• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Impotaku

On the DS i have too many to list, but pretty much nearly any weird & unusual Japanese DS game you can think of as i have over 200+ games and all apart from about 10 are Japanese. If anyone is curious there is a full album of pics here
http://www.retrocollect.com/Members...ction-Photos/2588-Nintendo-DS-collection.html

On Jpn 3DS i have a lot smaller collection

Youkai watch
Youkai watch 2 ganso
Youkai watch 2 honke
Super mario 3D land
Luigi's mansion 2
New super Mario bros 2
Hero bank
Parutena no kagami (aka Kid icarus uprising) Plus complete full set of AR cards
Cooking mama 4
Shinrei Camera ~Tsuiteru Techou (aka spirit camera)
Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb
Taiko no Tatsujin - Don to Katsu no Jiku Daiboken
Mario & Luigi RPG 4
Paper Mario super seal
Dangerous Jiisan to 1000-nin no Otomodachi Ja
Penguin no Mondai: The Wars
Bikkuriman Kanjuku Haoh: Sanmi Douran Sensouki
Game Center CX: 3-Choume no Arino

Senran Kagura
Senran Kagura Burst
Senran Kagura 2
Project X Zone
Super Robot Wars UX
Bravely Default
Gyakuten Saiban 5
Layton vs Ace Attorney
Project Mirai
Project Mirai 2
New Love Plus
New Love Plus+
Rune Factory 4
Etrian Oddesy 4
Etrian Oddesy Millenium Girl (still not even opened this)
EX Troopers
Pro Yakyuu Famista 2011
BlazBlue CSII
Samurai Warriors Chronicle
Oni Training
Animal Crossing
Pokemon Y
Kid Icarus
Luigi's Mansion 2
New Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Mario & Luigi Dream Team (still not even opened this >_<)
Mario Tennis Open
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

That's not including my ambassador/virtual console/eshop stuff. Some of the stuff there is downloaded though. ^^

How is Senran Kagura Burst and Senran Kagura 2? I've been meaning to download SKB on my native NA XL but keep forgetting despite having the upcoming Shinovi Versus (for Vita) reserved at Gamestop

StayDead

How is Senran Kagura Burst and Senran Kagura 2? I've been meaning to download SKB on my native NA XL but keep forgetting despite having the upcoming Shinovi Versus (for Vita) reserved at Gamestop

Burst is good, I'd say that 2 is ten times better though. 10 so far for me has been amazing.

Koppai

...Very tempting. Now, to get that, or to keep trying to wait specifically for the Smash one...
Yeah but is the New 3DS have screens as big as the old XL or no? Im confused...

I hate how small the screens are on the first 3DS.

Koppai

The standard size *new* 3ds has a slightly bigger screen comparied to the original standard model but definitely not as big as the XL/LL
Gah why couldnt they make the LL have the Super Famicom buttons and faceplates...i'm pissed x.x
Whats the size comparison from the old XL to the New 3DS, that would be helpful for me. i dont import JP games very often but tired of the small.screen of the 3DS...

Neo Child

Banned
do people expect to have to pay customs taxes on these?

i remember when my sister imported my ds lite ice blue from japan she payed up the wazoo for customs.

TreIII

Yeah but is the New 3DS have screens as big as the old XL or no? Im confused...

I hate how small the screens are on the first 3DS.

From what I understood, there was going to be a New Smash 3DS LL, too. That's what I was waiting for, unless I'm mistaken?

i remember when my sister imported my ds lite ice blue from japan she payed up the wazoo for customs.

I can't speak for anyone else but I (*knocks on wood*) have never paid any taxes on my imports or any overseas order I've made through other retailers. I live in the US and have used both EMS and FedEx and occasionally DHL but I haven't been taxed on anything

From what I understood, there was going to be a New Smash 3DS LL, too. That's what I was waiting for, unless I'm mistaken?

The Smash Bros limited edition is coming out in November if I recall correctly. It might be october but they did say it will definitely be coming to Japan well after the game has released.

Beckx

In the US, I've never had customs assessed on an import item. Console, game, whatever.

Gah why couldnt they make the LL have the Super Famicom buttons and faceplates...i'm pissed x.x
Whats the size comparison from the old XL to the New 3DS, that would be helpful for me. i dont import JP games very often but tired of the small.screen of the 3DS...

The screens on the New LL are the same as the old LL/XL (top screen is 4.88 in).

The New 3DS has a 3.88 in top screen, increasing from the 3.53 in screen in the old model. Lower screen is 3.33 in compared to 3.0 in.

TreIII

The Smash Bros limited edition is coming out in November if I recall correctly. It might be october but they did say it will definitely be coming to Japan well after the game has released.

Right. If it's November, screw that. Not waiting THAT long to finally play Smash 3DS.

Great thread. I needed this. Thanks!

Going with white New 3DS along with getting Beyond the Labyrinth. Still debating myself on Smash or Monster Hunter 4G. I'm getting the NA release of Smash a week earlier, but the new 3DS has the C-stick which might give me an upper hand against competitors. :D

Plus I prefer the J voices for the Fire Emblem characters not named Ike.

Oh the other hand though, Monster Hunter 4G is a brand spankin new game. But once I start playing Smash on Oct. 3, I'm not going to be playing anything else, most likely, so I think I should save MonHun for the holidays.

Shurayuki

So many people with Love Plus, I can feel the love tonight <3

rinkopapasb3q1x.gif

Just over the 200 euro mark. In hindsight I wish I didn't grab a second faceplate to save some money but it's not too bad. Today's my birthday so I'll just see it as a present to myself, haha.

Oh hey happy birthday to you you.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I just ordered Culdcept, the first Taiko game, and Daigassou Band Brothers P on eBay. I think I'll get the new Taiko game & Karous closer to when I get the system. And then I'll pick up DQ7 sometime after that.

Beckx

Oh, when people are listing game recommendations, maybe list the level of Japanese comprehension required to play?

Like my current library is small but here we go:

• Yokai Watch 2: Honke (light to moderate: will need to know hirigana and some minor translating, or follow walkthroughs; all kanji have furigana; my post here covers the places that I found to be sticking points)
  • Gundam Try AGE SP (minimal: katakana helps but it's simple)
  • Gunvolt (minimal)
  • Mighty Gunvolt (none)
  • 3D Outrun (none)
  • 3D Afterburner II (none)
  • Kirby Fighters (minimal)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I was really surprised that Nippon-Yasan would come so close to the Amazon prices (which I assume are RRP). I expected them to be way cheaper than Play-Asia, but not this! Hopefully there won't be any problems with orders later, but I trust them.

I'm just going to get a Metallic Blue New 3DS LL. Can't go back to a smaller screen.

Impotaku

Oh, when people are listing game recommendations, maybe list the level of Japanese comprehension required to play?

Like my current library is small but here we go:

• Yokai Watch 2: Honke (light to moderate: will need to know hirigana and some minor translating, or follow walkthroughs; all kanji have furigana; my post here covers the places that I found to be sticking points)
  • Gundam Try AGE SP (minimal: katakana helps but it's simple)
  • Gunvolt (minimal)
  • Mighty Gunvolt (none)

Did you ever figure out how to get other youkai to follow you? If you didn't, you just have to talk to wisper in your room & you will have the option there.

Josephl64

I can't speak for anyone else but I (*knocks on wood*) have never paid any taxes on my imports or any overseas order I've made through other retailers. I live in the US and have used both EMS and FedEx and occasionally DHL but I haven't been taxed on anything

Same, I've used pretty much all methods and never had to pay custom, US also.

So many people with Love Plus, I can feel the love tonight <3

Yay, Rinko~

On the subject of import DS/3DS games, what does everyone's library consist of?

Mine-

DS:
Ni no Kuni: Shikkoku no Madoushi
Tokimeki Memorial Girls Side (1 and 2)
FabStyle
Gyakuten Kenji 2
Okamiden
Love Plus +
Kuroshitsuji: Phantom & Ghost

3DS:
Bravely Default
Youkai Watch
Youkai Watch 2 (Ganso and Honke)
New Love Plus
New Love Plus +
Gyakuten Saiban 5
Makai Ouji: Dairiou no Hihou
Time Travelers
One Piece Unlimited Cruise SP

Incoming additions:
Dairantou Smash Bros.
Bravely Second
Final Fantasy Explorers
Monster Hunter 4G (Via bundle)
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby
Daigyakuten Saiban: Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken
Soni Pro

Edit: Forgot a couple titles

DS:
7th Dragon
Blood of Bahamut
Chousoujuu Mecha MG
Doki Doki Majo Shinpan 2 DUO
Dragon Quest IX
Emblem of Gundam
Game Center CX 2
Gyakuten Saiban: Yomigaeru Gyakuten
Gyakuten Saiban 2
Gyakuten Saiban 3
Gyakuten Saiban 4
Inazuma Eleven
Item Getter
JUMP Ultimate Stars
Mugen no Frontier EXCEED: Super Robot Taisen OG Saga
Ouendan 1
Ouendan 2
SaGa 2
SD Gundam G Generation DS
SD Gundam G Generation Cross Drive
SD Gundam Sangokuden
Shining Force Feather
Sigma Harmonics
Slide Adventure: Mag Kid
Soma Bringer
Suparobo Gakuen
Super Robot Taisen K
Super Robot Taisen W
Tales of Hearts
Tales of Innocence
Tales of the Tempest
Zekkyo Senshi Sakebrain

3DS:
Kokuga
Professor Layton VS Gyakuten Saiban
Project X Zone

out of those that I have actually played.... not too much lol

Senran Kagura
Senran Kagura Burst
Senran Kagura 2
Project X Zone
Super Robot Wars UX
Bravely Default
Gyakuten Saiban 5
Layton vs Ace Attorney
Project Mirai
Project Mirai 2
New Love Plus
New Love Plus+
Rune Factory 4
Etrian Oddesy 4
Etrian Oddesy Millenium Girl (still not even opened this)
EX Troopers
Pro Yakyuu Famista 2011
BlazBlue CSII
Samurai Warriors Chronicle
Oni Training
Animal Crossing
Pokemon Y
Kid Icarus
Luigi's Mansion 2
New Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Mario & Luigi Dream Team (still not even opened this >_<)
Mario Tennis Open
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

That's not including my ambassador/virtual console/eshop stuff. Some of the stuff there is downloaded though. ^^

Sadly I don't have much to show since pretty much all my imports have been PS3, Vita, and Wii U with 100% of my games being JP on them.I just started collecting for 3DS...just trying to keep up with new releases is making it harder to catch up on what I missed all these years.

Anyways all I have on 3DS is:

• New Love Plus
  • New Love Plus+
  • Pokemon X
  • Project X Zone

I have Sonipro and Senran Kagura 2 tied up since I bundled them with IA/VT which I have to move to its own order to get my games, and I got Smash Bros. ordered.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Ordered a metallic black LL and then cancelled it when I realized how fingerprinty the metallic coating would probably get. Most likely going to go for a black regular new3DS but I'll wait for somewhere to put up the newly sized screen protectors first.

Also hoping the bottom->top screen scratching problem isn't an issue anymore (no confidence). The first LL I imported got a ding on the top screen during shipping from the bottom screen bezel.

Sadly I don't have much to show since pretty much all my imports have been PS3, Vita, and Wii U with 100% of my games being JP on them.I just started collecting for 3DS...just trying to keep up with new releases is making it harder to catch up on what I missed all these years.

Most of my DS games were through a "gotta collect this" phase, and some of them I just picked in Japan because they were cheap.

Some of them, including all the 3DS games, were wrong bets that they wouldn't be localized

Josephl64

Most of my DS games were through a "gotta collect this" phase, and some of them I just picked in Japan because they were cheap.

Some of them, including all the 3DS games, were wrong bets that they wouldn't be localized

oh when I say "collect" I just mean pick up games I am interested in.

I don't have a US 3DS as I sold mine and the games I had for them(DOA, Samurai Chronicles, FE, etc.), so there would technically be no such thing as a wrong bet for me since that's the only way I could play them.

kubus

Might want to add Hero bank to the list of recommended games it's pretty fun to play, can't wait to get the second game.
Right! I'll add it in a minute.

On that note, I made the game list in the OP simply by going through the old LttP: 3DS LL thread and jotting down every title that was mentioned. If anyone thinks there are some games missing in there, post it here and I'll add it! I deliberately took out games that already have Western localizations though, or the list would get too long. So just looking for Japan exclusives.

Alsooooo, I was thinking about setting up another spreadsheet and make a really detailed list of games with information like eShop price, digital/retail available, level of Japanese skill recommended/needed to play the game, and any other things that might be deemed useful to importers. I tried inserting that info in the OP's list but the game list was simply getting waaay too long. If we were to make a spreadsheet it would obviously be open for editing to everyone so we can share our experience and knowledge!

My list of games btw:
  • Monster Hunter 3G (only played 2 hours and then the Western localization was announced trolololol)
  • Tomodachi Collection
  • Inazuma Eleven GO2 Raimei
  • Inazuma Eleven GO Galaxy Supernova
  • Youkai Watch
  • Inazuma Eleven 1-2-3 Endou Mamoru Densetsu (underway... hopefully arriving soon)
And I'm going to buy some tomatos/songs for the Daigasso Band Brothers P Debut version soon, as I'll likely just keep using that version instead of buying the full version.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Woo! Bought a white N3DS from Nippon!

I've imported a few games and action figures before, but this is my first imported console.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a JP 3DS system for a while, now, because I've heard there are quite a few good exclusives. That, plus the new hardware which I love, and an easy ability to play JP games through the eShop, made now the right time.

Also, Smash Bros doesn't require much reading, lol.

$215 for the system + cover + shipping. Not that bad at all.

That's cheaper than my launch 3DS, and comparable to my LE OG Zelda system. Hell, when it comes to the US, it'll probably be $159 + tax + $20 for a (likely crappier) shell. That's ~$195. $20 premium to have it earlier? Sure! Especially since I love those buttons and I don't have faith they'll make it over here.

Beckx

Did you ever figure out how to get other youkai to follow you? If you didn't, you just have to talk to wisper in your room & you will have the option there.

I did - I don't know how I missed it before. I still need to go back now and try to get some of the special Jibanyan, but Gundam Try AGE pulled me away. NEED MORE CARD DROPS.

------------------------------------------------------

Oh, for people jumping in who want to learn the kana quickly, James Heisig's Remembering the Kana is fantastic.

Now that I've jumped in (White n3DS, dock, and 4 faceplates ordered through Amazon!), does anyone have a recommended place to pick up games? Amazon.JP's prices seem like they're all over the map mostly due to third-party sellers with Amazon fulfillment. Here's what I think I want to start...

Definites:
Daigasso P - This is currently $15 on Amazon.JP! Seems like a steal.
Puyo Puyo Tetris (Why is there a version with "benefits" that's $30 more? Is that just a DLC code for characters? http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00I2EM7Q6/ - Also should the base game really be nearly $50?)

Maybes:
Both Taiko games (how are the soundtracks?)
EX Troopers

It can't really be that bad, can it?!
GCCX3

Any help appreciated! \m/

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Puyo Puyo Tetris (Why is there a version with "benefits" that's $30 more? Is that just a DLC code for characters? http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00I2EM7Q6/ - Also should the base game really be nearly $50?)
The the more expensive one comes with the first print bonus, a code for characters/items in PuyoPuyo Quest, the mobile game.

If you're looking to buy a lot of old games, Amazon JP + a deputy service will be likely be cheaper. For newer games which haven't had much of a price drop yet you may as well buy from any of the popular import shops.

And yes most new 3DS games are $50-$60

Impotaku

For puyo puyo vs tetris that extra version has a code set for puyo puyo quest which is a mobile game/arcade game if i remember correctly. Nothing really essential unless you are REALLY into puyo puyo quest.

Game centre CX san chome no arino is average, it's fun but nowhere near as good as the previous 2 on DS.

The taiko game soundtracks are pretty good but it depends on how much you are into Japanese music. Lots of anime & game songs on them i prefer the second games track list as it has a lot of my fave songs.

Josephl64

Now that I've jumped in (White n3DS, dock, and 4 faceplates ordered through Amazon!), does anyone have a recommended place to pick up games? Amazon.JP's prices seem like they're all over the map mostly due to third-party sellers with Amazon fulfillment. Here's what I think I want to start...

Definites:

Maybes:
EX Troopers

GCCX3

EX Troopers was great, I played it on both PS3 and 3DS and I have to recommend it 100%

Impotaku

Something tells me we probably won't get another GCCX game now after the sales of that last one. They really should have waited for Indies Zero to become free to make it.

Sill there are other games out there to enjoy, besides smash bros which im still undecided on im looking forward to hero bank 2 the most it looks like it's improved on everything from the first game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mua4xqGaozk

Also really interested in the boardgame vdeogame based on Fujiko F Fujio's manga characters Doraemon been the most recognisable. Been a long time since i enjoyed a boardgame videogame, Mario party games don't really do it for me nowdays.

The the more expensive one comes with the first print bonus, a code for characters/items in PuyoPuyo Quest, the mobile game.

If you're looking to buy a lot of old games, Amazon JP + a deputy service will be likely be cheaper. For newer games which haven't had much of a price drop yet you may as well buy from any of the popular import shops.

And yes most new 3DS games are $50-$60
Thank you!
For puyo puyo vs tetris that extra version has a code set for puyo puyo quest which is a mobile game/arcade game if i remember correctly. Nothing really essential unless you are REALLY into puyo puyo quest.

Game centre CX san chome no arino is average, it's fun but nowhere near as good as the previous 2 on DS.

The taiko game soundtracks are pretty good but it depends on how much you are into Japanese music. Lots of anime & game songs on them i prefer the second games track list as it has a lot of my fave songs.
And thank you as well! Definitely going to opt for the cheaper version of PPT.

Shame about GCCX3 but I just remembered I never got 2 so maybe I'll just grab that instead!

Definitely dig anime music and some jrock so I'll just look up the tracklists and see if I can find any good deals! Do they play the same?
Honestly can't recommend it unless you're a big fan at the show and at least pretty decent at Japanese, in which case you'll get a kick out the references and in-jokes. Otherwise, it's pretty mediocre all-around.
I love the show but can't read a lick of Japanese. Seems like a skip... Dang G.REV...
EX Troopers was great, I played it on both PS3 and 3DS and I have to recommend it 100%
Awesome. How do the two versions compare? Which one do you like more?

Thanks all, this thread keeps on giving!

Josephl64

Definites:

Maybes:
EX Troopers

GCCX3

I would say they're both pretty good, but I'm more of a home console person if I can help it so I naturally preferred the PS3 ver.

Takao

Banned
CTRL + F "Meda"

Oh.

Well, there's three Medarot/Medabots games on 3DS. 7 and 8 are RPGs. Dual is an action game.

Okay, cool, just wanted to check, heh.

Daigasso! Band Bros P Debut Code Distribution: Jam with the GAF Band, for free!

iF29g6y052ftf.gif

So, Daigasso! Band Bros P is this third game in the Band Brothers (Jam with the Band) series, which is a rhythm game that's less about following the beat, and instead has you playing virtual instruments. Since DX, the second game in the series, the games have also put a large focus on music creation and sharing. Rather than simply playing music from whatever song list the game contains, you can download songs from a player-created selection of over 6000 songs.

Anyways, it's been out for almost a year now and it's a really solid game, but just this past week it had a relaunch into its 2.0 version. In addition to leading to a host of new features for the game, it came with the release of a free version of the game: Band Bros P Debut. Basically, every full copy of Band Bros P comes with 10 copies of Band Bros P debut to distribute to others. So, both because it's a cool game and I'd love to see more interest in it, and because they offer incentives in the for of in-game currency for getting more people to play, heh, I figure it'd be a good idea to post some codes for Band Bros P Debut in this thread.

As a disclaimer, it's not the full version of the game, but it's pretty damn packed for being totally free. It has basically all the features of the full game, with just the music composition and Vocaloid vocal recording locked (and the latter can be unlocked for a fee). However, while the full version comes with 100 tomatoes (the in-game currency), Debut doesn't come with any, so unless you spend cash to purchase tomatoes so you can download songs, only the 4 preinstalled songs will be on the cart.

Only being able to play 4 songs would kinda suck, but fortunately, this is not the case! Band Bros Debut can play online with players of the full version of the game! Playing online means the opportunity to play songs that other people have downloaded, so you can essentially play the full library of songs in the game for free, if the people you're playing with have downloaded the songs. If you don't want to play online with randoms or maybe want a bit more input in what songs to play, we have an OT for the game here on GAF and we'd be happy to have people join us to play!

So, tl;dr, get the code, join the GAF band.

Anyways, here are my codes, and I'm sure that other GAFfers with codes will post more soon. If you take one, quote the one you take so I can remove it from the list.
Code (Quote)
Code (Quote)
Code (Quote)
Code (Quote)
Code (Quote)
Code (Quote)
Code (Quote)

Okay, sorry for the long post/pitch, ahaha. Figured that a lot of people might not know about the game so I wanted to stick some more info in. But yeah, we'd totally love to get more people together for the next time we have a GAF jam session!
Thanks for the code, mate. Always wanted to kind of check it out/buy it, but it never happened, so this is perfect for me.

This is the code I used:
Code (Quote)

Thanks!

Mask

Grabbed a black Regular New 3DS and an Isabelle faceplate from Nippon Yasan! I'm in the UK though, so not sure if I'm gonna get hit with import taxes..

Anyone else imported from Nippon Yasan to the UK? I think I used EMS shipping.

TreIII

Pulled the trigger on the MonHun 4G N3DS LL + Smash 3DS via Nin-Nin.

I figured that since 4G was going to be the game where I finally get back into the swing of things with MonHun, I might as well get that!

Zornica

Banned
[...]
Definites:
Daigasso P - This is currently $15 on Amazon.JP! Seems like a steal.[...]

damn... 100 tomatoes for 1,480 Yen. I might have to buy it (again lol) It won't get much cheaper than that. Unless you can't use a 100 tomato voucher twice...

Does the new Final Fantasy Explorers game have multiplayer support?

Do you mean like online/local? or multiplayer in general?
being a multiplayer focused hunting game, multiplayer support should be a given.

Koppai

damn... 100 tomatoes for 1,480 Yen. I might have to buy it (again lol) It won't get much cheaper than that. Unless you can't use a 100 tomato voucher twice...

Do you mean like online/local? or multiplayer in general?
being a multiplayer focused hunting game, multiplayer support should be a given.

Well I didn't really know much about it so that is why I was asking, I think that will be the game of choice for me and my friend to play together come December :)

Ugh that Smash New LL looks way better than the first pic of it.

Top Bottom