• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

KtSlime

I saw a Japanese car commercial where there was a dude with a giant bird's head for a head and he was handing out flan. Anyone seen this commercial or the car brand? I'm trying to find the video on the internet.
I don't think I have seen that particular commercial, but am familiar with the character, it sounds like a Toyotown commercial by Toyota.

WasMachinator

Neo Member
I'm flying with my best friend to Tokyo on the 30th of july, arriving at 10.30 am 31st of july at narita. And we will leave the 14th of august.
Visiting Japan is something that we've been discussing for like 3 years already.

But that discussion hasn't of yet turned into a travel plan, We are planning to stay the first 4 or 5 days in Tokyo and then on to other cities. while we've got a few ideas on where to go, it is still a clean blanket.

We are two dutch guys in our early twenties, we love technology; (alternative) rock, electronic, drum & bass and dance music(but our appreciation goes beyond those genres); good food, we love whiskey but even more good beers. We have traveled extensively in europe and this is our first trip beyond the european borders.
What we especially enjoy is being drowned in the culture of the country we're in, so what we're going to try is to arrange some couchsurfing possibilities.

So it comes down to a few questions,
What do you all think that are must do's / must see's in tokyo.
What are cities or places that we should or atleast consider visiting.
Any previous experiences with couchsurfing in Tokyo/Japan?

info about these questions or any other info is greatly appreciated :)

I'm flying with my best friend to Tokyo on the 30th of july, arriving at 10.30 am 31st of july at narita. And we will leave the 14th of august.
Visiting Japan is something that we've been discussing for like 3 years already.

But that discussion hasn't of yet turned into a travel plan, We are planning to stay the first 4 or 5 days in Tokyo and then on to other cities. while we've got a few ideas on where to go, it is still a clean blanket.

We are two dutch guys in our early twenties, we love technology; (alternative) rock, electronic, drum & bass and dance music(but our appreciation goes beyond those genres); good food, we love whiskey but even more good beers. We have traveled extensively in europe and this is our first trip beyond the european borders.
What we especially enjoy is being drowned in the culture of the country we're in, so what we're going to try is to arrange some couchsurfing possibilities.

Good beer, eh?

While in Osaka (I'm assuming you're going to Osaka) take the Hankyu Takarazuka line and transfer onto the Minoh line. The last stop on this line is near the Minoh waterfall, which is a nice little hike up to the falls. After hitting falls, get back on the train and get off at Makiochi Station. This is where Minoh Brewing is. Absolutely fantastic beer, and they don't get many foreign visitors. My wife and I visited the brewery this past April, and the employees were pretty stunned to see us turn up. Had a bunch of beers on tap, bought bottles and glassware, and they gave us a tour of the place.

Well the day is finally coming, I leave for Japan on the 30th. I'm staying with a homestay family while I stay there for a month. Just found out they have three children aged 11-16 and wanted to bring some gifts for the family. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to things that are particularly liked from abroad. Perhaps something that would not be easy to find over there.

I'll be asking for more help throughout the trip! thanks.

You couldn't have pushed your trip back one week? I'll be in Tokyo on August 12th and the Summer Sonic music festival is on the 16th and 17th (I only plan on going on the 16th).

WasMachinator

Neo Member
Good beer, eh?

While in Osaka (I'm assuming you're going to Osaka) take the Hankyu Takarazuka line and transfer onto the Minoh line. The last stop on this line is near the Minoh waterfall, which is a nice little hike up to the falls. After hitting falls, get back on the train and get off at Makiochi Station. This is where Minoh Brewing is. Absolutely fantastic beer, and they don't get many foreign visitors. My wife and I visited the brewery this past April, and the employees were pretty stunned to see us turn up. Had a bunch of beers on tap, bought bottles and glassware, and they gave us a tour of the place.

Osaka is definitely on our shortlist, and that sounds really good :), will write it down!

You couldn't have pushed your trip back one week? I'll be in Tokyo on August 12th and the Summer Sonic music festival is on the 16th and 17th (I only plan on going on the 16th).

Sadly not, potential bachelor thesis retry and a wedding I would like to attend have made that not possible :(

matt360

Good beer, eh?

I second this. Minoh is world-class. Both their Stout and Imperial Stout have won "world's best" in international beer competitions. Their W-IPA is also amazing. Basically you can't go wrong with them. They've got a cool story too. The owners are three sisters who inherited the place from their father, who sadly passed a couple years ago. They really know their shit and are well-respected in the craft scene. If you have a chance you should definitely go.

TCRS

Banned
great pictures. the engineer in me especially likes this one:

JaOJ9SV.jpg

Fritz

Reminiscing, I really loved Japan. I dreamed of this trip for years which is kinda setting yourself up for disappointment but it really blew me away nonetheless. I want to go back , with a much more relaxed schedule though. Probably staying in Tokyo with daytrips to the surroundings.

Some things that really stood out to me:

- It's packed. I mean I knew it before but still, this country is packed with people. I feel there were few times I had some alone time. And these times were actually at very expensive hotels. Peace of mind is no steal in Japan.

- It's no problem to get by without speaking japanese and people will go to lengths to help you out but it's also hard to have any meaningful interaction.

- Tokyo. It's really that amazing.

- Beauty is a manifestation of the gods, it's holy and treated as such. This country is really pretty.

- They have a really different attitude towards old=genuine/new=fake stuff. In contrast to Germany after all. I think that has its roots in shinto since everything is animate. Examples: In Berlin there are public outcries over the rebuilding of the cities castle because people feel it would be fake. I don't think this would be an issue in Japan at all. Like some of the shrines being rebuild every year, but have been for centuries.

- Shopping is out of this world especially for a bit smaller guy like myself.

- Food - no words. Not a single bad meal.

- hostels are fantastic.

Accommodation:

NUI Tokyo - an amazing hostel. Spotless, with spacious beds and some neat common areas. A lot of locals hang out at the bar. Good food and drinks.

Hotel Okura Tokyo - stylish luxury hotel with lots of tradition. Loved it.

Hirayu no Mori Onsen Ryokan in Hirayu Onsen - Great Onsen, great Ryokan, great view of the Alps. Talked to a Japanese couple there that said it was great value for money.

Zenkoji Temple Inn in Takayama - Was okay, certainly for the little money it costs. I expected a little more from staying at a temple but it's really just like a christian youth hostel.

AirBnB in Kyoto - a very convenient location in Higashiyama. The family is lovely and the mom spoiled me to no end. They were also completely unobstrusive, the room was nice and very comfortable. But still it was a room in their house. If you can't shake that off it's not for you. Feel free to contact me for the airbnb id.

Visited a fellow traveler I've met at NUI at his Kyoto hostel and man, that was another fantastic option. Piece (no typo) Hostel Kyoto

leroidys

Do you guys have any tips with regards to the JR pass? I calculated out all the city to city travelling, and it would be about $300 paying for it up front per person (2 of us) as opposed to ~$460 each for a 2 week rail pass. The rail pass, however, covers things like buses as well, and I've heard that it is difficult to buy tickets in Japan (my Japanese isn't very good), which is not necessary if you have a JR pass.

Do you think that the price differential is worth the convenience and local transport options?

Thanks for any and all input.

Fritz

I bought my tickets in Japan with zero Japanese and it wasn't a problem.

Also I'd say the JR Pass is not that useful with public transport in the city. Apart from some major lines in Tokyo it would have been useless on my trip. And I'd rather get a Suica card for Tokyo. A guy I met there operated Tokyo only with the JR Pass and it was a pain in the ass going with him somewhere.

scarlet

Do you guys have any tips with regards to the JR pass? I calculated out all the city to city travelling, and it would be about $300 paying for it up front per person (2 of us) as opposed to ~$460 each for a 2 week rail pass. The rail pass, however, covers things like buses as well, and I've heard that it is difficult to buy tickets in Japan (my Japanese isn't very good), which is not necessary if you have a JR pass.

Do you think that the price differential is worth the convenience and local transport options?

I bought my tickets in Japan with zero Japanese and it wasn't a problem.

Also I'd say the JR Pass is not that useful with public transport in the city. Apart from some major lines in Tokyo it would have been useless on my trip. And I'd rather get a Suica card for Tokyo. A guy I met there operated Tokyo only with the JR Pass and it was a pain in the ass going with him somewhere.

Yup it's not that hard buying tickets in Japan. But I used my JR Pass to wandering around the shin osaka station at night lol.

SKINNER!

Banned
Finalised my itinerary last weekend. Decided against going to The Fuji-Q theme park since many reviews online claim its queues are crazy long. Figured if there is no chance we can ride all the rides in one day then what's the point? Decided instead to head to Hiroshima and spend a night there and then check out Kyoto and Nara on our way back to Tokyo. Only a month to go now. Can't wait!

The rail pass does NOT cover buses in cities like Kyoto.

I had a 7 day JR Pass while in Osaka/Kyoto, and I just used my Pasmo (Suica/Icoca/whatever else) card whenever I used Keihan trains and in Tokyo.

If you use a ticket machine to buy tickets they usually have an option for English.

I had to buy a ticket manually 2 times or so from a ticket seller/train operator too and it went fine without knowing Japanese. Make sure you know the name of the station you're going to if doing that though.

