• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Skinpop

what are some good online retailers for furniture?
I need a big side-board/cabinet for the kitchen. I've looked at bellemaison.co.jp, nitori and creema so far.

Aizo

Banned
Be a cheapo and buy stuff on Amazon. I've actually gotten good things, but it is a bit worrisome to blind buy in a sense.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
what are some good online retailers for furniture?
I need a big side-board/cabinet for the kitchen. I've looked at bellemaison.co.jp, nitori and creema so far.
There's no Nitori anywhere near you? (I think IKEAs are more rare)
Like Aizo said, Amazon might be cheaper, but when it comes to furniture I think seeing it beforehand is a good idea.

Skinpop

There's no Nitori anywhere near you? (I think IKEAs are more rare)
Like Aizo said, Amazon might be cheaper, but when it comes to furniture I think seeing it beforehand is a good idea.

There is but I've got enough of their stuff and want something nicer for a side-board. I looked at amazon but most of the stuff looked really cheap. Agree on seeing beforehand but I'm a bit exhausted from looking at and buying so much furniture so now I just want to get it over with. I thought I had enough space but after buying all my cookwares I only have room for half of it :/

I'll happily recommend http://www.bellemaison.jp though: cheap home delivery, good prices and mostly good looking furniture. Unfortunately no sideboard that fit my needs.

Aizo

Banned
Definitely true. However, I've been lucky. I bought a couch, TV stand, bookshelves, tables, chairs, bed... I'm sure there's been more. Anyway, I was happy with every single one. Just reading reviews and being lucky haha.

Dartastic

Tokyo gaf, I'm visiting from Portland, OR. Anyone like soccer? Want to go to a game with me on the 16th?

KT Slime, you interested? I think there's a J-League game then we can go to.

KtSlime

Tokyo gaf, I'm visiting from Portland, OR. Anyone like soccer? Want to go to a game with me on the 16th?

KT Slime, you interested? I think there's a J-League game then we can go to.

Thanks for the offer, but I can't get out of my prior engagement.

Earthquake: Felt it, bad timing too, I was taking a drink of coffee from my mug.

Fisico

So I did went to QB House a few hours ago.
Since I wasn't confident at all in my japanese I only asked to have 5cm cut, because you can't go wrong with that, can you?

It turned out pretty fine, I was blind during the whole thing (without my glasses I can't see much) so I'm pleasantly surprised.
The guy who took care of me only asked two basic things and it went well taking 10mn only as scheduled.

However my friend with me who is much more better at japanese (well he studied the language as his major for 5 straight years) asked for more specific things and it ended up rather bad for him lol.

It may have a lot to do with the hairdresser though, I'll see that the next time in ~two months I guess :p

Futaba

So I did went to QB House a few hours ago.
Since I wasn't confident at all in my japanese I only asked to have 5cm cut, because you can't go wrong with that, can you?

It turned out pretty fine, I was blind during the whole thing (without my glasses I can't see much) so I'm pleasantly surprised.
The guy who took care of me only asked two basic things and it went well taking 10mn only as scheduled.

However my friend with me who is much more better at japanese (well he studied the language as his major for 5 straight years) asked for more specific things and it ended up rather bad for him lol.

It may have a lot to do with the hairdresser though, I'll see that the next time in ~two months I guess :p
Easier method is to just find a picture of a haircut you want and show them, cant go wrong then (unless the person doing your hair is a trainee)

Fisico

Easier method is to just find a picture of a haircut you want and show them, cant go wrong then (unless the person doing your hair is a trainee)

Not even sure how to find that, even in my own country going to a hairdresser was awkward which is why I often ended up asking a friend of mine of someone of my family to take care of that :p

As for the app linked before (I don't remember if it was you?) I was unable to dl it no matter what I tried on my phone, it should be doable but I'm not gonna try for a few hours just to get a cheap 10mn haircut.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Enkais are something else.

I've only been blackout drunk once before in my life. This was the second time. They just do not stop pouring you drinks. I woke up with my Vita in the kitchen (wtf?), a huge puddle of water on my floor, and an onigiri I apparently bought and left next to my futon.

Lesson learned: drink slowly at enkais, or you will die.

Fucking hell no. Hub lol.

The place was called Malins Fish and Chips. It was a little pricey but the quality was decent.

Saw that place. Might try it tomorrow before going to ultra.

But having fun, being from the sticks in Kyushu having all these African dudes come up to me with the "hey brother come drink at this place" is funny and a bit annoying since I don't like rolling around in foreigner clubs and bars. But went one street over to where all the Japanese people hangout and found a nice club with a ton of party people, not big but everyone was nice.

Tonight went to shibuya and tried Alcatraz ER which was fun. Nice staff too. About to go back out... Maybe get a kebab haha, the kebab place closed in Kagoshima @.@

Porcile

I'm not sure what I find more insulting, the fact that you think I would recommend Hub's food to someone or that I would even recommend it as a place to go in the first place. Their food is worse than Wetherspoons in the UK. How is that possible?

Hub is like the gaijin equivalent of a soapland for Japanese people. Just a sad, lonely, desperate place you go to when your worth as a human being has diminished to the point where you'll do anything for a bit of human contact. Yes, I went to a moderately less sleazy one in a university once and it was still rubbish.

If I want to hang out with mates and enjoy a beer then I'll go to a nice craft place, a local bar, or just get the nama beer from some yakiniku restaurant while enjoying some actual good food.

zoukka

Is the gundam statue gone at the moment D:

Now that it's raining are the any big malls or something like that to go with a taxi to just hang out and spend time/eat in?

Aizo

Banned
Is the gundam statue gone at the moment D:
Nope. Opposite, actually. There's a new one almost completely built. I was at a friend's concert on Thursday in Odaiba, so I walked over to check it out after the show. Here's a pic I took.
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJsS18jVYAIoTOE.jpg[/IMG]

Porcile

Y'all spent the last couple pages talking about the fat content of egg yolks and 1000 yen haircuts. I don't know where the line is these days.

zoukka

Nope. Opposite, actually. There's a new one almost completely built. I was at a friend's concert on Thursday in Odaiba, so I walked over to check it out after the show. Here's a pic I took.
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJsS18jVYAIoTOE.jpg[/IMG]

Awesome!

Yesterday was my first day in here, went to have Okonomiyaki (it was ok), then a pool/darts bar, visited Don Quijote and bought some sex toys lol (I love how cool Japanese people are about them!). I was awakw for 32 hours because I couldn't sleep during the flight from finland to japan...

zoukka

Sounds like you didn't have the right okonomiyaki, then.
Did you just move here?

Ten day business trip. The food was fine don't get me wrong, it just wasn't my thing it seems. The bacon and shrimps were nice but the "beef" seemed to be just broth in gelatinous form.

Just realized it's a thread for people living here my bad.

Aizo

Banned
There's actually a thread specifically for travel in Japan here. Eat more okonomiyaki somewhere better, and have a good trip!

urfe

Anyone want to go to Hub tonight? ˚✧₊⁎❝᷀ົཽ≀ˍ̮ ❝᷀ົཽ⁎⁺˳✧༚

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm always surprised to hear about foreigner's love for Roppongi. I haven't visited it that often, but if asked, I'd choose literally any other popular part of Tokyo, like Ikebukuro, Shibuya etc. for both day and night fun.
Not trying to be mean here, I'm genuinely surprised what people find so appealing about that place. Please, enlighten me.

Aizo

Banned
I'm always surprised to hear about foreigner's love for Roppongi. I haven't visited it that often, but if asked, I'd choose literally any other popular part of Tokyo, like Ikebukuro, Shibuya etc. for both day and night fun.
Not trying to be mean here, I'm genuinely surprised what people find so appealing about that place. Please, enlighten me.
I think it's probably most appealing to people who are into the club scene. I've heard so many horror stories from my friends who go there, though. I think many of the foreigners that hang there like to meet Japanese girls, and the Japanese people that hang there like to meet foreign potential romantic partners. I only go to Roppongi for concerts and art exhibits, personally.

For nightlife, I am way more down with Shinjuku and Western Tokyo.
I work there. I can introduce everyone to super cute J girls that hang there looking for foreign boyfriends. They tell me they wanna have mixed babies. Anybody down?

I think it's probably most appealing to people who are into the club scene. I've heard so many horror stories from my friends who go there, though. I think many of the foreigners that hang there like to meet Japanese girls, and the Japanese people that hang there like to meet foreign potential romantic partners. I only go to Roppongi for concerts and art exhibits, personally.

For nightlife, I am way more down with Shinjuku and Western Tokyo.

Yeah, club life. Plenty of clubs, and they offer really cheap (and actually quite legit) all you can drink. Don't know if it's just "foreigner's love", went clubbing with Japanese people and their first choice was Roppongi.

Porcile

Girls that go to Hub are dirty!! And by that I mean the layer of soil which covers everyone because of the nearby cemetery.

Darksol

*Looks outside, sees typhoon* Nah, I'm good.

Pussy. It's where tourists and military dudes go to try and pick up chicks. Roppongi is pretty cool during the day; the art galleries are nice and you don't run into the same sort of crowd.

Girls that go to Hub are dirty!! And by that I mean the layer of soil which covers everyone because of the nearby cemetery.

Am I thinking of a different Hub? Isn't that just the British pub chain? I have one outside my house that is definitely not cemetery adjacent.

Aizo

Banned
Then you... don't live near a cemetery? Huh. I can't imagine living like that. I love hearing the scratching on my window and worrying that moment will be the last before the souls let loose from Hell's fierce grasp consume my lifeforce and drape me in the cold embrace of endless night.

Something that you have to realize is that at least 70% of Porcile's information about and opinion on things in Japan as relate to foreigners is filtered through /r/japancirclejerk, despite actually being a foreigner living in Japan himself.

Porcile

Ehh japancirclejerk is full of nazis and alt-right freaks. I don't read it anymore, I assume now it's much worse than it was. The racist and misogynistic language was out of control over there.

Anyway, I obviously do all the foreigner things that foreigners do. It's not like I'm rolling around in a benz.

urfe

went to a decent craft beer place in Kinshicho, only to realize I'm more of a highball guy.

Typhoon was pretty crazy last night. Winds were intense.

Also, I tried posting a reply regarding Hub three times last night, and none went through? Was only I having that problem?

Top Bottom