• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese All-time Million Sellers list *updated* (DS million sellers reaches 19!)

jesusraz

Good to see confirmation that Love and Berry has cracked a million, as well as the new Kirby DS. I wonder if Itadaki Street and Gyakuten Saiban 4 will have a chance to get to a million. Yoshi is pretty much a certainty...

Neomoto

Something tells me Nintendo has always known perfectly what gamers really want.

Mighty impressive that DS already has 4 slots in the All Time top 10, just incredible. And there is a very good change that DQ IX will make the top 10 also (I don't think it'll beat Pokemon Diamond/Pearl though).

cvxfreak

JoshuaJSlone said:
That sounds a little high. Looking at some old Famitsu lists, it looks like the first GCN release hit nearly 500K while in the top 30 and two months after the release of e+ (when the archive of lists ends) it's not up to 220K.

The N64 release also passed 500K, though, so you might have the factoid of the initial N64+GCN releases summing to a million floating in your head.

EDIT:
Of course, I could be wrong.
vvvvvvv

I'm right.

http://moorangol.altervista.org/others/gamecube.html

Doubutsu no Mori + 641.300
Doubutsu no Mori e+ 386.258
Total: ~1,027,558

Mar

BrandNew said:
It won't beat the top three.

Hmm.. You are probably right. But it will get damn close in my opinion.

Considering there are 4 DS games in the top 10 already, and you just know DQIX will be the most popular game on the system of all time.. You have to think it's going to give that list a good going over.

Awsome sales for Animal Crossing.
But im so afraid that Nintendo might **** up AC Wii....by making it just like the GCN-version, only with little more features. I want my 3D-camera AC with high environment interaction and more character-interaction :-(

AntMurda

Considering there are 4 DS games in the top 10 already, and you just know DQIX will be the most popular game on the system of all time..

It's going to sell millions but it won't beat Mario or Pokemon or Brain Training or Animal Crossing. Those games have much bigger userbases than Dragon Quest will.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Haaaaaang about.

Aren't most if not all the companies on this million+ sellers list of all time for all consoles rather coincidentally the ones people tell you to disregard when you try and determine the success of third party titles on Nintendo machines? Y'know, SquareEnix, Namco-Bandai, Sega, e.t.c...

No wonder it's hard to find many other top sellers otherwise...

Saitou

Banned
SovanJedi said:
Haaaaaang about.

Aren't most if not all the companies on this million+ sellers list of all time for all consoles rather coincidentally the ones people tell you to disregard when you try and determine the success of third party titles on Nintendo machines? Y'know, SquareEnix, Namco-Bandai, Sega, e.t.c...

No wonder it's hard to find many other top sellers otherwise...
Welcom to GAF, enjoy your stay.

Saitou

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
I think third parties are happy with your 300,000 - 400,000 sales on the DS. I know I would be. :D
How quick we forget the days that even 100k sold was a success...

The worst part of DS succeeding to such an extent as it has is our newly warped definition of 'good sales.'

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Back on topic though, it actually seems kind of depressing that the games can be divided up into about 5 or 6 serieseses. Though I did notice that one lone Mahjong game lingering at the bottom. That made me chuckle.

jarrod

Banned
A 3rd party sales argument! We need stats!

Nintendo platforms (48 games total)
Square Enix: 21 games
Bandai Namco: 13 games
Hudson: 4 games
Capcom: 3 games
Konami: 3 games
Ascii: 2 games
Banpresto: 1 game
Sega: 1 game

PlayStation platforms (39 games total)
Square Enix: 16 games
Konami: 7 games
Capcom: 6 games
Koei: 4 games
Bandai Namco: 2 games
Taito: 1 game

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Mr. Pointy said:
Imagine how many copies Mario Monster Quest Fantasy would sell.
It'll actually be called Mario Fantasy: Monster Quest, due to be released on the DS in easter 2008, with a sequel on the Wii called Mario Quest: Forest Monster Fantasy Training due christmas 2008

Predictions are eleven bazillion sales for the former, and eleventeen googleplex octilions for the latter.

Also the carts and DVDs will be made out of moon rock, because there will be a worldwide plastic shortage due to the game packaging alone

ethelred

jarrod said:
A 3rd party sales argument! We need stats!

Nintendo platforms (48 games total)
PlayStation platforms (39 games total)

Er, yeah... and Nintendo's had 10 platforms versus Sony's 4. Only nine fewer million-sellers total with half the number of platforms? That seems like a pretty interesting stat, Jarr.

But you're right, we do need more stats! Here's a fun one -- average number of million-sellers per company per hardware manufacturer

Code:
Square Enix:	Nintendo - 2.1		Sony - 4
Konami:		Nintendo - 0.3		Sony - 1.75
Namco Bandai:	Nintendo - 1.3		Sony - 0.5
Capcom:		Nintendo - 0.3		Sony - 1.5

At least Scamco came out ahead... great news for folks who like shitty anime licenses and Tamagotchi, I guess.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
Er, yeah... and Nintendo's had 10 platforms versus Sony's 4.

Only nine fewer million-sellers total with half the number of platforms? That seems like a pretty interesting stat, Jarr.
To be fair, only 5 Nintendo platforms had 3rd party million sellers on them. Though I guess only 3 PlayStations did too. :p

Also, if we're doing "Sony platforms" what about the PocketStation and MSX platforms?

Evlar

Banned
ethelred said:
Er, yeah... and Nintendo's had 10 platforms versus Sony's 4. Only nine fewer million-sellers total with half the number of platforms? That seems like a pretty interesting stat, Jarr.

But you're right, we do need more stats! Here's a fun one -- average number of million-sellers per company per hardware manufacturer

Code:
Square Enix:	Nintendo - 2.1		Sony - 4
Konami:		Nintendo - 0.3		Sony - 1.75
Namco Bandai:	Nintendo - 1.3		Sony - 0.5
Capcom:		Nintendo - 0.3		Sony - 1.5

At least Scamco came out ahead... great news for folks who like shitty anime licenses and Tamagotchi, I guess.
All you've convinced me is that we don't have much data from the NES and early SNES years.

jjasper

The US name for Smash Bros. should have "Big Ruckus" in the title too

Also I predict DQIX will sell over a million copies in less than a minute. Anyone want to go lower?

ethelred

jarrod said:
To be fair, only 5 Nintendo platforms had 3rd party million sellers on them.

Well, if Nintendo was only successful with half of their consoles, that kinda refutes the notion getting gasmed all over this thread that the company always knows precisely what the Japanese consumer wants and is always the hottest brand in demand. Aside from that, it's hardly Atlus's fault the Virtual Boy tanked.

jarrod said:
Also, if we're doing "Sony platforms" what about the PocketStation and MSX platforms?

The Pocketstation isn't a platform, it's a peripheral. The DC VMU doesn't count as a separate platform, either. ... and, uh, how are you counting MSX as a Sony platform exactly?

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
Well, if Nintendo was only successful with half of their consoles, that kinda refutes the notion getting gasmed all over this thread that the company always knows precisely what the Japanese consumer wants and is always the hottest brand in demand. Aside from that, it's hardly Atlus's fault the Virtual Boy tanked.
Looking at the batting average Sony's having this gen, only having "success" with half your platforms seems the historical norm for any market leader. Not exactly unique to Nintendo at least. ;)

ethelred said:
The Pocketstation isn't a platform, it's a peripheral. The DC VMU doesn't count as a separate platform, either. ...
Why not, it's a discrete, self contained gaming device? Maybe not much was done with it, but it did have a few dedicated software releases at least (Pocket MuuMuu and some Tamagotchi release off the top of my head, probably more).

ethelred said:
and, uh, how are you counting MSX as a Sony platform exactly?
Well, they were a major partner and one of the leading manufacturers and promoters of the format, even worked directly with Microsoft on the spec iirc... but I'll admit open computer platforms are a bit different from closed computer platforms like dedicated game consoles, handhelds or arcade boards. "3rd party" doesn't really have the same application here.

Mar_ said:
Considering there are 4 DS games in the top 10 already, and you just know DQIX will be the most popular game on the system of all time..
I don't think that's a certainty. Dragon Quest IX would have to be the best selling Dragon Quest by 10% to even reach Brain Age 2 and New Super Mario Bros. levels, and that's not considering that they'll keep gaining before (and after) IX is released.
ethelred said:
But nor is it like most companies released anything on the system, to bring some "million sellers per Nintendo hardware" average down for them.

Hus

During my lull at work, I've tabulated the list in Excel. If any of you want specific stats, let me know. In the mean time, here are some totals per system.

Code:
FC	32 Titles	60.47MM Units
FDS	07 Titles	11.48MM Units
GB	25 Titles	59.75MM Units
GBA	05 Titles	12.42MM Units
GC	01 Titles	1.44MM Units
N64	10 Titles	14.44MM Units
NDS	18 Titles	39.37MM Units
PS1	31 Titles	51.68MM Units
PS2	23 Titles	34.46MM Units
PSP	01 Titles	1.16MM Units
PST	01 Titles	1.02MM Units
SFC	29 Titles	55.83MM Units
SS	01 Titles	1.70MM Units
WII	02 Titles	2.64MM Units

jarrod

Banned
I expect quite a few more Square Enix games on this list eventually...

1m+
-Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP)
-Dragon Quest Sword: Kamen no Joou to Kagami no Tou (Wii)
-Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS)
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (DS)
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (Wii)
-Final Fantasy versus XIII (PS3)

2m+
-Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)

4m+
-Dragon Quest XI: Hoshizora no Mamoribito (DS)

....I'd also say some of Squeenix's DS Style Series (language/gardening/yoga/etc nongames) have a shot as well.

felipeko

All plataforms:
Nintendo published games total: 79
Square Enix published games total: 37
Others publishers: 70

For 3rd party sales argument it's only fair if we use Nintendo dominant consoles vs Sony dominant consoles...

FC+SFC (61 games total)
Nintendo: 23
Square Enix: 16
Bandai Namco: 10
Hudson: 4
Capcom: 3
Ascii: 2
BPS: 1
Banpresto: 1
Jaleco: 1
Third party total: 38

PS+PS2 (54 games total)
SCE: 16
Capcom: 5 gçames
Third party Total: 38

jarrod

Banned
felipeko said:
All plataforms:
Nintendo published games total: 79
Square Enix published games total: 37
Others publishers: 70

For 3rd party sales argument it's only fair if we use Nintendo dominant consoles vs Sony dominant consoles...

FC+SFC (61 games total)
Nintendo: 23
Square Enix: 16
Bandai Namco: 10
Hudson: 4
Capcom: 3
Ascii: 2
BPS: 1
Banpresto: 1
Jaleco: 1
Third party total: 38

PS+PS2 (54 games total)
SCE: 16
Capcom: 5 gçames
Third party Total: 38
That's pretty interesting actually. So PlayStation's essentially like Famicom without the massive Nintendo sales. :p

zsidane

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Looking at the sales of FF games, they peaked at VII and have shrunk 25-40% since its release, with FF XII being the worst-selling game in the series since the dawn of the Playstation era...should we expect FFXIII to reverse this trend?
The PS3 really needs to take off if you wanna see that happening...

hnh

Banned
Similar numbers here:

http://vgchartz.com/japtotals.php?page=1

1 Pokemon Red / Green / Blue GB Nintendo 10,216,357
2 Pokemon Gold / Silver GB Nintendo 7,200,968
3 Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire GBA Nintendo 5,356,284
4 Pokemon Diamond / Pearl DS Nintendo 5,225,629
5 New Super Mario Bros DS Nintendo 4,584,285
6 More Brain Training DS Nintendo 4,453,985
7 Animal Crossing: Wild World DS Nintendo 4,314,188
8 Tetris GB Nintendo 4,217,306
9 Super Mario Land GB Nintendo 4,179,936
10 Dragon Quest VII PS Enix 4,100,608
11 Super Mario Kart SNES Nintendo 3,811,774
12 Final Fantasy VIII PS Square 3,629,271
13 Dragon Quest VIII PS2 Enix 3,609,295
14 Super Mario World SNES Nintendo 3,540,941
15 Brain Training DS Nintendo 3,473,685
16 Final Fantasy VII PS Square 3,276,026
17 Dragon Quest VI SNES Enix 3,187,222
18 Pokemon Yellow GB Nintendo 3,122,359
19 Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green GBA Nintendo 3,057,037
20 Dragon Quest IV NES Enix 3,027,563
21 Donkey Kong Country SNES Nintendo 2,996,150
22 Street Fighter II SNES Capcom 2,872,228
23 Dragon Quest V SNES Enix 2,780,942
24 Final Fantasy IX PS Square 2,776,215
25 Final Fantasy X PS2 Square 2,734,784
26 Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins GB Nintendo 2,693,494
27 Final Fantasy VI SNES Square 2,546,398
28 Gran Turismo PS Sony 2,537,732
29 Final Fantasy V SNES Square 2,434,209
30 Dragon Quest Monsters GB Enix 2,336,425
31 Final Fantasy XII PS2 Square 2,329,314
32 Mario Kart DS DS Nintendo 2,297,699
33 Mario Kart 64 N64 Nintendo 2,228,919
34 Donkey Kong Country 2 SNES Nintendo 2,203,009
35 Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters IV GB Konami 2,172,229
36 Everybodys Golf PS Sony 2,125,186
37 Super Mario Allstars SNES Nintendo 2,115,730
38 Final Fantasy X-2 PS2 Square 2,111,206
39 Street Fighter II Turbo SNES Capcom 2,097,579
40 Chrono Trigger SNES Square 2,024,579
41 Resident Evil 2 PS Capcom 2,017,864
42 Dr Mario GB Nintendo 2,001,264
43 Pokemon Emerald GBA Nintendo 1,985,695
44 Super Smash Bros N64 Nintendo 1,969,936
45 Derby Stallion PS ASC II 1,955,562
46 English Training for Adults DS Nintendo 1,947,228
47 Super Mario 64 N64 Nintendo 1,906,661
48 Gran Turismo 3 PS2 Sony 1,868,963
49 Yoshi Island SNES Nintendo 1,763,671
50 Donkey Kong Country 3 SNES Nintendo 1,751,778

Evlar

Banned
Isn't 'hnh' just 'ioi' character-shifted down one character in the alphabet?

Just pointing out the blindingly obvious...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The Sphinx said:
Isn't 'hnh' just 'ioi' character-shifted down one character in the alphabet?

Just pointing out the blindingly obvious...

Isn't having mutiple accounts a bannable offense? :lol

mj1108

hnh said:
Why not? Looks like the same numbers

I can make up numbers too and create a website so people will believe me when in fact I'm pulling numbers out of my ass and every other hole.

I'd wager hnh is ioi.

Top Bottom