Fritz

I had to buy a ticket manually 2 times or so from a ticket seller/train operator too and it went fine without knowing Japanese. Make sure you know the name of the station you're going to if doing that though.

I looked up the connections on hyperdia.com and printed them out. Showed them to the lady at the JR counter and BAM reserved seat get.

I looked up the connections on hyperdia.com and printed them out. Showed them to the lady at the JR counter and BAM reserved seat get.

Oh, yeah. I got some tickets from the JR counters at Kyoto, Shin-Osaka and Maibara too, but they could understand/talk basic English.

Got tickets manually 7 times if you count the JR ones I got too.

maomaoIYP

It's only worth it if you can squeeze two trips of shinkansen and considerably daily travelling on a JR line.
For example what I like to do is on day 1 take the narita express into Tokyo, then shinkansen into Osaka. I stay at Osaka and then take daily trips on the JR out to Kyoto/Nara regions. Then I take the shinkansen back to tokyo and spend the rest of the 7 day pass there.

It's only worth it if you can squeeze two trips of shinkansen and considerably daily travelling on a JR line.
For example what I like to do is on day 1 take the narita express into Tokyo, then shinkansen into Osaka. I stay at Osaka and then take daily trips on the JR out to Kyoto/Nara regions. Then I take the shinkansen back to tokyo and spend the rest of the 7 day pass there.

Hm... Looking at the itinerary leroidys shared earlier:

June 17-22 : Tokyo [booked]
June 23 : spend the night in Hakone
June 24-25 : Stay two nights at a b&b in the countryside around Shizuoka
June 26 - July 2: Stay in Kyoto, with trips to Nara (2 Days?) <--- need lots of help here
July 3: Spend the night at Koya-san
July 4-7: Back in Tokyo
July 8: Fly out in the early AM

If it's the same now and you're not gonna visit Osaka, Kobe and/or Hiroshima, it's most likely not worth getting a JR Pass.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, more people need to visit Osaka. And then they need to let me know when they're in town, so I can take them to our weekly video game developer/publisher meet-up.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Finalised my itinerary last weekend. Decided against going to The Fuji-Q theme park since many reviews online claim its queues are crazy long. Figured if there is no chance we can ride all the rides in one day then what's the point? Decided instead to head to Hiroshima and spend a night there and then check out Kyoto and Nara on our way back to Tokyo. Only a month to go now. Can't wait!

You have priority queues at Fuji-Q so you can ride all in a day.

WasMachinator

Neo Member
Man, more people need to visit Osaka. And then they need to let me know when they're in town, so I can take them to our weekly video game developer/publisher meet-up.

I need to remember this, for when I am there in august.
what do you guys do in the weekly meet-up?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Ah ok! Cool! might still look into that. Was wanting to check out Kawagoe instead but we'll see. Thanks for letting me know :)

Remarkable pictures and it certainly brings back memories for me too :)

They cost ¥1000 I think but is ok to avoid 2h queues on the most famous

Gio-Ji Temple in Kyoto

Ghibli Museum, Tokyo. Thanks to Gromph!!!

Behind Tokyo MGB

Suganuma Village in the Japanese Alps

A photo shoot in Gion, Kyoto

At the flea market, Tokyo international Forum

Street scene in Akihabara, Tokyo

Thanks for sharing! Some gorgeous shots. Love how beautiful and green the area around the temples are. It's this side of Japan I'm most interested in seeing.

Damaged

Got back from Japan yesterday and I already want to go back again, this was my third trip and the country just keeps getting better. Did all the usual places in Tokyo and a trip over to Mt Takao to revisit it from my last trip, also finally made it over to Nikko and it was stunning (even if it didnt stop raining all day).

Went to a little bar in a friend recommended in Shibuya ( https://www.facebook.com/pages/BAR-ロックのこころ/100100653386547 ) and ended up going most nights once we got to know the regulars in there. Would definitely recommend it for a nice friendly place to unwind after the day, plus there is free wifi :)

anyway, a couple of pics

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nPqPZx]

hwalker84

Got back from Japan yesterday and I already want to go back again, this was my third trip and the country just keeps getting better. Did all the usual places in Tokyo and a trip over to Mt Takao to revisit it from my last trip, also finally made it over to Nikko and it was stunning (even if it didnt stop raining all day).

Went to a little bar in a friend recommended in Shibuya ( https://www.facebook.com/pages/BAR-ロックのこころ/100100653386547 ) and ended up going most nights once we got to know the regulars in there. Would definitely recommend it for a nice friendly place to unwind after the day, plus there is free wifi :)

anyway, a couple of pics

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nPqPZx]

Post the whole album.

Top Bottom