefit and there's no limit in the amount of people that can apply. I hope it's not too hard to get a working-holiday visa in the embassy. Well, these are plans in 4 years more.

Hugs!

I wasn't aware Chile didn't have those :(
Actually Portugal only has working-holiday visas since last year from what I know.

Unfortunately you can't get a working Visa without a sponsor. To self-sponsor your own visa you'd need to have contract's showing you'd be making 3 million yen per year in Japan (I've been told that the money needs to come from Japanese clients, though don't quote me on that).

You could come in with a holiday visa and try your luck, alternatively you could also attend a language schools (they arrange you a cultural visa).

That's not to say you can't get a job in Japan from overseas, but being already here (and with a non-tourist visa) is a big help.

inafking

I wasn't aware Chile didn't have those :(
Actually Portugal only has working-holiday visas since last year from what I know.

Unfortunately you can't get a working Visa without a sponsor. To self-sponsor your own visa you'd need to have contract's showing you'd be making 3 million yen per year in Japan (I've been told that the money needs to come from Japanese clients, though don't quote me on that).

You could come in with a holiday visa and try your luck, alternatively you could also attend a language schools (they arrange you a cultural visa).

That's not to say you can't get a job in Japan from overseas, but being already here (and with a non-tourist visa) is a big help.

You say I can try my luck with just a holiday visa...that means while I'm there I can apply for a working permission to apply for jobs that require it? I don't know if the working permission is a different paperwork from a working visa. For instance this job asks for permission to work in Japan but I don't know if they referring to a working visa or another permission which is easier to get.

I'm studying at a Chilean-Japanese Cultural Institute and I don't know if they can assist me on getting a cultural visa, and whether that cultural visa would be useful to get a working permission to apply for jobs.

I hope you can help me with these doubts.
Thanks a lot for all your previous answers.

Greets & Hugs!

JulianImp

You say I can try my luck with just a holiday visa...that means while I'm there I can apply for a working permission to apply for jobs that require it? I don't know if the working permission is a different paperwork from a working visa. For instance this job asks for permission to work in Japan but I don't know if they referring to a working visa or another permission which is easier to get.

I'm studying at a Chilean-Japanese Cultural Institute and I don't know if they can assist me on getting a cultural visa, and whether that cultural visa would be useful to get a working permission to apply for jobs.

Greets & Hugs!

AFAIK, work visas are very specific, being awarded for a single type of job (engineering, cultural stuff, teaching, qualified labor, etc.), and with each of them having unique requirements as well.

Still, I could've gotten a job at a game development company despite not having the college degree that engineering visas ask for (I only have a tertiary 専門学校-equivalent degree in game programming, which was the best I could get in Argentina), which means that you can get in as long as an employer's interested in actually hiring you. It's still way more complicated for them to hire you than getting a Japanese citizen, so you'll probably have to work extra hard to tip the scales in your favor.

Getting hired by middlemen tends to be a lot harder though, since they are a lot more likely to ask for high-level JLPT certificates and degrees, turning you down if you don't meet the requirements; on the other hand, contacting a company directly is more likely to get you an interview at the very least. I guess it might be because middlemen are more willing to just filter out people who don't check all the boxes, while through direct contact they might decide to let that slip to a certain extent as long as they can be certain that you'll be providing them what they need.

inafking

AFAIK, work visas are very specific, being awarded for a single type of job (engineering, cultural stuff, teaching, qualified labor, etc.), and with each of them having unique requirements as well.

Still, I could've gotten a job at a game development company despite not having the college degree that engineering visas ask for (I only have a tertiary 専門学校-equivalent degree in game programming, which was the best I could get in Argentina), which means that you can get in as long as an employer's interested in actually hiring you. It's still way more complicated for them to hire you than getting a Japanese citizen, so you'll probably have to work extra hard to tip the scales in your favor.

Getting hired by middlemen tends to be a lot harder though, since they are a lot more likely to ask for high-level JLPT certificates and degrees, turning you down if you don't meet the requirements; on the other hand, contacting a company directly is more likely to get you an interview at the very least. I guess it might be because middlemen are more willing to just filter out people who don't check all the boxes, while through direct contact they might decide to let that slip to a certain extent as long as they can be certain that you'll be providing them what they need.

I don't know if the visa I have to apply for is the Engineer type or the Skilled Labour type as an IT engineeer working as a software developer. Still gonna have the "which one came first: the egg or the chicken" problem since I can't apply for jobs without a working visa and to get a working visa I have to have a contract or at least an invitation letter from a company.

Also, IDK what you mean when you say "middlemen". Are you talking about recruiter companies?

BTW, "Saludos desde Chile amigo!" (In case you are from Argentina and speak spanish of course (^_-) )

EDIT: It looks like I'd have to apply for an Engineer visa as it's said in this page (which IDK which country is from)

JulianImp

I don't know if the visa I have to apply for is the Engineer type or the Skilled Labour type as an IT engineeer working as a software developer. Still gonna have the "which one came first: the egg or the chicken" problem since I can't apply for jobs without a working visa and to get a working visa I have to have a contract or at least an invitation letter from a company.

