• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Trojan X

Banned
Hey Japan-GAF

I'm planning a 3-week trip to Japan and have got a preliminary itinerary, what do you guys think?

March 27th - Arrive Tokyo
31st - Nagoya
April 1st - Kanazawa
2nd - Kyoto w/ day trip to Nara
8th - Mount Koya
9th - Osaka
11th - Hiroshima
12th - Miyajima
13th - Return to Tokyo w/ day trips to Kamakura and Nikko
16th - Leave for home :(

Am I spending too much/little time in any of these places? Thanks!

Incredibly intensive and potentially stressful. Any chance to make it 4 weeks? :) It would be awesome to spread the days out a little at certain locations. Otherwise I recommend to remove one location if possible so you can spend the time to soak up the culture and offerings of each area. Of course, make sure Kyoto stays on the list as one of the key places to go. I hope you seen the Kyoto video that will help you see why you should go there. :)

Incredibly intensive and potentially stressful.

Could you elaborate? I didn't feel like it was too packed but you're right I'd like to travel as little as possible I guess! Is there anywhere you'd recommend as a "hub" place to stay? Or any nights I should trade around for extra time elsewhere?

Great, thank you.

So I am planning out a schedule for visiting some places and some friends in the Southern part of Japan. Tokyo is the last stop and gets a full week at the end of the trip.

For the southern island trek, I am thinking:

Start at Osaka.
-1 day for Kyoto
-1 day for Kobe
-1 day to take the train to Fukuoka, this is the longest trek and takes 5 hours.
-1 day to Spend time in Fukuoka area
-1 day to train back to Hiroshima and spend time there, I think it can be done in a day
-1 day back from Hiroshima to Osaka

Seem reasonable?

when I was in China I severely underrestimated how tired I was just after traveling to a new city. its hard to find places, in the heat you constantly have to sit down, buy foods, shopping and looking at all the cool things. give yourself plenty of time to rest after each train stop. also if you take cheaper trains the seats will kill your back. exhausting. im sure japanese standards are much higher than Chinese though

Zornica

Banned
Hey Japan-GAF

I'm planning a 3-week trip to Japan and have got a preliminary itinerary, what do you guys think?

31st - Nagoya
April 1st - Kanazawa
8th - Mount Koya
9th - Osaka
11th - Hiroshima
12th - Miyajima

when going to kamakura, make sure to visit Enoshima too. It's a short train ride with the enoshima line from hase station (small station near the hase temple and the buddha statue). It was well worth the trip. Even more so than the Daibutsu I'd say.
There is also a great cannabis restaurant in Kamakura near the beach. If you are hungry make sure to check it out! (There is also a kebap place on the main street if you are interessted)

Mik2121

Hey Japan-GAF

31st - Nagoya
April 1st - Kanazawa
8th - Mount Koya
9th - Osaka
11th - Hiroshima
12th - Miyajima

If I were you I'd skip Nagoya and Kanazawa, move the Kyoto trip to the 31st and go a bit earlier to Hiroshima as well. That will give you a lot of time and you'll be much more relaxed. You could even make a trip to Nagasaki. I assume you'll have hotels in Tokyo, Kyoto (or Osaka) and Hiroshima, right?

Either way, I've done a 1 month trip around Japan before and also a bunch of trips around the Kansai area (where I lived for 5 years) and Kyushu (where I've been living for 2 years) and for 3 weeks, yeah.. I'd rather skip Nagoya and Kanazawa :/

npm0925

Hey Japan-GAF

31st - Nagoya
April 1st - Kanazawa
8th - Mount Koya
9th - Osaka
11th - Hiroshima
12th - Miyajima

I think you are spending too little time in Tokyo and too much time in Kyoto. I think 3 or 4 full days in Kyoto is plenty plus 1 day for Nara. Your itinerary gives you like 3 full days in Tokyo if you factor in travel (you will be jet-lagged on day 1, and Miyajima to Tokyo is 5 or 6 hours) and day trips.

Trojan X

Banned
Could you elaborate? I didn't feel like it was too packed but you're right I'd like to travel as little as possible I guess! Is there anywhere you'd recommend as a "hub" place to stay? Or any nights I should trade around for extra time elsewhere?

Well, each location is very far from each other, and considering you have to take all your suitcases to each location, go round, take photos, look for places to each, adjust for anything unexpected, feel guilty for not having enough time at certain locations, its all going to drain you. Honestly, you WILL be drained and feel shitty for not spending enough time at certain areas. I'd suggest removing one of the locations and saving it for another visit to Japan. In fact, I think Mik2121 advised best.

Always remember, a great holiday is not only going to great places, it's about spending time to soak in and appreciate the great places you are going to. So do the best thing for yourself, reduce your locations and plan your activities in each area. Think of Tokyo as your fun crazy place and Kyoto and other areas as your true Japan culture appreciation with relaxation. You won't regret it! Trust us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoKAiFaBvmQ

SKINNER!

Banned
Thought it would never happen but looks like I'll be going back to Tokyo next July for 9 nights. Gonna be sure to check out the things I missed out on the first time I was there. Plus, buy Wifi internet this time round too. Is it realistically possible to visit Nara for one day and go back to Tokyo? Really want to see my deer friends again :(

Thanks guys this is incredibly valuable advice, and thanks for the follow-up Trojan. I'll drop Nagoya and Kanazawa and this should be a little easier:

31st - Kyoto w/ day trip to Nara
6th - Mount Koya
7th - Osaka
9th - Hiroshima
11th - Miyajima
12th - Return to Tokyo w/ day trips to Kamakura and Nikko
16th - Home

If that still seems like too much/imbalanced let me know :)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Real talk Kyoto can be done in like 2 days. Unless you're tottttalllyyy into temples, shrines, and leaves, shit is boring. Night life is dead, shopping is minimal, people are more reserved. Food is the best part but that depends on if you actually know that. Bang out the typical tourist shit and be out. Osaka deserves way more respect, and fashion shopping in Kobe is a must too.

Trojan X

Banned
Thanks guys this is incredibly valuable advice, and thanks for the follow-up Trojan. I'll drop Nagoya and Kanazawa and this should be a little easier:

6th - Mount Koya
7th - Osaka
9th - Hiroshima
11th - Miyajima
16th - Home

Reduce your time in Kyoto to 2-3 days max (you must go to an outdoor Onsen in Kyoto). Counter it with your time in Osaka and Kobe. Hiroshima will be a one day trip. You could cut out Nikko and Kamakura but let me ask my friends for a second opinion on that one.

Do you have any friends in Japan? If you do then that may heavily adjust your schedule. Nothing is greater than to have a local show you the resident perspective of Japan.

Will you apply for a rail pass? That will be SUPER essential to cut down the cost unless you are wealthy.

Reduce your time in Kyoto to 2-3 days max (you must go to an outdoor Onsen in Kyoto). Counter it with your time in Osaka and Kobe. Hiroshima will be a one day trip. You could cut out Nikko and Kamakura but let me ask my friends for a second opinion on that one.

Do you have any friends in Japan? If you do then that may heavily adjust your schedule. Nothing is greater than to have a local show you the resident perspective of Japan.

Will you apply for a rail pass? That will be SUPER essential to cut down the cost unless you are wealthy.

Thanks for the advice - I can fit Kobe in as a nice stop to break up the trip back to Tokyo for a few nights. Hiroshima's down to one night. Osaka up to 3. I was planning on staying in a Ryokan near Kyoto so I only took one night from it (to 4)

I've got some friends of a friend staying in Tokyo so I'm going to hit them up the first couple nights (my girlfriend joins me on the 29th). And yeah I've heard a rail pass is essential, just need to decide whether to get a 14 or 21 day pass

Trojan X

Banned
You are going for 3 weeks so get a 21 days pass. Also, ask your friend in Tokyo to get you a Suica card so you can use the Tokyo Metro lines. You will thank me for both later - take the plunge and trust me!

How is your Japanese and how much do you love Japanese food? Hope you got a good camera. Oh yes, MAKE SURE you bring some dress to impress clothes for yourself to wear so you can look good when you go out on the town for Japan is practically a fashion show where models will walk among you. You'll see what I mean when you get here.

How is your Japanese and how much do you love Japanese food? Hope you got a good camera. Oh yes, MAKE SURE you bring some dress to impress clothes for yourself to wear so you can look good when you go out on the town for Japan is practically a fashion show where models will walk among you. You'll see what I mean when you get here.

Japanese is poor, all I remember is "watashi wa nexus zero desu!" Where do you recommend brushing up? I picked up reading hiragana and katakana back in the day so I can revisit that.

I absolutely love katsu curry and udon, looking forward to diving in to everything else. And I'm really into photography so I'm taking a 650D and X100S.

I'm glad you are getting support. Stay positive and courteous to everyone you are in contact with. It will go a long way (not just Japan but here and everywhere else too). Crossing my fingers for you to get your phone. Rooting for you.

I asked the receptionist to call again yesterday (not sure if she hates me since I ask her everyday), and it looks like they directed her to another department because of the bus route I took (which they never did before, even though every time they asked which route I took). I guess because whoever picked up the phone didn't care to tell us before. We tried calling the new number and they said they found a Samsung Google phone with a cracked screen and no branding like au or docomo that pretty much sounds like mine. BUT, since no one had directed us to that department before, therefore not receiving any calls for it for a few days, they've already turned it into the police.

We call the police and they tell us that the department that keeps cell phones is basically closed all week and will open again on 1-6-2014 because of new years. I leave on 1-4-2014 and they say I need to go pick it up in person with my passport or describe the phone, but I can't do that until they're open again, so I'm basically shit out of luck unless someone has any ideas.

Sucks, but at least I know my phone is just sitting somewhere inside the police station and not in someone else's hands. Next year I'll be in Hong Kong, so I might go back to Japan the year after and maybe for shits and giggles I'll try to go pick up my phone then.

scarlet

I asked the receptionist to call again yesterday (not sure if she hates me since I ask her everyday), and it looks like they directed her to another department because of the bus route I took (which they never did before, even though every time they asked which route I took). I guess because whoever picked up the phone didn't care to tell us before. We tried calling the new number and they said they found a Samsung Google phone with a cracked screen and no branding like au or docomo that pretty much sounds like mine. BUT, since no one had directed us to that department before, therefore not receiving any calls for it for a few days, they've already turned it into the police.

We call the police and they tell us that the department that keeps cell phones is basically closed all week and will open again on 1-6-2014 because of new years. I leave on 1-4-2014 and they say I need to go pick it up in person with my passport or describe the phone, but I can't do that until they're open again, so I'm basically shit out of luck unless someone has any ideas.

Sucks, but at least I know my phone is just sitting somewhere inside the police station and not in someone else's hands. Next year I'll be in Hong Kong, so I might go back to Japan the year after and maybe for shits and giggles I'll try to go pick up my phone then.

This year? or 2015

Don't go there around june-september!

matt360

6th - Mount Koya
7th - Osaka
9th - Hiroshima
11th - Miyajima
16th - Home

As much as I love Hiroshima, I don't think you need to spend two full days here plus a day at Miyajima. One day for the A-Bomb Dome and Peace Park + shopping, and then the next day for Miyajima should be fine. You can do almost everything there is to do at Miyajima in just a few hours, so you could even go back to Tokyo the same day you go to Miyajima if you get an early enough start.

Just remember that while you're in Hiroshima you absolutely must try the okonomiyaki. Vastly superior to the Kansai/Osaka style in every way.

You can even get Miyajima in during the same day as the rest of Hiroshima. I went late in the afternoon, and it felt really special. Most of the tourists had left for the day and it was fun wandering wondering around near sunset. Plus you get to view the torii under different types of lighting.

Also, Matt couldn't be more wrong about which okonomiyaki type is superior.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Just remember that while you're in Hiroshima you absolutely must try the okonomiyaki. Vastly superior to the Kansai/Osaka style in every way.

Don't listen to this horseshit. Layers ≠ taste.

Vormund

Really? :( You live there permanently?

btw I wouldn't be living there permanently but I'd be hopping from Bangkok to there when I could.

I'm an expert

Really? :( You live there permanently?

btw I wouldn't be living there permanently but I'd be hopping from Bangkok to there when I could.

No, we don't, at least not now. We moved back to the states recently and I'll be here for a bit, but my wife goes back at least twice a year for a few months so she uses it then. We also have a small house from her father in another prefecture but I feel like we'll get rid of it or just raze it and rebuild. Land is so damn cheap outside the city limits though that I think once we head back I will go that route.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Me and my brother did one of the tours from this company. This one in particular. It was really nice if you wanted to see a lot of Japan really quickly. Only drawback was that we didn't spend as much time in Tokyo as we would have hoped. I would recommend having a tour guide who speaks Japanese if you want to go all over the Japan, but you can probably wing without a guide if you just want to visit some of the big cities. There's actually quite a lot of readable English on the signs around the major cities, and most of the hotel staff in the bigger hotels will be able to speak English.

Highly recommend that you go to Akihabara in Tokyo or Nipponbashi in Osaka if you're a nerd.

matt360

Don't listen to this horseshit. Layers ≠ taste.

Obviously not an expert when it comes to okonomiyaki I see. Don't get me wrong, Kansai-style tastes good, but Hiroshima okonomiyaki is on a completely different level. Unless you actually live in Kansai I find it kind of hard to believe that anyone would claim otherwise.

Seriously though, anyone who visits Hiroshima for the first time would be doing themselves a huge disservice if they didn't try the local okonomiyaki. I recommend Micchan, Lopez, Goemon, or Tanokyuu.

