• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Porcile

You know thats not the first time someone here has accused me here of being on reddit. Someone on gaf definitely used reddit because I believe it was linked in the circle jerk sub before. For the record, again, I've never once posted on reddit or any weird upvote kind of forums. But for real, I take offense you think i make posts like that. I don't hardcore troll or write dumb shit like that ever.

Though there's some serious Big Daikon type shit running through there. I 100% believe some people on there are people I have come across in real life. You should go back over the last 2-3 months. There were some serious troll wars going on through all the Japan related subs. Japan attracts the most special of people.

The second guy is pretty funny. Take it as a compliment.

But this is just a clusterfuck. Been reading the first few pages of that reddit and I am totally starting to understand the whole get the fuck out Tokyo/Kanto line of thinking.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Hm? what makes you say that from that thread?

also I feel like I could give a unique perspective on this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1328964 due to being in management at a japanese firm.. but these threads bring out all the real experts.

also is anyone watching this dutch kid on ニッポン行きたい人応援団?

Porcile

Hm? what makes you say that from that thread?

Assuming you're referring to that Tokyo comment, I wasn't addressing that thread in particular, but rather the whole sub-reddit. Pretty much just seems like 90% foreigner working in Tokyo-life to me. Lots insular people, petty bullshit, full of fucking stupid questions about how to get laid and where to eat ramen in Tokyo. But I don't know shit about the Japanlife reddit. First time I've actually bothered to go on there for more than a micro-second besides being linked from jcj when i need a good cheer up. I'm sure there's reasonable folks.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
ohhh..yes. yeah good point. i didnt even realize that sub is a perfect representation of what i was telling you. people who think japan = tokyo. shrug. again, not much i can say about that but personal opinions.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Kind of how I feel, and yeah, I can see it from both sides now. It's hard to generalize sometimes, especially when similar questions start getting asked. I sometimes browse here, and I always used to think "why the hell is everyone so damn grumpy in this thread!?" Haha!

But the teaching thing, I did that, so am happy to field any questions, RurouniZel, as well as the general Japan ones you'll inevitability have. PM or whatever.

Thanks Kazzy. I just woke up and went to work so it won't be for a while but I'll send a couple of questions via DM. :) (I'm not good at writing on my phone).

putarorex

新年あけましておめでとうございます.

I hate osechi ryori and being stuck with the in-laws but it is nice to have a few days off from work.

I'm an expert

never understood this weird inlaw dread.. nor the need to even go there every year.. we go maybe once every 3-4 years. basically just when we have a kid so we break even on the gifts.

Well, I'm moving to Japan in a month! I got a job as an ALT with Interac and I'll be working in the Sendai area (no word on a specific location yet). I'm going to Tokyo on February 1 to stay with my friend for a month before my job begins in March so I can just kinda do some sightseeing and take it easy before my life begins over there.

Anyway, I'd be thrilled to talk with any members of JapanGAF and get some insights/learn some things! I'm also taking this job to become very serious about learning Japanese (and for other reasons), so I might also be asking a lot of questions about language.

Thanks in advance for any helpful words and guidance!

Gacha-pin

梅の花が咲いているの発見。まだ1月の頭なのに春だねえ(´∀`*) 今年もよろしくお願いしますm(_ _)m
wwhqs0i.jpg

新年あけましておめでとうございます.

I hate osechi ryori and being stuck with the in-laws but it is nice to have a few days off from work.

お約束の切り返しだけど「あけた」のは新年ではなく旧年だよ;p

urfe

お約束の切り返しだけど「あけた」のは新年ではなく旧年だよ;p

そしたら年明けの年って旧年のことかね。休み明け、梅雨明けならそのような考え方か。

今度聞かれたら言っとく

urfe

Had a day at work last week, but today feels like the first real day.

Good to get back into the routine and tackle all work that needs to be done.

Hoping for no more 新年会.

Xiao Hu

Hey guys, I wanted to surprise someone living in Japan with a flower delivery. Is it normal that prices are that high for a simple bouquet (7000¥)?

Somebody please help me order my first non-NTSC game device and answer some questions for me. I'm hoping someone with knowledge of buying games in Japan can help.

Right now I'm still in the states, but I'm moving to Tokyo on February 1. With Switch being region free, I wanted to go out and get a Switch on launch night in Tokyo since I'll be able to import/play more language-intensive games in English on it. But I have questions:

- Pardon the ignorance, but is there a chance of me grabbing one at the "official Nintendo store" in Tokyo (if there is one)? Has such a place begun taking preorders? If so, can someone link me if they aren't out?

- If an official Nintendo store is sold out/unavailable, can anyone help me find a store in Tokyo from which I can preorder (and pick up in store on launch night)?

- If I buy a Japanese copy ofBotW, what are the odds that there is an option for Japanese audio only? Like, I'd like English subtitles and UI text, but the Japanese dub. Is this likely only possible in them a non-Japanese copy of the game? I really wanna just take the thing home and play Zelda, but I don't know if this will be possible with a Japanese copy since I kinda assumed the only English option with it would be the dub.

I would be sooooo appreciative of anyone who could help! I have no experience buying games anywhere but in the US so I'm pretty helpless here in terms of knowing what to do.

Okay, so this might be a bit of a stretch, but any of you have Spotify? There's been this Coke On song during one of their ads, with a female singer and the lyrics for "Happy days are coming to you", but I can't seem to find it :/

Is there a way to import your trains and attendants to the US because I don't think I can go back to the MBTA after staying here.

If you throw in heated toilet seats I'll give you our deliciously fattening foods.

Somebody please help me order my first non-NTSC game device and answer some questions for me. I'm hoping someone with knowledge of buying games in Japan can help.

Right now I'm still in the states, but I'm moving to Tokyo on February 1. With Switch being region free, I wanted to go out and get a Switch on launch night in Tokyo since I'll be able to import/play more language-intensive games in English on it. But I have questions:

- Pardon the ignorance, but is there a chance of me grabbing one at the "official Nintendo store" in Tokyo (if there is one)? Has such a place begun taking preorders? If so, can someone link me if they aren't out?

- If an official Nintendo store is sold out/unavailable, can anyone help me find a store in Tokyo from which I can preorder (and pick up in store on launch night)?

- If I buy a Japanese copy ofBotW, what are the odds that there is an option for Japanese audio only? Like, I'd like English subtitles and UI text, but the Japanese dub. Is this likely only possible in them a non-Japanese copy of the game? I really wanna just take the thing home and play Zelda, but I don't know if this will be possible with a Japanese copy since I kinda assumed the only English option with it would be the dub.

I would be sooooo appreciative of anyone who could help! I have no experience buying games anywhere but in the US so I'm pretty helpless here in terms of knowing what to do.

Most stores do preorders instore if you want physical pick up. Ordering online would be the other bet if they are still available. (Amazon Japan has been sold out of PS4 pro since preorders officially went up, but can be found in some stores now.) There will most likely be the classic big line ups outside major electronic and gaming stores for the new console so going out the night of launch will most likely be futile. Most if not all places, will not do a midnight launch, it just isn't really a thing here. Gotta wake up early launch day and get in line.

Sounds like you will be here a month before the thing drops so... use that chance to find a place to preorder if possible or somewhere to line up at. Ask the staff and be nice ect.

As for chances it will come with Japanese dub and English subs. No idea but my theory is 150% doubt it, simply cause its Nintendo. Sony has a handful of Japanese games that are dub with subtitles when used on a PS4 set to English (Metal Gear 5) and other games have their English dub/subs on the data as well and with automatically choose depending on the console language setting. Nintendo is just now doing to region free thing so I can't imagine they will have extra languages for the Japanese versions sadly.

Never know though. Not sure on the official Nintendo store thing though. I think one exists in Tokyo... but I don't live there so can't help with that.