Also, IDK what you mean when you say "middlemen". Are you talking about recruiter companies?

BTW, "Saludos desde Chile amigo!" (In case you are from Argentina and speak spanish of course (^_-) )

EDIT: It looks like I'd have to apply for an Engineer visa as it's said in this page (which IDK which country is from)

Yeah, software development falls under Engineering visas.

Also, it actually isn't a chicken-or-egg scenario since you don't need a visa to find a job, but instead land a job offer first, which results in your prospective employer filing most of the paperwork for you. I get a couple offers every now and then from Japanese recruiters, but everything tends to get put on hold once they realize my college degree would be roughly equal to a pre-graduate degree because there are no freaking college courses on game design and programming, so I've had to make do with a three-year senmon-level course.

Regarding the documentation you might need to present, you'll probably have to get your degrees and whatever translated to English (or maybe directly to Japanese?), and also get them signed and stamped so that they're recognized in foreign countries.

Y suerte con tu búsqueda, que supongo que va a ser más fácil que la mía por tener título de nivel universitario.

inafking

Yeah, software development falls under Engineering visas.

Also, it actually isn't a chicken-or-egg scenario since you don't need a visa to find a job, but instead land a job offer first, which results in your prospective employer filing most of the paperwork for you. I get a couple offers every now and then from Japanese recruiters, but everything tends to get put on hold once they realize my college degree would be roughly equal to a pre-graduate degree because there are no freaking college courses on game design and programming, so I've had to make do with a three-year senmon-level course.

Regarding the documentation you might need to present, you'll probably have to get your degrees and whatever translated to English (or maybe directly to Japanese?), and also get them signed and stamped so that they're recognized in foreign countries.

Y suerte con tu búsqueda, que supongo que va a ser más fácil que la mía por tener título de nivel universitario.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I guess they must be signed and stamped by a Japanese authority? Or can it be just a chilean entity?

Hugs!

dani_dc

Greets & Hugs!

Usually you can work here if you either have some kind of working Visa, or if you have an spousal visa/student visa and ask for a permit to work (this would allow you to work X hours per week).

By language institute I meant a language institute within Japan, it's not a working visa but I think it allows you to ask for a work permit and it gives you time to search for a job while also living in Japan for a few months, plus you'd get to check life in Japan before committing to staying here.

While there's different type of visa, the usual working visa actually applies to different type of jobs, mine says "engineering/humanities/Int' services".

More so than having a work visa, just being able to go to interview by being in Japan opens a doors. Not to mention the opportunity to network (if you happen to have those skills) which is always a helpful step to get a job.

inafking

A fellow southamerican buddy told me that you can apply for jobs while being in Japan with a holiday visa but when a company finally has put its eyes on you they can do most of the paperwork for you to change your visa status but to change your visa from holiday to working type you can't stay in Japan and must reenter the country to trigger the visa type change. Is that true?

I can't believe it's so hard to get a job on Japan because of that restriction. You need a working visa to apply for jobs but the country won't give you a working visa if you don't have a job contract or concrete offer. IDK if it's gonna be that hard for jobs that don't require japanese (like this like other that look for foreigners) because I think there are gonna be lots of foreigners that don't have working permits because of that chicken-or-egg scenario.

It's strange since they need to increase their labour force to improve their economy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
A fellow southamerican buddy told me that you can apply for jobs while being in Japan with a holiday visa but when a company finally has put its eyes on you they can do most of the paperwork for you to change your visa status but to change your visa from holiday to working type you can't stay in Japan and must reenter the country to trigger the visa type change. Is that true?

I can't believe it's so hard to get a job on Japan because of that restriction. You need a working visa to apply for jobs but the country won't give you a working visa if you don't have a job contract or concrete offer. IDK if it's gonna be that hard for jobs that don't require japanese (like this like other that look for foreigners) because I think there are gonna be lots of foreigners that don't have working permits because of that chicken-or-egg scenario.

It's strange since they need to increase their labour force to improve their economy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I applied for jobs (and know a few people who did) and found my first one when I was still on scholarship here on a student visa. You don't need a working visa just for job hunting, I assume you can even do it on a regular vacation visa, but don't quote me on this, I'm no lawyer.
Anyway, you want to be in the country so that you can go on interviews, the step before that - CV etc. can be done through email and even the first interview through skype shouldn't be a problem if a company is really interested in you.

When all's said and done and a company decides to employ you, they will probably do most of the visa preparations for you. I'm not sure how this re-entering way of changing your visa works, since I did it all between the scholarship and coming here to work, but I feel you're making it sound much more complicated than it really is. ;)

dani_dc

It's strange since they need to increase their labour force to improve their economy ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Pretty sure that's just a myth, if you have a job offer and the necessary documents you can go to immigration office and request a change of visa status.

