• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Shibalan

How are you planning to travel between Kyoto -> Takayama and Kanazawa -> Tokyo?

Any particular reason why you're going to Kamikochi?
By train. Hyperdia says it's doable, but I can't look for the details right now, i'm on mobile, sorry.

We are looking for good hiking spots and Kamikochi is praised in multiple guides. Should we go somewhere else ?

I did that in reverse except I ended up skipping Kanazawa for scheduling reasons.
Thanks for the insight ! We are thinking about renting a car for this part of the trip. There seems to be a good bus network, so we still need to compare the cost and the advantages.

By train. Hyperdia says it's doable, but I can't look for the details right now, i'm on mobile, sorry.

We are looking for good hiking spots and Kamikochi is praised in multiple guides. Should we go somewhere else ?

You could possibly save around 5500 JPY each by taking a bus from Kyoto->Takayama. It would take about 4.5 hours instead of 3.5 hours to do though, but you'd not have to switch trains in Nagoya then.

Nah, just make sure you study the bus timetable so you don't get stuck there overnight, unless you rent a car of course :p

paolo11

Question. I plan to go to Japan this year so I need to ask. Is it easy to find Sega Saturn PS2 pads? I plan to go to Akihabara.

Dwayne

Question. I plan to go to Japan this year so I need to ask. Is it easy to find Sega Saturn PS2 pads? I plan to go to Akihabara.

Never tried hunting them out but looking at YAJ atm there's a few listed so I wouldn't say they're ridiculously rare, you may come across some. Prices ranging from 5,000 to 13,000yen in the YAJ sold listings tho, prepare to pay a pretty penny.

plastik

I'm planning on doing Halloween in Shibuya. Anyone know when they close the streets off to traffic and let the costumed people roam? Is it on the weekend leading up to Halloween or the day of?

I'm planning on doing Halloween in Shibuya. Anyone know when they close the streets off to traffic and let the costumed people roam? Is it on the weekend leading up to Halloween or the day of?

Way to early to know :p

Info from last year though:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/10/27/national/shibuya-readies-halloween-party-throngs/

To avoid turmoil near JR Shibuya Station when it is flooded with partygoers over Halloween, the Metropolitan Police Department will for the first time dedicate two nearby streets to pedestrians only from Friday through Monday, depending on traffic conditions.

According to reports, the two streets subject to vehicle restrictions include one stretching from the Shibuya scramble crossing some 270 meters toward Dogenzaka past the Shibuya 109 fashion emporium, and another branching from 109 to the Dogenzaka 2-chome intersection near the Tokyu Department Store.

The Shibuya scramble crossing will not be closed to vehicles due to its high volume of traffic.

Mendrox

Rode to Nijo Castle by bike today, Castle itself was awesome. Really nice place. After that it was 3pm and I thought "hmm lets do Inari Shrine..." after two hours of cycling I was there. Best place so far imo. The hike killed me almost, I got lost on the way to the top in the woods and heard frogs everywhere. After 30 minutes I found a way to the top and after over two hours I was at the top shrine which was cool but nothing special but I reached the top! The Mountain is also awesome at night. Got down after 45 minutes and cycled my through kyoto again to my AirBnB. After over two hours I just want to die, but it was totally worth it. I love cycling in kyoto :D

huxley00

Just returned from my first Japan trip with my girlfriend (both early to mid 30s). We went April 29th and returned on May 11th. The weather was absolutely perfect up until the last day. It really was an amazing trip full of good food and great experiences.

One tip I'd give people, if you're looking for good places to eat on Google Reviews or Yelp, just look at the review ratings in Japanese. I've seen 4-5 star reviews for British themed restaurants right by the rail station, it can be hard to know what is actually good or not. If Japanese people are giving a place good reviews, you can guess it's probably going to be pretty good.

I could do a long write up on things we did and general travel advice, but I already spent an hour doing that on /r/JapanTravel earlier this morning.

In the end, don't worry too much. Travel was extremely easy and everyone was very kind and polite. Just try to make reservations or get tickets for things you expect to sell out and you'll be fine otherwise. Japan is a huge place with a million things to do, you'll never get around to doing everything you want. Just focus on things that really interest you and you'll have an amazing time.

huxley00

So my wife and I found out we're going to have about a 2 month window this fall to do our super late honeymoon. While we initially were thinking between Paris, Tokyo, and an Alaskan cruise we're currently leaning pretty heavily towards Tokyo. I went back in 2011 or sometime around then but didn't have much money or the ability to do my own thing at the time so looking forward to going back again.