Most stores do preorders instore if you want physical pick up. Ordering online would be the other bet if they are still available. (Amazon Japan has been sold out of PS4 pro since preorders officially went up, but can be found in some stores now.) There will most likely be the classic big line ups outside major electronic and gaming stores for the new console so going out the night of launch will most likely be futile. Most if not all places, will not do a midnight launch, it just isn't really a thing here. Gotta wake up early launch day and get in line.

Sounds like you will be here a month before the thing drops so... use that chance to find a place to preorder if possible or somewhere to line up at. Ask the staff and be nice ect.

As for chances it will come with Japanese dub and English subs. No idea but my theory is 150% doubt it, simply cause its Nintendo. Sony has a handful of Japanese games that are dub with subtitles when used on a PS4 set to English (Metal Gear 5) and other games have their English dub/subs on the data as well and with automatically choose depending on the console language setting. Nintendo is just now doing to region free thing so I can't imagine they will have extra languages for the Japanese versions sadly.

Never know though. Not sure on the official Nintendo store thing though. I think one exists in Tokyo... but I don't live there so can't help with that.

Thanks so much for the reply!

Sounds like I'll just need to find a store where I can get a preorder then! If I can find a store in the city that has a website that'll allow me to preorder online ahead of time and pick up in store, I think that'd be ideal. Or if supplies aren't so tight, I'll just find a store and preorder in person when I get there. Guess I have to import a copy of Zelda, though. And any other language-intensive games.

I really appreciate the response!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Thanks so much for the reply!

Sounds like I'll just need to find a store where I can get a preorder then! If I can find a store in the city that has a website that'll allow me to preorder online ahead of time and pick up in store, I think that'd be ideal. Or if supplies aren't so tight, I'll just find a store and preorder in person when I get there. Guess I have to import a copy of Zelda, though. And any other language-intensive games.

I really appreciate the response!
I think it's safe to assume that if a store has a site where you can preorder, those preorders will be gone in minutes. Regular stores are probably your only chance and even those might be out on the first date, given supposed low first shipment for the Switch.

Porcile

Be prepared to pay for it all up front in one hit. I've never pre-ordered a gaming system or a game here but I paid the full price for the Famicom Mini I reserved at Yodobashi. Of course I just walked in and picked it up on release day no problem, so I think it's worth doing. Will be doing the same for Switch at my local gaming shop.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Be prepared to pay for it all up front in one hit. I've never pre-ordered a gaming system or a game here but I paid the full price for the Famicom Mini I reserved at Yodobashi. Of course I just walked in and picked it up on release day no problem, so I think it's worth doing. Will be doing the same for Switch at my local gaming shop.
Paying full price is only a thing in the big stores like Yodobashi/Bic etc. Never had to do it in Geo, Tsutaya is probably the same. That said the latter require a T-Point/Ponta cards with a valid Japanese address, so a big store might be the way to go.

I think it's safe to assume that if a store has a site where you can preorder, those preorders will be gone in minutes. Regular stores are probably your only chance and even those might be out on the first date, given supposed low first shipment for the Switch.

Right, I figured as much. I'm kinda worried about getting one, to be honest. If I can find a Tokyo store that'll let me partially pay for my preorder now, I'd like to do so just to guarantee myself a console.

I can definitely pay it all off immediately if necessary. I'm hoping that the month of February should be enough time to secure a preorder.

MightyKAC

Okay I guess you could file this one under #FirstworldJapanProblems.

After looking around I've found a decent house to rent in Japan.

Close to where I work, close to the train station, price is within my range.

Just one problem...

Out of the four rooms the place has, not one, but TWO are fucking tatami rooms!!!

What the hell am I supposed to do with 2 fucking tatami rooms???

One I could deal with, but 2 is just WAY too much of a hassle for me.

It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that if I damage or spill anything at all on them I can kiss my security deposit goodbye.

That means I can't entertain guests or put them up in about half of the fucking rooms in my house :(

Okay Okay I know I'm over reacting but DAMN. This house had sooooo much going for it but I simply do NOT want the hassle of dealing with this in a place that I live in.

