• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan reacts to The Power Ranger movie trailers

Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to the CG and the quality being too high or seeming that it is. The CG in Super Sentai and Kamen Rider is ABYSMAL that it makes this Power Ranger Movie look like it has multi billion dollar budget. Its PS1 and Nintendo 64 quality CG. In general Japanese Movie CG is pretty bad too.

I generally like the show quality of Super Sentai and Kamen Rider though.

I think they are self aware of it, to the point it looks very toyified. Can't back up on that for their CG explosions, though.

CG is Japan cinema is overall HORRIBLE. It is almost early 2000's Sci-Fi Channel original level. You get some surprisingly good stuff here and there, but I have to imagine the average Japanese film goer has to notice it when they get the big Hollywood productions and see stuff like the live action Attack on Titan.

The Rangers were pretty bland outside of Burai.
Putting more focus on the weekly kid victim than the Rangers. Sentai does have kids but Zyuranger went overboard
It's also sandwiched between the beloved Jetman and the well-received Dairanger.

Looking back, I agree with this sentiment. Each episode was very much of the monster-of-the-day type. There was very little character development outside of each character's individual "maybe I'm not a loser afterall?" episode.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They seem really impressed with the visuals.

[fakespoiler]Even though the CGI in Power Ranger seems pretty run of the mill.[/fakespoiler]

Whenever websites do translations of overseas reactions to stuff like this, I always wonder where they are getting these comments from. A social media site page? Youtube comments? There's gotta be some Japanese forum full of fans pulling their hairs out over America desecrating their precious Super Sentai. I refuse to believe the consensus is that cordial.

Geeky

Whenever websites do translations of overseas reactions to stuff like this, I always wonder where they are getting these comments from. A social media site page? Youtube comments? There's gotta be some Japanese forum full of fans pulling their hairs out over America desecrating their precious Super Sentai. I refuse to believe the consensus is that cordial.

2ch I would imagine.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
If only you knew what the CGI for sentai looks like...

Kid was watching it the other day on Netflix and the CGI there looked like it came straight out of PS1. But the show was in 4:3, so it might've been from an older series.

However, I meant that the Power Ranger CGI, compared to other American blockbusters, is nothing special.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
“The sense of money [in this movie] is incredible but it doesn’t feel like a Sentai at all. It seems more like an American comic book hero movie than a Sentai product.”
You'd be right.

over-time-unofficial-sentai-akibaranger-2-05-db449a95-mkv_snapshot_15-49_2013-05-12_00-08-10.jpg

“It’s kinda sad that it isn’t well known [that] Power Rangers was made in Japan.”
As a kid, I never made the connection. The disconnect from going from a suburban California community park then immediately transitioning to lower quality, grainy, film and being on a rooftop in downtown Tokyo was never made by 9 year old me.

As an adult, it's clearly obvious, but a lot of people I think just never put the effort into remembering a childhood TV show and picking apart the flaws.

Toxi

Banned
Yeah despite what many weaboos and purists claim, Japan doesn't really scorn Power Rangers. Hell during financial reports, they use Power Rangers than Super Sentai for labeling (most likely because it is an international report).

Still not gonna trust that movie though.
Huh, I didn't realize there were Japanese fans of Power Rangers. Guess it makes sense with how different some Power Rangers series were from their Super Sentai source material.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Has to be 2ch. Sort of like how every Facebook viral site farms reddit.

As a kid, I never made the connection. The disconnect from going from a suburban California community park then immediately transitioning to lower quality, grainy, film and being on a rooftop in downtown Tokyo was never made by 9 year old me.

As an adult, it's clearly obvious, but a lot of people I think just never put the effort into remembering a childhood TV show and picking apart the flaws.
For some reason as a kid the lower quality grain stuck out to me but I never knew why. I also wondered why only one girl had a skirt. :p

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

Has to be 2ch. Sort of like how every Facebook viral site farms reddit.

Well they've uploaded the trailer to Japanese youtube channels like in the article. I also saw it on Toei's youtube channel

“Do those people really like Zyuranger that much?”

“Why is Zyuranger the motif?”

“Why is America remaking Zyuranger?”

This what baffles me about MMPR-only fans. They act like it's the best because "the original is always the best", and all that shit, but it's not even the original! It's like the 20th season of a long running Japanese show, but somehow became a cultural phenomenon in America. Once the fad ran out/viewers "got too old" for kids shows suddenly the series coincidentally goes to shit in their eyes.

I wish this movie had just done an entirely original ranger team, instead of mining MMPR for as much nostalgiabucks as they could.

“Do those people really like Zyuranger that much?”

“Why is Zyuranger the motif?”

“Why is America remaking Zyuranger?”

Let's be honest here, most people in America don't care about Zyuranger in the slightest. Mighty Morphin might have used Zyuranger footage, but from what I understand the series are nothing alike, especially by the end of Mighty Morphin's run when they had run out of Japanese footage.

Fun fact: You can usually tell when it was American footage of the rangers based on the helmets. The US ones had clasps on the sides and the Japanese didn't.
Also the Green Ranger's shield looked like butt in US footage, but everyone knows that already.

