• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan opens its first (esports) gym

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/56980142

Do you even WASD?

_118318006_mediaitem118318005.jpg

Are you looking to level up your gaming skills? Do you want to impress your friends with new tricks? Well look no further that this new esports gym.

The space in Tokyo, Japan, is due to open on 19 May and will be available to all gamers whether they are a professional or an amateur, the gym will help you improve their game.

There are coaches around to give advice too and it has been designed to enjoy "esports more seriously" according to the Esportsgym owners.

There will be lots of gaming PCs installed with popular games including Puyo Puyo and spaces where players can calm down after competitive matches.

There will be support staff to lend a hand to those new to gaming PCs. Whilst those who are more experienced can pay for coaches from Crest Gaming, Glory be esports and Delta who are all championship teams.

Memberships start from 5,500 yen (£36.20) per month where you can use the PCs every day up to 12,100 yen (£80) which gets you two lessons a month with a professional player.

_118317998_gettyimages-1231895612.jpg

Esports gym Japan is not the first of its kind. T1 in Seoul, South Korea is a top organisation where professional and new gamers can train.

The Nike sponsored gym has support staff, nutritionists and English language classes. Coaches help players improve their game ready for their next match.

Esports is huge business and market research company Ovum have predicted that the value of the global esports market will reach $1.9 billion (£720m) in 2022.

This is actually shocking to me because I always assumed Korea, Japan to have those.
Esports hasn't really been a thing in Japan until very recently. Local gambling laws didn't allow tournaments to pay out cash prizes (still don't AFAIK, but they came up with some sort of licensing scheme to get around it), which essentially kept the country from developing a self-sustaining local pro scene.

Last edited:

Hydelol

Banned
Makes me wonder if most video game players these days are in for the glory of achieving somehting (which 99% will not) instead of just playing for fun. Looking at the images it's all about Mobas, Shooters and stuff, which is logical since it an "eport gym" (or rather an internet cafe? lol). Can't image that most people have so much fun playing LoL day in, day out and I say that as someone who grew up playing Counter Strike 1.6 day in day out.

SirTerry-T

Hang on, it's sponsored by Nike?

Nike as in that company that makes all those trainers and stuff that people wear while they are running and jumping around? Like, you know proper sports???

I'm sure I must be missing something here but the irony of Nike sponsoring something as sedentary as an "E-Sports gym" hasn't escaped me.

Top Bottom