• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jazz-Hop & Instrumental Hip-Hop |OT| - R.I.P. Nujabes

Jazz Hop/Hip Hop Albums You Have To Listen To If You're Reading This Thread

Jazzmatazz Vol. 1 - Guru

B000003JBM.09.LZZZZZZZ%5B1%5D.jpg

Transit Ride

Mushroom Jazz Volume 1 - DJ Mark Farina

31s5nGCdpKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Warm Chill

Endtroducing - DJ Shadow

dj-shadow-endtroducing.jpg

Midnight in a Perfect World

Center of Attention - InI

InI-Center_Of_Attention.jpg

Microphonist Wanderlust

Clin D'oeil - Jazz Liberatorz

jazz-liberatorz-clin-d-oeil-cd.jpg

Clin D'oeil

Here are some more songs from other artists worth checking out.

The Look of Love - Slum Village

Electric Relaxation - Tribe Called Quest

Who Makes The Loot - Grand Puba

Thisisme - Common

H.I.P. H.O.P. - Jazz Addixx

Eye Know - De La Soul

Everyman - Deda

Jettin' - Digable Planets

Just to Get a Rep - Gang Starr

Chief Rocka - Lords of the Underground

Scratch & Kut - Main Source

Brown Skin Lady - Black Star

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik - Outkast

The Turndown - People Under The Stairs

I Get Physical - Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth

She Said - The Pharcyde

Memories Live - Talib Kweli

The Seed (2.0) - The Roots

93 'Til Infinity - Souls of Mischief

Party & Bullshit - Notorious BIG

Analyze - Sharpshooters

It's Simple - Visioneers

Love - Globetroddas

And a chill, instrumental trip hop song to top it all off.

Funky For You - Deadbeats

IrishNinja

great post JoJoShabadoo, glad it made the top of page 2! co-signing all that too, mushroom jazz is another series that goes on forever but has a lotta hidden gems. Jazz Liberatorz, i like what ive heard but i gotta work through their discography, just like Xen Cuts and DJ Krush.

iavi

I'm gonna have to co-sign Berry Wight's "Music for Imaginary Movies."

I just listened through it on it's Bandcamp here, and this album is fucking phenomenal.

Thanks for that rec, The Boat.

Awesome, lot of stuff I've never heard before - great thread Irish.

Here's a few I haven't seen mentioned;

3:33 - The First Thousand Days

333.jpg

Bandcamp

Aether - Artifacts

aether.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfEIVrceqzw
Bandcamp

Bias - Time and Tide

bias.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VazRU5ptgf0

Daisuke Tanabe - Before I Forget

daisuke.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_SKeV8TS5Y
Soundcloud

*edit, just stumbled upon a few free releases on bandcamp that seem worth a listen;

Plastelin Beats - страна плывущих песков

1713487353-1.jpg

Bandcamp

Hugo Kant - Searching London

kant.jpg

Bandcamp

Bambino - Monitors

bambino.jpg

Bandcamp

kid ness

Here's a group that I've really been loving since I first heard them about a year ago -- A.M. Architect.

3881642025-1.png

A.M. Architect - Unspoken
If you like this track you'll definitely love their album The Road To The Sun, it's phenomenal. Laid back, chilled out vibe with hip hop beats. You can also get their Adaptation EP for free on their bandcamp page, as well as listen to and purchase The Road to The Sun. Think you guys'll like it.

P.S. @Bootaaay, that Aether album is classic, great recs! Btw, Aether is also one of two guys in A.M. Architect.

Miri said:
I'm gonna have to co-sign Berry Wight's "Music for Imaginary Movies."

I just listened through it on it's Bandcamp here, and this album is fucking phenomenal.

Thanks for that rec, The Boat.
Agreed. They're such nice guys too! Just a heads up, their track "Walking By Your Side" (the 4th track on that album) is going to appearing on our upcoming compilation.

Thanks for all the reccomendations, this thread is amazing.

iavi

This thread is killing me. I want to put some of the previous recs on repeat, but there's so much good music in here. Bootaaay, it feels like you just dropped a million bombs with your last few posts. I did have Hugo Kant though.

And CRS, that Blazo release is smooth as hell.

e: OMFG, hahahahahaha, I just hit the clannad remix on 'Beyond the Clouds.' I once tried slicing that track up myself, so I always get a chuckle when I hear it used somewhere else. This is better than anything I ever did though.

If you enjoy Nujabes, Nomak, etc. please, PLEAAASEE check out Michita. Super chill, jazzy intrumental hip-hop in the same vain as other Japanese artists in the genre.

SiLOG.jpg

Softyms
Brakship

Incise. This guy has released two albums, and they're both fucking incredible. Really cool, jazzy hiphop with sweet vocals.

xE4WG.jpg

Scorpion Tail
Magic
Nothing To Do (instrumental, amazing track)

Specifics - Canadian-based jazz-hop group. Great, great stuff. Really underlistened. Check em out.

b5IQ6.jpg

Craig's House
My Life's Work
Look Alive

I was actually trying to find the best tracks to show for those guys. I couldn't, because they're all so damn good.

I love this thread.

CRS

Pimping this here too. A buddy of mine released a new EP. Give it a listen if you like electronic hip-hop. All instrumentals. He's signed to Alpha Pup records too.

2667807670-1.jpg

ELOS - Dang EP

Fang and Problems are my highlights.

Throavium

Lone - Lemurian

lone__lemurian.jpg

Lone - Lens Flare Lagoon

Knxwledge - SKR∆WBERRiES

1354205844-1.jpg

Knxwledge - Draggin

40 Winks - It's the Trip

pmc076_480px.jpg

40 Winks - Mood Adapter

Madlib - Beat Konducta: Movie Scenes Vol. 1-2

beat-konducta-movie-scenes-vol-1-2.jpg

This also

madlibbeatkonducta56.jpg

Madlib - Eternal Broadcaster

Kankick

jqhtll.jpg

Kankick - Daddy Long Loops

Fat Jon

wavemotion.jpg

Fat Jon - Depths

Ichiro_ - Noon EP

1476643816-1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDFDmZu-bFg

Dibiase - Cakeology

mr-dibiase-cakeology.jpg

Dibiase - Be Fly

MF DOOM - Special Herbs Vol. 0-9

nsd120cd-2-back.jpg

MF DOOM - Bergamot Wild

Flying Lotus - 1983

tumblr_lj9vrvJVoK1qckjh8o1_500.jpg

Flying Lotus - Bad Actors

Jneiro Jarel - Fauna

jneiro.jpg

Jneiro Jarel - Indigo Eden

Bahwee - Flavors

FLAVORS_FRONT_500.jpg

Bahwee - All

Dabrye - One/Three

dabrye13.jpg

Dabrye - We've Got Commodity

Onra & Quetzal - Tribute

onraquetzaltributeep.jpg

Onra & Quetzal - Wait

TOKiMONSTA - Midnight Menu

Tokimonsta.jpg

TOKiMONSTA - Madness

Thoraxes

Finally, a fantastic resource for exactly what i've been piecing together for a while.

Subbing and will definitely be watching this thread.

Jaroof

Miri said:
For everybody looking for recs, here's one of my must listens:

emancipator-safe-in-the-steep-cliffs-cover.jpeg

emancipator - Safe in Steep Cliffs

emancipator in general is incredibly solid and should be not be slept on at all, but this album of his, this is some next level shit. While listening, you'll go from tracks like 'Old Devil' Which sounds as if it's prepping your ass for the battle to come, to a track like "Ares" Which basically signals your loss of that battle. It's amazing just how much a story you're able to derive from these instrumentals.

Funny note: He didn't start out as a dude on Hydeout, but he was picked up by Nujabes for a Japanese release after his first album, "Soon it Will Be Cold enough," made it's way around and over the seas.

The Bandcamp

Yes.
This album is extraordinary. I love it from top to bottom.
This album pretty much turned me into an Emancipator fan. A big one. I really can't wait to see what he comes out with next.
This is definitely one of my favorite albums ever.
Any recommendations for Emancipator-like stuff, I'll gladly take.

One of the main things I like about Emancipator is how he used strings in Safe in the Steep Cliffs. <3

kid ness said:
P.S. @Bootaaay, that Aether album is classic, great recs! Btw, Aether is also one of two guys in A.M. Architect.

Mind blown. I didn't know that!
I love Aether and A.M. Architect!

...I'm gonna like this thread :D

WHAT. IS. THIS. Wow this music is awesome! Thanks for sharing this Irish! I've heard of Battlecry before but didn't know about the other songs Nujabes had done. Will definitely look into getting some more of his music. Subscribed!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Glad to see someone mention specifics here! Been listening to them for a year now and they're awesome. I actually stumbled upon them through Uyama Hiroto's A Son of The Sun. Their group is composed of Producer Think Twice and MC Golden Boy. Stars is not on a Specifics album, but is on Think Twice's own album; it is one of my favorite songs ever.

Wp8Iw.jpg

Specifics - Lonely City (song)

front.jpg

Think Twice & Golden Boy (Specifics) - Stars

This thread is so incredible, if anyone didn't know, I rap. My cousin and I are working on a lot of new material that definitely is in the Jazz Hop/Experimental Hip Hop genre. Hope you guys can check it out when we finally come out with our first mixtape. I think you all have good taste so you would like it :lol

abunai

Subscribed, awesome thread. Can't wait for the posthumous Nujabes album on december 3rd, some of these shares will tide me over.

Some stuff I enjoy:

Blazo

Kondor

DJ Okawari

Some might've been posted already, sorry if so.
Best thread on GAF.

The Boat

kid ness said:
Absolutely love this track, Astrid Engberg is such a great vocalist. Have you heard this instrumental track by Berry Weight?
Berry Weight - Yeti's Lament
Yeah, I've heard it all, just chose that one because I thought it fit the thread :p
Miri said:
Wow, I absolutely love this--so much. Thanks for the rec. You a fan of Etro Anime? If you like this, you should definitely check them out.

Summer Rain
Never heard of it honestly, I'm at uni now so I can't listen, but I'll make sure to do later.

Glad you guys liked Berry Weight, it's fantastic.

The Boat

kid ness

LethaL ImpuLse said:
If you enjoy Nujabes, Nomak, etc. please, PLEAAASEE check out Michita. Super chill, jazzy intrumental hip-hop in the same vain as other Japanese artists in the genre.

Incise. This guy has released two albums, and they're both fucking incredible. Really cool, jazzy hiphop with sweet vocals.
So glad you posted these two man! Two of my favorite producers of all time. Michita is fantastic and any fan of Nujabes or that smooth style will love his work & jazzy vibe.

Incise is ridiculously talented, and I love how he has a rotating cast of MCs to keep things interesting. You can get his album "Nobody's Story" for free via Kitchen Dip Recordings. Amazing album, here's a few of my favorite tracks from Nobody's Story.

Incise - Drifting ft. Slur
Incise - Strife ft. Hydroponikz & Anika

I hadn't heard of Specifics before but I'm really digging "Craig's House" ! Thanks a lot man.

Jaroof said:
Mind blown. I didn't know that!
I love Aether and A.M. Architect!
Hahah, I know right! It's crazy.

Hey GAF, I've posted this in the pimp your blog thread but I run a little music site and I mainly post jazzy hip hop type stuff, and a lot of the music in this thread! I think you guys might like it.
www.tenmillionsounds.com

So much music check out and listen to. I wish I could listen music at my current workplace, but at least much these will serve me well on my commutes. Great stuff!

Top Bottom