“This seems interesting, doesn’t it? However, comparing it with Zyuranger makes me afraid programs mocking Japan’s Super Sentai will be made.”

Pretty sure Akibaranger has already done all the mocking we needed of Sentai and Power Rangers. And it was glorious.

Over-Time_Unofficial_Sentai_Akibaranger_-_12_D97FE4D2.mkv_snapshot_11.28_2012.07.21_17.37.06.jpg

over-time-unofficial-sentai-akibaranger-2-05-db449a95-mkv_snapshot_10-48_2013-05-12_00-15-55.jpg

Slayven

Let's be honest here, most people in America don't care about Zyuranger in the slightest. Mighty Morphin might have used Zyuranger footage, but from what I understand the series are nothing alike, especially by the end of Mighty Morphin's run when they had run out of Japanese footage.

Fun fact: You can usually tell when it was American footage of the rangers based on the helmets. The US ones had clasps on the sides and the Japanese didn't.
Also the Green Ranger's shield looked like butt in US footage, but everyone knows that already.

Pretty sure Akibaranger has already done all the mocking we needed of Sentai and Power Rangers. And it was glorious.

Over-Time_Unofficial_Sentai_Akibaranger_-_12_D97FE4D2.mkv_snapshot_11.28_2012.07.21_17.37.06.jpg

over-time-unofficial-sentai-akibaranger-2-05-db449a95-mkv_snapshot_10-48_2013-05-12_00-15-55.jpg

IronRaven

“I think this is like the Kamen Rider and Ranger shows [that are] on in the mornings but a little more for adults.”

Really seems like everyone is thinking this is going to gritter than the TV shows. I can't see it happening. All the ads have been pretty campy.

NeonZ

So I was right, the cheese is an important part of the product there.

For whatever reason, this seems to be mostly true only for Super Sentai. There was a huge backlash when they attempted a slightly more serious show (which still had the colorful outfits and other goofy elements) five years ago or so, but Kamen Rider has had several direct to video movies where they tone the violence way up compared to the tv show and even a successful mini-series on Amazon Prime Japan (Kamen Rider Amazons) without issues - still on a low budget similar to the tv shows though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyPYBlC0XnM

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So why don't they like Zyu Ranger?

The main characters are bland.

With that said, people are forgetting one thing when it comes to zyuranger praising, saying only Burai

vDQxNEm.jpg

Much like Rita and her gang, Witch Bandora and her posse are really memorable and likeable in Zyuranger. Basically if you're gonna watch Zyuranger, watch it for her.

Huh, I didn't realize there were Japanese fans of Power Rangers. Guess it makes sense with how different some Power Rangers series were from their Super Sentai source material.

More of them being indifferent, but when confronted they're more curious than hating. It's why we got Powerful Rangers.

For whatever reason, this seems to be mostly true only for Super Sentai. There was a huge backlash when they attempted a slightly more serious show (which still had the colorful outfits and other goofy elements) five years ago or so, but Kamen Rider has had several direct to video movies where they tone the violence way up compared to the tv show and even a successful mini-series on Amazon Prime Japan (Kamen Rider Amazons) without issues - still on a low budget similar to the tv shows though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyPYBlC0XnM

It's less about backlash, and more of toy problems.

GoBusters was actually doing pretty decent in older demographic but not towards the kids. And they really fucked up with the toys, basically relying on ranger keys which was still pouring from Gokaiger.

Pretty sure they could make a Season 3 of AkibaRanger focused around the new Power Rangers movie

they're dead jim

with that said if you need your tokusatsu meta show, there's Kanpai Senshi After V, had two seasons of short eps and fans have basically took it as a spiritual successor to Akibaranger

iut5k8i.png

You think mainline Japanese would give a rip? I could give two shits if they made a bad cowboy movie.

NeonZ

From what I've heard Sentai fans think Lost Galaxy is a far better show than that original Japanese series.

Nah, that's just a weird rumor that appeared online for some reason and refuses to disappear completely. I'm not sure if it really deserved it, but Gingaman had the highest tv ratings out of the entire 90s run of the franchise.

Boss Doggie

Have you seen the writing in japanese stuff?

It doesn't take much to do better, doesn't take anything at all really.

I dunno about you but I will definitely watch Ex-Aid over say, any of the neo-Saban PR shows.

Hell I'd say I enjoyed Ryuki more than Flash or Arrow.

And I said before, Ex-Aid did Pixels better than Pixels.

BossRush

If I remember correctly, Japan apparently liked the American version of Kamen Rider Ryuki called Dragon Knight. To the point where it was dubbed over there with the original actor for Ryuki doing the main character, had its own action figure line, AND a Japanese opening.

https://youtu.be/T4sf61v0cp8

Boss Doggie

Some comments are weird though. Like "the robot looks far too mechanical".

I mean, yeah the zord components look shit, but pretty sure even back in MMPR/Zyuranger the mecha components are very mecha looking, especially the Triceratops and Sabertooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom