• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Fireblend

Banned
Well, we just booked a room through Airbnb for Kyoto, which pretty much cements our schedule and seems to be super close to the station after all :) Thanks for all the help! No doubt I'll be asking more questions once our trip approaches.

Fritz

Is there anything huge going on in November in the Akihabara area, me and my friends were looking to book hotel Remm then but it seems they booked out all of a sudden, even the nearest hotels are all sold out for that month.

Might also be that reservations aren't open yet.

Is there anything huge going on in November in the Akihabara area, me and my friends were looking to book hotel Remm then but it seems they booked out all of a sudden, even the nearest hotels are all sold out for that month.

What dates and types of rooms are you looking at? I'm seeing plenty of hotels with free rooms in November near Akihabara, even Remm got free rooms for most dates.

My Instagram is the real MVP for this trip, goddamn

Hit up Asakusa which was cool, made a whole day out of it. Shinjuku was MASSIVE. Feels like I'd need another day to hit the shopping. Did the government building and the New York Bar, which was amazing.

Probably Shibuya and Harajuku today. Daiso and the men's stores are gonna clean me out

Arizona might be hot, but at least it's dry, I guess.
Japan in the summer is hot and moist. Whenever I took a step out of the hotel and walked more than 5 minutes outside I was soaking wet..

It gets humid in August here as well. I don't think it will be too bad though.
Last time I was in Japan, I spent all of June in Hiroshima, and wore long pants every day with long sleeve shirts or t-shirts.

I still don't know where exactly I'm going yet though, as I'm meeting up with people later in the week. I'll probably spend at least monday night in Tokyo as I arrive that day in the afternoon. But don't know yet.

I see you smiling in some pics, so that means...

Why you lying?
;p

Oh, and where the food pics at?

Lol oops. I had people say I stole pics so that's what that is for

Nothing really food pic worthy so far! Just lots of good food like a cheap kaiten-zushi place and a lunch buffet. New York Bar was expensive (like 70 for two drinks and chili) but it was lovely

Lol oops. I had people say I stole pics so that's what that is for

Nothing really food pic worthy so far! Just lots of good food like a cheap kaiten-zushi place and a lunch buffet. New York Bar was expensive (like 70 for two drinks and chili) but it was lovely

Hehe. Cool.

Oh fuck, forgot people use Line here

Lemme try and get sorted out for tonight and I'll see about tomorrow. Probably going to thr Tokyo Dome area for a wrestling show if you wanted to meet up before

Makeda

Out of curiosity what are the usual temps in Japan during the July & August?
I'm used to insane humidity living in HK, it can't possibly be worse than that can it?

FYI - Currently 32c here and humid as f***

Out of curiosity what are the usual temps in Japan during the July & August?
I'm used to insane humidity living in HK, it can't possibly be worse than that can it?

FYI - Currently 32c here and humid as f***

Well, comparing weather data for Tokyo and Hong Kong for last year, the average mean humidity was 81% in Tokyo and 71% in Hong Kong, but the average mean temperature was 3c degrees colder in Tokyo.

Average max humidity was 92% for Tokyo and 85% for Hong Kong.

mcmmaster

Doesn't seem to be anything that I can find. Not a national holiday nor is there any big event that a non-local would really be interested in, like... a bush festival. Might be a holiday season in China or something or Korea and there is just an influx of tourists that time/area.

It's easy enough to get around though so maybe book elsewhere? or are you set on Akihabara?

Might also be that reservations aren't open yet.

Yeah we are kind of set for that area, any hotels near Akihabara Station & Electric Town really. Remm, Washington Hotel & APA Hotel Akihabara-Ekimae were our top 3 choices.

But as Fritz put it about reservations not being open yet, guess they've opened some up as it is available to book now. But according to Expedia Remm has had 11 bookings in the last 48 hours, I better get this all booked and sorted as soon as before they completely sell out for November.

Yeah we are kind of set for that area, any hotels near Akihabara Station & Electric Town really. Remm, Washington Hotel & APA Hotel Akihabara-Ekimae were our top 3 choices.

But as Fritz put it about reservations not being open yet, guess they've opened some up as it is available to book now. But according to Expedia Remm has had 11 bookings in the last 48 hours, I better get this all booked and sorted as soon as before they completely sell out for November.

Keep checking. And check different sites too. Especially Japanese sites and the hotel's own website. Trust me hotel room availability it a vast and complex web.

Have you checked Toyoko-Inn? They offer reservations quite far in advance.

Keep checking. And check different sites too. Especially Japanese sites and the hotel's own website. Trust me hotel room availability it a vast and complex web.

Even just booking can be weird. Like if you search through a hotel booking comparison site like TripAdvisor or similar, the price will be lower than if you go directly to Expedia, Hotels etc to book, and then there's the 'secret' discounts or discounts for booking flights through the same site. Oh, and don't forget about cashback sites and credit cards as well.

Managed to stack quadruple discout once for first searching through TripAdvisor, then re-access the site through a cashback website, then logging in and get an extra secret discount and finally paying with a cashback credit card :p

I usually use Agoda.com when I book hotels around Asia (and everywhere, really). Love them.

I use whoever's got the best deal. Booked various places with both AirBnB, Booking and Expedia for my next trip. :p

Did they change that? Can't remember seeing anything about paying for it?

But I mostly used it via my mobile browser. Liked it more than the app.

I think you only have to pay if you want the JR Pass bias option, at least on Android. I've only used the free app.

Guys, if you have 4 days to do Kyoto, Koyasan, and Hiroshima... how would you distribute the time?

Is it enough time? Would you sacrifice one of the locations? If so, which one?

Guys, if you have 4 days to do Kyoto, Koyasan, and Hiroshima... how would you distribute the time?

Is it enough time? Would you sacrifice one of the locations? If so, which one?

Pretty tight. Staying overnight in Koyasan is the best way to do it from what I've heard. To put it another way, if you can't arrange the schedule to stay at Koyasan then maybe it gets left off? On the other hand staying at a shukubo at Koyasan is an opportunity to experience things on a little deeper level than just sightseeing.

anyone know of some cool non-gaming shopping locales in tokyo? Ive had a couple peeps ask me to get them souvenirs as if im some sort of ingenious gift-getter.

You can use Hyperdia to see the times of trains.

Seems you'll have to wait till the next morning, from what I saw.

thanks breh, looks like ill need to take a cab.

Pretty tight. Staying overnight in Koyasan is the best way to do it from what I've heard. To put it another way, if you can't arrange the schedule to stay at Koyasan then maybe it gets left off? On the other hand staying at a shukubo at Koyasan is an opportunity to experience things on a little deeper level than just sightseeing.

So you're suggestion would be to cut Koyasan out, and just do Kyoto/Hiroshima?

Just wanna be clear, cause everything I'm looking at seems like Kyoto/Koyasan is the way to go.

I'd like to do all 3, but it does seem like it's a bit tight.

Jintor

planning my end of living here trip. sounds like it's gonna be 3-4 days in nagasaki, 2 in iiyama, nagano to visit a friend, 3 in tokyo, then off to taiwan and malaysia for a bit, then back to osaka, then homeeeeeee

Darksol

planning my end of living here trip. sounds like it's gonna be 3-4 days in nagasaki, 2 in iiyama, nagano to visit a friend, 3 in tokyo, then off to taiwan and malaysia for a bit, then back to osaka, then homeeeeeee

How long have you been living in Japan? Are you ever planning on coming back?

So you're suggestion would be to cut Koyasan out, and just do Kyoto/Hiroshima?

Just wanna be clear, cause everything I'm looking at seems like Kyoto/Koyasan is the way to go.

I'd like to do all 3, but it does seem like it's a bit tight.

He means that you should do Koyasan if you can get a temple stay there overnight, if not do Hiroshima.

I'd agree.

Zatoth

4 Days should work.

Day 1 Kyoto
Day 2 Koyasan + night @ temple
Day 3 Koyasan + Hiroshima
Day 4 Kyoto

for example. Depending on what you want to so see in Hiroshima of course. But I think one day is enough if you mainly go there for the Peace Memorial.

I think you could even squeeze in a visit to Miyajima.

Zatoth

Maybe I underestimated how long it takes to get off Koyasan.

But assuming you leave Koyasan as early as possible you should make it to Hiroshima early in the afternoon.

Zatoth

If you're not staying for the morning prayer and breakfast then I'd think you'd be missing about half the experience of having a stay there.

But that should be pretty early in the morning. I think it was from 5:00 till 6:00, from what I remember. May be different in other temples.

But doing all of it in 4 days will be stressful. No doubt about that.

Raw64life

So I was about to order the B-Mobile Data Only Visitor Sim, but AT&T had other ideas. My phone is locked and I'm still under contract so they won't unlock it. I update my iOS like an idiot so jailbreaking isn't an option either. There are these sites that can unlock your phone for you but they all look shady as fuck. What are my options for data here?

Top Bottom