• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Damaged

I will have the plane ticket covered for me, I want to visit multiple places in Japan, Tokyo Osaka, the more rural places as well. And doing pretty much everything, going to bars, eatting at hole in the walls.

Its a 'how longs a piece of string' question. If your travelling allot a JR East train pass can save allot of cash. All the other stuff is variable depending on how much you want to spend, can be done on a tight budget if you are careful

I had been in Nikko a few times. Is a 1:30-2h train ride but is a good 1 day trip. I recommend to do it at least one time.

Brilliant, thanks allot :) have done Tokyo a couple of times now but somehow have missed Nikko

Has anyone ever been to Nikko? I've got two weeks in Tokyo coming up in May and was wondering if its possible to go for a day trip to some of the Temples there as the pictures I have seen look stunning. I'll be staying in Shinjuku and would probably pick up a three day Kanto area pass to do there, Fuji and Takao without spending a fortune on my suica card.

Nikko is beautiful and definitely worth visiting.

Tayaya

I would honestly only recommend the Rail Pass if you plan on hitting multiple major cities via Shinkansen. Other than the train from the Airport (assuming you take the N'EX from Narita into Tokyo as most do), most of the trains in and around the city are pretty cheap. Even if you account for 4000 yen each way on the N'EX (that's what the fare was last time I went I think), it would take a lot of local trains to add up to the cost of the rail pass. One round trip on the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka and back, though, and that rail pass is mostly paid off.

While I recommend getting out of Tokyo and into "real" Japan, a lot of first-timers or travelers that don't know much Japanese can still do a lot in and around Tokyo for 1-2 weeks sticking to local trains.

As for my recommended go-to spots:
Akihabara (Tokyo) and Den Den Town (Osaka) of course.
Nakano (short trip from Tokyo Station on the Chuo line).
Kokubunji (A little further down the Chuo Line than Nakano. Small urban area with some great game centers and independent game shops).
Sannomiya (A really great shopping and entertainment area in Kyoto)
Ootsu (A small lakeside resort town not far from Kyoto).

Also - Hyperdia is a great tool for those moments you find or hear about something new to do but don't know how to get there. Plug in the names of the nearest train stations, and Hyperdia will show you all the ways you can get there - What trains, their schedules, any transfers (and how much time you'll have to make them), and the fares. It's an absolute godsend whether you are just visiting or are living there long term.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
What's hyperdia do that google maps doesn't?

Also plenty of 'real Japan' inside Tokyo people just need to leave Akiba :v

Lazlo

Finally got around to doing my calculations for how much I spent on trains. Mind you this is shinkansen only and doesn't include lots of in-city transport where I just flashed the pass.

2 Week Green Pass: $600 usd
Shinkansen Trips: 21
Cheapest Trip: Shin-Osaka to Kyoto (¥3,570)
Most Expensive Trip: Tokyo to Shin-Osaka (¥18,920)
Total Fare Cost: ¥79,330
Total Seat Cost: ¥126,090
Combined Fare Total: ¥205,420

Definitely was worth it for me :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any good places near to chiba or Tokyo that have lots of arcade machines? We went to joypolis at Tokyo decks but it was mostly rides and UFO catchers. My son wanted a proper arcade. Probably doing ueno zoo today (had a quiet day at home yesterday)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Google maps seems more than fine for daily use. Maybe every stoppage or delay won't appear but I don't know what else the pay services offer.

Any good places near to chiba or Tokyo that have lots of arcade machines? We went to joypolis at Tokyo decks but it was mostly rides and UFO catchers. My son wanted a proper arcade. Probably doing ueno zoo today (had a quiet day at home yesterday)

Just go to Akihabara and go to any Sega or Taito building. First floor is UFO catchers, but head upstairs and you'll find lots of arcade machines.

My guess is no, but does pinball exist in any Japanese arcades? I assume the closest I could get is hanging out in a smoky pachinko parlor.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
My guess is no, but does pinball exist in any Japanese arcades? I assume the closest I could get is hanging out in a smoky pachinko parlor.

I've seen some mikado and taito locations with machines, but literally like 1-3 each.

If you go to Odaiba, the big Decks building has a retro mall amusement place inside and I think they have some.

http://www.odaiba-decks.com/index.php?mode=shop&page=detail&code=114

Edit: Yep they have some

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY6qPvmOqqs

Its a 'how longs a piece of string' question. If your travelling allot a JR East train pass can save allot of cash. All the other stuff is variable depending on how much you want to spend, can be done on a tight budget if you are careful

Brilliant, thanks allot :) have done Tokyo a couple of times now but somehow have missed Nikko

Nikko is definitely worth a visit. Two things:

- If you use JR, there are not a lot of train options from Tokyo. It was one of the few days during our trip last month for which we actually had to plan (and run to make our connection!). If we'd missed our connection, we would have turned back.

- The main gate of the Toshogu shrine is completely covered up for renovation. Still worth a visit for the rest of the complex. Same goes for the Rinnoji temple. Just a heads-up to avoid disappointment.

Pics from yesterday:
iwbMVJNRSoStg.jpg

Checked out the Skytree. Didn't go up though.

i2febclfGvCNw.jpg

I did check out the Ghibli shop at the Skytree.

ib2DRWC1qA8mPP.jpg

And I went to Chiba park. It had flowers.

ibbiF7kWXn3DhL.jpg

And an old steam train

ibliaREymHL0s2.jpg

There were also a shrine next to the park. Was closed when I was there though.