Fritz

I finally booked a flight Berlin - Tokyo, Tokyo - Berlin for 560 EUR!! Going late April to early May (I know Golden Week).

Anyway, I got two weeks and I was thinking

4 days Tokyo
5 days in the Japanese Alps
4 days Kyoto
1 day Tokyo

I thought about making Takayama my base for the Japanese Alps see some villages, go hiking, stay at an onsen/ryokan. Any recommendations for the area are much appreciated.

I am Flying back via Osaka so I am thinking of ditching the transfer flight from Tokyo to Osaka and just leave from there. Even more so since I would arrive at Kansai at around 10pm and my flight back to Europe wouldnt leave before 10 am the next morning.

What do you guys think?

I stayed here when I visited Takayama. When I stayed it was still really new, and I think prices may have been better then. It was a little over 100USD a night I think. Plus that damn onsen tax.
http://www.hotespa.net/hotels/takayama/

It's right by the train station (then again, all the hotels in Takayama are) and was the only hotel I stayed in in Japan that had all tatami floors; you store your shoes in a locker when you arrive. In addition to the large public onsen on the roof, there are are a couple of private onsens that are still open air. Good if you're not down with public nudity.

monome

lol.

I go to Japan 2/3 times a year.

10-15 days each time.

My schedule is KIX-> Kobe ; Kobe-> KIX

Osaka/Kobe is pretty much the same place. Just like going to Kyoto from Osaka is an afternoon/day trip IMO.

sort of jealous of you guys visiting the country.

Tokyo is nice. if you're rich or willing to overspend, IMO.

EDIT : you guys visiting Japan for the first time should not overdo it. not seeing this or that is very ok. take the time and appropriate money to enjoy fewer/better things. enjoying some expensive food, indulging in some shopping >>> urban back packing.

hwalker84

lol.

I go to Japan 2/3 times a year.

10-15 days each time.

My schedule is KIX-> Kobe ; Kobe-> KIX

Osaka/Kobe is pretty much the same place. Just like going to Kyoto from Osaka is an afternoon/day trip IMO.

sort of jealous of you guys visiting the country.

Tokyo is nice. if you're rich or willing to overspend, IMO.

EDIT : you guys visiting Japan for the first time should not overdo it. not seeing this or that is very ok. take the time and appropriate money to enjoy fewer/better things. enjoying some expensive food, indulging in some shopping >>> urban back packing.

You're jealous? Dude I'm jealous of you! 2/3 times a year 10-15 days? I hate you!!

monome

You're jealous? Dude I'm jealous of you! 2/3 times a year 10-15 days? I hate you!!

don't be.

it costs a fuck ton of money.

my girl is japanese and has a flat there, thus the trips. because owning a flat you don't use is heart breaking.

I love Kansai tho and since I've been doing this for 10 years I do enjoy a neighboorly feel when going there.

that said, I'm a gaijin and always will be. I've made my peace about it and am satisified being "lost in translation".

hwalker84

don't be.

it costs a fuck ton of money.

my girl is japanese and has a flat there, thus the trips. because owning a flat you don't use is heart breaking.

I love Kansai tho and since I've been doing this for 10 years I do enjoy a neighboorly feel when going there.

that said, I'm a gaijin and always will be. I've made my peace about it and am satisified being "lost in translation".

Oh I still am. It's not money that's the problem. It's time off work which isn't possible.

Fritz

I stayed here when I visited Takayama. When I stayed it was still really new, and I think prices may have been better then. It was a little over 100USD a night I think. Plus that damn onsen tax.
http://www.hotespa.net/hotels/takayama/

It's right by the train station (then again, all the hotels in Takayama are) and was the only hotel I stayed in in Japan that had all tatami floors; you store your shoes in a locker when you arrive. In addition to the large public onsen on the roof, there are are a couple of private onsens that are still open air. Good if you're not down with public nudity.

Thanks dude! Allthough that might be a bit out of my price range for a base camp. I plan to check into a hostel in Takayama and then head out to one of the onsen villages in the mountains for a day and a night. I was looking at the Awanoyu Ryokan in Shirahone Onsen but I'd be more than open for other suggestions.

This year? or 2015

Don't go there around june-september!

Most likely in December. I usually take vacations around Christmas. I heard it's bad around that time, but I'm from a part of Texas that's usually hot and humid so it wouldn't be too much of a difference. :)

pikablu

Hey Japan-GAF

31st - Nagoya
April 1st - Kanazawa
8th - Mount Koya
9th - Osaka
11th - Hiroshima
12th - Miyajima

No trip to Akihabara?

