• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan reacts to The Power Ranger movie trailers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2017/03/japans-reaction-to-the-power-rangers-movie-trailers/

Power Rangers has long used the Japanese Super Sentai action franchise as the basis for its suits, monsters, robots, and action footage. The first season of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers used footage and suits from Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger, the 16th Super Sentai series. Seasons 2 and 3 of Power Rangers kept the suits but updated the robots and monsters, using footage from Gosei Sentai Dairanger and Ninja Sentai Kakuranger respectively.

”The sense of money [in this movie] is incredible but it doesn't feel like a Sentai at all. It seems more like an American comic book hero movie than a Sentai product."

”The special effects, camera work, and directing is overwhelmingly good over there. Japan has been making Sentai for over 40 years but maybe we should follow them a bit. In a few years, I think the designs of the robots and suits will be reflected in the Japanese Sentai."

”I would like for Japanese special effects to learn from overseas productions. The camera work, CG, and writing are inferior here."

”It seems cool that Japanese special effects culture will influence and evolve overseas but I don't want it to come to Japan. I would like them to create a unique Power Rangers in the US."

”It seems much more interesting than Japanese Sentai."

”Are Power Rangers acknowledged as Japanese tokusatsu in the US? I think it just looks like a CG Hollywood action movie. It looks PachiRimish (Pacific Rim-ish) but interesting. Even if you criticize it before it's out, everyone is going to go see it. Honestly, I want them to stop this crossover stuff like in the MCU and Godzilla."

”Overall, it looks amazing but it doesn't seem anything like Sentai. The suits are unattractive and the mecha (robot) looks far too mechanical."

”There are a lot of things I would like to say but the number one mystery is the mammoth's eight legs and the triceratops' six legs."

”The CG level is indeed high. I want Japan to do it like this as well."

”Hollywood's quality is just too high."

”This is no good. it relies too much on CG."

”It's too realistic, there are too many settings. I don't think kids will understand it."

”It seems like Toei's Sentai series with the fights but the story gives it a serious sense like Kamen Rider or Ultraman."

”Hey, this is the song from Saints Row the Third."

”Power means chikara in Japanese, that's why Kanye's ”Power" is there lol"

”Do those people really like Zyuranger that much?"

”Why is Zyuranger the motif?"

”Why is America remaking Zyuranger?"

”This seems interesting, doesn't it? However, comparing it with Zyuranger makes me afraid programs mocking Japan's Super Sentai will be made."

”I think it's good that [the number of] people interested in Power Rangers will increase but I don't want people to say ‘it's cool, unlike Japan's Sentai'"

”I think this is like the Kamen Rider and Ranger shows [that are] on in the mornings but a little more for adults."

”I've been told that it's defiling Sentai heroes but I think it looks pretty cool. I want it to succeed so the world can know more about Japan's heroes."

”Yeah, well, it has special effects, so that's why it's a tokusatsu (special effects) work. However, if you asked ”Is this a Super Sentai?", ”It's not" is what I'd have to answer"

”It's kinda sad that it isn't well known [that] Power Rangers was made in Japan."

”I would get up early every Sunday morning if it looked like this.

”At least it looks better than Dragon Ball from a few years ago, right?"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah despite what many weaboos and purists claim, Japan doesn't really scorn Power Rangers. Hell during financial reports, they use Power Rangers than Super Sentai for labeling (most likely because it is an international report).

Still not gonna trust that movie though.

Boss Doggie

I had to Google what that was but I remember the green ranger being obscenely cool when I was in 1st grade.

Yeah basically Burai the Dragon Ranger, Tommy's equivalent, wasn't relegated as a common character (sixth rangers wouldn't even appear prominently in the opening - as in credited - until Wild Force's equivalent, and not with the team pose at the end of the opening until Mega Force's equivalent!), often only appearing scarcely. Tommy as a Green Ranger meanwhile, while uncommon, still had more appearances. And of course Tommy as a character remained for a long time and even returned in Dino Thunder.

tkscz

Yeah basically Burai the Dragon Ranger, Tommy's equivalent, wasn't relegated as a common character (sixth rangers wouldn't even appear prominently in the opening - as in credited - until Wild Force's equivalent, and not with the team pose at the end of the opening until Mega Force's equivalent!), often only appearing scarcely. Tommy as a Green Ranger meanwhile, while uncommon, still had more appearances. And of course Tommy as a character remained for a long time and even returned in Dino Thunder.

I've always notice that Tommy would use the American costume (more real looking costume as I put it as a kid) than all the others. Wouldn't be until I was older when I found out it was because there wasn't as much footage of him and his character was the most popular.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I shook my head at the "Isn't Morphin' Time from Go-Busters" comment

But yeah, Japan is actually pretty cool with PR.

Man oh man.

I know right? Especially since Zyuranger was a fairly forgettable season in the franchise's 41+ year history. It must baffle them that it's so popular overseas.

Kickz

I've always notice that Tommy would use the American costume (more real looking costume as I put it as a kid) than all the others. Wouldn't be until I was older when I found out it was because there wasn't as much footage of him and his character was the most popular.