And pics from today:
ifPpb2Cve34an.jpg

Pokemon Center

ibqHzFWbhFpmid.jpg

The giant Gundam statue in front of Diver City Tokyo

iWtk0C0ozd42J.jpg

There were also an event at Diver City Tokyo where an idol group called Rev. from DVL performed

iMen6YBg6afuz.jpg

Spent enough time in Odaiba to get a night shot at the Gundam statue too

iGk4ea0oeCsY1.jpg

Palette Town ferris wheel

iEQRmpLH0v5Ky.jpg

Statue of liberty

inj7omp3JgL3A.jpg

The rainbow bridge and Tokyo tower in the background

ieETr4jAO2wiY.jpg

Capcom store

Damaged

Nikko is definitely worth a visit. Two things:

- If you use JR, there are not a lot of train options from Tokyo. It was one of the few days during our trip last month for which we actually had to plan (and run to make our connection!). If we'd missed our connection, we would have turned back.

- The main gate of the Toshogu shrine is completely covered up for renovation. Still worth a visit for the rest of the complex. Same goes for the Rinnoji temple. Just a heads-up to avoid disappointment.

Thanks for the info, I'm assuming a Suica card would work for all the non JR lines?

I had seen that the Toshogu gate was covered and was debating going somewhere else as I've only got the one day there but if the rest of it is worth a look I'll keep it on the list. I'm assuming that the trains still run lateish back to Tokyo?

Thanks for the info, I'm assuming a Suica card would work for all the non JR lines?

I had seen that the Toshogu gate was covered and was debating going somewhere else as I've only got the one day there but if the rest of it is worth a look I'll keep it on the list. I'm assuming that the trains still run lateish back to Tokyo?

My wife and I bought the Nikko Pass back in 2010:
http://www.tobu.co.jp/foreign/pass/2day_nikko_pass.html

I'm finally starting to plan now (at least the first 2 days with the Osaka Amazing Pass):

Amount I'd have spent without the OAP? 11000 yen.
With it? 900 (I want to go to Spa World, and that's the only thing I need to pay for).
WHAT.

Also, at the risk of being insane...where are the good spots to eat in Osaka?

Also, at the risk of being insane...where are the good spots to eat in Osaka?

Input this in Google Maps: 自家製太麺 ドカ盛 マッチョ 難波千日前, 中央区日本橋2-7-22 Osaka, Ōsaka-fu

IMG_5118.JPG

Dogamori Maccho

Follow the directions, go inside and order the normal ramen with garlic and big noodles. No English whatsoever, but it's a vending machine ticket place, and the employees will help
you out.

Fn6D5Wg.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We took an extra suitcase to load up with food. A years supply of dinner curry and pepperonchino :D

Mikehattstu, nice photos, was at odaiba a couple of days ago, missed the singers. Seems like its worth going there again, didn't know they had a retro arcade either

Mikehattstu, nice photos, was at odaiba a couple of days ago, missed the singers. Seems like its worth going there again, didn't know they had a retro arcade either

They were only there yesterday, so it was just pure luck that I was there. They launched their first single or something.

And there's also (at least) 2 more arcades in Odaiba.

One is on the 6th/7th floor of Diver City Tokyo. If you go to the 7th floor there's an area where you can play as much as you want for some set price.

The other is Leisure Land. It's the building next to Palette Town.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So this thread seems to get the most japan gaffers in, so it's time for my yearly 'how can I watch Japanese TV abroad?' question.

Have a willing host family (my in laws), and can get Internet installed. Was thinking a nasne, and then accessing it from my PS4 in the UK, but I think it might be restricted to a home network. Or there is a thing called a 'recbox' that supports remote access but I can't find out much in English about it.

So this thread seems to get the most japan gaffers in, so it's time for my yearly 'how can I watch Japanese TV abroad?' question.

Have a willing host family (my in laws), and can get Internet installed. Was thinking a nasne, and then accessing it from my PS4 in the UK, but I think it might be restricted to a home network. Or there is a thing called a 'recbox' that supports remote access but I can't find out much in English about it.

http://www.fengyunzhibo.com/space/japan.htm?from=index

Although, if I had to watch Japanese TV on a regular basis, I think I'd kill myself.

Food, celebrities or celebrities eating food. WTF.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'll livestream you my TV from my ipad livestream app for ¥80,000 a month ( ≖‿≖)

And JP tv isn't all that bad. I like some of the food shows but the variety shows and all the shallow stuff are garbage.

Tayaya

What's hyperdia do that google maps doesn't?

Also plenty of 'real Japan' inside Tokyo people just need to leave Akiba :v

Last time I was in Japan, "smartphones" were not a thing, and I still had hardcore keitai envy (I think the RAZR had just come out over here). Hyperdia was great for me back then. If Google maps does it better these days, then yeah that would be the way to go.

Jeez I was only trying to help....

Saw a guy run head first into train taking off(most likely was very drunk)

I ran to help him and got pushed away by a Japanese lady who looked like she knew what she was doing. Then was just a nosy onlooker.

Luckily it seems like he is going to be okay... but the thing that freaked me out is when I searched for it on twitter to check on the guy, this is what came up"

'上中里にて今日遊びに来てた外国人さんを見かけるなど"

"At kami-naka zato: Saw the foreigner that came to play today , etc...."

I don't even know how to take it, but it semi freaks me out that I'm being watched and if I rush to do something people will write about it on their twitter!

Wait, how do you search for a guy running into a train on Twitter?

Just searched for the name of the station... it's an out of the way station, there were like 30 tweets about the accident(it caused the trains to be delayed more then 10 mins) and 1 tweet about someone saying they were at the station twice.

Top Bottom