• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Aurelius

This might be a bit niche, but we are going to Tokyo this fall and I want to take my 2,5 year old to an aquarium. I'm thinking about the Shinagawa Aquarium. But there is also a place called Shinagawa Aqua Park nearby. What is the difference and which one is more suited for children?

Also thinking about taking him to the Subway museum and Police museum. He loves trains and police cars. Has anybody been there?

danowat

Banned
Thanks for that!

I read that Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum is currently undergoing construction - is it still worth visiting? Anything else in Hiroshima I should consider?

Yes. Visit Miyajima as well as the Peace Museum + Park and eat Hiroshima style okonomiyaki.

+1, worth a visit even with the construction, although we found it quite emotionally draining.

As for Okonomiyaki, I can thoroughly recommend the Okonomiyaki Village http://www.okonomimura.jp/foreign/english.html

18556039_101549214555xsk70.jpg

18581501_101549214559hkkn4.jpg

18485599_101549214560uijo6.jpg

InsaneMonkey

Neo Member
Yes. Visit Miyajima as well as the Peace Museum + Park and eat Hiroshima style okonomiyaki.
+1, worth a visit even with the construction, although we found it quite emotionally draining.

As for Okonomiyaki, I can thoroughly recommend the Okonomiyaki Village

Thanks for the quick replies!

and WTF is that a building full of Okonomiyaki???? Thanks for the recommendation, will definitely go.

Zatoth

Quick question about Mt. Fuji.

It is possible to head from Shinjuku to the 5th station, Climb Fuji and head back to Tokyo the next day, right?

ys45

Alright !

I never really posted a lot in here but I check often the thread to get tips and tricks about Japan Travel :)

So I'm leaving next week on Wednesday and will be 10 days in Tokyo, starting to get nervous now lol, first time I travel alone without my GF .

Went to Japan last year and stayed a total of 3 days in Tokyo I really liked it so I decided to come go back this year and stay only in Tokyo.

I watched a bunch of tourism and Jvlog videos on Youtube for places to visit.
Will probably spend a whole day in Akihabara visiting and doing some shopping

I will also go back to Ikebukuro and Shibuya.
What are the other wards that could be interesting? I know about Ginza I was thinking about going there but is there any other recommendations?

Alright !

I never really posted a lot in here but I check often the thread to get tips and tricks about Japan Travel :)

So I'm leaving next week on Wednesday and will be 10 days in Tokyo, starting to get nervous now lol, first time I travel alone without my GF .

Went to Japan last year and stayed a total of 3 days in Tokyo I really liked it so I decided to come go back this year and stay only in Tokyo.

I watched a bunch of tourism and Jvlog videos on Youtube for places to visit.
Will probably spend a whole day in Akihabara visiting and doing some shopping

I will also go back to Ikebukuro and Shibuya.
What are the other wards that could be interesting? I know about Ginza I was thinking about going there but is there any other recommendations?

If you are staying on the Yamanote, check out Ueno and Yanaka for sure. Also, don't forget Asakusa. I also recommend spending a day outside of the city in either Kawagoe or Kamakura.

Yeah Kamakura is nice.

As for Tokyo I always also liked Odaiba. Cool place. And you take the skyrail or whatever you call it to get there and when it goes in that circle over the water you have some amazing views so even the transportation to get there is dope.

Osukaa

Yeah Kamakura is nice.

As for Tokyo I always also liked Odaiba. Cool place. And you take the skyrail or whatever you call it to get there and when it goes in that circle over the water you have some amazing views so even the transportation to get there is dope.

Odaiba is one of my favorite places as well. You can just chill by the sea and get nice pictures of the rainbow bridge. Last time I went there it was almost empty by the water so me and friends just shopped at the mall then went by the water and just chilled and ate for around 2 hours just relaxing. If i could live in a small hut right there id be set lol.

ys45

Oh yeah I forgot to mention this but last year I went to Odaiba during the day .
I'd like to go back during the evening to see the Rainbow Bridge and probably more stuff I have not seen yet .

Thx guys il add these suggestions to my list

Osukaa

Oh yeah I forgot to mention this but last year I went to Odaiba during the day .
I'd like to go back during the evening to see the Rainbow Bridge and probably more stuff I have not seen yet .

Thx guys il add these suggestions to my list

Nice! Hope to see some cool pictures of your trip!

Really liked the vintage arcade at one of the malls in Odaiba. Only place in Japan I've found that has pinball, and I just like old electro-mechanical games in general.

parasight

I feel like this question probably gets asked all the time, but I wanted to see what you guys thought about getting the 14 Day JR Pass for my trip. I'll be landing in Tokyo and taking the train immediately to Osaka where I will be staying for 4 days. I'll be taking a day trip to Kyoto during my stay there. Then back to Tokyo where I'll stay for the remainder of my trip. From what I've seen, people say it's best value comes from travelling outside of Tokyo.

I feel like this question probably gets asked all the time, but I wanted to see what you guys thought about getting the 14 Day JR Pass for my trip. I'll be landing in Tokyo and taking the train immediately to Osaka where I will be staying for 4 days. I'll be taking a day trip to Kyoto during my stay there. Then back to Tokyo where I'll stay for the remainder of my trip. From what I've seen, people say it's best value comes from travelling outside of Tokyo.

If you're only going to Osaka and Kyoto outside of Tokyo, you should get these discount Shinkansen tickets:
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/FPK1J01131MKC/

A 14 day JR Pass is a waste of money if you're spending most of your time in Tokyo.

srst

Try this
http://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/

Interesting. Any recommendations of places I need to visit to experience Halloween in Tokyo?

Shibuya is the big one, but almost any place that has fun people will have an event. Even in my small city it was like a mini Shibuya that weekend, tons of people out drinking and having fun while dressed up jumping from place to place for 2 days.

Dartastic

Hey everyone!

So my girlfriend and I are going to Japan for a little over two weeks in early September and we're just starting to plan our trip. We're flying into Nagoya, but from there all bets are off. We know we want to visit Tokyo, and I'm 95% sure we're going to go to Mt. Fuji, but that's really the only plans we have. I think we need to start with potential cities to visit. What do you guys think would be the smartest plan of attack for 2 weeks in Japan? I was thinking maybe Nagoya (duh) Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, and Tokyo. I kinda want to see northern Japan also, but I think it may be a bit too difficult due to the amount of time we have there. Thoughts?

Really liked the vintage arcade at one of the malls in Odaiba. Only place in Japan I've found that has pinball, and I just like old electro-mechanical games in general.

I think my son and I went to the place that you're talking about before we visited Joypolis. Full of old style mechanical arcade machines. Next to a "mystery box" shop where you pay yen and pick a box and get to keep whatever junk is inside it. Cool place.

Hey everyone!

So my girlfriend and I are going to Japan for a little over two weeks in early September and we're just starting to plan our trip. We're flying into Nagoya, but from there all bets are off. We know we want to visit Tokyo, and I'm 95% sure we're going to go to Mt. Fuji, but that's really the only plans we have. I think we need to start with potential cities to visit. What do you guys think would be the smartest plan of attack for 2 weeks in Japan? I was thinking maybe Nagoya (duh) Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, and Tokyo. I kinda want to see northern Japan also, but I think it may be a bit too difficult due to the amount of time we have there. Thoughts?

Stick to the major cities you've already mentioned. They offer more than enough to easily fill 2 weeks. What in particular is it that you want to see in northern Japan?

donjezzy

I'm in Tokyo for the last day of my vacation and I'm looking to buy some DB figures/ posters and Naruto headbands souvenirs for my friends. I couldn't find any specific place in Akihabara with it and the Jump store at the Tokyo Station was a bit underwhelming. Would anyone have any ideas on where to go?

kubus

I'm in Tokyo for the last day of my vacation and I'm looking to buy some DB figures/ posters and Naruto headbands souvenirs for my friends. I couldn't find any specific place in Akihabara with it and the Jump store at the Tokyo Station was a bit underwhelming. Would anyone have any ideas on where to go?
Nakano Broadway? Too much Dragon ball stuff to count there so I'm sure you will find what you're looking for. Also way easier to browse than Akihabara.

Banjoman

So, next week I'll leave for Japan and I'm having a doubt.
I already went a couple of years ago for 3 weeks and I remember when you arrive you have to write where you'll stay and for how much time. Now I'm going for 50 days and I'll stay in many different locations (as a guest and not in an hotel or hostel). What will I have to write?
A lot of people travel around the country so I guess it's a pretty common situation.

So, next week I'll leave for Japan and I'm having a doubt.
I already went a couple of years ago for 3 weeks and I remember when you arrive you have to write where you'll stay and for how much time. Now I'm going for 50 days and I'll stay in many different locations (as a guest and not in an hotel or hostel). What will I have to write?
A lot of people travel around the country so I guess it's a pretty common situation.

Just write the first place you will be staying at. It will only be an issue if they decide they need to deport you.

Top Bottom