I think we'll be staying around 10 days and for the majority of which in Tokyo. Still early in the planning process but have until September/October. I'll probably be asking more questions as I do more research and get closer but what are your guys' opinions on 'businessmen' hotels? Wife isn't a fan of the shared bathrooms/dorm style hostels/Ryokan's so trying to find a balance between price and privacy.

I've been to both Paris and Tokyo over the past year, you really can't go wrong with either, honestly.

If I had to choose one or the other...I guess I'd probably choose Tokyo. The ease of transit is one really great thing about experience and there is just so much to do (not that there isn't a million things to do in Paris, as well though).

Overall, I'd say Paris is generally more romantic and the dining experience is a bit more geared toward romance. It is the city of love after all.

Then again, something pretty romantic about being in a private hot spring bath at a ryoken in the mountains. Either way, it will be great.

danowat

Banned
Had some random old guy come up to us in Kamakura today, and put two pieces of card in our hands with his address on and asked us to write to him, it was a really odd thing!

TCRS

Banned
In hindsight I think we did too much stuff per day and didn't enjoy/savour it fully. I wished I had taken more time for each thing. but then I didn't even see everything so really a two week holiday would have been best. but then that would have been bloody expensive..

oh well. the last day at the temple of the 47 ronin was beautiful and peaceful though. the most beautiful corner I have ever smoked at :)

i7cZ726.jpg

Arrived yesterday afternoon and i've already made a fool of myself like 3 times.
Coming from a rural part of Canada, the amazing volume of people bustling around is overwhelming and impressive.

Sure is jarring adapting to the walk on the left rule.

Fritz

In hindsight I think we did too much stuff per day and didn't enjoy/savour it fully. I wished I had taken more time for each thing. but then I didn't even see everything so really a two week holiday would have been best. but then that would have been bloody expensive..

oh well. the last day at the temple of the 47 ronin was beautiful and peaceful though. the most beautiful corner I have ever smoked at :)

i7cZ726.jpg

I feel ya. That pic is awesome though.

danowat

Banned
Any suggestions for something chill to do on a rainy day? We were going to chill in Yoyogi park today, but it's going to rain all day.

OK so I'm going to be in Tokyo for like 3 months, can someone explain to me the best they can on what my options are for cellphone data/calls etc for this sort of time frame? Everything seems to be either for short term stays or long term (6 month +) stays.

I'd like to keep and use my phone ideally, my main concern is getting access to data after which I can just rely on LINE or some other thing for communications.

OK so I'm going to be in Tokyo for like 3 months, can someone explain to me the best they can on what my options are for cellphone data/calls etc for this sort of time frame? Everything seems to be either for short term stays or long term (6 month +) stays.

I'd like to keep and use my phone ideally, my main concern is getting access to data after which I can just rely on LINE or some other thing for communications.

Pocket WiFi would be the best for data:
http://en.wifi-rental-store.jp/order.html

Strolling through Asakusa amidst a deluge of rain is so wild. Was gonna stroll through Ueno too, but the weather confined us to museums. The Western Art Museum had me shookt.

What was shooking about it? :p

We don't have any art galleries in my home town, and it's the first big one that I've been to. Seeing the famous artwork in library books is one thing, but seeing them in person is really something else.
Also it's for free for the day. We don't have that kind of patronage in my town.

hwalker84

Can anyone getting ready to come back that's in the US grab me a bottle of Yamazaki 18 and Hibiki 21? I'm super serious if someone was willing (inredible expensive but I got money). My boy just got back and I thought maybe he was going to surprise me but he didn't.... :(

Akihabara was insane, I normally just end up standing there dumbfounded and not knowing where to go first!

It's even more insane today with the festival. I didn't even know it was happening before I arrived. I think I'll hate myself forever for forgetting my zoom lens in my room.

Mendrox

Was at Nara Deer Park today, was totally awesome and I can absolutely recommend it. The Great Buddha looks amazing too. I love it here.

Tomorrow I will visit Hiroshima and then the next day Osaka, after that back to Tokyo and visiting the Persona 5 Café and Akihabara a second time. Friday is my last day and then I will travel to Ko Samui to chill out haha

My body is destroyed and I am a bit sick.

Foolworm

So I came back from a week in Tokyo. Did not realize it was Golden Week when I went (the warning emails from the airline to check in early should have been a tipoff) but it was interesting. Narita terminal 3 was extremely bare bones but then I wasn't there to gawk at the architecture.

Took a bunch of photos and generally had a great time. Hostel had some epic Smash battles in the lobby. My next Japan trip will probably be to the Keihanshin area though.

I fly out tomorrow and I'll be in Tokyo Monday night, staying in shibuya for 6 nights before hitting osaka and kyoto for 3 nights each. Packing my stuff and getting hyped!

Tomorrow I will visit Hiroshima and then the next day Osaka, after that back to Tokyo and visiting the Persona 5 Café and Akihabara a second time. Friday is my last day and then I will travel to Ko Samui to chill out haha

My body is destroyed and I am a bit sick.

I hope you feel better quickly!

Did you know where the persona 5 cafe was? I might have a look if I'm nearby

Can anyone getting ready to come back that's in the US grab me a bottle of Yamazaki 18 and Hibiki 21? I'm super serious if someone was willing (inredible expensive but I got money). My boy just got back and I thought maybe he was going to surprise me but he didn't.... :(

I'm planning on seeing the Yamazaki distillery and getting a bottle but I'm not in the US sorry :( I think I'll get a bottle of 12 year, but it depends on price. 12 year is like 200 AUD where I'm at.

hwalker84

I fly out tomorrow and I'll be in Tokyo Monday night, staying in shibuya for 6 nights before hitting osaka and kyoto for 3 nights each. Packing my stuff and getting hyped!

I hope you feel better quickly!

Did you know where the persona 5 cafe was? I might have a look if I'm nearby

I'm planning on seeing the Yamazaki distillery and getting a bottle but I'm not in the US sorry :( I think I'll get a bottle of 12 year, but it depends on price. 12 year is like 200 AUD where I'm at.
Wow its like $80 US here.

Did you know where the persona 5 cafe was? I might have a look if I'm nearby.

It's less than 5 minutes of walking away from Ikebukuro station, but it's a little hard to find because the entrance is so narrow and there is no storefront. Just a poster in front of an elevator.
C_SvHMHUQAEoN0p

This is just a small cafe. The real big P5 merch store is also in Ikebukuro but I haven't been there yet.

Have a safe trip, dude.

danowat

Banned
Last day in Tokyo today, weather looks a bit iffy, but off to Asakusa and a trip on the river bus to Hams Rikyu.

Off to Kyoto tomorrow, it's been a blast, can't believe we're already on our last day, we walked 10 miles yesterday, which is pretty insane for us!.

Weirdly it hasn't felt as foreign as I expected it too, I wonder if the homogenization of the world due to globalisation has seeped into (tokyo)?

Maybe Kyoto will feel different, but I'm excited to find out.

Mendrox

Last day in Tokyo today, weather looks a bit iffy, but off to Asakusa and a trip on the river bus to Hams Rikyu.

Off to Kyoto tomorrow, it's been a blast, can't believe we're already on our last day, we walked 10 miles yesterday, which is pretty insane for us!.

Weirdly it hasn't felt as foreign as I expected it too, I wonder if the homogenization of the world due to globalisation has seeped into (tokyo)?

Kyoto will feel totally different. Feels like two different worlds lol Tokyo feels like any other megacity tbh.

Big cities are the same no matter where you are in the world lol. Kyoto will feel very different, mostly cause its meant to be "The Japanese" city more or less.

danowat

Banned
That's good to hear, Tokyo is great, but after today, a change of pace might be welcome.

Asakusa was nice, but my god was it busy!.

Tokyo Tower was pretty cool! Even though the weather ruined the view, it still had this mystical feel. The animate there had a Final Fantasy 30th anniversary display, but they were still shelving the merch when I got there.

Boy, all this construction going on for the olympics sure spoils a lot of great views.

P.S.: Thank you, Yakuza 0 for helping me understand what those "60 minute DVD rental" signs are for. I was so confused when I saw it.

Was able to switch a week in early December to January, so I can stay three weeks in Japan.

First week in Tokyo, the next in Osaka and the last one in Kyoto. Was thinking about going to Hokkaido for that last week but an entire week in Kyoto sounds too neat. And well... There is always a third time. Also already found a comfy inn in the middle of Kyoto.

Darksol

That's good to hear, Tokyo is great, but after today, a change of pace might be welcome.

Asakusa was nice, but my god was it busy!.

If you're going to Kyoto and go to any remotely famous shrine you're going to see bigger crowds than you ever thought possible :p

Yo donquoite or whatever sells sex toys, that's crazy shit y'all. Anyway, any great stripclubs or nightclubs in shibuya? Ones that are chill with foreigners and won't mug me or whatevs? Staying here for a week 🎉👌

Top Bottom