I'm an expert

Obviously not an expert when it comes to okonomiyaki I see. Don't get me wrong, Kansai-style tastes good, but Hiroshima okonomiyaki is on a completely different level. Unless you actually live in Kansai I find it kind of hard to believe that anyone would claim otherwise.

Seriously though, anyone who visits Hiroshima for the first time would be doing themselves a huge disservice if they didn't try the local okonomiyaki. I recommend Micchan, Lopez, Goemon, or Tanokyuu.

Well..I actually live in Osaka.. and my wife is from Osaka.. and I've been to Hiroshima like 9000x (I've lived in Ehime as well).

I think I'm a muhfuckin expert!

Coincidentally though my wife made okonomiyaki the other night and I was like.. how did she know..

Thanks dude! Allthough that might be a bit out of my price range for a base camp. I plan to check into a hostel in Takayama and then head out to one of the onsen villages in the mountains for a day and a night. I was looking at the Awanoyu Ryokan in Shirahone Onsen but I'd be more than open for other suggestions.

Sounds like a plan. Although I just checked, and it's actually cheaper than when I went. April 2010 when I went had one of the best exchange rates in a while at the time, but I didn't notice that it's over 100 Yen to the USD now. Might need to start considering a second trip.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Better to build your own place. I regret our condo a bit.

veering off topic - but yeah, we bought land but with a house already on it (in a suburb of Tokyo). Whilst the house was new, we knew it wasn't entirely suited to our needs : It's a nisetai , which is what we wanted, but it's two 3 storey houses and that's a complete pain in the arse. Now we wait until the inevitable time where we -have- to tear it down and rebuild it anyways :/

++++ everything Trojan X says here. The first time i came to Japan we -hammered- the Rail Pass and you will get your money back pretty much on ONE bullet train journey. Seriously - this should be the most important thing you sort out - it may sound expensive but you will save a massive amount of cash. I'm always jealous when people come over and they have the passes - such a bargain.

And yes - Kyoto : it's beautiful and all that but once you've done Kyou Mizu Dera and a few of the other temples it can become a bit too sedate. I'd definitely trade it for time in Osaka/Kobe - lol, perhaps go to Universal Studios just to experience the way Japan does those sort of things.

And again - the advice about having someone show you around is definitely something to do : there's enough GAFfers around Japan now that someone might be able to meet up and show you some of the local high points (if you don't have friends outhere already that is)

histopher

Heading over in late March and still trying to work out our itinerary. We are travelling with another couple but they leave a few days before us. Would really appreciate some input.

Thanks.

24th March - Arrive in Tokyo and stay for 5 nights. Plans in Tokyo include Tsukiji fish market, Akihabara, Harajuku. Thinking of doing a day trip to Fuji but not sure if this is worth it due to the time of year we are visiting.

29th March - Originally we planned to go to Miyajima and stay in a Ryokan but this is no longer happening. We would have visited Hiroshima during this part of the trip. Any suggestions?

31st March - Osaka staying for 4 nights. Plan is to do 2 day trips to Kyoto, and one to Nara. Spend the nights in Dotonbori and one of the days in Osaka itself. We couldn't find a Ryokan in Kyoto so decided to base ourselves in Osaka as it is cheaper and there's more to do in the night.

4th April - Our friends leave for Tokyo and we have another 2 days before we need to head back there as well. I am trying to find a balance of visiting as many places as possible without rushing. Would love for some suggestions on where to go in these 2 days.

7th April - Head back to Tokyo and fly out on the 8th.

Edit: Also wondering if the 14 day JR All Pass is what we should get?

shas'la

Can someone kindly link me to the jr pass site and it's costs. All I can find is a JR east pass that lasts for 5 days from activation.

I'd also be interested in knowing what train you can/can't use with the pass?

Nice one man, does this include the subway in Tokyo, i've always used my Suica card on previous trips!?

It may not be worth it since you already have a Suica card, but consider the NEX/Suica combo if you won't be activating a JR pass on day one, and are flying into Narita of course.

Hey guys

What do you think about my plan? Is there something missing or something that might just not work? Im planing on getting the JR Kanto Pass 8000Y and Suica & N'EX 5500Y Round trip. And the wifi ofcourse.

14-04-12 Umeå – Stockholm – Narita (+1)

14-04-13 Check in at shinagawa (Home base) then dinner somewhere

14-04-14 Shinjuku + Shibuya day
Calico Cat Cafe
Bic Camera
Lunch at Yamachan Chicken wings
Harajuku Takeshita-dori

14-04-15
Akihabara – Maid Cafe and Super potato
Sensoji Temple

Kanto Pass
14-04-16 Mt fuji (staying one night)