If anyone has any tips on ways to make this situation a bit less of an ass pain please do let me know.

/rant

Aizo

Banned
People I know put carpet down. Go to your nearest home goods-like megacenter, give them the dimensions of the room, and get carpet cut up to fit in there to lay it down.

Ayumi

People I know put carpet down. Go to your nearest home goods-like megacenter, give them the dimensions of the room, and get carpet cut up to fit in there to lay it down.
I heard that requires you to air them every few months, especially during hot weather, to prevent stuff like dustmites. He might be actually able to remove and store the tatami mats somewhere until he moves, but god knows what lives under them.

MightyKAC

Thanks for all the replies guys.

In the end I think I'll just have to keep looking for a better deal for my money.

But man, I forgot how much of a hassle house hunting is in Japan.

Gacha-pin

;_;
The song is so catchy too, but googling results in no results for it

my googling result
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/DadaD
https://youtu.be/awPSaRJn_MM

Kate[編集]
りそなグループ「人の想い」篇 歌唱担当 (2011年)
ニッポンハム「美ノ国」篇 歌唱担当 (2011年)
24Hコスメ「ボルニカル」篇 歌唱担当 (2015年)
サラダクラブ「10品目のサラダ レタスやパプリカ」篇 歌唱担当 (2015年)
24Hコスメ「チャンミンは突然に春 篇」歌唱担当 (2016年)
コカ・コーラ web CM「新サービスCoke ON」歌唱担当 (2016年)

Probably this?

I got an alert from Google this morning saying flights from O'Hare to Narita non stop dropped from $1800 to $800. As I was coordinating with a friend on a date it went from non-stop to having a layover on the return flight. Then the price just shot back up to $1800. There was good prices for like a goddamn four hour window that I missed. Hopefully they drop back down next Thursday and I'll snatch one right away.

edit - Whoops! This should have been in the travel thread!

Fugu

I have a small question. I had to leave Japan unexpectedly last year due to a bit of an emergency and had expected to come back by now but haven't been able to do so. The problem is that I didn't designate a tax representative and I worked for about six months without getting any wages withheld. I didn't make a lot of money and I owe less than 1万円. I have no problem paying the money but I'm wondering, considering the legendary capacity of the Japanese bureaucracy for red tape, if it's worth the effort of attempting to pay it back on time having not done the requisite work to pay it from out of the country or to just suck it up and pay it when I inevitably return plus interest. I suppose the third option is to just... not pay it but with the amount being so small I'd take the hit for the peace of mind.

It's an odd question, I know; I'm hoping that by some chance that someone here has dealt with a similar situation. It is also worth noting that I'm Canadian and will be filing income taxes here and I'm wholly unclear on how the presence of a tax treaty affects this, if at all.

lupinko

I got renewed for another (and my final) year on JET. I'm trying for JLPT N2 this July, I was wondering what are my options. And I'd like to do something else after this is done. I started looking on gaijinpot and daijob, and I do have friends with business connections in the Tokyo area.

Because it's either I want to continue living abroad and making something of myself here or go back home (that pension cash out should make a nice big dent on my student loan when received).

Either way I start from square one after this.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I got renewed for another (and my final) year on JET. I'm trying for JLPT N2 this July, I was wondering what are my options. And I'd like to do something else after this is done. I started looking on gaijinpot and daijob, and I do have friends with business connections in the Tokyo area.

Because it's either I want to continue living abroad and making something of myself here or go back home (that pension cash out should make a nice big dent on my student loan when received).

It really depends on what skills you have.
If you have an engineering degree or something like that, JLPT2 should be enough to get a job here, I assume.

If JET is the most significant thing you can put on your CV on the other hand, getting a job in translation/localization is probably the easiest thing to do (aside from getting a job as a teacher in a language school, of course).
If you want to do that, JLPT2 might not be enough, but on the other hand it really depends on the employer and the company.
I remember interviewing a few people whose JET contract was near the end in my previous job and Japanese not good enough was kind of a deal breaker.

Hoping someone can help me!

I'm traveling to Japan on February 1 as a tourist to visit my friend for a month in Tokyo (I'll be staying with his family). However, I'm also slated to begin my job as an ALT with Interac on March 17. I've arranged with my employer to have my CoE delivered to my friend's residence in Tokyo (in the beginning part of February), at which point the plan is to travel to Seoul to get my work visa processed. Then I'll come back to Japan and remain with my friend until my job begins.

I've notified the Japanese Embassies in NY (the one with jurisdiction over me) and Seoul, and I plan to call the Immigration authorities to inform them as well. Is there anything else I should do? I know I should be fine entering as a tourist, going to Seoul, and re-entering as an Instructor with my visa, but it feels like there's some formal process I should undertake to make sure this goes smoothly. Am I being paranoid? I know I'll just have to explain the situation to the Immigration officials when I land, but this plan seems pretty kosher to me.

Magni

Hi JapanGAF - quick question: does anyone here live here but make money only abroad? How do taxes work out?

I moved here last year, but kept all my financial accounts in the US, and am being paid to my US bank account (I work remotely). My wife covers anything that requires domestic bank payments, otherwise I usually pay with my US credit card. So I have no real financial footprint in the country.

I've seen that the only thing I need to declare is what I bring into the country, meaning any cash I bring in or withdraw from an ATM here? That seems too good to be true. Anyone have good resources on taxes for foreigners? Thanks!

Hoping someone can help me!

I'm traveling to Japan on February 1 as a tourist to visit my friend for a month in Tokyo (I'll be staying with his family). However, I'm also slated to begin my job as an ALT with Interac on March 17. I've arranged with my employer to have my CoE delivered to my friend's residence in Tokyo (in the beginning part of February), at which point the plan is to travel to Seoul to get my work visa processed. Then I'll come back to Japan and remain with my friend until my job begins.

I've notified the Japanese Embassies in NY (the one with jurisdiction over me) and Seoul, and I plan to call the Immigration authorities to inform them as well. Is there anything else I should do? I know I should be fine entering as a tourist, going to Seoul, and re-entering as an Instructor with my visa, but it feels like there's some formal process I should undertake to make sure this goes smoothly. Am I being paranoid? I know I'll just have to explain the situation to the Immigration officials when I land, but this plan seems pretty kosher to me.

FWIW, I received my CoE while already in Japan on a tourist stamp, and got my spousal visa at the Immigration office in Tokyo. From my experience with Japanese immigration, they're pretty chill usually.

Fugu

Hi JapanGAF - quick question: does anyone here live here but make money only abroad? How do taxes work out?

I moved here last year, but kept all my financial accounts in the US, and am being paid to my US bank account (I work remotely). My wife covers anything that requires domestic bank payments, otherwise I usually pay with my US credit card. So I have no real financial footprint in the country.

I've seen that the only thing I need to declare is what I bring into the country, meaning any cash I bring in or withdraw from an ATM here? That seems too good to be true. Anyone have good resources on taxes for foreigners? Thanks!
I posted above about my situation and it has left me in a position of having read an ungodly amount about the Japanese tax system. I'm not an expert but, as far as I understand, the principal component in determining whether money made abroad is taxable (and how much of it is taxable) is your residency status.

If you've been there less than a year you have a good chance of being declared a non-resident but if your wife lives here it is likely that you will be deemed a non-permanent resident instead, which will require you to pay income tax on whatever money you bring into or spend in Japan. If you can make a case for non-residency, however, you don't have to pay taxes on any of it.

Magni

I posted above about my situation and it has left me in a position of having read an ungodly amount about the Japanese tax system. I'm not an expert but, as far as I understand, the principal component in determining whether money made abroad is taxable (and how much of it is taxable) is your residency status.

If you've been there less than a year you have a good chance of being declared a non-resident but if your wife lives here it is likely that you will be deemed a non-permanent resident instead, which will require you to pay income tax on whatever money you bring into or spend in Japan. If you can make a case for non-residency, however, you don't have to pay taxes on any of it.

Oh, I'm definitely a resident (since last August officially). So from what you're saying, I should add up ¥ purchases on my credit card and ¥ withdrawals on my debit card? That seems a lot more reasonable (my first understanding was that it was just the withdrawals - which as I said seemed too good to be true).

Ideally I'd meet with a tax lawyer, anyone have some good recommendations?

Hey I apologize for being that guy who drops in with the occasional question, but I've got another. I'm trying to find the service records for my grandfather, so is the only way to do that to go to NIDS? Or is there any way to request a record from outside of Japan?

urfe

Isn't there a lot of job fairs specifically for people that finish their 5 years on JET? I know a few JETS that got into international sections of big companies. Not sure if it was N2 or N1 that they had. More importantly that either is probably being able to speak in Japanese at the job fairs.

lupinko

Isn't there a lot of job fairs specifically for people that finish their 5 years on JET? I know a few JETS that got into international sections of big companies. Not sure if it was N2 or N1 that they had. More importantly that either is probably being able to speak in Japanese at the job fairs.

Yeah there's a big after JET conference every year. I'll look into that too when it comes next year for me, I'm taking this time now to decide what I want to do. I love living in Japan and want to make a future here but if my only option is English teacher, then I'd be better off going home. The positive is that I know what I want to do if I should go back home.

I do have Japanese friends in Tokyo so I'll be speaking to them as well. I wonder if any JapanGAF has any advice that is not related to English teaching. If it wasn't for last year, this would have been my final year on the program.

Porcile

If you like teaching then why don't you go home and get a teaching qualification in a subject you have a skill in and then come back? On my last trip back home this year I met a couple of people who did exactly that. Started our ESL and then moved into other teaching areas.

lupinko

If you like teaching then why don't you go home and get a teaching qualification in a subject you have a skill in and then come back? On my last trip back home this year I met a couple of people who did exactly that. Started our ESL and then moved into other teaching areas.

Oh I'm done with teaching, if it wasn't for last year, like I said I would be out of here. I know I'm great at it but it's not for me.

It really depends on what skills you have.
If you have an engineering degree or something like that, JLPT2 should be enough to get a job here, I assume.

If JET is the most significant thing you can put on your CV on the other hand, getting a job in translation/localization is probably the easiest thing to do (aside from getting a job as a teacher in a language school, of course).
If you want to do that, JLPT2 might not be enough, but on the other hand it really depends on the employer and the company.
I remember interviewing a few people whose JET contract was near the end in my previous job and Japanese not good enough was kind of a deal breaker.

Oh I know it's quite slim pickings if you don't have any technical work.

I actually did and am doing a lot of community work and project that involved not just a municipal government but two federal governments.

I have zero interest in teaching or localization/translation work.

My Japanese friends do have ties to industries I'm interested in. It's a lot to stomach right now for me.

Fugu

Oh, I'm definitely a resident (since last August officially). So from what you're saying, I should add up ¥ purchases on my credit card and ¥ withdrawals on my debit card? That seems a lot more reasonable (my first understanding was that it was just the withdrawals - which as I said seemed too good to be true).

Ideally I'd meet with a tax lawyer, anyone have some good recommendations?
If you have been living in Japan for five or less of the last ten years, you are a non-permanent resident for the purposes of tax, which means you only pay income tax on the portion of your income that is remitted in Japan (so purchases on credit would certainly count too).

EDIT: It's important to note that residency for tax purposes is not the same as visa status and that it is still possible for "residents" to obtain non-residency status for the purpose of tax; if you have been living in Japan for less than a year this option is possibly open to you.

If you've been there for more than five of the last ten, it's all taxable.

Depending on where you live (and how good your Japanese is) the best way to work this out is to just go to the tax office itself. They were very helpful to me.

Darksol

May just have just landed an international academy job.

I'm happy that I've never done eikaiwa work, and that my first English teaching job in Japan was in Tokyo elementary schools. However, this seems like a nice step up and would have me teaching multiple subjects.

Top Bottom