It's unfortunate when companies ask for working visas to hire you to begin with. Don't let that stop you from sending your CV anyway though.

Japan is not the most open country to immigration in the world, but they'll loosen restrictions as time goes, they pretty much have to.

KtSlime

It's strange since they need to increase their labour force to improve their economy ¯_(ツ)_/¯

It's a myth, all you have to do is go to immigration and change your visa status once you get your CoE from your employer. It's a bit of a pain, but it's not a leave the country and re-enter level of difficulty.

inafking

Thanks a lot my my friends!

On a different subject, I was trying to find information about how crowded the trains can become between specific stations. The segments I'm looking for are:
  1. between Oji Station and Tabata Station going south through the Keihin Tohoku Line in the morning
  2. between Tabata Station and Shinjuku Station counter-clockwise through the yamanote Line in the morning
  3. between Shinjuku Station and Tabata Station clockwise through the yamanote Line in the evening
  4. between Tabata Station and Oji Station going north through the Keihin Tohoku Line in the evening

Or better yet, find a page where I can find the "crowdedness" of the train on different lines and between different stations. Doesn't matter if it's in japanese. The closest I could get was downloading this PDF

All of the above is because I'm just playing making plans where I could live and could work.

BTW, working here in Chile is not so different than working in Japan because things here can get very stressing and you can end working lots of hours (overtime) without getting paid. So basically I'd get used to it.

I hope it's not too troublesome for you to give me some advice where I can find this info.
Greets!

EDIT: I've even tried to look for videos on youtube searching for instance: "朝ラッシュ山手線内回り", "朝ラッシュ京浜東北線" and such but I haven't been able to find ones where they pass through those stations in the right direction and at those times.

Desmond

Coming over on a Working Holiday visa this winter, if everything goes to plan. Accommodation is something that is worrying me. Anyone have any tips?

KtSlime

Thanks a lot my my friends!

On a different subject, I was trying to find information about how crowded the trains can become between specific stations. The segments I'm looking for are:
  1. between Oji Station and Tabata Station going south through the Keihin Tohoku Line in the morning
  2. between Tabata Station and Shinjuku Station counter-clockwise through the yamanote Line in the morning
  3. between Shinjuku Station and Tabata Station clockwise through the yamanote Line in the evening
  4. between Tabata Station and Oji Station going north through the Keihin Tohoku Line in the evening

Or better yet, find a page where I can find the "crowdedness" of the train on different lines and between different stations. Doesn't matter if it's in japanese. The closest I could get was downloading this PDF

All of the above is because I'm just playing making plans where I could live and could work.

BTW, working here in Chile is not so different than working in Japan because things here can get very stressing and you can end working lots of hours (overtime) without getting paid. So basically I'd get used to it.

I hope it's not too troublesome for you to give me some advice where I can find this info.
Greets!

EDIT: I've even tried to look for videos on youtube searching for instance: "朝ラッシュ山手線内回り", "朝ラッシュ京浜東北線" and such but I haven't been able to find ones where they pass through those stations in the right direction and at those times.

How crowded they are completely depends on the time, every train and direction has its own peaks.

It is probably best to try using a navigation app that gives you that info such as Navitime こみれぽ, then you can see where the peaks are, which cars are most crowded, etc.

bluethree

I'm so happy that my commute is from Tokyo to Yokohama instead of the other way around. Get on at the right time and it doesn't feel that crowded at all.

inafking

How crowded they are completely depends on the time, every train and direction has its own peaks.

It is probably best to try using a navigation app that gives you that info such as Navitime こみれぽ, then you can see where the peaks are, which cars are most crowded, etc.
Thanks a lot. It was very useful. I've found some information about the Namboku line that is somewhat crowded in Komagome station heading to the south (level 5 of crowdedness) and that it's almost impossible to catch a train in Nishinippori station in the Chiyoda line heading to Yoyogi-Uehara since it comes crowded well before Kitasenju station. (Level 6).

Basically I was looking for stations in which you can take both JR and Subway lines that don't have Too expensive apartments for rental and have prívate toilet, shower, washing machine space, Air conditioning and preferably balcony and elevator. The cheapest ones where close to those stations I mentioned.

There are also apartments in Nishifunabashi and Motoyawata. Yeah, they are further away but it should be much less hard to take the train or Subway from there. Overall, the time you take to arrive from those far away stations should be about the same time you take to be able to get into a train in closer stations since they are so crowded and have to wait for several trains to catch one with space.

EDIT: Yeah, there are even apartments without a toilet and shower since they are shared. Guess most of them are shared houses and are discarded from my search. They're much cheapest though.

I'm so happy that my commute is from Tokyo to Yokohama instead of the other way around. Get on at the right time and it doesn't feel that crowded at all.
I'm glad for you. I know there's a software development company called FirstQA Systems that's in Kanagawa, but they ask for people with native level of japanese unfortunately.

Top Bottom