Well damn, I didn't know that

Slayven

yeah his counter part died pretty quickly after his entry.

BatDan

You can tell it's original Green Ranger footage from the armor. In original footage it's felt, in Zyuranger it's plaster.

Boss Doggie

I love that they admit the camp and low budgetiness are part of the toku charm.

of course

it's why I shook my head in a thread before about the final trailer, where someone commented on the new suits looking "campy" compared to the TOTALLY COOL SERIOUS MOVIE SUITS, like he totally missed the point

even the coolest tokusatsu suits like in Garo, or Go Busters, or Faiz, have a feel of campiness in them

hell even the crew knows the whole camp appeal

qN6dcAv.gif
rarAsap.gif
u83MwDM.gif

with that said they make a better Adam Sandler movie than Adam Sandler

NandoGip

OMG the DB quote :( :(

So sad that it's true.

Regarding the other comments, I'm surprised to see their feedback. Japanese people seem nice.

Boss Doggie

OMG the DB quote :( :(

So sad that it's true.

Regarding the other comments, I'm surprised to see their feedback. Japanese people seem nice.

Whenever someone (i.e. a weaboo or purist) claims that "Japan hates american product", it's most likely inverse.

”Do those people really like Zyuranger that much?"

”Why is Zyuranger the motif?"

”Why is America remaking Zyuranger?"

I've been told before that Zyuranger is not a particularly well received series of Sentai in Japan so these ones amused me.
It would be more fun if they tracked down some actual Zyuranger-specific fans for opinions but I guess Ken is busy and Haruto is on vacation.

I've watched a bunch of it though and I think it's fun. Geki and Goushi are bosses.

VeeP

Yo, that Saints Row the Third quote lmaooo. What song are they talking about by the way? Power I'm guessing?

Eh seems fine, i watched the show as a kid and liked it then but i have no great love for attatchment for the series, this seems like modern super hero movie number 26, seems very safe, by the numbers, too serious, i would love if they leaned hard into the stupid ass campy aspects that made me enjoy the show so much as a kid. Kind of like lego batman, but from what I understand lions gate and saban want a franchi$e.

Kreed

Whenever someone (i.e. a weaboo or purist) claims that "Japan hates american product", it's most likely inverse.

It's like asking someone in the US who is a fan of a specific US produced show or film if they "hate" the Japanese adaption of the US product. Not only will they probably not care, likely the US fan will be surprised the Japanese adaption even exists.

In regards to the CG and the quality being too high or seeming that it is. The CG in Super Sentai and Kamen Rider is ABYSMAL that it makes this Power Ranger Movie look like it has multi billion dollar budget. Its PS1 and Nintendo 64 quality CG. In general Japanese Movie CG is pretty bad too.

I generally like the show quality of Super Sentai and Kamen Rider though.

Reversed

”It seems like Toei's Sentai series with the fights but the story gives it a serious sense like Kamen Rider or Ultraman."

”I've been told that it's defiling Sentai heroes but I think it looks pretty cool. I want it to succeed so the world can know more about Japan's heroes."

(rubs hands) yes, yes...

In regards to the CG and the quality being too high or seeming that it is. The CG in Super Sentai and Kamen Rider is ABYSMAL that it makes this Power Ranger Movie look like it has multi billion dollar budget. Its PS1 and Nintendo 64 quality CG. In general Japanese Movie CG is pretty bad too.

I generally like the show quality of Super Sentai and Kamen Rider though.

I think they are self aware of it, to the point it looks very toyified. Can't back up on that for their CG explosions, though.

???1「アカレンジャイ!」
???2「キレンジャイ!」
???3「アカレンジャイ!」
???4「アカレンジャイ!」
???5「キレンジャイ!」
「 五人揃ってゴレンジャイ! 」

Japan yt got them Gaki No Tsukai jokes

I'm not sure if this type of live action hokey 90's stuff is still popular in Japan. But I think it was a product of time and culture crossover back in the 90's. I just don't see this coming back to popularity in the states.

BatDan

So why don't they like Zyu Ranger?

The Rangers were pretty bland outside of Burai.
Putting more focus on the weekly kid victim than the Rangers. Sentai does have kids but Zyuranger went overboard
It's also sandwiched between the beloved Jetman and the well-received Dairanger.

shingi70

Banned
I'm not sure if this type of live action hokey 90's stuff is still popular in Japan. But I think it was a product of time and culture crossover back in the 90's. I just don't see this coming back to popularity in the states.

Power Rangera still comes on and does decently . It's not mega popular but then nothing really is these days.

(rubs hands) yes, yes...

I think they are self aware of it, to the point it looks very toyified. Can't back up on that for their CG explosions, though.

I would say that were true if all the other non Mech CG effects looked better. But its obviously a budget reason. Make 40-50 episodes for this series on an extremely tight budget. Obviously though these guys after decades of working on this have a formula for getting it done.

HotHamBoy

Well, having just watched the trailer and being a member of the culture it is targeting, I have to say looks pretty fucking awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom